Do You Understand The Concept Of Tithing?

Tithing of tithe, is the concept of giving God 10 percent of your increase.

That is, ten percent (10%) of everything you earn, monetarily of course.

So if you make 3,000 a month, your tithe should be 300 a month.

Do you find yourself wondering why would God need your money?

Do you understand what's this all about?

What's your understanding of this?

The concept is the more you give, the more you get. 10% is a lot and I wouldn't start out at that just to test the waters.

I read a Suze Orman book once and that was one of the things she recommended. She didn't call it tithing but the concept of giving some of what you earn to a good cause seemed to be an important component of her financial advice.

The root of the word tithe is 1/10.

You expect us to give 3-5 times that amount to government, yet God cant have a measily 10%?

The blessings for tithing come after faithfully obeying the law. If you aren't paying a full tithe, you aren't going to get the full blessing.

The blessings for tithing come after faithfully obeying the law. If you aren't paying a full tithe, you aren't going to get the full blessing.

Exactly what law are you obeying? Since NONE of the law deals with giving a tenth of one's income, please show which law in the scripture you are obeying.

Is it the tithe God defined in Leviticus 27:30-33 and Numbers 18?
Is it the tithe God commanded in Deut. 14:22-27?
Is it the tithe God commanded in Deut. 14:28-29?

OR, have you made up your own law?

Exactly what law are you obeying? Since NONE of the law deals with giving a tenth of one's income, please show which law in the scripture you are obeying.

Is it the tithe God defined in Leviticus 27:30-33 and Numbers 18?
Is it the tithe God commanded in Deut. 14:22-27?
Is it the tithe God commanded in Deut. 14:28-29?

OR, have you made up your own law?

A tithe by defintion is one tenth. If the Lord ask for a tithe, pay a tithe.

A tithe by defintion is one tenth. If the Lord ask for a tithe, pay a tithe.

One tenth OF WHAT? If you don't fill in the "OF WHAT" then I guess I can say I have paid a tithe if I give one tenth of the cereal in a box of cereal.

Problem is, church leaders have decided to make up their own definition and how it is to be applied and totally ignore GOD'S OWN DEFINITION FOR HIS TITHE, and GOD'S OWN INSTRUCTIONS AS TO WHAT TO DO WITH HIS TITHE.

God didn't say to PAY a tithe of anything to begin with. You miss the whole point of His tithe. God RESERVED for Himself a tenth of the crops and animals; NOTHING ELSE. He never gave that tenth to the Israelites to begin with. He kept that tenth for Himself. Then He INSTRUCTED the Israelites to TAKE His tithe to the Levites. No one PAID a tithe according to the OT commands. They merely TRANSPORTED it.

So IF tithe merely means a tenth, and that is what God asked for, SHOW ME THE SCRIPTURE. God was very specific. He didn't command a tithe of fish, or a tithe of animals NOT in herds and flocks, or a tithe of anything other than what He specified in Leviticus 27:30-33.

Every pastor I have heard teach tithing says you tithe from your GROSS income. Yet in the scriptures, Abram tithed from the NET spoils, and the Israelite farmers were to tithe from the NET increase from the crops, and the NET increase in animals. Not the gross.

It's not hard to read the scriptures. What seems to be hard is to follow the scriptures without CHANGING THEM to fit what you want them to say.

100% of what you have God gave you. Requiring 10% back is a test. Not a test God gives you, but a test you give God. It is the only time God says, "test me on this":
Malachi 3:8-12
8 "Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me.
"But you ask, 'How do we rob you?'
"In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me. 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. 11 I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit," says the LORD Almighty. 12 "Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land," says the LORD Almighty.

Tithe 25% more of your tithe and God will return your tithe 7 fold. $3,000 = $300.00 tithe. 25% of 300 = $75.00 tithe = $375.00 It's a win win situation for the tither.

Tithing goes no where but a church. It's purpose is insuring the church continues to function. If the pastor of a church does not have to fend for himself, then he has more time to spend in prayer for his flock. You win again.

