Democrats Change 181 Year-Old Rule To Allow Ilhan Omar To Wear Hijab In The House

actually it IS different. someone wearing a hijab IS protected. Someone putting a religious symbol in front of a courthouse isn't.

you should probably stop pretending you understand the issue.

Neither is protected you idiot. You don't have a RIGHT to wear a hijab in Capitol building.

Yeah, you kinda do. That's what it means when something is listed in the Bill of Rights: that you have a right to it.

And yes, of course, there are tons of shadings, nuances, and compromises involved depending on circumstances, because human interactions are always going to be complicated and involve the balancing of one person's demands and rights against another person's.

Generally speaking, however, I would pitch an ungodly hissy fit if any official government body tried to interfere in any way with my personal obedience to God as I understood it, without an overwhelmingly compelling reason to do so. Therefore, because I believe that my freedoms are only secured insofar as I am willing to secure them for others, I must therefore object to any official government body interfering in any way with Ms. Omar's personal obedience to her god as she understands it, absent an overwhelmingly compelling reason to do so.

No one has yet identified or explained that overwhelmingly compelling reason.

So there we have it.

No you certainly do not have a right to wear a Hoodie during a session of Congress, and this is EASILY proven.

Go to court in your local city wearing a hat, any hat. You will quickly be asked to remove the hat. Why? Because it is considered to be a lack of respect to wear a hat in court. Not exactly a compelling reason is it.

AND if some judge decided "I don't care about hats in my court room" he could allow it, because it's a rule, not a law.

Same thing here. You most certainly do NOT have a right to wear a hoodie in Congress. They simply had a rule against it, but now they are changing that rule.

Same reason courts routinely toss out cases against school dress codes, because you do not have a right to wear for example a t shirt with a marijuana leaf on it to school. I suppose a school could allow it within their rules if they wanted to, but there is no right.

I posted a link to a list of ACLU cases earlier. A number of them involved religious head covers. At least one involved an individual having the right to wear religious head cover in court.
NJ Appellate Division dismisses contempt finding against ACLU-NJ client who refused to remove religious head-covering in court

That ruling didn't say what you thought it said.

The ruling didn't say it, but it was part of the ACLU's argument. Unfortunately I didn't find another case about wearing a head covering in court to give as an example from the list I was looking at. There were cases about head coverings in other places, but I wanted to get as close as I could to your statements. :dunno:

And I've explained to you why the monument Moore had placed in the courthouse is different from Omar wearing a hijab.
NOT when it comes to separation of church and state you haven't. Stop with your fucking idiocy.

I've provided evidence from a Supreme Court case that not all religious expression is treated the same. You, on the other hand, continue to repeat the same claim without providing any evidence at all.
Invoking your particular religion's God in any governmental context is forbidden as I've proved with my link giving Supreme Court decisions
on the matter. U.S. Supreme Court Decisions on Separation of Church and State
You haven't proved your case at all as you keep claiming as the circumstances and rationale of the court in each decision you cite can very greatly depending on the particulars.
Analyze, detail and explain the court's rationales in each case and then get back to me, or not.
In any event don't forget the Supreme Court has the last word so unless your few pitiful examples are from the Supreme Court itself, I don't want to hear about it.

It would be like you looking at a murder with a gun, and a self-defense case with a gun, and getting upset that only one was prosecuted. After all, both involved someone being shot! They must be treated exactly the same!

It's OK. I understand that you can't actually support your claim.
That is funny because you want me to take it on faith that the couple of cases you cite have the exact same case facts and circumstances as Roy Moore's, the most pertinent example of a government representative being removed from office for failing to separate his job from his religion. But thanks for ironically pointing out your own erroneous contention.
actually it IS different. someone wearing a hijab IS protected. Someone putting a religious symbol in front of a courthouse isn't.

Neither is protected you idiot. You don't have a RIGHT to wear a hijab in Capitol building.

Yeah, you kinda do. That's what it means when something is listed in the Bill of Rights: that you have a right to it.

And yes, of course, there are tons of shadings, nuances, and compromises involved depending on circumstances, because human interactions are always going to be complicated and involve the balancing of one person's demands and rights against another person's.

Generally speaking, however, I would pitch an ungodly hissy fit if any official government body tried to interfere in any way with my personal obedience to God as I understood it, without an overwhelmingly compelling reason to do so. Therefore, because I believe that my freedoms are only secured insofar as I am willing to secure them for others, I must therefore object to any official government body interfering in any way with Ms. Omar's personal obedience to her god as she understands it, absent an overwhelmingly compelling reason to do so.

