Court: Catholic school must hire 'gay' man

Public accommodations laws apply to private entities, businesses and employers; this has nothing to do with the First Amendment or religious liberty, this has to do with states enacting public accommodations laws pursuant to Commerce Clause jurisprudence, and their desire to prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation in the markets and the workplace.

This is a state court ruling on a matter concerning state law.

Telling how for many conservatives their bigotry and hatred of gay Americans overrides their wrongheaded advocacy of 'states' rights.'
If that state has those laws they need to over turn them. They are unconstitutional. No where should your sexual perversion be foisted onto others. It's immoral and wrong. Freedom of association is a right, accommodating sexual preferences should be/was a choice.

Sure they would. If you believe that, you're an idiot.
Cry your impotent tears you pathetic victim

The only pathetic one is the person who thinks being homosexual is OK. That's you freak.
You lost bitch. Sucks for you. Welcome to the 21st century.
You're a real grump today.
Says the gay and Muslim hating homo/xenophobe
I have no issue whatsoever with gays, each to their own, nor with regular Muslims, but with Islam and radical Muslims, I most certainly do. I also believe that religious organisations should not be forced to betray their beliefs ie by being forced to employ homosexuals. However, if that's how it's going to be, then we should ensure that applies across the board. Muslims are notorious in their hatred of homosexuals, among a great many other things, so I hope they will be subjected to the same pressures.

Cry your impotent tears you pathetic victim

The only pathetic one is the person who thinks being homosexual is OK. That's you freak.
You lost bitch. Sucks for you. Welcome to the 21st century.
You're a real grump today.
Says the gay and Muslim hating homo/xenophobe
I have no issue whatsoever with gays, each to their own, nor with regular Muslims, but with Islam and radical Muslims, I most certainly do. I also believe that religious organisations should not be forced to betray their beliefs ie by being forced to employ homosexuals. However, if that's how it's going to be, then we should ensure that applies across the board. Muslims are notorious in their hatred of homosexuals, among a great many other things, so I hope they will be subjected to the same pressures.
It does apply across the board, because we have laws against religious nonsense. That's why Kim Davis isn't shoving gay people off of roofs to uproarious applause.

Stupid lawsuit and a stupid ruling. I suspect we haven't heard the last of this case and I bet/hope it gets overturned.

Let's try to inject some level of intelligence into the issue, shall we? First let me say that I am a staunch supporter of gay rights including employment nondiscrimination. Secondly, I will add that I am an atheist and believe the all authoritarian, mono theist religions-based on manmade bovine excrement - that use fear, superstition and coercion to control their flock are bullshit and I have no use for them. In addition, I feel that the Catholic Church- that I was born into but fled from in my young adulthood- is among the most hypocritical, corrupt, and ridiculous of all religious institutions.

However, we have a strong tradition of religious freedom in this country and it fact it was founded on that principle. Additionally, gay rights has advance to where it now is, largely on the promise that religious beliefs would not be infringed upon. To be clear, I do not believe that the right to religious freedom as an excuse to discriminate extents to the individual in private enterprise or operators of venues that off public accommodations. To allow that, quite frankly, is dangerous and opens the door for allowing anyone to claim the right to discriminate against anyone else who they disapprove of by invoking “religious beliefs” whether real of fabricated.

However, Catholic schools are in fact part of a religious institution and from a legal stand point, may well be within their rights to refuse employment to a gay person. On the other hand, perhaps a case can be made on behalf of the employee if it can be shown that the school targeted him while turning a blind eye to others in that they employ who are in violation of other tenants of the Catholic faith such as being divorced, having had an abortion, or perhaps not attending church.

This should certainly be an interesting case to follow. Below in a related article that sheds some light on the subject:

The New York Times recently ran a front-page story about a Catholic school outside Seattle that fired an administrator who married another man. Just a week later, the front page of the Boston Globe featured a story about a Massachusetts Catholic school that canceled its job offer to a prospective food services director when it learned that he was in a same-sex marriage. Predictably, the tone of both accounts, and the great majority of those quoted, were sympathetic toward the victims of these decisions.

The issue of the right of Catholic schools, specifically, to employ only teachers who in their teaching and lives (to the extent these are visible to students) do not undermine Catholic principles has been litigated in many countries. The principle on which that right has been upheld is often called “the duty of loyalty”: the freedom of the individual teacher to dissent must be considered in the context of the rights of other teachers who have chosen to work in a particular kind of school, and of parents who want such a school for their children.