Your tithe MUST be right off the top. The first fruit of your garden or the first of your paycheck. If not , it is completely void.

Do not forget the widow, orphan and sojourner on your way to tithe, but what you share with them is charity, NOT tithe.

Have you ever seen a flood gate open?
IT WORKS. What a good God we have.
I hope that helps answer your questions Marc. :eusa_angel:

Old Joke Warning

A Catholic, a Protestant and a Jew are discussing tithing. They draw a circle in chalk on the pavement below them.

The Catholic says: "We should take the money and throw it in the air, and whatever lands inside the circle, we give to God."

The Protestant says: "No, we should throw it in the air and whatever lands outside the circle we give to God."

The Jew says: “No, we throw it in the air; whatever God wants, He keeps!”

Whoever and whatever God is: "Whatever God wants, He keeps!"

To The Irish Ram - Wow! What Bible are you reading from?

The Biblical tithe was NEVER the first of anything. It was the LAST ONE out of every ten. See Leviticus 27:32. You are confusing firstfruits offerings with the tithe and they have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Nehemiah 10:37-38 (KJV)
37And that we should bring the firstfruits of our dough, and our offerings, and the fruit of all manner of trees, of wine and of oil, unto the priests, to the chambers of the house of our God; and the tithes of our ground unto the Levites, that the same Levites might have the tithes in all the cities of our tillage.
38And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house.

In Nehemiah 10:37 we learn that the firstfruits were taken to the temple for the priests, and the tithes were taken to the Levites who lived in the Levitical cities. Therefore, we see that firstfruits have nothing to do with the tithe.

In Nehemiah 10:38 we learn that the Levites would take a tithe of the tithe to the Temple. It is this tithe, the tithe from the Levites, that went to the storehouse, not the tithe from the people. This is important to remember when we study Malachi 3:10.

It was the priests that were robbing God, not the farmers. If you believe that Malachi 3 applies to Christians, then you, also, are robbing God because God COMMANDED His tithe be taken to the Levites, NOT the Church.

And have you not read Deut. 14:28-29? That, my friend, says that THE TITHE goes to the widows, orphans, Levites, and the stranger EVERY THREE YEARS.

Does anyone on this blog read their Bible, or do they just believe what is taught to them in church?

Concerning firstfruits offerings, consider the following:

OLD TESTAMENT
Proverbs 3:9 (KJV) “Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:”

NEW TESTAMENT
2 Timothy 2:6 (KJV) “The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits.”

1 Timothy 5:8 (KJV) “But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.”

Using the above principles, the New Testament makes it clear that we are to use the FIRST of our income to take care of ourselves and our family. We are talking about needs, here, not just anything we want. Then we should give generously from what is left.

It's time the truth be taught rather than man-made doctrine.

The word tithe in Hebrew, Greek and English means tenth. Whether it be Abraham or us. For Abraham to tithe to Melchizedek was to tenth Melchizedek with Abraham's spoils of war.

When the disciples asked Christ whether tithing is necessary outside of the old testament law, His reply was, "you tithe your mint and rue, as well you should"...........
In other words, if you grew rue, you tithe rue. ( but, if you gather wild rue from the hillside, it is not considered your increase). Jesus went on to make the point of being charitable on your way to God's house.
And, if you give your tenth/tithe grudgingly, then don't do it at all. (2Cor.9:7)

While offerings can range from a variety of things, Tithe IS the first fruits of everything you gain and the first fruits are to go directly to the house of God, to the priests.
Probverbs 3:9 Tells you what you are to tithe/tenth.

Nowhere does the Bible state that you should honour your God with your leftovers.

Last edited:
When the disciples asked Christ whether tithing is necessary outside of the old testament law, His reply was, "you tithe your mint and rue, as well you should"...........

While offerings can range from a variety of things, Tithe IS the first fruits of everything you gain and the first fruits are to go directly to the house of God, to the priests.
Probverbs 3:9 Tells you what you are to tithe/tenth.

