Do non christians go to hell?

I'd be OK if after death non believers just stopped existing like before we were born and believers go to heaven. But I got christians telling me the bible says you burn for eternity.
In the Old Testament the afterlife is hardly ever mentioned. I take that to mean if you are not interested in knowing and obeying God in life you really do not need to worry about the afterlife. It kind of takes away the threat of believe or go to hell but my God is not like that anyway.
Neither was mine before I realized how silly the whole thing was. And even if your god is nice? Not every god is as nice as yours.

The OP is reaching out. He/She may not know it but He/She is reaching out to a loving Savior.

This may help those who are reaching out. You have an open invitation to a free inheritance. You have a free pass to heaven. If you don't accept the grace of forgiveness and accept the free pass to eternal life you choose the other. Why would you choose eternal damnation over eternal love?

Bible Questions Answered

Who is Jesus Christ? Many people will acknowledge Jesus Christ as a good man, a great teacher, or even a prophet of God. These things are definitely true of Jesus, but they do not fully define who He truly is. The Bible tells us that Jesus is God in the flesh, God in human form (see John 1:1, 14). God came to earth to teach us, heal us, correct us, forgive us—and die for us! Jesus Christ is God, the Creator, the sovereign Lord. Have you accepted this Jesus?

What is a Savior, and why do we need a Savior? The Bible tells us that we have all sinned; we have all committed evil acts (Romans 3:10-18). As a result of our sin, we deserve God's anger and judgment. The only just punishment for sins committed against an infinite and eternal God is an infinite punishment (Romans 6:23; Revelation 20:11-15). That is why we need a Savior!

Jesus Christ came to earth and died in our place. Jesus' death was an infinite payment for our sins (2 Corinthians 5:21). Jesus died to pay the penalty for our sins (Romans 5:8). Jesus paid the price so that we would not have to. Jesus' resurrection from the dead proved that His death was sufficient to pay the penalty for our sins. That is why Jesus is the one and only Savior (John 14:6; Acts 4:12)! Are you trusting in Jesus as your Savior?

Is Jesus your “personal” Savior? Many people view Christianity as attending church, performing rituals, and/or not committing certain sins. That is not Christianity. True Christianity is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Accepting Jesus as your personal Savior means placing your own personal faith and trust in Him. No one is saved by the faith of others. No one is forgiven by doing certain deeds. The only way to be saved is to personally accept Jesus as your Savior, trusting in His death as the payment for your sins and His resurrection as your guarantee of eternal life (John 3:16). Is Jesus personally your Savior?

If you want to accept Jesus Christ as your personal Savior, say the following words to God. Remember, saying this prayer or any other prayer will not save you. Only believing in Jesus Christ and His finished work on the cross for you can save you from sin. This prayer is simply a way to express to God your faith in Him and thank Him for providing for your salvation.

“God, I know that I have sinned against You and deserve punishment. But I believe Jesus Christ took the punishment I deserve so that through faith in Him I could be forgiven. I receive Your offer of forgiveness and place my trust in You for salvation. I accept Jesus as my personal Savior! Thank You for Your wonderful grace and forgiveness—the gift of eternal life! Amen!”

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/personal-Savior.html#ixzz3Zn8YaJqx

Last edited:
I'd be OK if after death non believers just stopped existing like before we were born and believers go to heaven. But I got christians telling me the bible says you burn for eternity.
In the Old Testament the afterlife is hardly ever mentioned. I take that to mean if you are not interested in knowing and obeying God in life you really do not need to worry about the afterlife. It kind of takes away the threat of believe or go to hell but my God is not like that anyway.
Hardly? So it was mentioned? What'd it say about it.

That's like telling me the roof hardly leaks. Sort of a big thing to gloss over.

The OP is reaching out. He/She may not know it but He/She is reaching out to a loving Savior.

This may help those who are reaching out. You have an open invitation to a free inheritance. You have a free pass to heaven. If you don't accept the grace of forgiveness and accept the free pass to eternal life you choose the other. Why would you choose eternal damnation over eternal love?