So there we have it.

No you certainly do not have a right to wear a Hoodie during a session of Congress, and this is EASILY proven.

Go to court in your local city wearing a hat, any hat. You will quickly be asked to remove the hat. Why? Because it is considered to be a lack of respect to wear a hat in court. Not exactly a compelling reason is it.

AND if some judge decided "I don't care about hats in my court room" he could allow it, because it's a rule, not a law.

Same thing here. You most certainly do NOT have a right to wear a hoodie in Congress. They simply had a rule against it, but now they are changing that rule.

Same reason courts routinely toss out cases against school dress codes, because you do not have a right to wear for example a t shirt with a marijuana leaf on it to school. I suppose a school could allow it within their rules if they wanted to, but there is no right.
LOLOL

I like how you switched from “hijab” to “hoodie.” Demonstrates even you know you’re wrong.

NOT when it comes to separation of church and state you haven't. Stop with your fucking idiocy.

Invoking your particular religion's God in any governmental context is forbidden as I've proved with my link giving Supreme Court decisions
You haven't proved your case at all as you keep claiming as the circumstances and rationale of the court in each decision you cite can very greatly depending on the particulars.
Analyze, detail and explain the court's rationales in each case and then get back to me, or not.
In any event don't forget the Supreme Court has the last word so unless your few pitiful examples are from the Supreme Court itself, I don't want to hear about it.

That is funny because you want me to take it on faith that the couple of cases you cite have the exact same case facts and circumstances as Roy Moore's, the most pertinent example of a government representative being removed from office for failing to separate his job from his religion. But thanks for ironically pointing out your own erroneous contention.

So there we have it.

Oh, is that a fact? You have evidence that courts routinely ask people to divest themselves of religiously-related clothing, do you? Because I can tell you just from anecdotal evidence that I work for a legal transcription firm owned by an Orthodox Jewish man. Not only are a lot of our employees Orthodox Jews themselves (meaning the men all wear yarmulkes), but we deal with a LOT of different courts and legal cases. Never once have I encountered any occasion on which a judge thought it appropriate or legal to ask a Jewish man to remove his yarmulke, or a Muslim woman to remove her hijab.

And if some judge DID decide he had a right to do so, the legal uproar would be deafening. Because he's acting as a government official when he's in court, which makes it a violation of the First Amendment.

Same thing here. The House of Representatives is as "official government body" as you can get. And not only does it not have the right to interfere in someone's personal religious exercise, it would also be utterly inappropriate and wrong. Which is why they are correctly proposing to change the rule, now that it has become a matter of religion, rather than simply one of fashion.

Public schools can set dress codes, but they cannot legally set dress codes which violate the student's First Amendment rights. A t-shirt with a marijuana leaf on it is not remotely comparable to a hijab or yarmulke. Any public school that tried to ban such things on campus would 1) get slapped down by the district, 2) get slapped down by the school board, and 3) get sued out the ass.
Marijuana is an integral part of the Rastafarian religion, so a pot leaf on a t-shirt can be seen as a religious garment.

So there we have it.

LOLOL

I like how you switched from “hijab” to “hoodie.” Demonstrates even you know you’re wrong.

What are you talking about ? The hijab IS a hoodie. Hoodie just sounds funnier .

In EITHER case, you have no right to wear one in Congress, thus the 180 year rule that one couldn't be worn.

So there we have it.

Oh, is that a fact? You have evidence that courts routinely ask people to divest themselves of religiously-related clothing, do you? Because I can tell you just from anecdotal evidence that I work for a legal transcription firm owned by an Orthodox Jewish man. Not only are a lot of our employees Orthodox Jews themselves (meaning the men all wear yarmulkes), but we deal with a LOT of different courts and legal cases. Never once have I encountered any occasion on which a judge thought it appropriate or legal to ask a Jewish man to remove his yarmulke, or a Muslim woman to remove her hijab.

And if some judge DID decide he had a right to do so, the legal uproar would be deafening. Because he's acting as a government official when he's in court, which makes it a violation of the First Amendment.

Same thing here. The House of Representatives is as "official government body" as you can get. And not only does it not have the right to interfere in someone's personal religious exercise, it would also be utterly inappropriate and wrong. Which is why they are correctly proposing to change the rule, now that it has become a matter of religion, rather than simply one of fashion.

