Democrats to fight Obama on secret trade deal authorization

Menerva Lindsen

Dec 18, 2014
President Barack Obama may be looking for the new Republican-controlled Congress to grant him authority to fast-track negotiations over a pair of international trade deals, but critical Democrats are fighting back against the measure.
Congress knows little about the specifics of the Trans-Pacific Partnership Free Trade Agreement (TPP) trade deal between 12 Asia-Pacific countries, but President Obama used his State of the Union speech to push Congress to support a fast-track vote on the deal. Obama said the deal is necessary “to sell more American products overseas.”
The ranking member of the Senate Budget Committee, Sen. Bernie Sanders (Independent, Vermont), joined seven House Democrats on Wednesday to state their opposition to the proposed trade agreement, saying it had been negotiated in secret and will hurt American workers. They promised to build a bipartisan coalition and work with organized labor, environmental groups and others to defeat the TPP.
I think I saw something earlier that said even Reid objected to this. I doubt it goes anywhere, but of course Obama wants to be King of everything. If we allow it happens we will get a new world dictator who is able to amend the Constitution like he will.
tumblr_m21194SWon1rt9nwyo1_400.jpg

President Barack Obama may be looking for the new Republican-controlled Congress to grant him authority to fast-track negotiations over a pair of international trade deals, but critical Democrats are fighting back against the measure.
Congress knows little about the specifics of the Trans-Pacific Partnership Free Trade Agreement (TPP) trade deal between 12 Asia-Pacific countries, but President Obama used his State of the Union speech to push Congress to support a fast-track vote on the deal. Obama said the deal is necessary “to sell more American products overseas.”
The ranking member of the Senate Budget Committee, Sen. Bernie Sanders (Independent, Vermont), joined seven House Democrats on Wednesday to state their opposition to the proposed trade agreement, saying it had been negotiated in secret and will hurt American workers. They promised to build a bipartisan coalition and work with organized labor, environmental groups and others to defeat the TPP.
I think I saw something earlier that said even Reid objected to this. I doubt it goes anywhere, but of course Obama wants to be King of everything. If we allow it happens we will get a new world dictator who is able to amend the Constitution like he will.

TPA does not provide new power to the Executive Branch. TPA is a legislative procedure, written by Congress, through which Congress defines U.S. negotiating objectives and spells out a detailed oversight and consultation process for during trade negotiations. Under TPA, Congress retains the authority to review and decide whether any proposed U.S. trade agreement will be implemented.
So Obbie won't get what he want. He must know where is his place situated. And this place is not in the White House.

TPA does not provide new power to the Executive Branch. TPA is a legislative procedure, written by Congress, through which Congress defines U.S. negotiating objectives and spells out a detailed oversight and consultation process for during trade negotiations. Under TPA, Congress retains the authority to review and decide whether any proposed U.S. trade agreement will be implemented.
So Obbie won't get what he want. He must know where is his place situated. And this place is not in the White House.

The Trade deal is so secret, the Congressmen cannot share it with their staffs. We don't know what is in it.

Forum List

Back