In American cases, the courts have generally held that teachers in faith-based schools are similar to clergy in other religious institutions, and that there is thus a “ministerial exception” to the application of antidiscrimination laws. This applies to the suburban Seattle school: the vice-principal who was fired was in a leadership position and had willingly signed a contract promising to abide by Church teachings in order to be an example for students. POV: Why Catholic Schools Have the Right to Fire Married Gay Staff | BU Today | Boston University

I wonder how many divorced and/or abortion supporting people who had pre-marital sex they employ.

Dozens of course. When are these idiots going to realize that discrimination against gays is going the way of discrimination against people of color, or women, etc., etc.,

and there's nothing they can do about it?

Stupid lawsuit and a stupid ruling. I suspect we haven't heard the last of this case and I bet/hope it gets overturned.

Let's try to inject some level of intelligence into the issue, shall we? First let me say that I am a staunch supporter of gay rights including employment nondiscrimination. Secondly, I will add that I am an atheist and believe the all authoritarian, mono theist religions-based on manmade bovine excrement - that use fear, superstition and coercion to control their flock are bullshit and I have no use for them. In addition, I feel that the Catholic Church- that I was born into but fled from in my young adulthood- is among the most hypocritical, corrupt, and ridiculous of all religious institutions.

However, we have a strong tradition of religious freedom in this country and it fact it was founded on that principle. Additionally, gay rights has advance to where it now is, largely on the promise that religious beliefs would not be infringed upon. To be clear, I do not believe that the right to religious freedom as an excuse to discriminate extents to the individual in private enterprise or operators of venues that off public accommodations. To allow that, quite frankly, is dangerous and opens the door for allowing anyone to claim the right to discriminate against anyone else who they disapprove of by invoking “religious beliefs” whether real of fabricated.

However, Catholic schools are in fact part of a religious institution and from a legal stand point, may well be within their rights to refuse employment to a gay person. On the other hand, perhaps a case can be made on behalf of the employee if it can be shown that the school targeted him while turning a blind eye to others in that they employ who are in violation of other tenants of the Catholic faith such as being divorced, having had an abortion, or perhaps not attending church.

This should certainly be an interesting case to follow. Below in a related article that sheds some light on the subject:

The New York Times recently ran a front-page story about a Catholic school outside Seattle that fired an administrator who married another man. Just a week later, the front page of the Boston Globe featured a story about a Massachusetts Catholic school that canceled its job offer to a prospective food services director when it learned that he was in a same-sex marriage. Predictably, the tone of both accounts, and the great majority of those quoted, were sympathetic toward the victims of these decisions.

The issue of the right of Catholic schools, specifically, to employ only teachers who in their teaching and lives (to the extent these are visible to students) do not undermine Catholic principles has been litigated in many countries. The principle on which that right has been upheld is often called “the duty of loyalty”: the freedom of the individual teacher to dissent must be considered in the context of the rights of other teachers who have chosen to work in a particular kind of school, and of parents who want such a school for their children.

In American cases, the courts have generally held that teachers in faith-based schools are similar to clergy in other religious institutions, and that there is thus a “ministerial exception” to the application of antidiscrimination laws. This applies to the suburban Seattle school: the vice-principal who was fired was in a leadership position and had willingly signed a contract promising to abide by Church teachings in order to be an example for students. POV: Why Catholic Schools Have the Right to Fire Married Gay Staff | BU Today | Boston University

Schools are schools, not churches.

I wonder how many divorced and/or abortion supporting people who had pre-marital sex they employ.

Dozens of course. When are these idiots going to realize that discrimination against gays is going the way of discrimination against people of color, or women, etc., etc.,

A few decades. Think of how many racists we still have 50 years after civil rights.

A few decades. Think of how many racists we still have 50 years after civil rights.

Oh, we see that here every day, which serves as an excellent reminder of the danger of ever letting conservatives get any real power.

Telling how for many conservatives their bigotry and hatred of gay Americans overrides their wrongheaded advocacy of 'states' rights.'

My bigotry and hatred for gay Americans!?
Gosh, I hope my husband doesn't find out and divorces me. :lmao:

What gay man would want to work there? It'd be horrid.

He probably doesn't want to work there...just saying
But another one might.

I'd be interested to know if he considers himself Catholic
Its not a matter of consideration. You either get born Catholic or you don't.

You do not know very much about Catholicism.

But keep opining on it anyway. This is entertaining.

I was born catholic.

But another one might.

I was born catholic.

No. You were born cold, naked, and screaming like a banshee. You would have been baptized Catholic.

But keep making shit up to impress us all...continue on...

But another one might.

I was born catholic.

