Could GOP plans spur the inflation the party pledges to end?

The irony is, Trump’s platform — including tax cuts, tariff increases and a crackdown on immigration — would, in the view of many economists and investors, stoke price pressures. As the Federal Reserve prepares to start monetary easing, the potential shift in an array of policies looms as a risk for sustained interest-rate cuts in 2025.

Given the vagueness of the Republican platform I am wondering if anyone has any idea of just what a Trump administration will actually do to combat inflation. Even within that vagueness we find three inflationary proposals. Tariffs, elimination of immigration and mass deportations, and tax cuts. What policy proposals will counter those inflationary drivers?

I am not interested in the whole oil and gas production thing, the drill baby drill bullshit. Under Biden oil production and gas production have exceeded even Trump's best year, prior to the Covid pandemic. That dog ain't going to hunt. Trump could ban the export of crude and natural gas, that would certainly influence prices downwards, but I have seen no proposal of that and considering the influence of the oil and gas industry, not seeing it happening.
Trump won't have trillions in QE help from the Fed this time around, and he won't have the Fed to keep interest rates artificially low again. Even with all that help, and even with all his profligate spending, his "greatest economy ever" (ha ha) was only at 2.3% growth when COVID hit.

He'll have to keep spending and cut taxes more for inflation to return. Which, of course, is possible. He thinks short term only, and he only cares about "his numbers".

Trump won't have trillions in QE help from the Fed this time around, and he won't have the Fed to keep interest rates artificially low again. Even with all that help, and even with all his profligate spending, his "greatest economy ever" (ha ha) was only at 2.3% growth when COVID hit.

He'll have to keep spending and cut taxes more for inflation to return. Which, of course, is possible. He thinks short term only, and he only cares about "his numbers".

Trump won't have trillions in QE help from the Fed this time around

Not like Obama and Biden did.

Forum List

Back