did david gregory break the law on meet the press holding up that magazine

Journalists are blasting the police investigation of David Gregory and his use of a gun magazine on Sunday's "Meet the Press" as completely frivolous.

The Wall Street Journal called the investigation "entirely nonsensical" in an editorial on Thursday. The piece, entitled "Free David Gregory," read:

"Mr. Gregory interrogates Mr. LaPierre on the subject of whether to ban a magazine that it is illegal for Mr. Gregory to display but apparently easy enough to acquire in time for a Sunday morning broadcast. So here we have a possible indictment that would be entirely nonsensical of a journalist who was trying to embarrass an NRA official over an ammunition ban whose impact would be entirely symbolic."

It said that Gregory was guilty of nothing besides "overzealousness in pursuit of the conventional gun-control wisdom."

On Wednesday, Fox News' Greta Van Susteren derided the police investigation as a waste of resources. "Investigating NBC’s David Gregory? Really? Can we be any sillier?" she asked

She said Gregory was merely pulling "a stupid TV stunt," and had no intention of committing a crime. "We have so many serious issues of violence in this country... that it is bizarre to me that anyone would spend (waste) 5 minutes investigating NBC’s David Gregory for this," Van Susteren wrote.

David Gregory Investigation Makes No Sense: Wall Street Journal, Greta Van Susteren

So.. since the law abiding do not have intent on committing a crime (just like Mr. Gregory), they should not be limited or held to the standard for magazines either... good to know..

That's an opinion quote scoffing at the fauxrage over this specific incident in retrospect, which is not to say what you are concluding it means...

I read somewhere last night that NBC had asked permission and then two conflicting reports saying permission was denied and another saying it was indeed granted... Every time I try to hash out those quotes in different articles, I am reminded how news reporters aren't the best writers, but I digress. lol Now I suspect the DC police are covering their asses on who or if anyone has authority to give access or deny access, etc, but if Gregory was in fact denied permission, yet he chose to "pull this stunt" anyway, I bet he is laughing as he watches the rabid demands for a severe crack down on him... :lol:

CNN's Howard Kurtz also rejected some critics' claims that Gregory is hiding (he won't be hosting "Meet the Press" this Sunday because he is on vacation). "Gregory had no intent to commit a crime; he was committing journalism instead. Gun owners often say they want the government to leave them alone; why then are some clamoring for Gregory to be prosecuted?" Kurtz wrote.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...-van-susteren_n_2369357.html?utm_hp_ref=media

Journalists are blasting the police investigation of David Gregory and his use of a gun magazine on Sunday's "Meet the Press" as completely frivolous.

The Wall Street Journal called the investigation "entirely nonsensical" in an editorial on Thursday. The piece, entitled "Free David Gregory," read:

"Mr. Gregory interrogates Mr. LaPierre on the subject of whether to ban a magazine that it is illegal for Mr. Gregory to display but apparently easy enough to acquire in time for a Sunday morning broadcast. So here we have a possible indictment that would be entirely nonsensical of a journalist who was trying to embarrass an NRA official over an ammunition ban whose impact would be entirely symbolic."

It said that Gregory was guilty of nothing besides "overzealousness in pursuit of the conventional gun-control wisdom."

On Wednesday, Fox News' Greta Van Susteren derided the police investigation as a waste of resources. "Investigating NBC’s David Gregory? Really? Can we be any sillier?" she asked

She said Gregory was merely pulling "a stupid TV stunt," and had no intention of committing a crime. "We have so many serious issues of violence in this country... that it is bizarre to me that anyone would spend (waste) 5 minutes investigating NBC’s David Gregory for this," Van Susteren wrote.

David Gregory Investigation Makes No Sense: Wall Street Journal, Greta Van Susteren

So.. since the law abiding do not have intent on committing a crime (just like Mr. Gregory), they should not be limited or held to the standard for magazines either... good to know..

That's an opinion quote scoffing at the fauxrage over this specific incident in retrospect, which is not to say what you are concluding it means...

I read somewhere last night that NBC had asked permission and then two conflicting reports saying permission was denied and another saying it was indeed granted... Every time I try to hash out those quotes in different articles, I am reminded how news reporters aren't the best writers, but I digress. lol Now I suspect the DC police are covering their asses on who or if anyone has authority to give access or deny access, etc, but if Gregory was in fact denied permission, yet he chose to "pull this stunt" anyway, I bet he is laughing as he watches the rabid demands for a severe crack down on him... :lol:

CNN's Howard Kurtz also rejected some critics' claims that Gregory is hiding (he won't be hosting "Meet the Press" this Sunday because he is on vacation). "Gregory had no intent to commit a crime; he was committing journalism instead. Gun owners often say they want the government to leave them alone; why then are some clamoring for Gregory to be prosecuted?" Kurtz wrote.

Can you please post a link to that story?

Someone posted it in this thread last night...

A Washington Metropolitan Police Department spokesman tells POLITICO that it was illegal for NBC's David Gregory to show an empty gun magazine on television last Sunday, even if it was empty.

The spokesman also said he could not confirm a report by TMZ, the Hollywood gossip site, alleging that a D.C. police official told a member of the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives just the opposite, leading Gregory and his team at NBC's "Meet the Press" to believe he could legally show an empty magazine on television.

"I don't know where they got their information. I can't confirm what they said," Officer Paul Metcalf told POLITICO. "All I can say for now is that the matter is still under investigation."

Asked whether it would be legal to show a magazine without bullets, Metcalf replied: "It'd still be illegal."

