Deputy accused of handcuffing third-graders in school: video

Depending on the particular problems the children have, I can see the need for the children needing restrained.

I would NOT advocate that particular method.

Agreed, but I also think kids with those sorts of problems need to be in schools designed to deal with them.
Those kinds of schools are now gone, for the most part, due to the belief in mainstreaming and lack of funds.

In kentucky! Anyone surprised
A real big man it takes to do this

ACLU Deputy sued for handcuffing disabled children - CNN.com

"Both children were being punished for behavior related to their disabilities,' the ACLU said in a statement."

Well, we punish serial killers for behavior related to their disabilities as well. Is there a problem?

And your opinion on hancuffing 8 year olds around their biceps for simply acting out?
Kentucky-Kid.jpg

Depending on the particular problems the children have, I can see the need for the children needing restrained.

I would NOT advocate that particular method.

Agreed, but I also think kids with those sorts of problems need to be in schools designed to deal with them.

The kid in question had ADHD . Every school in America has those. It's not a special condition unlike the officer who was.

"Both children were being punished for behavior related to their disabilities,' the ACLU said in a statement."

Well, we punish serial killers for behavior related to their disabilities as well. Is there a problem?
Yes, only in this mind do you relate by putting serial killers and 8 year old's in the same position of detainer and social level...

Today's misbehaving 8-year-old is tomorrow's psycho serial-killer thug.

TMI. We kinda figured you had issues but we don't need to hear it.

Sometimes "the least restrictive environment" IS a set of cuffs.

Umhm.

The cop did not act wrongly or excessively or illegal. He acted appropriately. Such children can learn that certain behaviors in certain situations are not acceptable, period. If it takes reasonable restraint for a short period of time to catch the child's attention, OK.

The other day, I heard a person who was a teacher talking quietly with another woman, and told her, "I care for your child. But in my class, it is my rules." Children need to learn acceptable boundaries.

The cop did not act wrongly or excessively or illegal. He acted appropriately. Such children can learn that certain behaviors in certain situations are not acceptable, period. If it takes reasonable restraint for a short period of time to catch the child's attention, OK.

The other day, I heard a person who was a teacher talking quietly with another woman, and told her, "I care for your child. But in my class, it is my rules." Children need to learn acceptable boundaries.

Sorry, I don't see cuffs as in any way acceptable. The officer should not have had any role in the child's discipline. That's not what he's in the School for or trained for.
The school staff who are trained to assist special needs kids with their behavior should have handled it.

Nope, that was the school personnel's decision to use the officer.

If the parents cannot prepare the child adequately to handle the boundaries of school behavior, then en loco parentis falls to the school's personnel.

Otherwise, if the parents think such is unacceptable, privately school or home school the children. Restraint is acceptable boundary control and instruction until the child understands and cooperates.

If the parents cannot prepare the child adequately to handle the boundaries of school behavior, then en loco parentis falls to the school's personnel.

Otherwise, if the parents think such is unacceptable, privately school or home school the children. Restraint is acceptable boundary control and instruction until the child understands and cooperates.

I don't agree. The child has a diagnosed condition that can have behavior issues associated with it. Educators understand this or should. There are methods for dealing with children that don't include police restraints. They were wrong. The officer is not credentialed or trained to interact with the children in this way. I see it as akin to the custodian duct taping the child to a chair. Unacceptable.

The child does not have a disability, only a difficulty in focusing.

The officer helped him to focus. That does not require a psych or other trained personnel.

In no way is it similar to the custodian incident.

In public, children are subject to the public's boundaries.

The officer helped him to focus. That does not require a psych or other trained personnel.

The officer isn't credentialed to " help" the child focus. If restraints are to be used they should be soft restraints used by someone trained to do so. That's where the officer and custodian are exactly the same. Neither is credentialed by the state to interact with children in schools in that way. The officer had no legal authority to do what he did. He should have had the sense to say no. If that were my child I would have the ass of everyone involved as well as the district.

You downplayed ADHD as only a " difficulty in focusing". If that's the case then they definately took it too far as they should have better, simpler methods to modify his behavior. I can't imagine that law enforcement or family services would accept the "focus" explaination of a parent shopping with their child's arms cuffed behind their back. It's not ok in any way.

You're an idiot.

He has a disorder and you obviously have no clue.

A cop shouldn't have been called in the first place. Cops are for criminals not for kids with disorders.

The officer did nothing to help the kid focus. ADHD kids have trouble with self-control, attention, being distracted, excess energy. Handcuffing them doesn't teach them or help them learn any of these things.

Again, you're an idiot.

Not teaching children (1) boundaries and (2) actions have consequences by (3) persons of authority in a (4) safe and acceptable environment is (5) idiotic. No credentials were required by the officer in that situation. He acted with common sense and restraint, and he helped that child in a safe environment to learn acceptable boundaries.

Zoom-boing, you are the idiot. You remind me of a mother who threatened a teacher with "I will kill you" and was amazed that she was led out of school in hand cuffs.

Listen to non-credentialed individuals like zoom and hutch act as if they know anything about how to handle this situation.

Last edited:
Not teaching children (1) boundaries and (2) actions have consequences by (3) persons of authority in a (4) safe and acceptable environment is (5) idiotic. No credentials were required by he officer in that situation.

Zoom-boing is an idiot. You remind me of a mother who threatened a teacher with "I will kill you" and was amazed that she was led out of school in hand cuffs.

Moron, I'm the one saying they shouldn't have called the cops and here you are saying I'm a mom who would threaten to kill a teacher. The stupid is strong in you today, Jake.

Adhd is a chronic condition/disorder including attention difficulty, hyperactivity, and impulsiveness. Adhd kids are not able to regulate/self control like a normal kid is. It isn't a matter of 'here are the rules, follow them or else'. You obviously have no clue about kids with this type of disorder. I've raised one. The schools are equipped to deal with these kids, inclusiveness is all the rage. Maybe that's the problem, don't know. What I do know is that you're talking out your ass. People who haven't raised a s/n kid often do that.

Listen to non-credentialed individuals like zoom and hutch act as if they know anything about how to handle this situation.

I've raised a special needs kids, I know what it entails, how they think, what they are/are not capable of. There's my damn credentials, asshat.

One, yes, the police officer should have been called, and, two, I said you reminded me of the mother not the you were the mother.

You sound hysterical. You are not a credential individual to say what is the proper behavior in such a setting.

I raised four children, some of those years as a single parent. Yes, they had needs as well. What you lack is common sense. I am fully qualified to tell you that you are wrong.

If that was my child the cop would be missing his balls.

Handcuffing is taught/used as a way to keep EVERYONE safer, including the person in cuffs. If the kid got physical and the cop so much as bear hugged him to keep him and others from being hurt, , you pos's would go hysterical about THAT too, So eff you

Forum List

Back