Bible Questions Answered

Who is Jesus Christ? Many people will acknowledge Jesus Christ as a good man, a great teacher, or even a prophet of God. These things are definitely true of Jesus, but they do not fully define who He truly is. The Bible tells us that Jesus is God in the flesh, God in human form (see John 1:1, 14). God came to earth to teach us, heal us, correct us, forgive us—and die for us! Jesus Christ is God, the Creator, the sovereign Lord. Have you accepted this Jesus?

What is a Savior, and why do we need a Savior? The Bible tells us that we have all sinned; we have all committed evil acts (Romans 3:10-18). As a result of our sin, we deserve God's anger and judgment. The only just punishment for sins committed against an infinite and eternal God is an infinite punishment (Romans 6:23; Revelation 20:11-15). That is why we need a Savior!

Jesus Christ came to earth and died in our place. Jesus' death was an infinite payment for our sins (2 Corinthians 5:21). Jesus died to pay the penalty for our sins (Romans 5:8). Jesus paid the price so that we would not have to. Jesus' resurrection from the dead proved that His death was sufficient to pay the penalty for our sins. That is why Jesus is the one and only Savior (John 14:6; Acts 4:12)! Are you trusting in Jesus as your Savior?

Is Jesus your “personal” Savior? Many people view Christianity as attending church, performing rituals, and/or not committing certain sins. That is not Christianity. True Christianity is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Accepting Jesus as your personal Savior means placing your own personal faith and trust in Him. No one is saved by the faith of others. No one is forgiven by doing certain deeds. The only way to be saved is to personally accept Jesus as your Savior, trusting in His death as the payment for your sins and His resurrection as your guarantee of eternal life (John 3:16). Is Jesus personally your Savior?

If you want to accept Jesus Christ as your personal Savior, say the following words to God. Remember, saying this prayer or any other prayer will not save you. Only believing in Jesus Christ and His finished work on the cross for you can save you from sin. This prayer is simply a way to express to God your faith in Him and thank Him for providing for your salvation. “God, I know that I have sinned against You and deserve punishment. But I believe Jesus Christ took the punishment I deserve so that through faith in Him I could be forgiven. I receive Your offer of forgiveness and place my trust in You for salvation. I accept Jesus as my personal Savior! Thank You for Your wonderful grace and forgiveness—the gift of eternal life! Amen!”

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/personal-Savior.html#ixzz3Zn8YaJqx
See every fake christian? Eternal damnation. What is not clear about that? How can you disagree?

How can you say you have wishful thinking when whenever anyone tries to open your mind to God you turn into just another nasty little atheist on the religious forum?
I understand why you believe. Wishful thinking. I'd love to believe. Ignorance is bliss. I'm just greatful I got 44 good years and counting. The belief is bad for people humans society man. Once served a purpose but one purpose was to control and manipulate us. Anyways that's a different discussion. You dont believe the bible says non christians go to hell yes or no.
I believe in God because he told me to, the burning bush kind of thing. No, I am not kidding. It was not a literal burning bush but it was very physical.
Do non christians go to hell?
Don't know. Heck, I don't even know if I'm going to hell or not. I can tell you who God is though.
Isn't he that tall, Caucasian looking guy - a 1970's vintage hippie in sandals?
No.

Well, I've always thought that it just meant all of us, Christians, Jews, Gentiles/Pagans etc etc etc would be Judged by Jesus Christ, on judgement day.... Christians in their manner, Jews will be judged by the Law, Pagans by other means important etc etc etc....

Because there are many spots in the Bible that imply Jews will be judged by the law....etc etc

So, ''no one comes to the Father, but through me'' only means Christ is the Judge on how you will be Judged, and the Judge of all sin, of all mankind...we all stand before Him in judgement of our sins, atheists, believers, Jews, Buddhists....

Remember, when Christ Judged the nations in the Sheep and the Goats parable, and he separated them to his right and left....

Those on the right and those on the Left, BOTH called him Lord...so they BOTH believed Jesus Christ was Lord...yet only half of them, got the ''reward'' of Heaven... hmmmm, how could that be?

Any way, in this judgement by Christ...there was no questioning of ''have you accepted me, Christ, as Lord and Savior'' discussion, there was however, discussion on how these people behaved while they were alive....again, very perplexing if you are a Christian that believes,
'' once saved, always saved' isn't it?

