Do We Have Any Former Republicans Here On USMB?

Are You A Former Republican?

• I'm a former Republican, currently an Independent

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • I'm a former Republican, currently a Democrat

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I'm still a Republican, but I'm thinking about leaving the party

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I'm STILL a Republican and I'm NEVER leaving the party

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • I'm not a Republican, and I don't understand what the HELL those people are thinking

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters
If so, what's your story?

Is it anything like this guy who was forced to leave the party he's been a part of since 1979 due to the fact that it's gone completely off the deep end?

What's your story?

Former Democrat who did a 180 and became a Republican, now former Republican who knows both parties are full of shit.

I wouldn't disagree with you but the only way to push the pendulum the other way is to vote Democratic on November 6.
The 'Pubes have become the party of bloated, old, fat, bigoted, misogynistic white men.

“The 'Pubes have become the party of bloated, old, fat, bigoted, misogynistic white men.”
Yeah, don’t you dare support those terrible white people that built this nation into the place you want to be...that wouldn’t make any sense.
Support that party of wetbacks, pole puffers, men in dresses, bottom feeders, beggars and wackos.

Is it anything like this guy who was forced to leave the party he's been a part of since 1979 due to the fact that it's gone completely off the deep end?

What's your story?

Former Democrat who did a 180 and became a Republican, now former Republican who knows both parties are full of shit.

I wouldn't disagree with you but the only way to push the pendulum the other way is to vote Democratic on November 6.
The 'Pubes have become the party of bloated, old, fat, bigoted, misogynistic white men.

“The 'Pubes have become the party of bloated, old, fat, bigoted, misogynistic white men.”
Yeah, don’t you dare support those terrible white people that built this nation into the place you want to be...that wouldn’t make any sense.
Support that party of wetbacks, pole puffers, men in dresses, bottom feeders, beggars and wackos.

Thanks for pointing out how Republicans view anyone who is not white
It is like watching a Trump rally where they are forced to import black people and place them behind Trump

What's your story?

Plenty of us. To answer your question, no.

The GOP has gone to far left for Me. Trump, while having some good policy, is actually more liberal than Conservative.

The whole spectrum has shifted so far left, a moderate or slightly right-leaning GOP'er would have been considered liberal just 30 years ago.

The other reason I left the GOP is that they lack any kind of spine and have absolutely no sack at all.

If you want My support, you have to have a belief or principle and a willingness to go to the mattresses to ensure it is enacted.

I was a Republican for many years but twenty five years ago I left that party and became and Independent.

Have never regretted that move one bit.

You forgot to include the most important democrat social demographic "Im an illegal alien but I plan to circumvent the process and vote for the party that advocates open borders".
This is the type of post that would come from a far rightwing partisan hack not tied to anything resembling the facts.

Not partisan at all.
Republicans believe it's OK to separate children from their parents at the border and put them in cages.
Christians would not abide by that for single fucking moment.
Basically.

Being a Christian is not a name or a title, it's a way of life.
Republicans are Republicans first, and whatever else after.
They treat Christianity as a title, and that's it.
Thank God that after Trump they no longer can credibly use the "Christian" moniker to any type of advantage.

Last edited:
I worked for a small aero space electronics company back in the '80s where being a republican meant you were part of the in crowd. So I signed up as a republican.

Funny thing though, it was an 8A company meaning it got help from the US government.

Fuckin' hypocrites.

As a former Republican, I rallied around the Republican President after 9-11

I was willing to support anything he needed.....Patriot Act, Homeland Security, restrictions of rights
When Bush wanted to invade Afghanistan, I backed him
He chased Al Qaeda across Afganistan......then quit

Bush started talking about the threat of Saddam, WMDs, Iraq being part of 9-11 and I started saying.......WTF???

Then he invaded Iraq, we found out he lied about WMDs
Then he engaged in torture, opened GITMO, denied basic human rights
Republicans applauded him

I remembered why I was no longer Republican
I was still in high school when Clinton went on TV to deny that he ever. had. sexual relations. with. that. woman. Monica Lewinksi. I was thinking at the time "why is this even a deal!?!?"

Then I remember the drama (read lies and treachery) that Bush II & Co used to get in Office the first time, then 9/11 and how inept, inappropriate and downright despicable his response was to it. I remember all the nonsensical color codes they spewed on the news, putting fear in precious American's hearts (read white people #SorryNotSorry), then the lies about WMDs, then the lies about Saddam Hussein, the the drama (read lies and treachery) that Bush II & Co used to get in Office the second time, it was just one corrupt mess after another corrupt mess during that entire regime. Then the economy COLLAPSED due to Bush and the Republicans economic policies to top it off.

