Do we, as Christians, need to follow the 10 commandments?

Does the Lord want Christians to follow the 10 commandments?

• Total voters

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
Never thought I'd be asking this question, but it seems that some of us seem to think that at least one has been revoked and we no longer need to follow these laws. So what say ye? Does the Lord want us to follow the 10 commandments?

Kinda hard to do. most, yeah. But not coveting stuff? How the hell can someone not want the best and if the neighbor has the best...how does one shut that longing off?

They've been variously worded over the centuries, but here's one version...

You shall have no other gods before Me.
You shall not make idols.
You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Honor your father and your mother.
You shall not murder.
You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not steal.
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
You shall not covet.

Knock out the first four and you've got a decent recipe for some common sense values.

Even though those are laws given to the nation of Israel, I dont see anything in the Ten Commandments which would be in conflict with what we are taught for this dispensation of grace, other than observing the Sabbath. Most people who attempt to observe the Sabbath dont even observe it correctly anyway.

Even though those are laws given to the nation of Israel, I dont see anything in the Ten Commandments which would be in conflict with what we are taught for this dispensation of grace, other than observing the Sabbath. Most people who attempt to observe the Sabbath dont even observe it correctly anyway.

When Jesus said the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath he was implying that the strict rules of the Sabbath were not the point. Taking a day of rest and reflection were.

When Jesus said the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath he was implying that the strict rules of the Sabbath were not the point. Taking a day of rest and reflection were.
Nevertheless, those were laws given to the Jews/Israel.

Kinda hard to do. most, yeah. But not coveting stuff? How the hell can someone not want the best and if the neighbor has the best...how does one shut that longing off?
I think what is meant, is that you are not suppose to covet what doesnt belong to you. Like if your neighbor has a wife and you say to yourself "I wish I had a wife", I dont believe that is wrong. I believe it becomes wrong when you say "I wish I had my neighbors wife".

So in your theology Christ has no editorial privileges? He seems to be trying to communicate something about this commandment.
What do you think he meant?
Or doesn't it matter?

Yes, that is where the bar that has been set...nobody is perfect, and some will fall shorter than others.

But there are some Christians claiming the bar isn't there. I understand not being perfect, it's the denying there is something to strive to follow that I am not wrapping my head around. Especially with Bible believers.

So now the Bible is not part of modern Christianity?
Not everything written in the Bible is written to everyone at all times. People couldnt obey the whole Bible all at once even if they tried, because there are conflicting commands. Thats why I believe interpreting the Bible dispensationally is a must.

I think what is meant, is that you are not suppose to covet what doesnt belong to you. Like if your neighbor has a wife and you say to yourself "I wish I had a wife", I dont believe that is wrong. I believe it becomes wrong when you say "I wish I had my neighbors wife".

Probably a good idea to water that one down, too.
It's too hard the way it is written.

Yes, that is where the bar that has been set...nobody is perfect, and some will fall shorter than others.

But there are some Christians claiming the bar isn't there. I understand not being perfect, it's the denying there is something to strive to follow that I am not wrapping my head around. Especially with Bible believers.

I'm not aware of these "Christians"...they sound spiritually lazy.

We could do with less Bible and more belt. I sure did get my ass smacked a time or two.

A huge leather-bound manuscript filled with cryptic prose and convoluted allegory got nothing on a stern lecture from a parenting body.

So in your theology Christ has no editorial privileges? He seems to be trying to communicate something about this commandment.
What do you think he meant?
Or doesn't it matter?
I just dont believe the Sabbath concerns the gentiles, especially in the dispensation of grace.

Taking at least a day of rest and reflection is a great idea though no matter who you are.

By realizing Christ is calling you away from the material striving of life and that where you place your treasure is where your true heart will follow.
Well, that's what he said, anyway.

If your neighbor is eating grilled chicken I think it's ok to go out and get some chicken.

I like this definition: Coveting is a desire, a motivation so strong that the one who covets something will have it if there is any way possible to do so, even if it involves evil. Coveting is a consuming desire, which is highly competitive. It is an evil attitude, which will likely lead to an evil act. Coveting is a kind of conspiracy in one’s soul to commit evil.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back