Deal or no deal? Repeal or no repeal?

What do you want to happen re Healthcare Reform? Repeal or no repeal?

• No repeal. Leave it alone.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Yes, get the signatures and repeal now.

Votes: 21 67.7%
  • Repeal, but wait until after the next election.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Other. I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
Unfortunately, I do not have time to read this thread at the moment (marking it now so I can come back to it), but I must say that I think that even if they got the votes to bring a repeal up for a vote, Mizz Nancy would have twisted if not broken more than enough arms before the vote to have it fail.

She did it once, she can do it again.

Immie

It's not more important that any other group and I'm not saying they're not Americans. In fact, I'm saying the flaws you see in that subset of these surveys is highly representative of the great flaw. I was just using it to illustrate why the polling we're talking about has to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

As for your questions about the Founders, you're making my argument for me. You have a set of beliefs, and you assume the Framers share them. That's a necessity of conservative thinking though. Everything has to define as inside the camp, or otherwise you're the alien other.

Inalienable rights are rights which are not dependent on society. They're not based on laws and customs. They're based on our shared bond: humanity. The debate isn't over the existence of these rights. The United States, along with all other developed nations, agree on a common framework of fundamental rights. Speech, religion, free assembly, fair trials (just to name a few). The debate is over the nature of these things. What are the lines? That's a question we have to answer. No freedom is without limit (you can't shout fire in a crowded theater, you can't fully practice a religion which requires human sacrifice). The debate is over what these limits are. Saying "Well, the limits are whatever the Founders would have made them" is dishonest. We simply don't know the answer, and even if we did, that wouldn't make it the right one.

In a nutshell, the Founders defined unalienable rights as those that are God given and that government shall hold inviolate. Unalienable rights are whatever a person thinks, dreams, wishes, wants, hopes for, or acts out that requires no contribution, voluntary or involuntary, from any other person other than his/her non interference.

Conservatives have no problem at all seeing that a government that requires people to purchase or acquire health insurance that they do not want under threat of penalty from that same government, violates every principle of unalienable rights.

It's not more important that any other group and I'm not saying they're not Americans. In fact, I'm saying the flaws you see in that subset of these surveys is highly representative of the great flaw. I was just using it to illustrate why the polling we're talking about has to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

As for your questions about the Founders, you're making my argument for me. You have a set of beliefs, and you assume the Framers share them. That's a necessity of conservative thinking though. Everything has to define as inside the camp, or otherwise you're the alien other.

Inalienable rights are rights which are not dependent on society. They're not based on laws and customs. They're based on our shared bond: humanity. The debate isn't over the existence of these rights. The United States, along with all other developed nations, agree on a common framework of fundamental rights. Speech, religion, free assembly, fair trials (just to name a few). The debate is over the nature of these things. What are the lines? That's a question we have to answer. No freedom is without limit (you can't shout fire in a crowded theater, you can't fully practice a religion which requires human sacrifice). The debate is over what these limits are. Saying "Well, the limits are whatever the Founders would have made them" is dishonest. We simply don't know the answer, and even if we did, that wouldn't make it the right one.

In a nutshell, the Founders defined unalienable rights as those that are God given and that government shall hold inviolate. Unalienable rights are whatever a person thinks, dreams, wishes, wants, hopes for, or acts out that requires no contribution, voluntary or involuntary, from any other person other than his/her non interference.

Conservatives have no problem at all seeing that a government that requires people to purchase or acquire health insurance that they do not want under threat of penalty from that same government, violates every principle of unalienable rights.

Then why were conservatives promoting an individual mandate in a very prominent as recently as 2003?

Then why were conservatives promoting an individual mandate in a very prominent as recently as 2003?

A very prominent what?

A very prominent what?

Way. A very prominent way. I went back to change the sentence and didn't finish the thought.

Way. A very prominent way. I went back to change the sentence and didn't finish the thought.

But what mandate are we talking about?

The individual mandate. The quick term for "requires people to purchase or acquire health insurance".

I am unaware of any conservatives who proposed such a thing. But then anybody who would propose such a thing would not be conservative. One of the reasons the GOP lost power so severely in 2006 is because our Congressional representatives and our President abandoned so many conservative principles and the Conservative base wouldn't stand for it.

So we now have the Democrats in power who are much worse.

Sigh. Sometimes life just isn't fair.

The Bill is now law.

Does the GOP have the balls to tell 40 million Americans that they want to take away their healthcare? Do they want to throw people back into the uninsured?