It was during that time I became politically aware. The Republicans haven't changed one bit, they're enacting the exact same economic policies as Bush II did, except this time they're on steroids.

I cannot, in good conscious, ever vote or be affiliated with that party as it currently stands. It's not that I'm a Democrat by choice, but by default.

Yep.
When Bush stood up and admitted Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11 I was done with the Republicans and their everlasting need for wars.
Their sheer willingness to send young people overseas to be killed and mangled for their bottom line profit.
Dick Cheney should be hung from the neck until dead.
Bush did a great job of selling the Iraq war, no doubt.
But many saw very quickly that it was just his vanity. "They tried to kill my daddy!"
Actually, he didn't. To many of us, it rather was obvious he (and the Republicans) were lying from the start.
It's just that too many Americans were too willing to believe him.

I agree w/much of the rest of what you stated though.

Last edited:
Yep.
When Bush stood up and admitted Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11 I was done with the Republicans and their everlasting need for wars.
Their sheer willingness to send young people overseas to be killed and mangled for their bottom line profit.
Dick Cheney should be hung from the neck until dead.
Bush did a great job of selling the Iraq war, no doubt.
But many saw very quickly that it was just his vanity. "They tried to kill my daddy!"
Actually, he didn't. To many of us, it rather was obvious he (and the Republicans) were lying from the start.
It's just that too many Americans were too willing to believe him.

I agree w/much of the rest of what you stated though.

I think Bush’s rationale for invading Afghanistan and Iraq was he wanted to establish a legacy. He wanted to be the one who solved the problems with the Islamic world once and for all.
He thought if he forced Democracy on them that the rest of the Muslim world would quickly fall in place

He took....”They will treat us as liberators” literally

What's your story?

I've been a registered Independent ever since I originally registered to vote in 1978.

Maybe I'm old school but I was raised to believe that both parties have good and bad ideas. However that when both get together to solve problems the best ideas usually rise to the top and the solutions are found.

Things worked like that for a very long time.

Things don't work that way anymore.

Today's republican party has sent me and many more Independents running in utter horror from the Republican Party.

What's your story?

I've been a registered Independent ever since I originally registered to vote in 1978.

Maybe I'm old school but I was raised to believe that both parties have good and bad ideas. However that when both get together to solve problems the best ideas usually rise to the top and the solutions are found.

Today's republican party has sent me and many more Independents running in utter horror from the Republican Party.

Republicans have driven the moderates out of their party
They no longer tolerate their RINOs

Always have been a Conservative Republican and would still be voting that way since the left are stark raving lunatics. Bush really disenchanted me but the other option was even worse.
Thank God Trump came along,he's the closest thing to a third party in my lifetime.

Goddamn, third party??? LOLOLOLOLOL!
There are plenty of him running around in places like Oklahoma, Georgia and Kentucky, honey.
Except they aren't wearing Gucci suits and they don't dye their hair platinum blonde and buy hair spray by the case.
But they DO agree with Donald that women are worthless vessels to be exploited.

("third party"...bahahahahahahaha)

So state the cases where Trump claimed women were useless.
You cant stand the fact that Trump has done amazing things with our economy and jobless rates.
You'd rather see America fail than to see Trump succeed.

Guess you missed that Hollywood Access tape.
If I thought you were nothing more than a (tiny) dick in a Speedo, and called you a pig or a dog, what would your impression be?
What if I said you were "bleeding from your eyes and your...whatever" as he said of Megyn Kelly?
Sorry if you're so fucking stupid you need more information than that.

Trump did not start out with a full blown recession when he took office. He started out at the top of an 8-year recovery with the Dow at 20,000. Not 7900 as Obama did.
And pay attention to something besides Fox and his rallies.
He's fucking things up grandly.

The U.S.-China Trade Battle Spawns a New Era of Tariff Dodges

U.S.-China Tensions Break Out in Beijing

And he's a total fucking fraud, too. He was handed everything, not a self-made man.

Trump Engaged in Suspect Tax Schemes as He Reaped Riches From His Father

The bush boy put tariffs on steel in 2002. A handful of years later, the auto companies were nearly destroyed and we had to bail their butts out again.

In 2004 my ex and I bought a house in a higher price bracket than middle income. It was during the bush boy's real estate boom and all the deregulation for the financial sector. Houses didn't stay on the market long at that time. With one exception. Higher priced houses. The house we bought in 2004 had been on the market for a year before we came along to look at it. The owner had decreased the asking price even before we looked at it. Then she lowered it more for us after the inspection. Meanwhile our house in the middle income range sold in a matter of weeks. There was a bidding war on that house and we ended up getting much more than our asking price. Which was very normal at that time.

