🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Deaths from heat up by 50% for 65+

Amazing, cold in Boston in mid-November.
You’ve got a big problem. The planet isn’t warming at an accelerated rate and history shows the planet was warmer long ago. Your warmer leaders have proclaimed the end is near, for two decades. They’ve cried wolf too many times. Your leaders have lied to you.

Silly ass, those deaths are the highest every recorded for one weather event involving heat or cold in Washington, Oregon, and British Columbia.

Silly ass....

1637244226804.png

1637244110613.png

This was from your link that you thought refuted westwall's "ten times" claim

Silly ass....

View attachment 565678

View attachment 565676

This was from your link that you thought refuted westwall's "ten times" claim
I am pretty sure that they are including traffic deaths in "cold related deaths". We are talking deaths from hypothermia as opposed to deaths from hyperthermia.

This shows far more heat deaths than cold. So the other numbers have to be from traffic deaths in cold weather.

"Across all countries, colder weather was linked to more excess deaths than warmer weather – approximately 20 times as many (7.29% deaths in colder weather compared with 0.42% in warmer weather).

For all countries, the optimum temperature – when there were fewest deaths linked to weather – was warmer than the average temperature for that location.

In the UK, for example, the average temperature recorded was 10.4C, while optimum temperature ranged from 15.9C in the north east to 19.5C in London. The optimum temperature for the UK was in the 90th centile, meaning that 9 out of 10 days in the UK are likely to be colder than the optimum.

The proportion of all deaths linked to extremely hot or cold days was much lower than that linked to less extreme hot or cold. The researchers say extreme heat or cold was responsible for 0.86% of deaths according to their statistical modelling (95% confidence interval 0.84 to 0.87).

However, the relative risk of dying at extremes of temperatures was increased, with a sharp increase in deaths at the hottest temperatures for most countries."
Mildly cold weather 'more deadly' than heatwaves or very cold snaps | NICS Well

Here's a report from the EPA that attempts to make heat deaths more alarming. They still have to admit that more people die from cold, even with their skewed reasoning.

• Between 1979 and 2016, the death rate as a direct result of exposure to cold (underlying cause of death) generally ranged from 1 to 2.5 deaths per million people, with year-to-year fluctuations (see Figure 1). Overall, a total of more than 19,000 Americans have died from cold-related causes since 1979, according to death certificates.
Between 1979 and 2018, the death rate as a direct result of exposure to heat (underlying cause of death) generally hovered between 0.5 and 2 deaths per million people, with spikes in certain years (see Figure 1). Overall, a total of more than 11,000 Americans have died from heat-related causes since 1979, according to death certificates.

But here is a scholarly study that easily refutes it.

Cold-weather accounts for almost all temperature-related deaths​

"With the number of extreme weather days rising around the globe in recent years due to global warming, it is no surprise that there has been an upward trend in hospital visits and admissions for injuries caused by high heat over the last several years. But cold temperatures are responsible for almost all temperature-related deaths, according to a new study published in the journal Environmental Research."

You’ve got a big problem. The planet isn’t warming at an accelerated rate and history shows the planet was warmer long ago. Your warmer leaders have proclaimed the end is near, for two decades. They’ve cried wolf too many times. Your leaders have lied to you.
1637288579014.png

We are presently in a La Nina. We should be having lower temperatures, yet last month's temperatures were in the warmest 10% of the last 42 years.

"Across all countries, colder weather was linked to more excess deaths than warmer weather – approximately 20 times as many (7.29% deaths in colder weather compared with 0.42% in warmer weather).

For all countries, the optimum temperature – when there were fewest deaths linked to weather – was warmer than the average temperature for that location.

In the UK, for example, the average temperature recorded was 10.4C, while optimum temperature ranged from 15.9C in the north east to 19.5C in London. The optimum temperature for the UK was in the 90th centile, meaning that 9 out of 10 days in the UK are likely to be colder than the optimum.

The proportion of all deaths linked to extremely hot or cold days was much lower than that linked to less extreme hot or cold. The researchers say extreme heat or cold was responsible for 0.86% of deaths according to their statistical modelling (95% confidence interval 0.84 to 0.87).

However, the relative risk of dying at extremes of temperatures was increased, with a sharp increase in deaths at the hottest temperatures for most countries."
Mildly cold weather 'more deadly' than heatwaves or very cold snaps | NICS Well

Here's a report from the EPA that attempts to make heat deaths more alarming. They still have to admit that more people die from cold, even with their skewed reasoning.

• Between 1979 and 2016, the death rate as a direct result of exposure to cold (underlying cause of death) generally ranged from 1 to 2.5 deaths per million people, with year-to-year fluctuations (see Figure 1). Overall, a total of more than 19,000 Americans have died from cold-related causes since 1979, according to death certificates.
Between 1979 and 2018, the death rate as a direct result of exposure to heat (underlying cause of death) generally hovered between 0.5 and 2 deaths per million people, with spikes in certain years (see Figure 1). Overall, a total of more than 11,000 Americans have died from heat-related causes since 1979, according to death certificates.

But here is a scholarly study that easily refutes it.