UPDATE (7:35 p.m.): An ATF official tells POLITICO that the information the D.C. Police official provided to the ATF, which the ATF then provided to "Meet The Press," was inaccurate.​

D.C. police: Illegal for David Gregory to show empty gun magazine on TV - POLITICO.com

Someone posted it in this thread last night...

Well with 504 replies to search I thought you might have it handy. Thanks anyway.

A Washington Metropolitan Police Department spokesman tells POLITICO that it was illegal for NBC's David Gregory to show an empty gun magazine on television last Sunday, even if it was empty.

The spokesman also said he could not confirm a report by TMZ, the Hollywood gossip site, alleging that a D.C. police official told a member of the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives just the opposite, leading Gregory and his team at NBC's "Meet the Press" to believe he could legally show an empty magazine on television.

"I don't know where they got their information. I can't confirm what they said," Officer Paul Metcalf told POLITICO. "All I can say for now is that the matter is still under investigation."

Asked whether it would be legal to show a magazine without bullets, Metcalf replied: "It'd still be illegal."

UPDATE (7:35 p.m.): An ATF official tells POLITICO that the information the D.C. Police official provided to the ATF, which the ATF then provided to "Meet The Press," was inaccurate.​

D.C. police: Illegal for David Gregory to show empty gun magazine on TV - POLITICO.com

Is this the one Valerie was referring to?

She was referring to a TMZ - Hollywood gossip site - piece.

She was referring to a TMZ - Hollywood gossip site - piece.

Thanks

David Gregory Actually Did Have Permission To Use Magazine Clip As Prop, Report Says

The permission evidently came from a D.C. police official who informed the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

...Our sources say the D.C. police official informed ATF David could legally show the magazine, provided it was empty. An ATF official then called the staffer from “Meet the Press” to inform them they could use the magazine.
Oh well, there goes that. You still have Piers Morgan to deport. :lmao:

I called it.

I would bet money that:

• NBC contacted the DC PD and/or the local Federal Agency
  • NBC asked them to please supply a magazine for a segment on 'Meet The Press'
  • LE, as a public agency, was happy to help
  • Officer delivers, supervises, and controls possession of the magazine.

yes.gif

^ I saw this posted last night...

David Gregory Actually Did Have Permission To Use Magazine Clip As Prop, Report Says

I called it.

I would bet money that:

yes.gif

"TMZ cites a source who said a staffer from Meet the Press called ATF and inquired about the legality of the prop. Per the report:":cool:

Embedded in the same article is another story where his own network NBC contradicts him.

What's he laughing about? He could end up being arrested, and at the very least he has totally discredited the movement to have so-called "assault weapons" and high capacity clips outlawed. He just made it clear that the gun grabbers are all colossal hypocrites when it comes to gun laws. Furthermore, he brought to light the fact that he and the other anti-gun hypocrites send their kids to a school that has extensive armed security - the very security they want to deny to the children of middle class families.

Yeah.. because equality in treatment under the law is something you have no interest on.. he is in the media, and liberal, and since he had 'no intention to commit a crime', it is ok.. but another law abiding citizen should just abide by the law or face the consequences, eh??

Ignorance of the situation nor ignorance of the law does not excuse criminal activity... DC has this law, and if I lived in DC (thank God I do not live in Mordor on the Potomac) I would be expected to obey and I would have to also face the music and pay the piper for my mistake if I break the law... I only want equal treatment... I am not arguing whether there should be a ban on those mags or not in that locality

I called it.

I would bet money that:

yes.gif

My guess, after reading all the quotes and (mis)interpretations is that permission was granted with the stipulation that the mag be empty for the show, but then someone pounced on that idea and said no, the law states that it would still be illegal even if it was empty...without realizing that permission had been granted, the general question was answered correctly for the press, but with the assumption that no other special permission had been granted...

It's all much ado about nothing other than had someone like Hannity done it, he'd be perp walked already on national television. And I can't stand Hannity.

I called it.

yes.gif

My guess, after reading all the quotes and (mis)interpretations is that permission was granted with the stipulation that the mag be empty for the show, but then someone pounced on that idea and said no, the law states that it would still be illegal even if it was empty...without realizing that permission had been granted, the general question was answered correctly for the press, but with the assumption that no other special permission had been granted...

Thet's correct, your 'guess'...

You're obviously wrong because the police department doesn't have the authority to grant anyone a waiver to break any laws on the books.

What's he laughing about? He could end up being arrested, and at the very least he has totally discredited the movement to have so-called "assault weapons" and high capacity clips outlawed. He just made it clear that the gun grabbers are all colossal hypocrites when it comes to gun laws. Furthermore, he brought to light the fact that he and the other anti-gun hypocrites send their kids to a school that has extensive armed security - the very security they want to deny to the children of middle class families.

Where do you see David Gregory laughing? I don't think he's been heard from at all.

Oh wait, I know -- is it in the Constitution? :eusa_clap:

Yeah.. because equality in treatment under the law is something you have no interest on.. he is in the media, and liberal, and since he had 'no intention to commit a crime', it is ok.. but another law abiding citizen should just abide by the law or face the consequences, eh??

You do realise you're talking to Greta vanSusteren there, right? I just get confuserated when people start talking back to links.

Last edited:

Ignorance of the situation nor ignorance of the law does not excuse criminal activity... DC has this law, and if I lived in DC (thank God I do not live in Mordor on the Potomac) I would be expected to obey and I would have to also face the music and pay the piper for my mistake if I break the law... I only want equal treatment... I am not arguing whether there should be a ban on those mags or not in that locality

:lol: Is there an equal situation with a news agency who asked permission...?

Thet's correct, your 'guess'...

Yes, that's why I said it. This thread is chock FULL of them! :lol:

Forum List

Back