Covid Shots

The better we become at treating it, the better off we will be. I doubt it just goes away any time soon, but who knows. A lot of those places that were held up as great to make the US (and Trump) look bad last year are still getting pounded this year. Japan is getting hammered right now. Anyway, masks for the vaccinated are no longer mandatory here in VA as of this coming Friday, but I see a lot of people already removing them
In Maryland where I live masks are supposedly not mandated anymore, but a lot of stores won't let you in without them. Stores are the authoritarian enforcers now --- I really resent this. Talk about bad customer service, this is fearing and hating their customers!

I buy pretty much everything online now, and rarely leave the farm.

I think you are really saying that you doubt it will stop on its own (but many, even most, epidemics did stop on their own, sometimes forever, such as the lethal English Sweat, started in 1485 with the Battle of Bosworth Field that put Henry Tudor, Henry VII, on the throne. It was the mercenary soldiers in Henry's army transmitting it, of course. They came from all over.). The fact that it's ricocheting around the world is NOT a good sign, I agree --- I am also worried about that. Japan, India, etc. And that it may surge just because the masks are coming off ---- sure, could happen.

I have hopes for August, because August is often the end of pandemics (Why? Who knows?). But I agree with you ----- anything could happen, including another surge. Including mutations with an independent epidemic. I hope not.

I don't know how many really stopped on their own given landscapes in europe are scattered with plague stones, whole towns/villages were quarantined, etc.

Anyway, whatever happens will happen. I tried to bunker down last year but eventually relented. I don't do a lot of online ordering because I am not sure that it is that economical or environmental.

It's all about control and social manipulation. It a matter of conditioning Americans to obey liberal politicians without regard to common sense or the Constitution.
Bullshit! It's about public health. It's about saving lives. The fact that this has beconme so politicized is a fucking tragedy, people have died needlessly and Trump is largly to blame. You have some fucking nerve talking about common sense. And what the fuck does the vaccine have to do with the constitution?
You’re right it has become politicized and that is a tragedy, however some of stiffest resistance to vaccination is found among minorities, which has little or nothing to do with politics, they in large part DON’T TRUST THE SYSTEM, I wonder why that is?
Yes minority resistance is among minorities who do in fact have good reason to not trust the system. But that too goes back to politics. But it is Republicans who are at least as resistant to getting vaxed, and that is largly a result of the misinformation and outright lies that they have been fed and are stupid enought to believe. It's ironic that the same people who are bitching about reopening the ecconomy are the same ones who refuse to take common sense measures to stop the spread.

Just a quick question with no driving agenda.

Is anyone else wondering why there is a full court press to promote this shot?

With all the continues advertising, is it doing any good? If you haven't gotten the shot by now, trying to shame you into it will do no good. Also, do they really think that they are providing new information concerning these shots to anyone who has not already heard the information being presented?

Just stopp and let peole do what they feel is best for themselves.
They are promoting it because it works to control the virus and that is their goal. There is no conspiracy or ulterior motive. They are promoting it for public health and for no other reason.
Why are they promoting it to those who have natural immunity because they had it before and have the antibodies?
That’s a GREAT question and one that I’ve wondered about myself, we’ve recently allowed fully vaccinated individuals to stop wearing masks while at work (if they choose) but still require those that have had COVID (no matter how recently) to continue wearing them, which doesn’t make sense to me (other than perhaps the CDC guidelines don’t specifically address those people).

It seems like they feel that immunity through infection may be less complete and reliable than immunity through vaccination. Can't really be sure, since - for a variety of "don't upset the narrative" reasons - they don't want to come right out and explain.

They also fail to mention that a vaccine consists of injecting a form of the disease into your body. This is supposed to create some immunity. If you already have some immunity, why?
That’s how most (all?) vaccines work, a weakened version of the pathogen designed to illicit an immune response and memory cells responsible for the production of T-Cells against the disease.

From what I understand the technology used in the some of the COVID vaccines is a new method involving messenger RNA to achieve the same results.

