Deputy accused of handcuffing third-graders in school: video

Cops should NOT have been called to that. They aren't nannies or special needs kids damn counselors. Their only legit role is enforcing violations of law.
The school officials thought otherwise, and the officer took on the responsibility. Good on him. Parents get uppity, and then even more so when made to look uppity. :lol:

Let it be known that Jake thinks that calling a cop and handcuffing a child with a behavior disorder is just peachy.

Cops should NOT have been called to that. They aren't nannies or special needs kids damn counselors. Their only legit role is enforcing violations of law.
The school officials thought otherwise, and the officer took on the responsibility. Good on him. Parents get uppity, and then even more so when made to look uppity. :lol:

Let it be known that Jake thinks that calling a cop and handcuffing a child with a behavior disorder is just peachy.
Yep. He sure does.

I don't think the cop should've done it. He shouldn't have done ANYTHING other than say "Sorry...we don't do child discipline". And the moron school staff shouldn't have called him.

Imagine that....they call cop to do THEIR job....then video him and smear him for how he (legally) did it.

Correct. And where in the part of dealing with the child's development issues...is a gun or handcuffs or taser needed? A child isn't going to jail. By statute they can't. A gun and taser aren't necessary either. So WHAT is the reason a parent or teacher would ask cops to handle it? Answer: They're too chicken shit to handle it themselves, don't want to be on video and are just overall morons.

A child with those issues.....doesn't need to be handled by arrest, handcuffing, a gun or taser or baton or spray or special police takedown techniques. Therefore....cops arent needed. Teachers and parents can do whatever is necessary.
Right on -- and well said!

All this whining because an adult took charge and a child with a non-disability learned to follow directions. I sent a congratulatory note to the school.

All this whining because an adult took charge and a child with a non-disability learned to follow directions. I sent a congratulatory note to the school.
That's all good. But parents and teachers should do that. Not the men with guns and cuffs.

The cop did not act wrongly or excessively or illegal. He acted appropriately. Such children can learn that certain behaviors in certain situations are not acceptable, period. If it takes reasonable restraint for a short period of time to catch the child's attention, OK.

The other day, I heard a person who was a teacher talking quietly with another woman, and told her, "I care for your child. But in my class, it is my rules." Children need to learn acceptable boundaries.
I don't know if you are a cop or an authoritarian/dominant personality who wishes he was one. But whichever, it is obvious you have never been the subject of a police misconduct lawsuit nor have you ever spent time in a civil court during such a trial. So I suggest you do a little Google research on the topic of lawsuits re: police misconduct.

It might surprise you to learn the New York City Police Department, alone, in the past ten years has paid out more than half-a-billion dollars in settlements and awards to plaintiffs in lawsuits against the NYPD because of misconduct on the part of its cops.

Your comments reflect the casual locker-room bravado of "salty" cops who routinely counsel rookies on the way to circumvent the rules of Procedure and to perpetrate everything from minor misdemeanors to major felonies in the name of the Law. What you don't know is how much of the misconduct arising from the nonsensical theories you casually expound on end up costing the taxpayers a hell of a lot of money.

I suggest to any parent to teach their child to follow common, acceptable boundaries, and I will bet there will be no issues.

I have explained. He is a certified police officer trained to handle difficult situations. He violated no laws, no regulations. It is what it is.
What you casually refer to as handling a "difficult situation" would be presented to a civil jury as deliberately inflicting trauma on a psychologically disordered child. The presentation would include this photograph and you would be asked to explain the necessity of your action.

Kentucky-Kid.jpg

And before stepping off with your theories on why this form of restraint represents a common sense approach to dealing with Special Needs children you should understand that even in mental hospitals an orderly may not use mechanical restraints on a patient unless it has been categorically authorized by a doctor.

Parents, when your child goes into the public, he is subject to the public's rules first, and your ability to interfere is restricted.
What do you mean by, ". . . into the public?" This boy was lodged in school under Special Needs circumstances. He wasn't out in public. And even if he was the police are not authorized to restrain unruly children in whatever way they see fit -- even if, like you, they think they are. In unusual situations they should request instructions from a superior.

It is only after they end up in civil court, which is vastly different from criminal court, they often realize how wrong they were. Unfortunately, in civil cases it is the taxpayers who get to pay for the cops' mistakes and misconducts.

Last edited:
Bucs90, that's not your call, is it, only your opinion. A child is not a car or a cable.

If the child can't or won't focus and can't or won't follow simple instructions at school, the logical conclusion must be the parent, in part, is not following up.
Again, is that your professional diagnosis? If so, what do you recommend as a course of treatment? Strait-jacket? Handcuffs? How about a ball-gag?

