Constitutional Eligibility And Divided Loyalties: Why Ted Cruz Can't Become President

Cruz is eligible.

It is up to the voters to decide whether or not his loyalties are in question.

I agree on Cruz's eligibility, as the US recognizes only citizens at birth and naturalized citizens. There is no third type. Since natural born citizens are clearly naturalized, that leaves citizens at birth as the only possible category under which 'natural born' could fall.

Though in fairness, for those not born in the US the issue is at least debatable. Take a look at the debates on the eligibility of Mitt Romney's father when he considered a presidential run. The general consensus was that he was eligibile. But the debates appeared legit. They're summarized here:

Romney s birth certificate evokes his father s controversy - Chicago Tribune

<...snip...>

Defining "natural born"

So what is a "natural born" citizen? The Constitution doesn’t specifically say.
In 2008, we reviewed research and polled several legal experts. The consensus was that someone is a "natural born" citizen if they have citizenship at birth and don’t have to go through a naturalization process to become a citizen.

If that’s the definition, then Cruz is a natural born citizen by being born to an American mother and having her citizenship at birth. (This same logic would apply to Obama, even if he were born in another country, which he wasn’t.)

<..snip..>

More at the link..

Is Ted Cruz born in Canada eligible to run for president PolitiFact

You are entitled to your opinion, Kosh, not your own definitions.

:lol:

More proof that the far left will vote far left no matter what and try and justify it however they can..

Obama worse than Bush and the far left will still drone on...

Cruz is eligible.

I agree on Cruz's eligibility, as the US recognizes only citizens at birth and naturalized citizens. There is no third type. Since natural born citizens are clearly naturalized, that leaves citizens at birth as the only possible category under which 'natural born' could fall.

Though in fairness, for those not born in the US the issue is at least debatable. Take a look at the debates on the eligibility of Mitt Romney's father when he considered a presidential run. The general consensus was that he was eligibile. But the debates appeared legit. They're summarized here:

OK, I will agree Cruz is eligible per constitutional definition; Steve is wrong. That makes sense. McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone; his dad was commander there, I believe.

Cruz is eligible.

<...snip...>

Defining "natural born"

In 2008, we reviewed research and polled several legal experts. The consensus was that someone is a "natural born" citizen if they have citizenship at birth and don’t have to go through a naturalization process to become a citizen.

If that’s the definition, then Cruz is a natural born citizen by being born to an American mother and having her citizenship at birth. (This same logic would apply to Obama, even if he were born in another country, which he wasn’t.)

<..snip..>

More at the link..

Problem being....that's not my post. Try again.

More proof that the far left will vote far left no matter what and try and justify it however they can..

As mediocre as has been Obama, Bush did launch the worst foreign policy debacle in our history by invading Iraq. Good heavens, what a moron.

Last edited:

As mediocre as has been Obama, he did launch the worst foreign policy debacle in our history by invading Iraq. Good heavens, what a moron.

Yes the far left believes the history of Iraq started in 2003..

And they still can not admit that Obama is worse. Including all his illegal wars. No due process, etc..

Like I said the far left will drone on...

Cruz is eligible.

OK, I will agree Cruz is eligible per constitutional definition; Steve is wrong. That makes sense. McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone; his dad was commander there, I believe.

Yeah, but with McCain the Panama Canal Zone wasn't US territory, nor was there any law regarding children born there until after McCain was born. I'd say that McCain falls into the same category of eligibility as Cruz: being a citizen at birth by way of his parentage.

Cruz is eligible.

<...snip...>

Defining "natural born"

<..snip..>

More at the link..

Once again showing that the far left is wrong and will not own up to it..

Cruz is eligible.

<...snip...>

Defining "natural born"

<..snip..>

More at the link..

Once again showing that the far left is wrong and will not own up to it..

The 'snip' isn't anything I've quoted. Try again.

Ted Cruz renounced his Canadian citizenship. His loyalties are not in question.

Has Cruz *actually* renounced his Canadian citizenship? Or simply said he renounced his Canadian Citizenship? These aren't the same thing.
If he said he did and didn't Harry Reid would have skewered him by now.

Maybe. Maybe not. Given how adamant that Cruz was that he'd renounce his natural born Canadian citizenship, you'd think he'd at least announce when he'd done it. Yet.....nothing.

no man or woman who actively promotes shutting down the Government should become POTUS. A fool like that gets pissed off and not much telling what can happen if he/she is responsible for making decisions that effect this country.

Shit on Rafael. Quote that.

Has Cruz *actually* renounced his Canadian citizenship? Or simply said he renounced his Canadian Citizenship? These aren't the same thing.

Maybe. Maybe not. Given how adamant that Cruz was that he'd renounce his natural born Canadian citizenship, you'd think he'd at least announce when he'd done it. Yet.....nothing.

You mean like the far left admitting they were wrong about Obamacare?

no man or woman who actively promotes shutting down the Government should become POTUS. A fool like that gets pissed off and not much telling what can happen if he/she is responsible for making decisions that effect this country.

Oh, I agree. But I wouldn't consider that a constitutional issue. More of a dumbass issue.

And the far left propaganda comes in without fail!

But then again the far left will just drone on and on..

Obamacare? Dude, what does that have to do with the definition of natural born citizenship? You're tossing up red herrings.

Oh, I agree. But I wouldn't consider that a constitutional issue. More of a dumbass issue.

And proof that the far left will never admit when they are wrong! They just run on the far left propaganda not based in reality..

Obamacare? Dude, what does that have to do with the definition of natural born citizenship? You're tossing up red herrings.

Another post proving that the far left is in the wrong! Will they admit to it?

And proof that the far left will never admit when they are wrong! They just run on the far left propaganda not based in reality..

Shit on you too. Feel free to quote me on that.

Shit on you too. Feel free to quote me on that.

See the far left never disappoints and continues to back up my claims.

They can not admit when they are wrong!

Forum List

Back