Do You Smoke Pot/Weed?

Do you smoke Pot/Weed?

• Yes

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • I used to

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I tried it once or twice. Got nothing out of it.

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
Why do you think they have to take all the precautions that they take when prescribing narcotic meds???

"FDA has determined that the reformulated version of OxyContin has abuse-deterrent properties and has approved new labeling that indicates that the product has physical and chemical properties that are expected to make abuse by injection difficult and to reduce abuse via the intranasal route.

FDA also has determined that the original formulation of OxyContin was withdrawn from the market for safety reasons. As a result, the agency will not accept or approve any abbreviated new drug applications (generics) that rely upon the approval of these products."

How did the Feds determine this? I have a hard time believing this.

Lol. What do you mean, you don't believe it? Well sorry about that.

FDA approves abuse-deterrent labeling for reformulated OxyContin

The FDA approved the original formulation of OxyContin in Dec. 1995. The product was abused, often following manipulation intended to defeat its extended-release properties. Such manipulation causes the drug to be released more rapidly, which increases the risk of serious adverse events, including overdose and death. In April 2010, the FDA approved a reformulated version of OxyContin, which was designed to be more difficult to manipulate for purposes of misuse or abuse. Purdue stopped shipping original OxyContin to pharmacies in August 2010.

“The development of abuse-deterrent opioid analgesics is a public health priority for the FDA,” said Douglas Throckmorton, M.D., deputy director for regulatory programs in the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. “While both original and reformulated OxyContin are subject to abuse and misuse, the FDA has determined that reformulated OxyContin can be expected to make abuse by injection difficult and expected to reduce abuse by snorting compared to original OxyContin.”

The FDA has determined that the reformulated product has abuse-deterrent properties. The tablet is more difficult to crush, break, or dissolve. It also forms a viscous hydrogel and cannot be easily prepared for injection. The agency has determined that the physical and chemical properties of the reformulated product are expected to make the product difficult to inject and to reduce abuse via snorting. However, abuse of OxyContin by these routes, as well as the oral route, is still possible. The reformulated product also may reduce incidents of therapeutic misuse, such as crushing the product to sprinkle it onto food or to administer it through a gastric tube. When FDA finds that a new formulation has abuse deterrent properties, the agency has the authority to require generics to have abuse-deterrent properties also.

Why do you think they have to take all the precautions that they take when prescribing narcotic meds???

"FDA has determined that the reformulated version of OxyContin has abuse-deterrent properties and has approved new labeling that indicates that the product has physical and chemical properties that are expected to make abuse by injection difficult and to reduce abuse via the intranasal route.

FDA also has determined that the original formulation of OxyContin was withdrawn from the market for safety reasons. As a result, the agency will not accept or approve any abbreviated new drug applications (generics) that rely upon the approval of these products."

That's correct, I don't believe it. They just declared that snortin' it don't get you high? I don't believe that. I also don't believe that the general addictive nature of the drug can be altered without changing the chemical structure of the drug...which your "information" doesn't mention. I'm calling shenanigans.

That's correct, I don't believe it. They just declared that snortin' it don't get you high? I don't believe that. I also don't believe that the general addictive nature of the drug can be altered without changing the chemical structure of the drug...which your "information" doesn't mention. I'm calling shenanigans.

Lol. No. It was stated that the newer formula was more difficult to crush and therefore more difficult to be abused by snorting it. :)

“While both original and reformulated OxyContin are subject to abuse and misuse, the FDA has determined that reformulated OxyContin can be expected to make abuse by injection difficult and expected to reduce abuse by snorting compared to original OxyContin.”

See the part I just quoted above please. Thanks.

Lol. No. It was stated that the newer formula was more difficult to crush and therefore more difficult to be abused by snorting it. :)

So it takes 2 minutes instead of 1 minute to crush it? It's an addictive drug.

I think that's bull though. If people want to abuse it, they are going to abuse it. That's all there is to it.

Definitely there are SOME bad doctors who will write scripts for these types of drugs without a second thought to the consequences. It's all about the money for them, but that's to be expected with every profession, I think.

I don't disagree. My point was that the drug is so widely abused that measures have been taken to "lessen" the chances that it is abused by the FDA and the pharmaceutical companies themselves. Though meaningless as they might be.

“While both original and reformulated OxyContin are subject to abuse and misuse, the FDA has determined that reformulated OxyContin can be expected to make abuse by injection difficult and expected to reduce abuse by snorting compared to original OxyContin.”

I just saw that part and once again you've failed to post anything explaining why you think you are right. The drug is the drug...period. It's addictive no matter what you do as long as it chemically remains that drug.

I don't disagree. My point was that the drug is so widely abused that measures have been taken to "lessen" the chances that it is abused by the FDA and the pharmaceutical companies themselves. Though meaningless as they might be.

I think we are on the same page here, I just think the FDA is dishonest as hell.

I just saw that part and once again you've failed to post anything explaining why you think you are right. The drug is the drug...period. It's addictive no matter what you do as long as it chemically remains that drug.

My point is that there have been measures taken to try and discourage abuse. I was using this to show how big of a problem the abuse of this prescription medicine really is.

I would never want to be put on OxyContin. I would use other pain relieving measures and avoid it if at all possible. It is highly addictive. However, I have done reports on many, many patients who took it, followed their physician's orders to a T, and came off of it just fine too.

My point is that there have been measures taken to try and discourage abuse. I was using this to show how big of a problem the abuse of this prescription medicine really is.

My point is I don't believe any measures have been taken. I think that little of my government.

I would never want to be put on OxyContin. I would use other pain relieving measures and avoid it if at all possible. It is highly addictive. However, I have done reports on many, many patients who took it, followed their physician's orders to a T, and came off of it just fine too.

I have no problem with Oxycontin. If I need a pain killer I want the best. I survived Vicadin with no problem.

My point is I don't believe any measures have been taken. I think that little of my government.

I'm not a fan either, but they get SOME things right sometimes. :)

Anyways, I'm not against legalization of MJ. If people want to be dopey, then more power to them! I don't really consider it any worse than smoking cigarettes or drinking (in fact, less destructive than drinking, I'm sure!). There certainly ARE some substances that should definitely be controlled/regulated though. It's not always just themselves that they hurt when under the influence of heavy duty drugs.

Anyways, I'm not against legalization of MJ. If people want to be dopey, then more power to them! I don't really consider it any worse than smoking cigarettes or drinking (in fact, less destructive than drinking, I'm sure!). There certainly ARE some substances that should definitely be controlled/regulated though. It's not always just themselves that they hurt when under the influence of heavy duty drugs.

You're fun at parties eh?

Forum List

Back