It's not your call, either, MikeK. It is of the professionals there at the school. They made it, and the problem was resolved. There is no record of the child not following instructions since. Let me know if that is wrong.

Adhd is a DISORDER, you moron. Stop with the "non-disability" jargon. You're so full of shit. You're a know-nothing, you have no clue. None at all.

Jake thinks kids with the following should be handcuffed so it would stand to reason that he'd be fine to whip people with autoimmune disorders and flog those with bi-polar disorder. What an asshole you are Jake.

"Signs & Symptoms

Inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity are the key behaviors of ADHD. It is normal for all children to be inattentive, hyperactive, or impulsive sometimes, but for children with ADHD, these behaviors are more severe and occur more often. To be diagnosed with the disorder, a child must have symptoms for 6 or more months and to a degree that is greater than other children of the same age.

Children who have symptoms of inattention may:
  • Be easily distracted, miss details, forget things, and frequently switch from one activity to another
  • Have difficulty focusing on one thing
  • Become bored with a task after only a few minutes, unless they are doing something enjoyable
  • Have difficulty focusing attention on organizing and completing a task or learning something new
  • Have trouble completing or turning in homework assignments, often losing things (e.g., pencils, toys, assignments) needed to complete tasks or activities
  • Not seem to listen when spoken to
  • Daydream, become easily confused, and move slowly
  • Have difficulty processing information as quickly and accurately as others
  • Struggle to follow instructions.
Children who have symptoms of hyperactivity may:

• Fidget and squirm in their seats
  • Talk nonstop
  • Dash around, touching or playing with anything and everything in sight
  • Have trouble sitting still during dinner, school, and story time
  • Be constantly in motion
  • Have difficulty doing quiet tasks or activities.
Children who have symptoms of impulsivity may:
  • Be very impatient
  • Blurt out inappropriate comments, show their emotions without restraint, and act without regard for consequences
  • Have difficulty waiting for things they want or waiting their turns in games
  • Often interrupt conversations or others' activities.
ADHD Can Be Mistaken for Other Problems

Parents and teachers can miss the fact that children with symptoms of inattention have the disorder because they are often quiet and less likely to act out. They may sit quietly, seeming to work, but they are often not paying attention to what they are doing. They may get along well with other children, compared with those with the other subtypes, who tend to have social problems. But children with the inattentive kind of ADHD are not the only ones whose disorders can be missed. For example, adults may think that children with the hyperactive and impulsive subtypes just have emotional or disciplinary problems."

NIMH Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder ADHD

ADHD is not recognized as a disability within the spec ed protections.

End of that subject.

I don't have to prove there has been no new infractions. All I can say there is no record of it. If you can disprove me, go for it.

ADHD is not recognized as a disability within the spec ed protections.

End of that subject.

I don't have to prove there has been no new infractions. All I can say there is no record of it. If you can disprove me, go for it.

No one but you is saying anything about it being a disability. Why you are arguing with yourself is strange.

It's a disorder and is recognized as such within the special ed protections. Adhd kids get iep's.

You have nothing. Typical.

It is not a disability. No special accommodation. End of discussion. As a former longtime school board member and a term school board president, I know how things work.

It is not a disability. No special accommodation. End of discussion. As a former longtime school board member and a term school board president, I know how things work.

You need to take a remedial reading class or something. No one but YOU is calling it a disability. You want to continue arguing something that only you are saying? Have fun with that.

It IS a disorder and adhd kids DO get iep's, which include special accommodations. I've been through 13+ years of iep meetings with schools for my kid, 22+ years raising a special needs kid, I know how the system works. Adhd kids get iep's and those iep's most certainly do include special accommodations, if needed.

The only thing you know is how to spew shit.

I am not calling it a disability. You indicate the disorder should be treated as such. It won't. As a parent you are not in charge of the school district's policies and behaviors. You have input to an IEP, but none in classroom management.

I am not calling it a disability. You indicate the disorder should be treated as such. It won't. As a parent you are not in charge of the school district's policies and behaviors. You have input to an IEP, but none in classroom management.

You are flat out wrong and are spewing because you don't know what you don't know. Just stop, you only make yourself look even more the fool. An iep is written and is followed in the classroom ... that's the whole reason for the iep. If an iep says an adhd kid needs an aide, they get an aide. If the adhd kid needs adaptive tools, they get them. Adhd kids get special accommodations if they are needed. Cops are NOT special accommodations, cops are for criminals. Oh wait, you believe that a child with a disorder is a criminal and therefore, calling a cop when the disorder presents an issue is just fine? Okay, you go with that.

You're also completely and totally full of shit saying that a parent has no input in classroom management. ABOSOLTELY TOTALLY FULL OF SHIT. Know how I know? Because I'm a parent of a special needs kids and I ABSOLUTELY had input in classroom management.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back