DANG! Navy Can't Drive Ships: Here we go again,#5. Time to hire professional drivers. FFS!?

and not only Westwalls link to purged Experienced Military but look at the types that 'mrobama' had as advisers and confidants . Look at the 'iranian' valery jarret , hilary clinton , al sharpton , bill clinton , marie harf and the red headed chick and others that were all part of 'mrobamas' wrecking crew . And none of them needed to be ordered to wreck America as they all knew what 'mrobama' wanted as they were all mrobama types and they all wanted the USA wrecked . A big part and maybe the most important part of America is the Navy and Military and mrobama wanted that also wrecked WBorn .

Valeria Jarrett is about as American as I am. Her parents were African-Americans who ran a children's hospital in Iran in the 1950s.

Please stop spreading misinformation. It's unnecessary and very unbecoming.
------------------------------- well then , you are about as American as 'mrobama' and 'valery jarret' , Admiral !!

Why didn't you just say, "Sorry! I was wrong about her being Iranian" and just leave it at that?

benfold_collision_navy.jpg

A U.S. warship sustained minor damage Saturday when it collided with a Japanese tug boat, the Navy's 7th Fleet announced.

The USS Benfold was conducting a scheduled exercise in Japan's Sagami Bay at the time of the collision.

The Japanese tug boat lost propulsion and drifted into the USS Benfold during a towing exercise.

The guided-missile destroyer, which remains at sea, will undergo a damage assessment and an investigation into the crash, according to ABC News.

The Benfold was operating under its own power, while the Japanese vessel was being towed to a port in Yokosuka, the statement said.

The Navy said the incident will be investigated.

The Benfold was conducting the routine training as part of a seamanship certification, said 7th Fleet spokesman Cmdr. Clay Doss.

:dunno: Hmmn? Interesting it remains at SEA! Where the Junk Tug was to close to a ship at sea. Ships crew is to blame, mostly. It a rule of thump went towing the smaller boat in downwind. So it floats away. The crew should have known this was the wrong location to be. Engines for Navy ships are never down during training Exercise, for the most part. as they may need to move ASAP! For other reasons.

btw: If the tug was coming to say my ship during these exercises if I was armed.
I would have sunk it before it hit. Without warning!

btw: These LOSERS in the NAVY can't drive. Even with a captain on deck FFS!

btw2: If the tug was being towed, as the trainer towee. Again the crew is at fault.

I never said the engines were not down. I specifically said the screws were not turning. That is not some bass boat you just shove a lever forward and the boat jumps. The bridge rings the command down and the engine room does it. It does not happen instantly.

And you are saying you would have fired on a manned, friendly vessel to avoid a minor dent and some paint loss? WTF? You don't ever need to talk about Gun Nutters again, if you are willing to murder the entire crew of that tug boat to avoid a minor collision.

The Navy can't drive? The Navy wasn't driving. It was participating in a towing exercise. That is why I know the screws were not turning. You never have the screws turning when a smaller craft is alongside. They get sucked into the screws and destroyed (also damaging ship)

"...if I was armed. I would have sunk it before it hit. Without warning!"?? That is the sickest thing I've ever heard.

I think you need to read it again. You have a few facts wrong.

The USS Benfold was operating under its own power before or after the incident? I thought it was meaning the Benfold was operating under its own power after the incident, and would assess damage, while the tugboat was being towed back in.

The article specifically says the accident happened when tugboat lost propulsion. So it was under power just before that. A tug being used to position or tow a destroyer would mean the destroyer was not under her own power at the time.

The link in the OP said "The Japanese tug boat lost propulsion and drifted into the USS Benfold during a towing exercise."

Now, I think you have it, and perhaps I was confused. My apologies. However, I don't think you understand the propulsion systems on marine gas turbine ships.

The propellers on a gas turbine ship are always turning, but to use an aviation term, the blades are "feathered" so they are producing no thrust. When the ship wants to go forward or backwards, the pitch on the propellor is increased to provide forward or reverse thrust. This makes these ships incredibly maneuverable as the response to the controls is very quick. The thrust can be controlled from the bridge or in engineering. I believe confusion over who was controlling the engines contributed to one of the other collisions on the McCain or Fitzgerald.

These ships can go from all ahead flank to all back full in the very short time it takes for the blades on the propellor to adjust. Their stopping distance is much shorter by comparison. The engines do not have to stop and then reverse like they do on a steam powered ship without that ability.

I admit my experience with gas turbines is very limited. The only propulsion system I learned thoroughly was on an FBM submarine. A bit different.

But would the captain of the Navy ship have been able to crank up the power and move out of the way? I would imagine the tug was very close to the ship when it lost propulsion.

The main point I have tried to make is to counter Baz' point that the Navy can't drive. Now that may have been the case in other incidents, but the Capt of the USS Benfold was not driving. Not if they were in a towing exercise.

also think that she is a 'muslim' , iranian muslim and while she was 'mrobamas' friend she is not my or Americas friend Admiral .

benfold_collision_navy.jpg

A U.S. warship sustained minor damage Saturday when it collided with a Japanese tug boat, the Navy's 7th Fleet announced.

The USS Benfold was conducting a scheduled exercise in Japan's Sagami Bay at the time of the collision.

The Japanese tug boat lost propulsion and drifted into the USS Benfold during a towing exercise.

The guided-missile destroyer, which remains at sea, will undergo a damage assessment and an investigation into the crash, according to ABC News.

