🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Did The Great Flood Really Happen?

Consider that most timelines suggest that "The Flood" may have been within the past 13-15,000 years
The Flood occurred about 2,000 BC
2000 BC was the time of Moses......Noah was roughly 1500 years before that.

There sure were lots of babies in baskets o the Nile.
Only one of note tho...

Sargon and Sinuhe were also caste adrift on the Nile and found by Pharaoh's daughter.

Did the Great Flood really happen? - Living Faith - Home & Family - News - Catholic Online

Many Christians today argue the flood story is only a myth. It is a cautionary tale, not intended for literal interpretation. What's important, they say, is that we accept the lessons in the story rather than the story itself. There is merit to this approach. The story has no value if we ignore the lessons it teaches.
I don't have any position on the theology of the Flood but, unless it was a supernatural event unlike any before or since, historically there was no global flood. There is no geological evidence for it and no natural forces that could cause such a global flood.

The burckle crater on the bottom of the indian ocean under 11,000 feet of water dated to the approximate time of gilgamesh is 25 times larger than meteor crater in arizona. The impact would have instantly vaporized billions of metric tons of water into the atmosphere causing a worldwide deluge that lasted for weeks, sweeping away every village,town or city built near rivers and streams and washes, worldwide, not to mention the immediate mega tsunamis that would have swept away all coastal civilizations.

According to scripture the next time the earth, including the atmosphere, will be destroyed is by fire, which would be the result of a similar impact on land or a larger one on the ocean again.

Look at you. You are good for something after all.

Did the Great Flood really happen? - Living Faith - Home & Family - News - Catholic Online

Many Christians today argue the flood story is only a myth. It is a cautionary tale, not intended for literal interpretation. What's important, they say, is that we accept the lessons in the story rather than the story itself. There is merit to this approach. The story has no value if we ignore the lessons it teaches.
Jesus said it did.

I'm a Christian. I believe Him over today's "christian" teachers whom Christ said would be judged HARSHLY for teaching false doctrine
Then most Christians are fucked, as they created the "allegory" nonsense, to keep up with reality.
Sort of like most atheists are fucked because they read allegorical texts literally?

There is no world wide flood footprint.
Don't waste your time with Nipples. He is going to repeat the same lies over and over, no matter how many times you debunk them or how much effort you put into debunking them.

Remember when you tried to say people didn't take these myths literally? Well...meet Nipples. And recant what you said.

How sad for him.. A story that illustrates a profound truth is not a lie ..
There it is. That's how information was passed down in ancient times. Through story telling. They made the accounts memorable so that they would be remembered. I have no doubt at all that there is some element of truth in the account of a great flood. Whatever it was was extraordinary such that it was noteworthy enough of a historical event that it was deemed worthy of being passed down. Anyone who reads the account literally or dismisses it all together is not thinking critically.

Don't waste your time with Nipples. He is going to repeat the same lies over and over, no matter how many times you debunk them or how much effort you put into debunking them.

Remember when you tried to say people didn't take these myths literally? Well...meet Nipples. And recant what you said.

There it is. That's how information was passed down in ancient times. Through story telling. They made the accounts memorable so that they would be remembered. I have no doubt at all that there is some element of truth in the account of a great flood. Whatever it was was extraordinary such that it was noteworthy enough of a historical event that it was deemed worthy of being passed down. Anyone who reads the account literally or dismisses it all together is not thinking critically.

Strictly speaking fiction isn't true so they have taken me to task on that, but IMO great storytelling does convey truth.

Strictly speaking fiction isn't true so they have taken me to task on that, but IMO great storytelling does convey truth.
An allegorical account of a flooding event that happened isn't exactly fiction.

And neither was the allegorical account of the great migration from Mesopotamia which was captured in the Tower of Babel. I believe the original meaning of these accounts was lost through time.

And neither was the allegorical account of the great migration from Mesopotamia which was captured in the Tower of Babel. I believe the original meaning of these accounts was lost through time.

The Tower of Babel account is about the collapse of a civilization and the loss of literacy. Funny thing ... there are ziggurats all over the ME.

The Tower of Babel account is about the collapse of a civilization and the loss of literacy. Funny thing ... there are ziggurats all over the ME.
Like I said, I believe the original meaning of these accounts were lost through time. If you look at the symbols of the Chinese language which was written 4500 years ago they captured the account of the tower of babel as a migration from Mesopotamia to China. They drew pictures to express words or ideas. Simple pictures were combined to make more complex thoughts. They used well known history and common everyday things to make a word so people could easily remember it. Which is very similar to what ancient man did with their oral accounts of history. They embellished the stories and added moral elements to make the accounts easier to remember and pass down.

So what happened to the people when the civilization collapsed? Did they migrate elsewhere? Because if so, then the account is about a collapse and a migration.

Like I said, I believe the original meaning of these accounts were lost through time. If you look at the symbols of the Chinese language which was written 4500 years ago they captured the account of the tower of babel as a migration from Mesopotamia to China. They drew pictures to express words or ideas. Simple pictures were combined to make more complex thoughts. They used well known history and common everyday things to make a word so people could easily remember it. Which is very similar to what ancient man did with their oral accounts of history. They embellished the stories and added moral elements to make the accounts easier to remember and pass down.

The time between Noah's flood and the Tower of Babel is less than 300 years... so that means the earth was repopulated very rapidly.

So what happened to the people when the civilization collapsed? Did they migrate elsewhere? Because if so, then the account is about a collapse and a migration.

Apparently so.. they do know that agricultural practices spread far and wide very rapidly after the Black Sea breech..so maybe the Tower of Babel is a dispersion like that ... spreading technology very quickly.

Mesopotamia would be considered an advanced civilization 5,000 years ago.

The time between Noah's flood and the Tower of Babel is less than 300 years... so that means the earth was repopulated very rapidly.
I don't believe we have good time lines to make that comparison and I'm not certain your timing is correct even if we did. I don't believe these accounts should be used for anything more than recognizing some extraordinary event happened and what ever moral or wisdom or concept they were trying to pass down.

I don't believe we have good time lines to make that comparison and I'm not certain your timing is correct even if we did. I don't believe these accounts should be used for anything more than recognizing some extraordinary event happened and what ever moral or wisdom or concept they were trying to pass down.

I agree that the time lines are poor. For starters one has to believe that everyone except Noah's family was killed in the flood and the earth was repopulated in less than 300 years.

I agree that the time lines are poor. For starters one has to believe that everyone except Noah's family was killed in the flood and the earth was repopulated in less than 300 years.
That's not an assumption I would make. I don't read these ancient accounts literally because I don't believe they were intended to be taken literally. They were intentionally embellished to make them more memorable and easier to remember and pass down. I would not read them literally anymore than I would dismiss them completely.

That's not an assumption I would make. I don't read these ancient accounts literally because I don't believe they were intended to be taken literally. They were intentionally embellished to make them more memorable and easier to remember and pass down. I would not read them literally anymore than I would dismiss them completely.

People do take the stories literally. Perhaps if they looked into the life of Peleg they wouldn't be so keen to do that.

People do take the stories literally. Perhaps if they looked into the life of Peleg they wouldn't be so keen to do that.
Sure and people do dismiss them off hand. I wouldn't do either. There really is no other document like it in antiquity. So it's certainly not something I would dismiss lightly. At least not without proper investigation and making every attempt to understand what was actually being passed down.

Forum List

Back