🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Despite letters of apology from admin, congress furious over Bergdahl deal

That will be up to SCOTUS in the end, I believe.

Releasing criminals is not the role of the CiC.......now...pay attention......

I am referring to the detainees we have in GITMO.

They are NOT POW's. They are criminals that we sought out and captured to be brought to justice. There is a difference. A BIG difference. They were not enemy soldiers that lost a battle and surrendered to our troops and taken as POW's.

We had special operations to find these particular guys and take them into custody so they could face a trial for their crimes against American. Most were not even on the field of battle and I believe some were found in Pakistan. (not sure about that though).

If you recall....Holder wanted to formally charge them and have them tried in US Federal Courts.

We do not try POW's.

So the president freed criminals. Perhaps for a good cause.....but that is NOT his role as a CiC. That is the role of the justice department.

Unless the President pardons them.

Now, if he pardoned them, then he needed the approval of congress to use tax payer money to transport a pardoned criminal.

Did he do that?

call them anything you like... when Afghanistan ends, the detainees in GITMO are sent home. That's an international law
I just heard acnn analyst state that depends on whether they are labeled enemy combatants rather than a terrorist .

call them anything you like... when Afghanistan ends, the detainees in GITMO are sent home. That's an international law
I just heard acnn analyst state that depends on whether they are labeled enemy combatants rather than a terrorist .

they haven't been labeled as terrorists or stood trial as terrorists ... detainee is the so called nomenclature ... unlike so many wish would happen, POW's and detainees can't be held after Afghanistan is over, nor can congress delay a POTUS for 30 days from making a military decision.

you are wrong.

We did not declare war on Afghanistan. We declared war against the Taliban for harboring and assisting terrorists.

Leaving Afghanistan does not mean the war is over.

We are simply vacating a front.

There is no law that states that we must give up detainees if the war is still ongoing.

FYI.....the Taliban have not agreed that the war will be over in 18 months.

they haven't been labeled as terrorists or stood trial as terrorists ... detainee is the so called nomenclature ... unlike so many wish would happen, POW's and detainees can't be held after Afghanistan is over, nor can congress delay a POTUS for 30 days from making a military decision.

you are wrong.

We did not declare war on Afghanistan. We declared war against the Taliban for harboring and assisting terrorists.

Leaving Afghanistan does not mean the war is over.

We are simply vacating a front.

There is no law that states that we must give up detainees if the war is still ongoing.

FYI.....the Taliban have not agreed that the war will be over in 18 months.

345oaid.gif

Jake he didn't give Congress the required 30 day notification. He broke the law.

And to return the 5 top echelon Taliban members is going to come back to haunt the US.
He let go a known mass murderer who massacred innocent Afghan civilians on quite a regular basis.

He doesn't need to give 30 days..they changed that in the ndaa. Furthermore this plan has been in the works since at least 2012...Congress knew about it then.

You have nothing

Give us a link to that change in ndaa

Being in the works, is not the same thing as letting them know the exact time of exchange.

Many in Congress will still be opposed to the swap, but lawmakers gave up their right to stop it. A small change in the Fiscal Year 2014 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), which passed last December, now makes it only a requirement that the Defense Secretary notify Congress when releasing Guantanamo prisoners. Before the change, Congressional sign off on any Guantanamo releases would have been needed.

Here are the Taliban Terrorists Obama Released to Free POW Bowe Bergdahl « RAWA News

And that would have been the right answer

There is nothing in the NDAA that orders the executive branch to seek Congressional approval in this matter. It only required them to inform the defense, appropriations, and intelligence committees.

That has nothing to do with what I said. I don't have an issue with that Obama didn't notify Congress, I have an issue with that he made the trade. It is just another ill advised poorly thought through decision buy a guy who isn't up for the job.

so then you agree that Bush wasnt up for the job either, since it came out that they would have most likely made the deal as well.

WTF he signed it into law, now he may choose to ignore it but never the less it is law. Why did he apologize for something he didn't have to do?

Why would Feinstein be grandstanding on Obama's back?

Read and learn: Obama broke the law. He needs to admit it. - The Week

Signing statements and executive orders are funny like that..they work around things...being cic means he can...just like every other president.

"
Rep. Howard P. “Buck” McKeon, California Republican and committee chairman, expressed relief over Sgt. Bergdahl’s release but said “we have a responsibility to both the American people and the troops still in harm’s way in Afghanistan to get to the bottom of this deal with the Taliban

“I am particularly troubled by the release of five senior Taliban leaders, men with the blood of many on their hands, and the implications for our deployed forces,” Mr. McKeon said. “I am no less concerned that the Obama administration broke a national security law, passed with bipartisan support and signed by the president, in transferring these detainees

Read more: Inside the Ring: Hagel to testify before House panel on Bergdahl prisoner exchange - Washington Times
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Here are the Taliban Terrorists Obama Released to Free POW Bowe Bergdahl « RAWA News

Many in Congress will still be opposed to the swap, but lawmakers gave up their right to stop it. A small change in the Fiscal Year 2014 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), which passed last December, now makes it only a requirement that the Defense Secretary notify Congress when releasing Guantanamo prisoners. Before the change, Congressional sign off on any Guantanamo releases would have been needed.

yawn

Edit: deletion of a personal attack on Jarhead.

Pardon has nothing to do with this.

Really?

And you call me ignorant?

JS...you may learn something if you open your mind.

They are charged with crimes. Not war crimes. Crimes against Americans. That is why Holder believed they should be tried in US Federal Courts.

The President can not declare a criminal "not guilty" and order his release....however he CAN pardon him.

But he can not spend a dime of tax payer money on that pardoned criminal without approval of congress.

He did exactly that this week.

BHO can do almost anything he wants in the conduct of the war.