You may have been born into a Catholic family but you were not Catholic until baptized and later Confirmed

Why does a potential hire have to reveal he smokes dick in the first place? Aren't his qualifications what matters before being selected, or do these fudge-packer simply play the "gay card" when they are incapable of competing because they are simply unqualified?
President Trump will put an end to all this gay rights bullshit. It's on his list of things to eradicate.

Schools are schools, not churches.

I hope that you're right. We shall see.

Question: If this Catholic school were to hire another for a position in the cafeteria or a janitor and they discovered he is living with another man’s wife and also has posted S&M pictures of himself on a social network, does this school have the right to refuse him employment?

Apparently not. Not if they initially offered him the position. Which makes no sense to me because we all know such discrimination takes place routinely for not offering someone a job.

================================================

Court: Catholic school must hire 'gay' man

A Boston state court issued a “first of its kind” ruling in an attempt to force a Catholic school to hire a homosexual man.

Superior Court Associate Justice Douglas Wilkins’ decision on Wednesday orders Fontbonne Academy, a Catholic girls school, to hire a “gay” man. The judge said Fontbonne discriminated against plaintiff Matthew Barrett when officials rescinded a food service director position in 2013. Barrett was denied the job after school administrators realized he was in a same-sex union.

“On the undisputed facts, Barrett has shown he is a protected class, that he was qualified (and even received an offer) for the position of Food Service Director, that he suffered denial of employment, that the reason for the denial was his sexual orientation and that he suffered harm as a result,” the judge wrote. “This proves sexual-orientation discrimination as a matter of law on the undisputed facts.”

Barrett’s lawyers from Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders cheered Wilkins’ ruling as the “first of its kind in the country,” Buzzfeed reported Thursday.

Wilkins said the school failed to show how hiring Barrett would constitute a “serious” burden to the institution before adding that certain freedoms of expression can be overridden when there are “compelling state interests.”

The conservative website National Review excoriated the judge for his ruling.“By that standard, expressive association becomes meaningless. After all, if a court can jam Christian employers with employees who don’t share their values – and then contend that the employers’ rights are protected if they’re still free to complain about it – then the floodgates are open,” the magazine wrote Friday.

National Review called the ruling “ominous” before quoting Reason magazine’s November issue: “Now that government discrimination is largely tamed, ‘gay’ activists are going after private behavior, using the government as a bludgeon.”

URL to article: Court: Catholic school must hire ‘gay’ man

I don't understand how that man being gay has anything to do with his ability to do his job.

I applaud the ruling and I hope it's upheld through our courts. We all know how the supreme court is going to rule. They have not ruled against homosexual people yet. I don't see it happening in this case either.

If that catholic school takes my tax dollars in the form of vouchers for their school or any federal money from the bush boy's faith based initiatives, then that catholic school should have to follow the same laws as everyone else.

Christian institutions should come into the 21st century and stop discriminating against people.

Our twin's school isn't Christian and they won't hire gays. It's not always religion

They won't be getting away with that for long

Private school. Their roof, their rules. Whether you find that policy agreeable or not is irrelevant.
Wrong.

Public accommodations laws apply to private entities, businesses and employers; this has nothing to do with the First Amendment or religious liberty, this has to do with states enacting public accommodations laws pursuant to Commerce Clause jurisprudence, and their desire to prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation in the markets and the workplace.

Wrong, the school is totally private, they make the rules, not a dime of taxpayer money comes in. Their roof, their rules

I don't understand how that man being gay has anything to do with his ability to do his job.

I applaud the ruling and I hope it's upheld through our courts. We all know how the supreme court is going to rule. They have not ruled against homosexual people yet. I don't see it happening in this case either.

If that catholic school takes my tax dollars in the form of vouchers for their school or any federal money from the bush boy's faith based initiatives, then that catholic school should have to follow the same laws as everyone else.

Christian institutions should come into the 21st century and stop discriminating against people.

Our twin's school isn't Christian and they won't hire gays. It's not always religion

Private school. Their roof, their rules. Whether you find that policy agreeable or not is irrelevant.
Wrong.

Wrong, the school is totally private, they make the rules, not a dime of taxpayer money comes in. Their roof, their rules

That is comically untrue.

Wrong.

The joke's on us.

Why does a potential hire have to reveal he smokes dick in the first place? Aren't his qualifications what matters before being selected, or do these fudge-packer simply play the "gay card" when they are incapable of competing because they are simply unqualified?
President Trump will put an end to all this gay rights bullshit. It's on his list of things to eradicate.
You're a lovely fellow. Is that your boy friend that you have your arm around?

Wrong.

No it's not, unless a school is funded by taxes they are exempt. You leftist loons can't touch them

Forum List

Back