Matthew 25:31-46New International Version (NIV)
The Sheep and the Goats
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

I'd be OK if after death non beliegets a vers just stopped existing like before we were born and believers go to heaven. But I got christians telling me the bible says you burn for eternity.
Hardly? So it was mentioned? What'd it say about it.

That's like telling me the roof hardly leaks. Sort of a big thing to gloss over.
I kind of glossed over the prophets since they are mostly doom and gloom. The one mention that most sticks in my mind is where King Saul seeks Samuel's advice. Since Samuel it's dead Saul gets a seer to 'awake' Samuel. That's pretty much as far as I go with my thinking about it. It's all about what one does in this life. Believing in God is one of the things one should do. Like I said, I don't know the rules for who gets what afterwards.

Just avoid Hell altogether. You've got two choices. Why would any sane person reject eternal paradise over eternal torment?

Question: "How can I not go to hell?"

Answer:
Not going to hell is easier than you think. Some people believe they have to obey the Ten Commandments for their entire lives to not go to hell. Some people believe they must observe certain rites and rituals in order to not go to hell. Some people believe there is no way we can know for sure whether or not we will go to hell. None of these views are correct. The Bible is very clear on how a person can avoid going to hell after death.

The Bible describes hell as a terrifying and horrible place. Hell is described as “eternal fire” (Matthew 25:41), “unquenchable fire” (Matthew 3:12), “shame and everlasting contempt” (Daniel 12:2), a place where “the fire is not quenched” (Mark 9:44-49), and “everlasting destruction” (2 Thessalonians 1:9). Revelation 20:10 describes hell as a “lake of burning sulfur” where the wicked are “tormented day and night forever and ever.” Obviously, hell is a place we should avoid.

Why does hell even exist, and why does God send some people there? The Bible tells us that God “prepared” hell for the devil and the fallen angels after they rebelled against Him (Matthew 25:41). Those who refuse God’s offer of forgiveness will suffer the same eternal destiny of the devil and the fallen angels. Why is hell necessary? All sin is ultimately against God (Psalm 51:4), and since God is an infinite and eternal being, only an infinite and eternal penalty is sufficient. Hell is the place where God’s holy and righteous demands of justice are carried out. Hell is where God condemns sin and all those who reject Him. The Bible makes it clear that we have all sinned (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:10-23), so, as a result, we all deserve to go to hell.

So, how can we not go to hell? Since only an infinite and eternal penalty is sufficient, an infinite and eternal price must be paid. God became a human being in the Person of Jesus Christ (John 1:1, 14). In Jesus Christ, God lived among us, taught us, and healed us—but those things were not His ultimate mission. God became a human being so that He could die for us. Jesus, God in human form, died on the cross. As God, His death was infinite and eternal in value, paying the full price for sin (1 John 2:2). God invites us to receive Jesus Christ as Savior, accepting His death as the full and just payment for our sins. God promises that anyone who believes in Jesus (John 3:16), trusting Him alone as the Savior (John 14:6), will be saved, i.e., not go to hell.

God does not want anyone to go to hell (2 Peter 3:9). That is why God made the ultimate, perfect, and sufficient sacrifice on our behalf. If you want to not go to hell, receive Jesus as your Savior. It is as simple as that. Tell God that you recognize that you are a sinner and that you deserve to go to hell. Declare to God that you are trusting in Jesus Christ as your Savior. Thank God for providing for your salvation and deliverance from hell. Simple faith, trusting in Jesus Christ as the Savior, is how you can avoid going to hell!

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/not-go-to-hell.html#ixzz3ZnFY9u4v

I'm sick of some christians saying yes and some no. What's the truth? Where does it say in the bible?

Jesus said only through me can you enter heaven but christianity hadn't started yet. And he didn't say non believers would burn in hell. Did he? Christians please discuss and let me know what you decide.

I have heard catholic priests and even the pope back peddle on this but I think the truth is christians believe non christians go to hell. People who dont believe that shouldnt call themselves christians.
Right Wing US Christians have made this country Hell trying to ruin it.

I'm sick of some christians saying yes and some no. What's the truth? Where does it say in the bible?

Jesus said only through me can you enter heaven but christianity hadn't started yet. And he didn't say non believers would burn in hell. Did he? Christians please discuss and let me know what you decide.

I have heard catholic priests and even the pope back peddle on this but I think the truth is christians believe non christians go to hell. People who dont believe that shouldnt call themselves christians.

