Do you say Holidays instead of Christmas? Joke is on YOU!

Those of you who say "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas due to the religious aspects of Christmas are being hypocritical of your own values. You are wishing us happy "Holy Days" without realizing it :lol:

Holiday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You do realize that there are more then one type or religious "holy days" in the month of December dont you?

I sure do there are several.

Please make sure to comprehend the words I used in the first post and whom this was directed at (those who say happy holidays because they think saying merry christmas is offensive due to the religious aspect).

Why do so many people seem to ascribe intent other than what my words stated?

I think the confusion is in your wording...Including the thread title which challenges "Do you say Holidays instead of Christmas? Joke is on YOU!".

Points of clarification are not "arguments" my dear... How can you know WHY someone chooses to say Happy Holidays...? IOW how can you assume they are being "hypocritical" if you don't know where they are coming from...?

I was very specific as to whom I was adressing though. I wasn't assuming...i was saying that those who specifically do so because they think its offensive based on religion are, well, palying a joke on themselves.

The fact that so many people have already taken it either out of its context, ascribed meaning to it other than what my words specifically said, or have projected their own view of what they wished I was saying onto my post is the very reason I was deliberate and specific in how I worded it in the first place.

Last edited:
Those of you who say "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas due to the religious aspects of Christmas are being hypocritical of your own values. You are wishing us happy "Holy Days" without realizing it :lol:

Please make sure to comprehend the words I used in the first post and whom this was directed at (those who say happy holidays because they think saying merry christmas is offensive due to the religious aspect).

I think the confusion is in your wording...Including the thread title which challenges "Do you say Holidays instead of Christmas? Joke is on YOU!".

Points of clarification are not "arguments" my dear... How can you know WHY someone chooses to say Happy Holidays...? IOW how can you assume they are being "hypocritical" if you don't know where they are coming from...?

I was very specific as to whom I was adressing though.

I wasn't assuming...i was saying that those who specifically do so because they think its offensive based on religion are, well, palying a joke on themselves.

OK, I get that...But the point of clarification people are making is that your starting point is aimed at a nebulous group - "those who don't say it cuz of the religious aspect" are somehow "hypocritical" because the root of Holiday is HOLY.

I think the reason people say Happy Holidays is because they want to be respectful of all possible aspects including all religious aspects...So the use of HOLIDAY, despite it's HOLY derivation, is used to cover all aspects, not to be exclusive of religious aspects.

Last edited:

I was very specific as to whom I was adressing though. I wasn't assuming...i was saying that those who specifically do so because they think its offensive based on religion are, well, palying a joke on themselves.

The fact that so many people have already taken it either out of its context, ascribed meaning to it other than what my words specifically said, or have projected their own view of what they wished I was saying onto my post is the very reason I was deliberate and specific in how I worded it in the first place.

You weren't specific, you were simply being a troll. Stupid threads are one reason - the reason - I've avoided posting here recently. Those on the New Right are not only partisan hacks they also seem to be getting stupider. I guess as the future becomes more into focus and the abject failure of the "TP" Congress becomes clear we can expect more stupid threads and trolls to surface.

I think this simple topic and the way the discussion has gone is a good example of how many threads end up with similar misunderstandings and confusion and anger...So keep in mind that wording matters and points of clarification are not arguments, so there is no need to always be defensive...

I'm just saying you assume it's everyone else taking it the wrong way, when really you sort of boxed yourself in by wording it the way you did, but no biggie...

The word holiday derived from the notion of "Holy Day", and gradually evolved to its current form.

The word holiday comes from the Old English word hāligdæg. The word originally referred only to special religious days. In modern use, it means any special day of rest or relaxation, as opposed to normal days away from work or school.

Grow up. Christmas is a Christain Holiday (Holy Day); the months of November and December included not only Chrstmas but secular days such as Thanksgiving, New Years, the Winter Solstice as well as a number of other holy days celebrated by non-Christians.

Christmas is a NATIONAL holiday and is celebrated by Christians and non-Christians alike.

You do realize that there are more then one type or religious "holy days" in the month of December dont you?

Holiday has many meanings. That is unless you think a long holiday weekend for presidents day, labor day, and memorial day are considered long holy day weekends. :eusa_whistle:

Last edited:

I think this simple topic and the way the discussion has gone is a good example of how many threads end up with similar misunderstandings and confusion and anger...So keep in mind that wording matters and points of clarification are not arguments, so there is no need to always be defensive...

I'm just saying you assume it's everyone else taking it the wrong way, when really you sort of boxed yourself in by wording it the way you did, but no biggie...

I'm not assuming anything. people did take it other than how I worded it and anyone reading this thread can see it. Its very simple, plain, and obvious.

However your observation that people's projection of their own opinions onto what others type leads to misunderstandings in threads is very valid.

You weren't specific, you were simply being a troll. Stupid threads are one reason - the reason - I've avoided posting here recently. Those on the New Right are not only partisan hacks they also seem to be getting stupider. I guess as the future becomes more into focus and the abject failure of the "TP" Congress becomes clear we can expect more stupid threads and trolls to surface.