At that time I was watching all the new deregulation, tax cuts and tariffs the bush boy and republicans were forcing on our nation.

My degree and education is in Accounting/Finance. While in college I had to learn the economic history of our nation.

I was seeing a repeat of what happened in the 1920s. I warned everyone I could at the time. However not many people listened to me. Just those who I knew personally and knew I knew what I was talking about.

It's starting all over again. The heavy deregulation of the lending industry and most business. The big tax cuts. The tariffs.

I'm now trying to sell that very same house. I put it on the market in May. My realtor, lawyer and just about everyone expected it to sell within days. Except me. I tried to tell them that it took a year for it to sell in the bush boy boom but I was told that wasn't going to happen.

It's now October. The house has not sold and neither have the houses in that whole area. There's a lot of houses for sale there and have been on the market for a long time. While the houses in middle income are still selling.

Ford has announced that the trump trade war and tariffs are costing them 1 billion dollars. They've already had to lay off people. Their costs to produce a car has gone up because of those tariffs.

It took the bush boy longer to collapse the economy because he was handed such a fantastic economy with a balanced budge and surplus.

Obama handed trump a very good economy with a budget deficit that had been slashed by around 1 trillion dollars from the bush boy's historic high of 1.4 trillion. trump has reversed the decline in the deficit with this tax cuts and increased spending and has that deficit set to reach 1 trillion by next year.

The collapse is going to come faster this time only because the collapse from the bush boy was so huge with republicans refusing to help clean up the mess in the Obama years.

It's not going to be pretty especially since trump has pretty much alienated our allies.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Trump metals tariffs will cost Ford $1 billion in profits, CEO says | Reuters

Last edited:

What's your story?

Republicans have driven the moderates out of their party
They no longer tolerate their RINOs

I've been a moderate or center left all my life. I have both conservative and liberal views though tend to be more liberal.

It wasn't until the bush boy years that people like me were labeled "radical liberals."

I don't know what's so radical about not lying about war and not supporting that war based on lies or what's so radical about not torturing human beings but that's how the republicans saw it and still do see it.

Seems like today anyone who wants to compromise or work with anyone who has different views is a traitor according to republicans.

The long and short of it:

• I liked Bill Clinton, the first time around, and would have identified as a Democrat if pushed.
  • The "blue dress" scandal happened. I saw how the Dems acted, and, as a practicing Christian, wanted no part of it. "Switched" to being more Republican, and started listening to Rush.
  • Came of age and voted mostly "party line".
  • Swallowed hard and voted for Bush, twice.
  • Swallowed REALLY hard and voted against Obama, the first time.
  • Paid attention to the way Republicans and Democrats acted during first 4 years of Obama.
  • Got educated on the Framers, COTUS, and how the Federal Government really works (lobbyists, money, special interest group, etc.), and realised that most in Washington are more concerned with maintaining power than solving problems.
  • Haven't voted for either party since. I don't see how that will change anytime soon.
Both parties are for expanding government, just in different ways. There is WAY too much power/influence in Washington, and I will likely vote for ANYONE who is committed to changing that. Actual policies are less of a concern, though they do still matter, especially those that deal directly with constitutional issues, national security, and protecting INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS. The fastest way to lose my vote is to say something that threatens any of those things.
Sounds like BERNIE!
Did you seriously just try and pass off Bernie as NOT trying to expand government.

Seriously?

What's your story?

Former Republican? I was regularly a delegate to the state conventions in Texas, was president of the College Republicans on my campus and was employed by the Reagan-Bush '84 and Bill Clements re-election campaigns. In that period I was a regular listener to Limbaugh, Liddy, and Hannity. Though I didn't care for them personally, I grudgingly accepted GHWB and Dole as nominees because they "earned" it through long service. I backed Buchanan in 92 and my governor for president in 2000. As curriculum vitae is that sufficient?

Once upon a time, not so long ago, I would have been considered a center right Repub. As RR once said, “I didn’t leave the Democrat Party, they left me.” My points of view haven’t changed. Unlike those who claim the conservative label in this day and time, I have read Russell Kirk, John Locke, and Hobbes. To my reading list I have added Nock, Spooner, Bastiat, Herbert Spencer and Rothbard. This is why I hold both major political parties, and their rabid mindless acolytes, in such great disdain. Each is full of that ‘my country right or wrong’ thinking, just as long as it’s their party in charge at the moment. When it is the other bunch in charge they are ready to scream that the whole shootin’ match is going to the hot place in a hand basket. They are two sides of the same coin. Theirs is organised theft. It is theft by force of arms. They exist only to remove money, which they have not earned and have no right to, from productive people and make it available to the leaches. There is no difference in the social programs of the left’s nanny state or the military industrial complex and corporate welfare on the right.

