Do Christians have Free Speech ?

As far as I understand Phil wasn't on the set of Duck Dynasty at the time he presented his point of view.

Let's say an employer feels an employees profanity, sexual proclivities and general stupidity on say a Message Board reflects badly on the companies reputation, is it okay if that employer fires that employee?

Last edited:
You entered into a voluntary agreement to act the way your boss wants you to.

Since it was volunteer, it is not a persecution of your rights.
A&E knew what they were getting. All of the sudden they want to force them to change?

Nah, that doesn't fly. The show is popular as is and A&E wants to change it to fit their values but not the viewing public's values.

What's your point?

That's their right as the employer. And still has nothing to do with the 1st amendment.

And does a employer have the right to fire an employee for advocating for gay rights then?

I believe that the law says the 1st amendment protections do not apply in the private work place.

Our family businesses made it quite clear to prospective employees that politics and religion was left in the parking lot until they got back to parking lot after work.

So when the mosques in NYC caused a gigantic public outcry and ridicule 24/7 on fox News..............

that wasn't persecution?

SENSATIONALISM Y'all need to know what it means.

Going outside and living real life outside of what media tells you is a great step toward seeing "what it's really like."

Christians didn't bring down those buildings, and then choose to gloat by building a mosque a block or so away from their "conquest".

And neither did all Muslims.

Persecute the religion as a whole? What about their first amendment rights?

And btw - the case of the ground zero mosques is a REAL first amendment issue. The case of an employer firing an employee because of differing values is not.

Not all Muslims. Just the terrorist supporters that funded the project.

As far as I understand Phil wasn't on the set of Duck Dynasty at the time he presented his point of view.

Let's say an employer feels an employees profanity, sexual proclivities and general stupidity on say a Message Board reflects badly on the companies reputation, is it okay if that employer fires that employee?

Message boarding is anonymous.

I believe that the law says the 1st amendment protections do not apply in the private work place.

Our family businesses made it quite clear to prospective employees that politics and religion was left in the parking lot until they got back to parking lot after work.

Wasn't Phil giving an interview at GQ or something, outside the door, you might say?

People can be fired for what they do off the set, Charlie Sheen, Alec Baldwin.

I fail to see how Phil embarrassed A&E.

If A & E doesn't feel that being Gay is sinful, then he embarrassed them. As an employee, he represents the company and their values whether he likes it or not.

He was way out of the office, the parking lot, or even the district.

He was being interviewed elsewhere.

You avoided the question, do I have to restate it for you to get the point?

first off, the question was a bad one.

'cuz message boarding is anonymous.

second, ill take the liberty in assuming you meant posting on a message board under your real life name.

yes, the company has every right to fire you. have you ever heard of facebook and people that have been fired because of their activities?

yea

If A & E doesn't feel that being Gay is sinful, then he embarrassed them. As an employee, he represents the company and their values whether he likes it or not.

I think that's asking a bit much. As long as you don't break the law or commit immoral acts I think employees have the right to conduct themselves free of persecution.

Besides, he didn't say he hated gays. He said he personally felt it was unnatural. His mistake, according to some, was not selling out and supporting gay marriage. That is descrimination. You shouldn't have to support something you think is wrong.

second, ill take the liberty in assuming you meant posting on a message board under your real life name.

yes, the company has every right to fire you. have you ever heard of facebook and people that have been fired because of their activities?

yea

Aren't you glad you're protected by anonymity then..:lol:

I think that's asking a bit much. As long as you don't break the law or commit immoral acts I think employees have the right to conduct themselves free of persecution.

Besides, he didn't say he hated gays. He said he personally felt it was unnatural. His mistake, according to some, was not selling out and supporting gay marriage. That is descrimination. You shouldn't have to support something you think is wrong.

I read his remarks.

I think his suspension was stupid. He should not have gotten in trouble.

I think they did reserve the right to do so.

There's no 1st amendment issue, regardless.

yea

Aren't you glad you're protected by anonymity then..:lol:

I am not exactly anonymous. I put my personal self and music and over this board.

I don't have to worry about it.

I wonder, how many of the people here screaming about the Phil's freedom of speech were as concerned about the Dixie Chick's freedom of speech when they made fun of George W.?

I wonder, how many of the people here screaming about the Phil's freedom of speech were as concerned about the Dixie Chick's freedom of speech when they made fun of George W.?

Screaming?

I think it had something more to do with them not knowing what they were talking about.

I figure if you want to get political you can expect your fan-base to dump you.

I believe the fans turned on them but they were free to pursue their careers, the Democratic Party press loved them.

Last edited:

I read his remarks.

I think his suspension was stupid. He should not have gotten in trouble.

I think they did reserve the right to do so.

There's no 1st amendment issue, regardless.

Agreed.
Being a good God fearing Christian will not be tolerated. Right?

Last edited:
Why just yesterday, I saw the cops surrounding the Big Box church near us, leading parishioners off in handcuffs.
Christians are made to pay a price for exercising their first amendment rights, while other religions are not. I didn't say Christianity was criminalized through legislation, dumbass.

So when the mosques in NYC caused a gigantic public outcry and ridicule 24/7 on fox News..............

that wasn't persecution?

SENSATIONALISM Y'all need to know what it means.

Going outside and living real life outside of what media tells you is a great step toward seeing "what it's really like."
Muslims aren't persecuted in this country, they are coddled. And the mosque at Ground Zero issue was NOT a case of muslim persecution, it was a case of public outcry against terrorists dancing on the graves of their American victims.

Forum List

Back