I read a story written by a Jewish man who had a near death experience. His body was "dead" for a while but he came back. His experience was that Jesus greeted him and held him and loved him with that all encompassing love..........and then told him to go back. He wasn't done living yet. The man kept his Jewish faith but became a Messianic Jew because he met Jesus.

I think that our life and death is much less fearsome .........or maybe much more fearsome...........than any of us realize. Religion here on earth is meant to control us. And many people need that control because they can't feel or know what is beyond life, so they have no personal control regarding anything. Religion serves its purpose, but it is purely a control mechanism. A club of rules. Nothing wrong with that.

So after death, I believe we still have a choice to reject or embrace Jesus. If Jesus is the gate (and I have no reason to believe he's not) then he will be at the gate when we die. I'm not saying that people with evil intent will end up the same place as people who have always been good. I don't know the answer to that. But I believe Jesus will greet everyone and greet them with more love and acceptance than they ever felt in their life.

Well, I've always thought that it just meant all of us, Christians, Jews, Gentiles/Pagans etc etc etc would be Judged by Jesus Christ, on judgement day.... Christians in their manner, Jews will be judged by the Law, Pagans by other means important etc etc etc....

Because there are many spots in the Bible that imply Jews will be judged by the law....etc etc

So, ''no one comes to the Father, but through me'' only means Christ is the Judge on how you will be Judged, and the Judge of all sin, of all mankind...we all stand before Him in judgement of our sins, atheists, believers, Jews, Buddhists....

Remember, when Christ Judged the nations in the Sheep and the Goats parable, and he separated them to his right and left....

Those on the right and those on the Left, BOTH called him Lord...so they BOTH believed Jesus Christ was Lord...yet only half of them, got the ''reward'' of Heaven... hmmmm, how could that be?

Any way, in this judgement by Christ...there was no questioning of ''have you accepted me, Christ, as Lord and Savior'' discussion, there was however, discussion on how these people behaved while they were alive....again, very perplexing if you are a Christian that believes,

The Sheep and the Goats
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Jesus isn't the Judge.
God is the Judge.
Jesus is our advocate.........if we believe in Jesus, he is our "lawyer" and stands before God the Judge and says that our penalty has been paid. Jesus paid that penalty.

The 'pains of hell' is mentioned a few times in the bible, and I heard that this means that you will be separated from God once you die... and this is what is painful about Hell, and although you may think, ''Ah heck, I can deal with that...'', but apparently, once dead and you realize and learn and know all the things you did not know while on Earth, and what you are missing by not being allowed in to the Eternal life realm/dimension with God...... it is this separation that will be the worst pain of all, for all of eternity.

I don't know if I am right or wrong on this and I have truly never concerned myself with these pains of hell... fire and brimstone stuff...it's just never been in the picture of how I see God...I see a merciful, loving, understanding, and forgiving God...I don't think much about the pains of Hell.... and maybe I should, I don't know? I just don't....

I have never ever thought, nor was I ever taught in the religious course I did take as a child, that ALL non believers in Christ go to Hell....

I was reared that Christ would judge all Nations and the people within, not just Christians...

The Sheep and the Goats

Jesus isn't the Judge.
God is the Judge.
Jesus is our advocate.........if we believe in Jesus, he is our "lawyer" and stands before God the Judge and says that our penalty has been paid. Jesus paid that penalty.
Jesus is God, manifested in the Son.

I was told that when you want to become a Christian, you'd face turmoil and a pushback from within. I found that to be true.

If you rebels out there really want to rebel, try coming over to the ultimate Rebel. You'll see just how far behind enemy lines you are. When you first try, you'll be immediately torn to the point it will surprise you that something that powerful against coming over could have been in you--but carry on. That 'Something' isn't on your side. When the light comes on, you'll be amazed at the peace that will overcome you.

Want to fight the ultimate bad guys? Come on over. Your Creator who loves you is rooting for you. You have His promise to be on the winning side:

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you."

---------------

I was told that when you want to become a Christian, you'd face turmoil and a pushback from within. I found that to be true.

If you rebels out there really want to rebel, try coming over to the ultimate Rebel. You'll see just how far behind enemy lines you are. When you first try, you'll be immediately torn to the point it will surprise you that something that powerful against coming over could have been in you--but carry on. That 'Something' isn't on your side. When the light comes on, you'll be amazed at the peace that will overcome you.