Grow up. Christmas is a Christain Holiday (Holy Day); the months of November and December included not only Chrstmas but secular days such as Thanksgiving, New Years, the Winter Solstice as well as a number of other holy days celebrated by non-Christians.

Hypocrite much :lol:

Holiday has many meanings. That is unless you think a long holiday weekend for presidents day, labor day, and memorial day are considered long holy day weekends. :eusa_whistle:

I understand what you are getting at there syreen. Its a good point but doesn't detract from the humor I derive from the nitwits who think saying merry christmas or happy holidays is offensive either way, considering the origin of the word holiday.

"Oh im so offended by happy holidays because its my religion's day, they should say christmas" Really they are wishing you a happy holy day
"Oh i'm so offended by christmas being religious they should say happy holidyas" Really you are wishing them a happy holy day

Its pretty funny for me and for the dozen or so people who PM'd/Repped me and Im sorry you don't seem to see the humor.

Last edited:
Those of you who say "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas due to the religious aspects of Christmas are being hypocritical of your own values. You are wishing us happy "Holy Days" without realizing it :lol:/quote]

The joke's on you, dumbass. I celebrate Yule. Christians aren't the only ones with holy days. I'm pretty sure that Jewish people consider Hannukah to be somewhat holy, as well. The point of wishing someone happy holidays is to cover all of the holy days from a variety of religions that fall within a short period of time.

Last edited:
Those of you who say "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas due to the religious aspects of Christmas are being hypocritical of your own values. You are wishing us happy "Holy Days" without realizing it :lol:/quote]

The joke's on you, dumbass. I celebrate Yule. Christians aren't the only ones with holy days.

Joke's not on me at all but nice try!

Keep em coming....maybe someone can crack me here :lol:

For doe-eyed O-bots, I would say Presidents Day might qualify as a holy day.

President's Day is no longer on the calendar of official U.S. holidays. It was replaced by MLK day in January for most federal/state/local employees, and private companies. it was never designed honor the current president, but was a holiday to memorialize George Washington by celebrating his birthday (it was implemented in 1880).

Last edited:

Actually, it appears that the yolk's on you for not realizing that a holy day can be any sort of religious remembrance.

5 - Ashura (Islamic, Muslim)

6 - St. Nicholas Day (International)

8 - Bodhi Day - Buddha's Enlightenment (Buddhist)

8-16 - Hanukkah* (Jewish)

12 - Virgin of Guadalupe (Mexico)

13 - Santa Lucia Day (Sweden)

16-25 - Las Posadas (Mexico)

20 - Yule (Europe, U.S.)

25 - Christmas (Christian, Roman Catholic, International)

26 - Boxing Day (Canada, United Kingdom)

26 - Kwanzaa (African-American)

However, far be it from me to egg you on to further heights of stupidity.

President's Day is no longer on the calendar of official U.S. holidays. It was replaced by MLK day in January for most federal/state/local employees, and private companies. it was never designed honor the current president, but was a holiday to memorialize George Washington by celebrating his birthday (it was implemented in 1880).
Oops. Yup forgot about that.

Just a piece of trivia: There is no MLK day celebrated in VA. It's Lee-Jackson day here.

(I think they may have recently changed it to "Lee-Jackson-King" day.)

Actually, it appears that the yolk's on you for not realizing that a holy day can be any sort of religious remembrance.

5 - Ashura (Islamic, Muslim)

6 - St. Nicholas Day (International)

8 - Bodhi Day - Buddha's Enlightenment (Buddhist)

8-16 - Hanukkah* (Jewish)

12 - Virgin of Guadalupe (Mexico)

13 - Santa Lucia Day (Sweden)

16-25 - Las Posadas (Mexico)

20 - Yule (Europe, U.S.)

25 - Christmas (Christian, Roman Catholic, International)

26 - Boxing Day (Canada, United Kingdom)

26 - Kwanzaa (African-American)

However, far be it from me to egg you on to further heights of stupidity.

You REALLY should read through the thread so you don't sound so uniformed or maybe read exactly what I wrote in the first sentance of the first post :lol:

Keep trying though :lmao:

EDIT: I'm feeling too jovial to keep being mean to you this morning...here

I understand what you are getting at there syreen. Its a good point but doesn't detract from the humor I derive from the nitwits who think saying merry christmas or happy holidays is offensive either way, considering the origin of the word holiday.

"Oh im so offended by happy holidays because its my religion's day, they should say christmas" Really they are wishing you a happy holy day
"Oh i'm so offended by christmas being religious they should say happy holidyas" Really you are wishing them a happy holy day

Its pretty funny for me and for the dozen or so people who PM'd/Repped me and Im sorry you don't seem to see the humor.

Last edited:

The word holiday derived from the notion of "Holy Day", and gradually evolved to its current form.

The word holiday comes from the Old English word hāligdæg. The word originally referred only to special religious days. In modern use, it means any special day of rest or relaxation, as opposed to normal days away from work or school.

Um, allow me to point something out for you. "Holy Day" is generic. Each religion has "Holy Days"....it is not Christian specific.......AND (wait for it)........that is the point.

No need to thank me.

Forum List

Back