I haven’t seen anything to be alarmed about regarding these vaccines and the results so far indicate they’re all safe (including the J&J shot since the blood clot issue was with a very small number of patients and has been cleared as a statistical anomaly).

Maybe you have some information that I’m not aware of that causes you to be concerned?
Read the recently published rate of re-infection. It is continually growing.
Where are you seeing that information and are the rates of re-infection for fully vaccinated individuals statistically significant (I.e. are they above the rates predicted in the initial studies for each vaccine?). None of these vaccines claim 100% immunity (no vaccine that I know of is), so re-infection in some portion of the vaccinated is expected.

However since the vaccination distribution and administration “program” has begun we’ve seen a DRAMATIC reduction in both new cases and positivity rates, I realize correlation doesn’t imply causation but the numbers are too large to be explained simply by chance (or weather).

The better we become at treating it, the better off we will be. I doubt it just goes away any time soon, but who knows. A lot of those places that were held up as great to make the US (and Trump) look bad last year are still getting pounded this year. Japan is getting hammered right now. Anyway, masks for the vaccinated are no longer mandatory here in VA as of this coming Friday, but I see a lot of people already removing them
In Maryland where I live masks are supposedly not mandated anymore, but a lot of stores won't let you in without them. Stores are the authoritarian enforcers now --- I really resent this. Talk about bad customer service, this is fearing and hating their customers!

I think you are really saying that you doubt it will stop on its own (but many, even most, epidemics did stop on their own, sometimes forever, such as the lethal English Sweat, started in 1485 with the Battle of Bosworth Field that put Henry Tudor, Henry VII, on the throne. It was the mercenary soldiers in Henry's army transmitting it, of course. They came from all over.). The fact that it's ricocheting around the world is NOT a good sign, I agree --- I am also worried about that. Japan, India, etc. And that it may surge just because the masks are coming off ---- sure, could happen.

I have hopes for August, because August is often the end of pandemics (Why? Who knows?). But I agree with you ----- anything could happen, including another surge. Including mutations with an independent epidemic. I hope not.

If a store makes you wear a mask you should loudly leave.

There is no reason someone who was vaccinated should wear a mask other than politics, and businesses you patronize don't need to be in your politics.

I have a lot of family in Maryland. They say there's a lot of social pressure to wear masks, but no one is forcing them now. I realize it's not the same everywhere in Maryland
:lol: The federal military commissary was one of the 1st grocery stores I went to last year requiring masks. They still require them.
So? Are they truly needed or just doing what the government tells them to do?

If it is a military commissary, what is needed is whatever the government tells you is needed to walk in the door :salute:

It's all about control and social manipulation. It a matter of conditioning Americans to obey liberal politicians without regard to common sense or the Constitution.
Bullshit! It's about public health. It's about saving lives. The fact that this has beconme so politicized is a fucking tragedy, people have died needlessly and Trump is largly to blame. You have some fucking nerve talking about common sense. And what the fuck does the vaccine have to do with the constitution?
You’re right it has become politicized and that is a tragedy, however some of stiffest resistance to vaccination is found among minorities, which has little or nothing to do with politics, they in large part DON’T TRUST THE SYSTEM, I wonder why that is?
Yes minority resistance is among minorities who do in fact have good reason to not trust the system. But that too goes back to politics. But it is Republicans who are at least as resistant to getting vaxed, and that is largly a result of the misinformation and outright lies that they have been fed and are stupid enought to believe. It's ironic that the same people who are bitching about reopening the ecconomy are the same ones who refuse to take common sense measures to stop the spread.

You’re argument that resistance is partisan is suspect and I would say that resistance in the minority community is a largely a result of them being told that in no uncertain terms and without qualification that the system is out to screw them over and that isn’t not something that can be blamed on Republicans.

Bottom line is, we need MORE volume on unbiased SCIENCE and to put all the partisanship and recriminations on MUTE, at least until this thing is behind us.