I have never been an active anti-abortion advocate, but am inclined in that direction. My belief is that this is something that belongs under the preview of the states and as such support the overturning of RvW. Now this has been a fundraising cash cow of the GOP since the late 1970’s. Cynically they have avoided actually doing anything about this every time they have had the power to do so. Simply stripping the jurisdiction of the federal courts, which the congress has the power to do, in this matter is doable and does not require a majority on the SC.

While he was still Governor of Texas, I was as excited as any Bushie that he might seek the White House. He had been a fine Governor, his leadership was strong and his ability to reach across the aisle and work with the opposition party for the betterment of Texas showed great promise for the future.

Once elected what had President Bush done? He had allowed discretionary spending rise at a rate that would have given Bill Clinton pause. He made war on terrorists in the name of supporting freedom, and left inconvenient democracy movements to wither while at home he signed legislation that went further to restrict liberties than any preceding president. After decades of advocating the devolving of power to the state and local governments, Ted Kennedy got to write the Education Bill and set national standards in education. The national chairman of the GO.P. went to New Hampshire in 2004 and told conservatives that they can lump it if they didn't like it, because wasn’t like they had anywhere else to go. Then they pushed Part D through the congress and made it law.

Wars without end were launched with the most spurious and transparent of false justifications. When the towers were destroyed, Saudi officials and their families were quickly spirited out of the country. Surprise! Most of the actors in the attack were Saudi citizens. Anybody within the fold that questioned the motivations for the attack was ostracized and kicked to the side of the road. The most vicious attacks were set aside for Congressman Ron Paul, an unassuming and soft spoken fellow who could have easily been patted on the head, smiled at, and patronized like an elderly uncle. He wasn’t going to win, he was no threat to the status quo but he was treated like a klansman at a NAACP meeting.

They only opposed Obama around the fringes, with cynical votes to end national healthcare that they knew would accomplish nothing. Once they had the means to do something, they refused to do so. Obama did two things worthy of a pat on the back, his reaching out to Cuba and the Iran nuclear deal. These were the first things to be reversed as soon as possible.

I find a perverse pleasure in the administration of Donald Trump. I agree with almost nothing, but he does throw the pestilent and parasitical types into a real tizzy and I am greatly amused by the show. Y’all ran that old unelectable douche bag on purpose and that’s why you ended up with the annoying orange. That shit is on you.

Trump is vile, his enemies and detractors more so.

There is nothing of the small government, live and let live, western GOP, libertarian Reaganite views left in the party. So I quit. I won’t vote for their neocon warmongering, government has the answers, boom and bust cycle fascist corporatism. The last national election in which I cast a vote was in 2004 and it was for a third party candidate.

For all their faults, as detestable as I find the GOP, I hold the dimocraps in even lower esteem.

What's your story?

Former Republican? I was regularly a delegate to the state conventions in Texas, was president of the College Republicans on my campus and was employed by the Reagan-Bush '84 and Bill Clements re-election campaigns. In that period I was a regular listener to Limbaugh, Liddy, and Hannity. Though I didn't care for them personally, I grudgingly accepted GHWB and Dole as nominees because they "earned" it through long service. I backed Buchanan in 92 and my governor for president in 2000. As curriculum vitae is that sufficient?

Once upon a time, not so long ago, I would have been considered a center right Repub. As RR once said, “I didn’t leave the Democrat Party, they left me.” My points of view haven’t changed. Unlike those who claim the conservative label in this day and time, I have read Russell Kirk, John Locke, and Hobbes. To my reading list I have added Nock, Spooner, Bastiat, Herbert Spencer and Rothbard. This is why I hold both major political parties, and their rabid mindless acolytes, in such great disdain. Each is full of that ‘my country right or wrong’ thinking, just as long as it’s their party in charge at the moment. When it is the other bunch in charge they are ready to scream that the whole shootin’ match is going to the hot place in a hand basket. They are two sides of the same coin. Theirs is organised theft. It is theft by force of arms. They exist only to remove money, which they have not earned and have no right to, from productive people and make it available to the leaches. There is no difference in the social programs of the left’s nanny state or the military industrial complex and corporate welfare on the right.

I have never been an active anti-abortion advocate, but am inclined in that direction. My belief is that this is something that belongs under the preview of the states and as such support the overturning of RvW. Now this has been a fundraising cash cow of the GOP since the late 1970’s. Cynically they have avoided actually doing anything about this every time they have had the power to do so. Simply stripping the jurisdiction of the federal courts, which the congress has the power to do, in this matter is doable and does not require a majority on the SC.

