Death of a salesman

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
The 1985 movie starring Dustin Hoffman was based on a 1949 Broadway play that the liberal elite raved about at the time. They still call it a classic but after you watch the 1985 movie starring Hoffman you tend to say "so what". All Hoffman needed was that quirky limp in Midnight Cowboy to play the same part. John Malcovitch was 32 years old playing a teenager. The plot revolved around a salesman in the 40's drifting into senility and his dead beat adult sons who never stopped whining. I've seen better plays in high school.

They tried to shoe in a car chase ... but, it Hal Needham wanted too much for it.

To me it was a study of a dysfunctional family who dealt with a not so happy life by living if things were better then they were.
But the fantasy comes apart and they have to deal with reality. That is the way I looked at it anyway. We had to study the play in high school. I found it a rather difficult and depressing read.

The 1985 movie starring Dustin Hoffman was based on a 1949 Broadway play that the liberal elite raved about at the time. They still call it a classic but after you watch the 1985 movie starring Hoffman you tend to say "so what". All Hoffman needed was that quirky limp in Midnight Cowboy to play the same part. John Malcovitch was 32 years old playing a teenager. The plot revolved around a salesman in the 40's drifting into senility and his dead beat adult sons who never stopped whining. I've seen better plays in high school.
Most people experience disappointments in their lives at some point, but most people are able to overcome obstacles that stand in the way of their dreams. Willy Loman's dreams, however, set him up for failure. His mistaken ideas about the American Dream lead to tragedy, not only for Willy, but for his family, as well. As a movie or play, it is not much fun to watch but Miller didn't intended it to be.

To me it was a study of a dysfunctional family who dealt with a not so happy life by living if things were better then they were.
But the fantasy comes apart and they have to deal with reality. That is the way I looked at it anyway. We had to study the play in high school. I found it a rather difficult and depressing read.
Miller saw that some people would never be able to realize the American dream, no matter how hard they worked. Miller wrote Death of a Salesman with that question in mind. It's a play about the struggle for success and disappointment of the American Dream. I have seen the 1966 movie and the play. Miller did not intend Salesman to be enjoyed but rather to raise the question in mind of the audience as to the true of the American Dream.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back