Public schools can set dress codes, but they cannot legally set dress codes which violate the student's First Amendment rights. A t-shirt with a marijuana leaf on it is not remotely comparable to a hijab or yarmulke. Any public school that tried to ban such things on campus would 1) get slapped down by the district, 2) get slapped down by the school board, and 3) get sued out the ass.

Oh, you don't think public schools can ban students from wearing head coverings? LOL of course they can, for obvious reasons.

Same reason, for example, some dumb Muslim bitch who wants to wear her face covering in her DL picture can be told "um no" is that a violation of her first amendment rights ? I mean she's free to wear a garbage bag over her head in accordance to her religion, isn't she ? Well, yes yes she is, but that doesn't mean she can do whatever she wants while doing so.

And of course on the subject of Muslim women who want to practice their religion, I must once again ask. Isn't serving in Congress, going to school, driving, working, or even being out in pubic without a male escort all violations of her religion? Yes they are. Meaning, of course, that they are fake Muslims, only practicing their faith when it is convenient for them.

No, public schools can ban certain things, for certain reasons. I realize that you feel compelled to dismissively lump everything under "head covering" or "hoodie", presumably to demonstrate how lofty and above-it-all you are, but there are differences. Lots of them.

Pretending you don't see the difference between wearing a covering which leaves the face revealed and one which covers the face IN A CIRCUMSTANCE WHICH IS ALL ABOUT IDENTIFICATION just tells me that I don't have to bother taking anything you post seriously, because you consider rights you yourself aren't using to be too silly to be respected.

Come back when you think Constitutional rights are inherently important.

And I've explained to you why the monument Moore had placed in the courthouse is different from Omar wearing a hijab.

I've provided evidence from a Supreme Court case that not all religious expression is treated the same. You, on the other hand, continue to repeat the same claim without providing any evidence at all.

It would be like you looking at a murder with a gun, and a self-defense case with a gun, and getting upset that only one was prosecuted. After all, both involved someone being shot! They must be treated exactly the same!

It's OK. I understand that you can't actually support your claim.

So there we have it.

”Go to court in your local city wearing a hat, any hat. You will quickly be asked to remove the hat. Why? Because it is considered to be a lack of respect to wear a hat in court. Not exactly a compelling reason is it.”

Dumbfuck.

ALT-CHILD-superJumbo.jpg

So there we have it.

LOLOL

What are you talking about ? The hijab IS a hoodie. Hoodie just sounds funnier .

In EITHER case, you have no right to wear one in Congress, thus the 180 year rule that one couldn't be worn.
One is worn for religious reasons, the other is not. Your bigotry is irrelevant.

This is an expression of religion! I guess it’s OK when it comes to iSLAM. We’re screwed as a nation. Fucking ABNORMALS and worthless, spineless Repukes are taking us down the path of destruction!....Wherr are the SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE scumbags when they should be up in arms....but dont let a 66 year old cross stand on public property to memorialize our fallen war heros!

For 181 years, the U.S. House of Representatives has imposed a ban on its members wearing head coverings. With Ilhan Omar, one of the first Muslim women to be elected to Congress, set to take her oath of office in January, that rule—which would have prohibited her wearing her customary headscarves or the hijab—is slated to change.

The change was proposed jointly by Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi, Incoming Rules Chairman Jim McGovern and member-elect Ilhan Omar as part of a larger overhaul package.

When Omar is sworn in next year, she will become the first federal legislator to wear a religious headscarf. Her arrival will mark a number of other “firsts” as well. The Minnesota Democrat will be the first Somali-American in Congress and the first woman of color to represent her state in Washington. She’ll be joined by fellow Midwestern Democrat, Michigan’s Rashida Tlaib, as the first two Muslim women in Congress.

Hats of any kind have been banned from the House floor since 1837.

Read more at citizenfreepress.com ...

omarilhan_111518gn2_lead.jpg

IMHO, with modern communication equipment, there is really no need to have Congress in Washington DC for more that a couple days a years for ceremonial purposes.

I'd say let the broad "attend" the meetings in the buff if it pleases her, as long as she does it from her own house in Minnesota.

I think it would be best for the country to have Congresscritters stay in their districts where they can better represent their constituents.

