Cool vibrations from 1890 through to the GREAT WORLD WAR

This is the recording that turned me on to these old acoustic treasures. This singer is Harry Lauder. The recording is a purple label VICTOR single-sided 78 RPM from 1912. This tune by this man was recorded multiple times for obvious reasons. It's a good tune. I can tell that the machine playing this recording is a Columbia BI Sterling from 1905.

Here's a 1907 recording that's dedicated to all the graduates out there ---- SCHOOL DAYS.

Before the widespread spread of television, all events, including various inventions and discoveries, were quickly reflected in the appearance of songs on the theme of the event. For example, in 1915 there was a radio telephone, please have a song:

There were cars, here's a bunch of songs about it:

There were flying machines heavier than air, here's a song for you:

The Lusitania is sunk by the Germans, and a song immediately appears. Interestingly, at this time, the US was not involved in the war, and the reaction to the loss of the ship and people : "But all we can do is just sigh!" and "The warning they scorned, And now we must cry in despair." Pretty pathetic.

However, when the United States entered the war, the tone instantly changed, now the songs called for killing germans and Kaiser Bill personally. Remarkable example of freedom of speech and opinion of the creative intelligentsia and the media... From "I didn't rise my boy to be a soldier" to "America here's my boy!" in matter of days

The big show around the Turn of the last Century was FLORODORA. I wanted to give you an idea of seeing the actual show. The first I found is an EDISON Cylinder from about 1902. It is entitled BARN DANCE FROM FLORODORA, Orchestration by the PEERLESS quartet. Look how young these guys look. Then we have the SEXTETTE and the song that was a very big hit, TELL ME PRETTY MAIDEN: NOW, to get an idea of what this looked like on stage, we have a movie from 1930 that shows an act. so let's imagine we have tickets to the show everyone was so agog about -- simply agog:

Last edited:
Ultra rare EXCELSIOR Record played on a real nice rare Victor Model D 1905
This is the very short lived single sided record produced for the Talk-o-phone Company of Toledo, Ohio featuring "The Deed Of The Pen" by the Imperial Orchestra

Last edited:
I've always loved RAGTIME ---- as did Theodore Roosevelt. It was happy, snappy, and tappy... Here is a recording from 1912. RAGTIME LAND.

OKay! So, if you've seen the movie THE STING, you have already heard RAGTIME. So, how did they dance to it. The dance craze began about 1911 ----- by 1913 it seemed that EVERYBODY WAS DOING IT! This will give you an idea of what they were doing...

THAT INTERNATIONAL RAG ----1913 (Collins and Harlan). I actually believe the couple above (the french movie short) may have actually been dancing to this tune as it would have been a big hit that year. I suggest that you start this track and then move up to that couple above and turn down the sound on their video.

Last edited:
Next we have, which by some, is considered one of the earliest (if not even the earliest) RAGTIME recording. What had been very popular and continued to be as Two Step march music (Sousa style). However, RAGTIME was fast becoming all the rage.
MY RAGTIME BABY!

Forum List

Back