Go for it GOP...Run in 2010 telling people you want to take away their healthcare

i love the way this number is allways different....it has ranged from 20 million to as high as 48 million....are Illegals without Ins. a part of this number?....just askin....

The Bill is now law.

Does the GOP have the balls to tell 40 million Americans that they want to take away their healthcare? Do they want to throw people back into the uninsured?

Go for it GOP...Run in 2010 telling people you want to take away their healthcare

i love the way this number is allways different....it has ranged from 20 million to as high as 48 million....are Illegals without Ins. a part of this number?....just askin....

Indeed. And in fact many of the real number, whatever it is, were the voluntarily uninsured who just didn't want to pay for health insurance even though they could, and those between jobs or otherwise temporarily uninsured.

And I don't believe the mandatory provisions of insuring the uninsured kick in yet because they wanted to be sure they were past the next elections before subjecting the people to that kind of economic pain and chaos. So we have the taxes now. But not many insured who weren't insured before.

I am unaware of any conservatives who proposed such a thing. But then anybody who would propose such a thing would not be conservative.

See post #38. Notable Republicans who have supported an individual mandate: Bob Bennett, Kit Bond, Pete Domenici, Lauch Faircloth, Chuck Grassley, Orrin Hatch, Dick Lugar, Alan Simpson, Ted Stevens, John Warner, Bill Frist, Lamar Alexander, Judd Gregg. There are more, I just don't care to go on. Not a conservative among them? The Heritage Foundation has also been on board for some time.

I think trying to project how people would have felt about things 300 years removed from their own time is a fools errand.

Congratulations. You've just dismissed the entire Constitution.

No, because the Constitution is a written document. You don't need astral projection to the 1700s to read it, because the words are still written down.
Then why aren't you paying attention to them?

Oh, yeah...because they don't say what you want them to say.

The majority acting within in the framework of a Constitutional Republic, the laws of which in this matter do not infringe on your inalienable rights. In other words, daveman, you are not an island alone.
Ahhh, but that does infringe on my rights. I have to purchase something I may not want to...or face a penalty from the government. I would call that "unreasonable search and seizure".

As for the majority, obviously you haven't seen the polls lately. More Americans want this POS law repealed than want to keep it. Are you ready to accede to their wishes?

Come on Dave....get to the point wher you presently have insurance anyway

Like most Americans who whine about "having" to buy insurance
I'll be sure to tell everyone I meet that some anonymous internet leftist knows more about what they need than they do.

It must be a terrible burden you bear.

No... I didn't vote in it because I did not think it was a legitimate poll.

The Healthcare Bill is here. It won't be repealed now and it will not be repealed while a Democrat is President. So you are looking at at least six years before you can hope to repeal.

Fact is we need healthcare reform. The bill that was passed did not do nearly enough to fix our healthcare problems.......but it was a start

Still remaining:
A legitimate public option to gain insurance
Significant reductions in costs
Increased competition
Reduction in overhead (management, billing, advertising, lobbying)

yes....we need reform Rw,badly....but all this week while reading the morning paper i have seen 3-4 articles by 3-4 different entities including a federal Govt one who are ALL saying this bill is going to make EVERYONE pay more AND it wont reduce the costs of nothing....so what the hell?....am i supposed to feel good about this thing after seeing this?....

The Healthcare Bill is here. It won't be repealed now and it will not be repealed while a Democrat is President. So you are looking at at least six years before you can hope to repeal.

Fact is we need healthcare reform. The bill that was passed did not do nearly enough to fix our healthcare problems.......but it was a start

Still remaining:
Increased competition

yes....we need reform Rw,badly....but all this week while reading the morning paper i have seen 3-4 articles by 3-4 different entities including a federal Govt one who are ALL saying this bill is going to make EVERYONE pay more AND it wont reduce the costs of nothing....so what the hell?....am i supposed to feel good about this thing after seeing this?....
Obama said everything was going to be fine, so you STFU.

Did I get that right, USMB leftists?

The Bill is now law.

Who cares?

Run for election on taking away their insurance Republicans

Still remaining:
Increased competition

As I said, the bill did not go far enough. It was a compromise to get something passed. The bill was attacked by the insurance lobby from its inception and the Dems wimped out.

Doesn't mean we still cannot fix it

But guess what Republicans...I read it and there is no Government takeover and no Death Panels

Forum List

Back