With all the continues advertising, is it doing any good? If you haven't gotten the shot by now, trying to shame you into it will do no good. Also, do they really think that they are providing new information concerning these shots to anyone who has not already heard the information being presented?

They are promoting it because it works to control the virus and that is their goal. There is no conspiracy or ulterior motive. They are promoting it for public health and for no other reason.
Why are they promoting it to those who have natural immunity because they had it before and have the antibodies?
That’s a GREAT question and one that I’ve wondered about myself, we’ve recently allowed fully vaccinated individuals to stop wearing masks while at work (if they choose) but still require those that have had COVID (no matter how recently) to continue wearing them, which doesn’t make sense to me (other than perhaps the CDC guidelines don’t specifically address those people).

It seems like they feel that immunity through infection may be less complete and reliable than immunity through vaccination. Can't really be sure, since - for a variety of "don't upset the narrative" reasons - they don't want to come right out and explain.
Good point, it does seem that science is still a bit murky on the level and duration of immunity conferred by actually having had the disease. I think Circe also hit the nail on the head with respect to why it's not be treated like "fully vaccinated", we have no way of demonstrating who has had it and when they had it, seems like they should have given people who tested positive documentation of their results.

Hopefully the CDC will get this figured out and clarified soon since I believe it will help significantly toward getting things back to some sense of normalcy.

The CDC has been about as useful as teats on a boar during this entire farrago, so I'm not pinning my hopes of normalcy on that bunch of chuckleheads.

There is press to jab because the government has a use them or lose them position so unless a state uses theirs up, they will get less. Plus with the demasking and full re-openings going on there is fear there will be another surge.

Anyway, I don't care if people get the shot or not. My barber has an honor system where people with both shots don't have to wear a mask, but people without them do. She doesn't wear one as she had both shots.

So you are saying that it is driven by money and control of the people.

Isn't everything these days?

Not what they are claiming, however.

Well, no, you can't come out and TELL people you're just interested in money and control over people's lives.
Telling the truth? The government will never do that.

To be fair, the government MIGHT tell the truth about something, but only if the truth is the most effective path to money and power. So kind of an accidental truth, as a side effect.

The propagandists on TV tell us to do the opposite.

Good point, it does seem that science is still a bit murky on the level and duration of immunity conferred by actually having had the disease. I think Circe also hit the nail on the head with respect to why it's not be treated like "fully vaccinated", we have no way of demonstrating who has had it and when they had it, seems like they should have given people who tested positive documentation of their results.

Hopefully the CDC will get this figured out and clarified soon since I believe it will help significantly toward getting things back to some sense of normalcy.

The CDC has been about as useful as teats on a boar during this entire farrago, so I'm not pinning my hopes of normalcy on that bunch of chuckleheads.
IMHO it’s not the CDC that’s been at fault, it’s a certain DR. BUREAUCRAT that has been all over the map, contradicting himself, making questionable pronouncements and generally confusing the hell out of everybody while trying his hardest to keep himself in the spotlight.

From what I can see the CDC as an organization has done a fairly good job given the circumstances.

Another selfish prig.
Hospital workers, nurses, doctors hate people like you.
They have been stretched beyond their limits of exhaustion and lost their own lives because of attitudes like yours.
ANd yes, you fucking idiot, the vaccine is working unless you've had your head up your ass the last 5 months.
Cases are way down from last winter after the vaccine was released.
Only 471 deaths today compared to the 3-4000 daily deaths last winter.

I don't know how many really stopped on their own given landscapes in europe are scattered with plague stones, whole towns/villages were quarantined, etc.

Anyway, whatever happens will happen. I tried to bunker down last year but eventually relented. I don't do a lot of online ordering because I am not sure that it is that economical or environmental.

The Sweating Sickness did disappear on its own. No one's sure why, because even today, no one's entirely sure what the Sweating Sickness was, since it had stopped happening by the time medical science advanced enough to be able to identify it.