Want to fight the ultimate bad guys? Come on over. Your Creator who loves you is rooting for you. You have His promise to be on the winning side:

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you."

---------------

This is exactly it.
A peace which surpasses all understanding.

The 'pains of hell' is mentioned a few times in the bible, and I heard that this means that you will be separated from God once you die... and this is what is painful about Hell, and although you may think, ''Ah heck, I can deal with that...'', but apparently, once dead and you realize and learn and know all the things you did not know while on Earth, and what you are missing by not being allowed in to the Eternal life realm/dimension with God...... it is this separation that will be the worst pain of all, for all of eternity.

I don't know if I am right or wrong on this and I have truly never concerned myself with these pains of hell... fire and brimstone stuff...it's just never been in the picture of how I see God...I see a merciful, loving, understanding, and forgiving God...I don't think much about the pains of Hell.... and maybe I should, I don't know? I just don't....

I have never ever thought, nor was I ever taught in the religious course I did take as a child, that ALL non believers in Christ go to Hell....

I was reared that Christ would judge all Nations and the people within, not just Christians...
I'm kind of the odd one out here on the Jesus thing but I like this description pretty well. In the book of Job somewhere it says something like you do not want to end up where light is as dark and dark is as light.

To WilliePete's post besides the reference to the Psalm's verse, which does not address hell, the only reference he has to the Old Testament is Daniel 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. This does not exactly describe the kind of hell the rest of the referenced verses do, the verses of the New Testament. If one awakens to shame presumably there is someone there to shame them. Are the shamer and the shamed in the same place? Same with contempt. Who is the observer? And one can be shamed and held in contempt without being lit on fire.

If you're not a Christian why do you care? As a Christian, I'd like to see you in Heaven, if possible.
Do you believe non christians go to hell or dont go to heaven? Very simple question. If you really believe be proud. I've had christians say yes and christians say those christians are not real christians and those christians say they are wrong. Tell those christians they are wrong. Dont talk to me.
So are you asking Christians to argue this on this thread for you and you don't have an opinion or do you have an opinion? There are literally thousands of things Christians don't agree on. Why are you focused on this particular issue?
I'm sick of some christians say its very clear in the bible and christians who disagree stay silent. So I'll take that as you dont believe that? Or you do? I'll assume you dont or you'd have said it.

From now on anyone who doesnt fucking answer the question doesnt believe it and where are the nuts that do? Hello?

It's not that we stay silent, Sealy. It's that we have already been over this so many times we are sick of saying it again. I can engage in a very long, technical discussion about the words gehenna, Sheol, Tartarus, and Hades and explain what they all meant to society in their day. I can explain about how the concept of hell and the devil developed over time from not existing at all in Torah to being the evil opponent of God. We can discuss Revelation, the Lake of Fire...all that shit. The problem is....I, as well as many others, have already explained it several times and not a single person has listened. So why bother getting into the same argument we have already had before, and going through it all over again just so everyone will ignore it again?

If people want to live in fear of hell? Fine...knock yourself out. Nothing I can do about it. But to answer your question...no...non-Christians do not go to hell. You're just fine. .

If you're not a Christian why do you care? As a Christian, I'd like to see you in Heaven, if possible.
Do you believe non christians go to hell or dont go to heaven? Very simple question. If you really believe be proud. I've had christians say yes and christians say those christians are not real christians and those christians say they are wrong. Tell those christians they are wrong. Dont talk to me.
So are you asking Christians to argue this on this thread for you and you don't have an opinion or do you have an opinion? There are literally thousands of things Christians don't agree on. Why are you focused on this particular issue?
I'm sick of some christians say its very clear in the bible and christians who disagree stay silent. So I'll take that as you dont believe that? Or you do? I'll assume you dont or you'd have said it.

From now on anyone who doesnt fucking answer the question doesnt believe it and where are the nuts that do? Hello?

You asked us not to talk to you. Make up your mind or continue to rant. You want me to be happy, yet attack? You are just a mess of contradictions. A fine example of an atheist.

Some days I'm convinced that this is really Hell and Satan lies to us and says Hell is worse

Forum List

Back