🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

DeVos to make getting away with campus rape easy again

I've known girls who were raped; I've known guys who were falsely accused.

The former is tragic, the second only slightly less so. A false allegation can ruin a young man's life. They should not be assumed to be guilty. There are some pretty twisted females out there who will abuse the trust we give rape victims to destroy someone's life, often for the dumbest of reasons.

In the most recent case I'm talking about, because the dude was black, and she was embarrassed when people found out, so she tried to make it seem like he drugged her. Complete bullshit; the cops figured her out in a day (no charges against the lying slag, of course), but if they were less competent it could've been tragic for him.

The cops should handle such serious cases. Not a bunch of dimwits on a school board.

Morons....this is the kangaroo court system she is trying to address....

Here Is Every Crazy Title IX Rape Case Betsy DeVos Referenced, Plus a Bunch More

The Obama-era Office for Civil Rights compelled universities to design sexual assault adjudication policies that have deprived students of due process rights and weakened protections for freedom of expression.

In a speech this afternoon, DeVos said her department would revise its existing guidance for complying with Title IX, the federal statute at the center of the effort.

DeVos cited several examples of colleges putting students through Kafkaesque quasi-judicial procedures. I promise you they are real. We've written about them at Reason.

College Rape Trials Are Unfair to Men and Women. Here's Why."

2. The University of Southern California

"You may have recently read about a disturbing case in California," said DeVos. "It's the story of an athlete, his girlfriend, and the failed system. The couple was described as 'playfully roughhousing,' but a witness thought otherwise and the incident was reported to the university's Title IX coordinator. The young woman repeatedly assured campus officials she had not been abused nor had any misconduct occurred. But because of the failed system, university administrators told her they knew better. They dismissed the young man, her boyfriend, from the football team and expelled him from school. 'When I told the truth,' the young woman said, 'I was stereotyped and was told I must be a 'battered' woman, and that made me feel demeaned and absurdly profiled.'"

Elizabeth Nolan Brown wrote about that one here: "Star-Crossed Student Athletes Torn Apart By Title IX Witchhunt at USC."

3. George Mason University

"Another student at a different school saw her rapist go free," said Devos. "He was found responsible by the school, but in doing so, the failed system denied him due process. He sued the school, and after several appeals in civil court, he walked free."

There are a few different cases that arguably meet this description; I wrote about one of them here: "Students Had BDSM Sex. Male Says He Obeyed Safe Word. GMU Agreed, Expelled Him Anyway."

4. The University of Tennessee

"A student on another campus is under a Title IX investigation for a wrong answer on a quiz," said DeVos. "The question asked the name of the class Lab instructor. The student didn't know the instructor's name, so he made one up—Sarah Jackson—which unbeknownst to him turned out to be the name of a model. He was given a zero and told that his answer was 'inappropriate' because it allegedly objectified the female instructor. He was informed that his answer 'meets the Title IX definition of sexual harassment.' His university opened an investigation without any complainants."

That can't be true. It's just too crazy, right? Wrong. It happened, and I wrote about it here: "Tennessee Student Accused of Sexual Harassment Because He Wrote Instructor's Name Wrong." And I posted a follow-up here: "UT Student Now Being Investigated for Sexual Harassment After Writing His Instructor's Name Wrong."

5. various colleges

"Too many cases involve students and faculty who have faced investigation and punishment simply for speaking their minds or teaching their classes," said DeVos.

Consider the case of Northwestern University's Laura Kipnis, whose skepticism about rules forbidding sexual relationships between students and professors led to her being investigated under Title IX: "This Prof Dared to Challenge Her Students' Views on Sex. Here's How They Retaliated."

Or the case of Louisiana State University's Teresa Buchanan: "LSU Professor Fired for Telling Jokes Is Latest Victim of College Anti-Sex Hysteria."

Or a case at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst, where residence advisors claimed that making jokes about Harambe, the dead gorilla and internet meme, could constitute a violation of Title IX: "UMass-Amherst: Harambe Jokes Are Racist Microaggressions, Violate Title IX."

Then there are some Title IX cases DeVos neither mentioned nor implied, but could have easily served as examples of the sort of mania that has taken hold on campuses:

6. Amherst College

A male student was expelled for sexual assault, even though he had credible evidence that his accuser had assaulted him: "Amherst Student Was Expelled for Rape. But He Was Raped, Evidence Shows."

7. Brandeis University

A gay male student accused his ex-boyfriend of sexual assault. Even though the alleged infractions—a stolen glance in the shower, a wake-up kiss—were incredibly silly, the investigator found the accused responsible for sexual misconduct: "Judge Sides with Gay Brandeis Student Guilty of 'Serious Sexual Transgression' for Kissing Sleeping Boyfriend."

8. Colorado State University-Pueblo

An athlete of color, Grant Neal, was accused of sexually assaulting a female trainer—but not by her. When questioned, the trainer said, "I'm fine and I wasn't raped." University officials pointed out that according to Title IX, they got to be the judge of that, not her. Neal was deemed guilty and expelled: "Female Student Said, 'I'm Fine and I Wasn't Raped.' University Investigated, Expelled Boyfriend Anyway."

9. University of Texas-Arlington

A gay male student claimed a classmate, Thomas Klocke, told him to "consider killing himself." The classmate denied ever saying such a thing; according to his version of events, the accuser came on to him and didn't appreciate being rejected. The gay student filed a Title IX sexual harassment complaint against Klocke, who was found responsible. He then committed suicide: "Lawsuit: Male Student Accused of Sexual Harassment for Rejecting Gay Advances Commits Suicide After Title IX Verdict."