He does not need your or Congress's approval.

When did Congress make a formal declaration of war giving the President unlimited power to conduct that war? I must have missed it.

Including top dems:

"I think that they expected everybody just to fall in line," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), chairwoman of the Senate Intelligence Committee and one of those who received a personal apology from a senior White House aide.

"Feinstein said the White House failed to anticipate that bypassing Congress would provoke anger on both sides of the aisle. The discovery that the five Afghans were top-ranking Taliban commanders has fueled concerns that the trade may endanger U.S. security.

""This is an issue that certainly those of us on the Intelligence Committee care a great deal about," Feinstein said. "Because we believe that there is potential danger from certain of these five people."

White House faces growing fury in Congress over Bowe Bergdahl deal*-*Los Angeles Times

apparently, reality didn't reach the righwitngnut blogosphere yet....

the "story" is a lie.

Obama: Congress Consulted on Bergdahl Exchange - ABC News

There is nothing in the NDAA that orders the executive branch to seek Congressional approval in this matter. It only required them to inform the defense, appropriations, and intelligence committees.

That has nothing to do with what I said. I don't have an issue with that Obama didn't notify Congress, I have an issue with that he made the trade. It is just another ill advised poorly thought through decision buy a guy who isn't up for the job.

so then you agree that Bush wasnt up for the job either, since it came out that they would have most likely made the deal as well.

Wow, this is when I wish I was a libertarian instead of in either of your pathetic political parties. Oh, wait, I am a libertarian!

Yes, W sucked. We should not have been in Iraq at all and we should not have nation built in Afghanistan.

Wow, this is when I wish I was a libertarian instead of in either of your pathetic political parties. Oh, wait, I am a libertarian!

Yes, W sucked. We should not have been in Iraq at all and we should not have nation built in Afghanistan.

i was just asking

Including top dems:

"I think that they expected everybody just to fall in line," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), chairwoman of the Senate Intelligence Committee and one of those who received a personal apology from a senior White House aide.

"Feinstein said the White House failed to anticipate that bypassing Congress would provoke anger on both sides of the aisle. The discovery that the five Afghans were top-ranking Taliban commanders has fueled concerns that the trade may endanger U.S. security.

""This is an issue that certainly those of us on the Intelligence Committee care a great deal about," Feinstein said. "Because we believe that there is potential danger from certain of these five people."

White House faces growing fury in Congress over Bowe Bergdahl deal*-*Los Angeles Times

the "story" is a lie.

Republicans in Congress criticized the agreement and complained about not having been consulted, citing a law that requires that Congress be notified 30 days before a prisoner is released from Guantanamo. Republicans on the House Armed Services Committee said the Pentagon notified the panel by phone on Saturday that the exchange was occurring in the next five hours.

once again allie is wrong

Really?

And you call me ignorant?

JS...you may learn something if you open your mind.

They are charged with crimes. Not war crimes. Crimes against Americans. That is why Holder believed they should be tried in US Federal Courts.

The President can not declare a criminal "not guilty" and order his release....however he CAN pardon him.

But he can not spend a dime of tax payer money on that pardoned criminal without approval of congress.

He did exactly that this week.

BHO can do almost anything he wants in the conduct of the war.

He does not need your or Congress's approval.

When did Congress make a formal declaration of war giving the President unlimited power to conduct that war? I must have missed it.

September 14 2001.

Section 2 - Authorization For Use of United States Armed Forces[edit]
(a) IN GENERAL- That the President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons.

Including top dems:

the "story" is a lie.

You asshole! Even that scumbag leftist Diane Feinstein confirms...

Feinstein: Congress Should Have Been Consulted on Bergdahl Exchange

Senate Democrat Says Administration Took Too Long to Loop In Lawmakers Over POW Swap

Feinstein: Congress Should Have Been Consulted on Bergdahl Exchange - WSJ

Last edited:
Including top dems:

the "story" is a lie.

One more:

Obama administration briefs senators on decision to make deal for Bergdahl?s release - The Washington Post

It's been over five years. At what point will you own it?

Lot of Camels with missiles up their butts ma'am, it's messy, be patient, it takes time.

So not any time soon, I didn't think so.

That you don't take responsibility for your own actions doesn't mean no one else can hold you to responsibility for them.

We'll be living with the consequences of President Bushes decisions for decades to come. The clean up crew doesn't own that. But don't you worry none, the statist again lifted the rug and swept all the dirt under it for you. As a bonus you get to Carter'ize' Obama. Yippie.

Lot of Camels with missiles up their butts ma'am, it's messy, be patient, it takes time.

So not any time soon, I didn't think so.

That you don't take responsibility for your own actions doesn't mean no one else can hold you to responsibility for them.

We'll be living with the consequences of President Bushes decisions for decades to come. The clean up crew doesn't own that. But don't you worry none, the statist again lifted the rug and swept all the dirt under it for you. As a bonus you get to Carter'ize' Obama. Yippie.

So if Hillary does follow Obama we can still look forward to W being blamed for every problem. Why am I not surprised?

What's funniest about your sheepdom is that Obama has most of the same policies that W did. Yet you see him doing the same things as fixing the problems caused by the same policies.

Including top dems:

the "story" is a lie.

Republicans in Congress criticized the agreement and complained about not having been consulted, citing a law that requires that Congress be notified 30 days before a prisoner is released from Guantanamo. Republicans on the House Armed Services Committee said the Pentagon notified the panel by phone on Saturday that the exchange was occurring in the next five hours.

once again allie is wrong

They notified them FIVE HOURS ahead of time?

Okay, you realize the law requires 30 days. Right?

Oh wait, it's jill and what's his face. Of course you don't know what the law says.

Forum List

Back