Cold-weather accounts for almost all temperature-related deaths​

"With the number of extreme weather days rising around the globe in recent years due to global warming, it is no surprise that there has been an upward trend in hospital visits and admissions for injuries caused by high heat over the last several years. But cold temperatures are responsible for almost all temperature-related deaths, according to a new study published in the journal Environmental Research."

Even by those figures, there are not 10 times as many cold deaths. 1.5 times as many. So by your own post, what you posted earlier was clearly hyperbolic exaggeration, bordering on lying.

Your link showed he underestimated cold deaths.......

View attachment 565921
I see a lot of different numbers for both. But none show ten times more deaths from cold than heat. And this year, we certainly have a record number of heat deaths in Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia. And if we continue to get heat waves like that, we are going to see a vast increase in heat deaths.

I see a lot of different numbers for both. But none show ten times more deaths from cold than heat. And this year, we certainly have a record number of heat deaths in Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia. And if we continue to get heat waves like that, we are going to see a vast increase in heat deaths.

I see a lot of different numbers for both. But none show ten times more deaths from cold than heat.

Your link showed fifteen times more in the US. Twenty times more averaged over 13 countries.

Already climate change is increasing mortality. Of course, deniers will continue to lie about this as they do everything else

"JUNE 25, 2020 — The U.S. Census Bureau today released estimates showing the nation’s 65-and-older population has grown rapidly since 2010, driven by the aging of Baby Boomers born between 1946 and 1964. The 65-and-older population grew by over a third (34.2% or 13,787,044) during the past decade, and by 3.2% (1,688,924) from 2018 to 2019. The growth of this population contributed to an increase in the national median age from 37.2 years in 2010 to 38.4 in 2019, according to the Census Bureau’s 2019 Population Estimates."

Sounds more like more oldies in the population.

Greg

Study: Cold kills 20 times more people than heat

Lancet

Cold weather kills more people than heat, Illinois study finds

Environmental Research

Heat or Cold: Which Is More Deadly?

Several studies listed

Plenty more out there.

I got Pneumonia twice (nearly died with the first one as I didn't realize I had it) during winters and several times got Strep Throat and Bronchitis had both at the same time twice.

During Summers it is so much easier to stay sick free and feel good in the regular summer heat which is really easy to handle even now at age 62 look forward to another hot summer and trips to the Columbia or Snake rivers to enjoy the water activities.

During Winters it is a greater stress on the body to handle the large temperature difference of the cold air which increases the struggle in moving around and to breathe that cold air the body continuously has to warm up as it enters the lungs.

116 F in Portland, Oregon, and if you did not have air conditioning, and were over 65, you did not have to go outside for the heat to kill you. Nearly two hundred people died of heat related issues in Washington and Oregon, and in BC, 570 died directly as a result of that heat wave;

"B.C.'s chief coroner has confirmed the majority of people who died suddenly during the week of June's record-breaking heat wave — 570 of 815 sudden deaths — lost their lives as a direct result of the extreme temperatures.Jul 29, 2021"

Yes, there was an increase in heat related deaths at the time which was caused by multiple weather fronts that converged on the region to make it far hotter than usual, but it had NEGLIGIBLE to do with Climate Change or Global Warming.

Cliff Mass Weather Blog

The Reason for the Extreme Warmth on Monday--And My Podcast on the Heat Wave is Out

and,

Flawed Heatwave Report Leads to False Headlines in Major Media

and,

Was Global Warming The Cause of the Great Northwest Heatwave? Science Says No.

Lancet

Environmental Research

Several studies listed

Plenty more out there.

I got Pneumonia twice (nearly died with the first one as I didn't realize I had it) during winters and several times got Strep Throat and Bronchitis had both at the same time twice.

During Summers it is so much easier to stay sick free and feel good in the regular summer heat which is really easy to handle even now at age 62 look forward to another hot summer and trips to the Columbia or Snake rivers to enjoy the water activities.

During Winters it is a greater stress on the body to handle the large temperature difference of the cold air which increases the struggle in moving around and to breathe that cold air the body continuously has to warm up as it enters the lungs.
That’s why I refuse to live in cold climate. I’m like a migratory bird. I go south in the winter, but I’m retired and live in a 45’ luxury diesel pusher.

That’s why I refuse to live in cold climate. I’m like a migratory bird. I go south in the winter, but I’m retired and live in a 45’ luxury diesel pusher.
I am buying a diesel pusher and am going to migrate when I retire, warm all year long is my goal.

Lancet

Environmental Research

Several studies listed

Plenty more out there.

They also say longer periods of sunlight also helps to control viruses and helps in vitamin D deficiencies
that help with the immune system.

The Human Species is very adaptable to the temperature, but people have preference to what comfort zone they want, there are people who deliberately leave the warm climate for cold Alaska as they want that climate zone to live in while others go the opposite.

The Human Species is very adaptable to the temperature, but people have preference to what comfort zone they want, there are people who deliberately leave the warm climate for cold Alaska as they want that climate zone to live in while others go the opposite.

Yup, I have always preferred it cooler. That's why I live on a mountain.

Forum List

Back