So it's like a dunce cap, only smaller. :biggrin:
Seems to me it’s your head that’s pointy, not the yarmulke.
FYI, your "torch" on the right is actually a light. Sorry to have to break it to you.
No worries. You should tell the National Parks Services though that they got it wrong.

Is the torch open? The torch has been closed since the "Black Tom" explosion of July 30, 1916...

Frequently Asked Questions About the Statue of Liberty - Statue Of Liberty National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

So there we have it.

LOLOL

Well, thank you so much for informing us that the existence of the rule being changed is evidence that there was no requirement for changing it, based on your erroneous assumption that the rule was instituted about religious garb in the first place.

If that's not a mental circle jerk, I don't know what is.

Back here in Realityland, the rule about hats was instituted at a time when everyone in the House was a WASP male, and it was created in regards to appearing different from the British Parliament members, not in regards to any religion. This is the first time it has come into conflict with anyone's religious behavior.

So pretty obviously, since the response was to exempt religious garb from the rule, the House itself does think Ms. Omar has a right to wear her hijab.

I posted a link to a list of ACLU cases earlier. A number of them involved religious head covers. At least one involved an individual having the right to wear religious head cover in court.
NJ Appellate Division dismisses contempt finding against ACLU-NJ client who refused to remove religious head-covering in court
Irrelevant! The defendant was presumably not representing the government in any way. What he wore in court in no way
indicates a government preference for one religion over the other.

When did the Supreme Court remove religion from all of society?

People already can bring religion out of their homes and places of worship. What you have to show is that wearing a religious head cover constitutes a government endorsement of religion. There may be a good argument that, in the case of Congressional representatives, religious head covers do create such an endorsement. Unfortunately, all you've done is whine about Roy Moore and try to create a link between the alteration of a government building and the personal apparel of individuals. You've repeatedly claimed that the Supreme Court views such things the same, but have not actually shown where the court has done so.
You are so frustratingly stupid. You know Roy Moore brought his slab of rock into his courthouse because he was barred from posting a poster of the Ten Commandments in it.
It's an expression of his religion to the exclusion of others....just like Omar's hijab.

I don't have to prove that the Supreme Court would differentiate between the Ten Commandments or a Muslim hijab or a Christmas nativity scene in a public park, for that matter They are all viewed the same by the court. As a religious expression of one faith or another.

Period!
Prove other wise.

When did the Supreme Court remove religion from all of society?

People already can bring religion out of their homes and places of worship. What you have to show is that wearing a religious head cover constitutes a government endorsement of religion. There may be a good argument that, in the case of Congressional representatives, religious head covers do create such an endorsement. Unfortunately, all you've done is whine about Roy Moore and try to create a link between the alteration of a government building and the personal apparel of individuals. You've repeatedly claimed that the Supreme Court views such things the same, but have not actually shown where the court has done so.
You are so frustratingly stupid. You know Roy Moore brought his slab of rock into his courthouse because he was barred from posting a poster of the Ten Commandments in it.
It's an expression of his religion to the exclusion of others....just like Omar's hijab.

I don't have to prove that the Supreme Court would differentiate between the Ten Commandments or a Muslim hijab or a Christmas nativity scene in a public park, for that matter They are all viewed the same by the court. As a religious expression of one faith or another.

Period!
Prove other wise.
Still can’t tell the difference between express and exercise?? What a pity.

Given that the case I've been bringing up (Van Orden v Perry) takes things like the historical context of the monument in question into account, and given that a variety of things which were acceptable in the past would be considered unconstitutional today, I think my points stand.
Van Orden v. Perry - Wikipedia
There were many mitigating factors in Van Orden v Perry that differentiate it from Roy Moore's situation.
It's location, it's historical value, it's non religious value,etc. That you are comparing the two shows you really are in over your head. I'm not surprised.

Irrelevant! The defendant was presumably not representing the government in any way. What he wore in court in no way

Neither does what is worn by individual people who happen to be employed by the government. For the 47th time, they do not stop being individual citizens with personal Constitutional rights just because they're elected to office.

Neither does what is worn by individual people who happen to be employed by the government. For the 47th time, they do not stop being individual citizens with personal Constitutional rights just because they're elected to office.
The president is a private citizen with Constitutional protections however that doesn't give him the right to wear a John 3:16 ball cap or jacket when he goes out in public. When do you think you might finally understand?

How is it irrelevant to the post I was responding to, which talked about wearing a head cover in court?

You don't bother reading much, do you?

Forum List

Back