The Benfold was operating under its own power, while the Japanese vessel was being towed to a port in Yokosuka, the statement said.

The Navy said the incident will be investigated.

The Benfold was conducting the routine training as part of a seamanship certification, said 7th Fleet spokesman Cmdr. Clay Doss.

:dunno: Hmmn? Interesting it remains at SEA! Where the Junk Tug was to close to a ship at sea. Ships crew is to blame, mostly. It a rule of thump went towing the smaller boat in downwind. So it floats away. The crew should have known this was the wrong location to be. Engines for Navy ships are never down during training Exercise, for the most part. as they may need to move ASAP! For other reasons.

btw: If the tug was coming to say my ship during these exercises if I was armed.
I would have sunk it before it hit. Without warning!

btw: These LOSERS in the NAVY can't drive. Even with a captain on deck FFS!

btw2: If the tug was being towed, as the trainer towee. Again the crew is at fault.

I never said the engines were not down. I specifically said the screws were not turning. That is not some bass boat you just shove a lever forward and the boat jumps. The bridge rings the command down and the engine room does it. It does not happen instantly.

And you are saying you would have fired on a manned, friendly vessel to avoid a minor dent and some paint loss? WTF? You don't ever need to talk about Gun Nutters again, if you are willing to murder the entire crew of that tug boat to avoid a minor collision.

The Navy can't drive? The Navy wasn't driving. It was participating in a towing exercise. That is why I know the screws were not turning. You never have the screws turning when a smaller craft is alongside. They get sucked into the screws and destroyed (also damaging ship)

"...if I was armed. I would have sunk it before it hit. Without warning!"?? That is the sickest thing I've ever heard.

I think you need to read it again. You have a few facts wrong.

The USS Benfold was operating under its own power before or after the incident? I thought it was meaning the Benfold was operating under its own power after the incident, and would assess damage, while the tugboat was being towed back in.

The article specifically says the accident happened when tugboat lost propulsion. So it was under power just before that. A tug being used to position or tow a destroyer would mean the destroyer was not under her own power at the time.

The link in the OP said "The Japanese tug boat lost propulsion and drifted into the USS Benfold during a towing exercise."

Now, I think you have it, and perhaps I was confused. My apologies. However, I don't think you understand the propulsion systems on marine gas turbine ships.

The propellers on a gas turbine ship are always turning, but to use an aviation term, the blades are "feathered" so they are producing no thrust. When the ship wants to go forward or backwards, the pitch on the propellor is increased to provide forward or reverse thrust. This makes these ships incredibly maneuverable as the response to the controls is very quick. The thrust can be controlled from the bridge or in engineering. I believe confusion over who was controlling the engines contributed to one of the other collisions on the McCain or Fitzgerald.

These ships can go from all ahead flank to all back full in the very short time it takes for the blades on the propellor to adjust. Their stopping distance is much shorter by comparison. The engines do not have to stop and then reverse like they do on a steam powered ship without that ability.

I admit my experience with gas turbines is very limited. The only propulsion system I learned thoroughly was on an FBM submarine. A bit different.

But would the captain of the Navy ship have been able to crank up the power and move out of the way? I would imagine the tug was very close to the ship when it lost propulsion.

The main point I have tried to make is to counter Baz' point that the Navy can't drive. Now that may have been the case in other incidents, but the Capt of the USS Benfold was not driving. Not if they were in a towing exercise.

I would have to assume that the tug was attached via a tow line. Putting the ship under power with a tow line attached to the tug would have been much more dangerous. It would better to repaint or fix a dent or two than risk damage to the tug and hazard to the crews on both vessels.

well , yeah , your opinion but i suppose that you also see 'mrobama as being AMERICAN Admiral .

well , yeah , your opinion but i suppose that you also see 'mrobama as being AMERICAN Admiral .

He is anti-American in his actions, but he is a United States citizen. I also think he committed fraud by claiming to be a foreign student, but I have no proof.

What I don't understand is, don't all modern ships have a GPS system that tells them when another ship is close so they don't run into each other? So why does this continue to happen?

also think that she is a 'muslim' , iranian muslim and while she was 'mrobamas' friend she is not my or Americas friend Admiral .

She was 5 flippin' years old when she left Iran!

I don't like the woman either, but why lie about her?
----------------------------------- because i don't think its lying Admiral , she was born in 'iran' , she is 'iranian' .Admiral .

What I don't understand is, don't all modern ships have a GPS system that tells them when another ship is close so they don't run into each other? So why does this continue to happen?
----------------------------------------------------- bad crews made up of millenials and hip hoppers and mrobama types LEW !!

----------------------------------------------------- bad crews made up of millenials and hip hoppers and mrobama types LEW !!

That has nothing to do with the electronic warning systems on the ships.

She was 5 flippin' years old when she left Iran!

I don't like the woman either, but why lie about her?
----------------------------------- because i don't think its lying Admiral , she was born in 'iran' , she is 'iranian' .Admiral .

As I said, I was born in a Catholic hospital. Does that mean I a Catholic? Should I attend mass tomorrow instead of my church?

Please stop being a dumb ass!

He is anti-American in his actions, but he is a United States citizen. I also think he committed fraud by claiming to be a foreign student, but I have no proof.
------------------------------------------------------ USA CITIZEN , big deal , i think that the participants in the American Diversity lottery can become citizens and then go out and run down REAL Americans on a bicycle path in New York City Admiral . . .

Forum List

Back