Another selfish prig.
They have been stretched beyond their limits of exhaustion and lost their own lives because of attitudes like yours.
ANd yes, you fucking idiot, the vaccine is working unless you've had your head up your ass the last 5 months.

Invective isn’t a valid substitute for an actual argument, come back when you have something to say that’s worth reading, preferably after you’ve gotten a grip on your current temper tantrum.

They also fail to mention that a vaccine consists of injecting a form of the disease into your body. This is supposed to create some immunity. If you already have some immunity, why?
That’s how most (all?) vaccines work, a weakened version of the pathogen designed to illicit an immune response and memory cells responsible for the production of T-Cells against the disease.

From what I understand the technology used in the some of the COVID vaccines is a new method involving messenger RNA to achieve the same results.

I haven’t seen anything to be alarmed about regarding these vaccines and the results so far indicate they’re all safe (including the J&J shot since the blood clot issue was with a very small number of patients and has been cleared as a statistical anomaly).

Maybe you have some information that I’m not aware of that causes you to be concerned?
Where are you seeing that information and are the rates of re-infection for fully vaccinated individuals statistically significant (I.e. are they above the rates predicted in the initial studies for each vaccine?). None of these vaccines claim 100% immunity (no vaccine that I know of is), so re-infection in some portion of the vaccinated is expected.

However since the vaccination distribution and administration “program” has begun we’ve seen a DRAMATIC reduction in both new cases and positivity rates, I realize correlation doesn’t imply causation but the numbers are too large to be explained simply by chance (or weather).

There is not enough empirical data yet to draw any conclusions, positive or negative.

Having dealt with the government for years, I am skeptical.

If a store makes you wear a mask you should loudly leave.

There is no reason someone who was vaccinated should wear a mask other than politics, and businesses you patronize don't need to be in your politics.

I have a lot of family in Maryland. They say there's a lot of social pressure to wear masks, but no one is forcing them now. I realize it's not the same everywhere in Maryland
:lol: The federal military commissary was one of the 1st grocery stores I went to last year requiring masks. They still require them.
So? Are they truly needed or just doing what the government tells them to do?

If it is a military commissary, what is needed is whatever the government tells you is needed to walk in the door :salute:

So the answer is, do as big brother tells you and don't ask questions. Not the way of free Americans.

There is press to jab because the government has a use them or lose them position so unless a state uses theirs up, they will get less. Plus with the demasking and full re-openings going on there is fear there will be another surge.

Anyway, I don't care if people get the shot or not. My barber has an honor system where people with both shots don't have to wear a mask, but people without them do. She doesn't wear one as she had both shots.

Well, no, you can't come out and TELL people you're just interested in money and control over people's lives.

To be fair, the government MIGHT tell the truth about something, but only if the truth is the most effective path to money and power. So kind of an accidental truth, as a side effect.
Key words, "accidental truth".

Another selfish prig.

There you go, using profanity to try to bolster your babbling and denial of what ever you don't want to hear.

Really classy.

Key words, "accidental truth".

Well, yeah, truth would never be the primary intention with the government. It's just . . . ancillary.

There is not enough empirical data yet to draw any conclusions, positive or negative.

Having dealt with the government for years, I am skeptical.
We'll have to keep an eye on that data then.

As far as being skeptical, I can understand that since I trust government about as far as I could throw the Capital Building (especially the Federal Government), IMHO this situation is unprecedented so as much as I hate to say it, I think the State and Federal Governments have done a decent job on the vaccine front (along with the Pharma Industry, who I also don't trust very much).

My suggestion would be to find all the non-bias sources of science on the vaccines, talk to everybody you know that's been vaccinated and then make your own informed decision about whether to get it or not. I can only say that I'm fully vaccinated (Moderna) and have suffered no ill effects other than feeling a bit crappy for about half a day after the second shot and I can say the same for everyone I've talked that has been vaccinated. The science seems sound to me but I think everyone owes it to themselves to do their own unbiased research and then decide if it's for them or not.

Best of luck!

Forum List

Back