While he was still Governor of Texas, I was as excited as any Bushie that he might seek the White House. He had been a fine Governor, his leadership was strong and his ability to reach across the aisle and work with the opposition party for the betterment of Texas showed great promise for the future.

Once elected what had President Bush done? He had allowed discretionary spending rise at a rate that would have given Bill Clinton pause. He made war on terrorists in the name of supporting freedom, and left inconvenient democracy movements to wither while at home he signed legislation that went further to restrict liberties than any preceding president. After decades of advocating the devolving of power to the state and local governments, Ted Kennedy got to write the Education Bill and set national standards in education. The national chairman of the GO.P. went to New Hampshire in 2004 and told conservatives that they can lump it if they didn't like it, because wasn’t like they had anywhere else to go. Then they pushed Part D through the congress and made it law.

Wars without end were launched with the most spurious and transparent of false justifications. When the towers were destroyed, Saudi officials and their families were quickly spirited out of the country. Surprise! Most of the actors in the attack were Saudi citizens. Anybody within the fold that questioned the motivations for the attack was ostracized and kicked to the side of the road. The most vicious attacks were set aside for Congressman Ron Paul, an unassuming and soft spoken fellow who could have easily been patted on the head, smiled at, and patronized like an elderly uncle. He wasn’t going to win, he was no threat to the status quo but he was treated like a klansman at a NAACP meeting.

They only opposed Obama around the fringes, with cynical votes to end national healthcare that they knew would accomplish nothing. Once they had the means to do something, they refused to do so. Obama did two things worthy of a pat on the back, his reaching out to Cuba and the Iran nuclear deal. These were the first things to be reversed as soon as possible.

I find a perverse pleasure in the administration of Donald Trump. I agree with almost nothing, but he does throw the pestilent and parasitical types into a real tizzy and I am greatly amused by the show. Y’all ran that old unelectable douche bag on purpose and that’s why you ended up with the annoying orange. That shit is on you.

There is nothing of the small government, live and let live, western GOP, libertarian Reaganite views left in the party. So I quit. I won’t vote for their neocon warmongering, government has the answers, boom and bust cycle fascist corporatism. The last national election in which I cast a vote was in 2004 and it was for a third party candidate.

For all their faults, as detestable as I find the GOP, I hold the dimocraps in even lower esteem.
Outstanding post.

Reagan's "I didn't leave them, they left me" statement has come to my mind hundreds of times in recent years, except this time in the context of the Republican party.

I didn't leave it, it left me.

Like you, I hold the Democrats in low esteem, and always have. So I find myself a man without a party.

I do believe our country is ripe for a new major party.

What's your story?

Outstanding post.

Reagan's "I didn't leave them, they left me" statement has come to my mind hundreds of times in recent years, except this time in the context of the Republican party.

I didn't leave it, it left me.

Like you, I hold the Democrats in low esteem, and always have. So I find myself a man without a party.

I do believe our country is ripe for a new major party.
Sadly, you are right. Even sadder is that we will likely get one. Why do I say "even sadder"? Read George Washington's Farewell Address (it was actually a letter) to understand why. Near the middle he discusses the folly of political parties in a free Republic.

The long and short of it:

• I liked Bill Clinton, the first time around, and would have identified as a Democrat if pushed.
  • The "blue dress" scandal happened. I saw how the Dems acted, and, as a practicing Christian, wanted no part of it. "Switched" to being more Republican, and started listening to Rush.
  • Came of age and voted mostly "party line".
  • Swallowed hard and voted for Bush, twice.
  • Swallowed REALLY hard and voted against Obama, the first time.
  • Paid attention to the way Republicans and Democrats acted during first 4 years of Obama.
  • Got educated on the Framers, COTUS, and how the Federal Government really works (lobbyists, money, special interest group, etc.), and realised that most in Washington are more concerned with maintaining power than solving problems.
  • Haven't voted for either party since. I don't see how that will change anytime soon.
Both parties are for expanding government, just in different ways. There is WAY too much power/influence in Washington, and I will likely vote for ANYONE who is committed to changing that. Actual policies are less of a concern, though they do still matter, especially those that deal directly with constitutional issues, national security, and protecting INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS. The fastest way to lose my vote is to say something that threatens any of those things.
Sounds like BERNIE!
Um, what has Bernie said/done that would cause you to believe he is for removing power/influence from Washington. I do not follow him very closely, doesn't he say he is a "Democratic Socialist"? How can a person be for socialism (AKA state control of the economy) and be for removing power/influence from the state? Those two things seem to be quite opposite each other.

Forum List

Back