Democrats who support Stand Your Ground

Actually, stand your ground is about people not being to come in after the fight and argue that they had a chance to run away because they should have seen the open door in an alley three blocks away when they passed it. Holmes said it best when he pointed out that no one is going to think rationally when looking at a knife.

THE SELF-DEFENSE CASES: HOW THE UNITED STATES SUPREME COURT CONFRONTED A HANGING JUDGE IN THE NINETEENTH CENTURY AND TAUGHT SOME LESSONS FOR JURISPRUDENCE IN THE TWENTY-FIRST

It also removes the ability of the skell's remaining family to sue the would be victim because said victim should have retreated from thier now room temperature relative.

Why should people be sued for defending themselves from a crime?

They shouldn't be. With a duty to retreat though, the skell's relatives could theoretically sue the intended victim for excessive force. With the duty to retreat removed, a lawsuit is far harder against a victim who defended themself.

Civil action can be taken no matter the outcome of a criminal trial.
Stand your ground means that you have a right to be someplace and have no requirement to leave that place. In your home stand your ground doesn't enter into the equation at all. You have a right to defend yourself, loved ones, and your property from unlawful actions. If someone enters your home while you are inside it is probable that they are there to harm you. Burglars don't go into occupied homes - they don't like confrontations that can identify them. Robbers (people who use force to steal things) do go into occupied dwellings and bring with them force to exert to get what they want.
It is justifiable to use deadly force only when you feel your life or the lives of others are in danger or if there is a threat of grievous physical or mental harm. It is reasonable to assume that is the case when a robber enters your home while you are there.
In my state the law says I can use deadly force to stop any felony in progress. When an uninvited "guest" enters my home that is unlawful entry or breaking and entering. That begins my ability to use whatever force I feel necessary to prevent harm to myself, others, or my property. Your state laws may vary but where I live The police would not arrest me for killing a bad guy in my home.

Forum List

Back