The practice of ruining lives and justifying it on the basis of fighting toxic masculinity could not continue in a sane world.
DeVos injected some badly needed sense into what has become a method of petty revenge.

Also, I tell ya what, put the evidence of what Comey found and the bitches obstruction and false statements in front of a grand jury with an unbiased prosecutor and I'll accept their decision. Not doing so proves there are different standards for the rich and powerful.

The Whitewater investigation DID go before a Little Rock grand jury...with Ken Starr as the prosecutor who has now apologized for his calumny.

Maybe you should move your thinking into this decade. Your reminiscing is nothing but deflection.

I've known girls who were raped; I've known guys who were falsely accused.

The former is tragic, the second only slightly less so. A false allegation can ruin a young man's life. They should not be assumed to be guilty. There are some pretty twisted females out there who will abuse the trust we give rape victims to destroy someone's life, often for the dumbest of reasons.

In the most recent case I'm talking about, because the dude was black, and she was embarrassed when people found out, so she tried to make it seem like he drugged her. Complete bullshit; the cops figured her out in a day (no charges against the lying slag, of course), but if they were less competent it could've been tragic for him.

The cops should handle such serious cases. Not a bunch of dimwits on a school board.

Why on earth should these universities be involved in any way other than contacting the actual police is simply amazing to me....but that is the fascism of the left.......and they keep telling us that the left isn't interested in regulating sex.....now that is funny...

My view B DeVos is not qualified for the job, has a small limited view, serves a small portion of the population. and is a negative influence on public schools.

The public school system is the negative influence on public schools. Public schools no longer exist to serve the interests of education; they exist to serve the interests of the employees of the public schools.
How so? explain this view.

Yes. He was threatened and terrified of being railroaded into an even worse sentence. He was innocent. That his was browbeaten into accepting the plea only means he was browbeaten into accepting the plea. It didn't make him guilty.

No, but it doesn't mean that he has anyone else to blame for his situation. He made a choice. He could have fought the charges. He didn't. And it wasn't a campus that did this to him, it was a police department and a DA.

No.....what they are trying to do is actually get police and law enforcement involved instead of the kangaroo campus courts that are destroying lives with false allegations and with extra legal practices....moron.

That's awesome. Yes, let's leave it to a criminal justice system that only convicts 3% of the people who commit rape.

Here's the problem for a Campus. If they keep a rapist on campus that the criminal justice system was unable to deal with, and he rapes someone else, they are as liable as shit for his conduct. They had a complaint, they did nothing about it.

So expect that campuses will continue to throw out the bad apples.

I thought we were innocent until proven guilty in this country

From a legal standpoint, yes.

From a civil standpoint, not so much. Really, the Campuses are between a rock and a hard place here. They don't throw the rapists off, they can be named as a co-conspirator held liable. THAT'S the problem.

The reality, though, is that we don't treat rape seriously enough. For every wrongly accused Frat Boy who acted the fool at a frat party, there's 100 guys who get off because the campus intimidates victims into silence.

Dumb shit....they aren't doing this now......which is why they are trying to actually get this back into the legal system and out of the campus bureaucracy system.......they are holding kangaroo courts on campus made up of administrators, not police and prosecutors and they are destroying lives without due process....moron...

How does betting thrown off a campus ruin your life? You just enroll at another campus.

I thought we were innocent until proven guilty in this country

From a legal standpoint, yes.

From a civil standpoint, not so much. Really, the Campuses are between a rock and a hard place here. They don't throw the rapists off, they can be named as a co-conspirator held liable. THAT'S the problem.

The reality, though, is that we don't treat rape seriously enough. For every wrongly accused Frat Boy who acted the fool at a frat party, there's 100 guys who get off because the campus intimidates victims into silence.

And you have evidence of that statistic, right?

Yep, everyone deserves to be pushed thorough a kangaroo court without due process, I mean, fuck the Constitution and actual evidence, RIGHT?

You freaking drama queens really crack me up.

Two questions on the above.......

1. have you heard of anyone going to prison on the charge of rape WITHOUT a court due-process?
Someone may be expelled from a school, but going to jail without due process???

2. We have certainly employed "due process" in investigating Hillary for Whitewater and Benghazi...YET, according to you nitwits, that is NOT enough......

So, sometimes you folks like the due process and sometimes it is YOU morons who want to lynch someone based on biases.

Hillary was given a trial?

When?

No.....what they are trying to do is actually get police and law enforcement involved instead of the kangaroo campus courts that are destroying lives with false allegations and with extra legal practices....moron.

That's awesome. Yes, let's leave it to a criminal justice system that only convicts 3% of the people who commit rape.

Here's the problem for a Campus. If they keep a rapist on campus that the criminal justice system was unable to deal with, and he rapes someone else, they are as liable as shit for his conduct. They had a complaint, they did nothing about it.

How do you determine who the bad apples are? Because some random person said so?

You mean except for the non bad apples who are accused and found guilty in extra legal, kangaroo courts......

They should sue these univerisities into extinction.....

[

And you have evidence of that statistic, right?

Yes, I posted it on another thread. Here's a chart of how many rapes are reported, how many accused faced trial, and how many were actually jailed.

tumblr_inline_mghozlcScp1qjzo2r.png

rape_stats_final-890x445.jpg

You mean except for the non bad apples who are accused and found guilty in extra legal, kangaroo courts......

They should sue these univerisities into extinction.....

yeah, good luck with that. I'm sure that when they get to court, and they hear the sob stories of the victims, that will go over really well.

Forum List

Back