Nowhere does the Bible state that you should honour your God with your leftovers.

You seem to make it all up to match your own belief instead of reading the scripture.

In Matthew 23:23 Jesus was speaking to the Scribes and Pharisees, and referred to tithing as MATTERS OF THE LAW. Nothing was spoken about tithing outside the OT law. Read it yourself.

Tithe is not and never was the first fruits of everything you gain. The tithe could not have possibly been the firstfruits as I already showed. The firstfruits went to the priests at the Temple while the TITHE went to the Levites who lived in the Levitical cities. Proverbs 3:9 says absolutely NOTHING about a tenth, and verse 10 confirms that the firstfruits is FRUIT FROM CROPS. Nothing else.

All this man-made doctrine on tithing/firstfruits started in 1870. Before then, Christians understood that the tithe ONLY consisted of crops and animals, not money, and not from anyone's income. Do a study on the history of tithing in the Christian Church, as I have done, and you will see what man has done to God's Word. This subject really is quite simple, but has become complicated and confusing due to man's mixing man-made doctrine with the scriptures.

It's really discouraging for me to see all this false teaching, but encouraging to see that future pastors attending Liberty University are now being taught there is NO tithing in the Christian Church.

Last edited:
Nowhere does the Bible state that you should honour your God with your leftovers.[/B]

Jesus said that giving to the needy/poor is giving to Him. Nowhere in the scriptures does it say that giving to a corporation organized to do business as a church is giving to God.

As far as the "leftovers" comment you made - just another tactic pastors use. The actual fact is, you give to the organized church. The church then takes what is needed to pay the bills (rent or mortgage, utilities, upkeep, salaries, etc.), and then IF there is any thing leftover, the LEFTOVERS may wind up going to the needy. It is the organized church that gives the leftovers to The Lord.

OLD TESTAMENT
Proverbs 3:9 (KJV) “Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:”

NEW TESTAMENT
2 Timothy 2:6 (KJV) “The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits.”

1 Timothy 5:8 (KJV) “But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.”

Using the above principles, the New Testament makes it clear that we are to use the FIRST of our income to take care of ourselves and our family. We are talking about needs, here, not just anything we want. Then we should give generously from what is left.

The concept of tithing was codified by televanglists, like Pat Roberts, to pay for his TV broadcasting transmission equipment. It also worked well for Jim and Tammy Baker. I sent Pat one 5th of my flock as my tithe, but since I only had a flock of cats, he did not seem very pleased.

The Lord's tithe (Leviticus 27:30-33/Numbers 18) went to the Levites. The Levites then were commanded to give a tenth of that tithe to the priests. Both the Levites and the priests worked at the Temple approximately TWO WEEKS PER YEAR, on a rotational basis. They didn't work full time at the Temple. Only TWO WEEKS PER YEAR. The tithe went to the NON-PRIEST LEVITES, who were the singers, musicians, workers, carpenters, etc. - the servants to the priests. So for those who seem to think tithing is required today, why aren't the singers, musicians, ushers, etc. all paid from that tithe?

Where in the scriptures did God ever give any local church or pastor permission to receive His tithe?

Nothing but a fraudulent system invented by church leaders.

Last edited:
The Bible clearly shows that the tithe ENDED at the cross in the Book of Hebrews. The ONLY place in the Bible, after Calvary, that tithing appears is in Hebrews 7. In the first nine verses of Hebrews 7 the words tenth or tithes appears SEVEN TIMES.

Hebrews 7:5 (KJV) “And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:”

Verse 5 is the first occurrence of the words TITHES, COMMANDMENT and LAW.

Hebrews 7:12 (KJV) “For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.”

Hebrews 7:18 (KJV) “For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.”

The word COMMANDMENT in verse 18 must be referring to the word COMMANDMENT in verse 5 which is referring to the tithe.

Therefore, the COMMANDMENT to TITHE was disannulled.

Its a racket.

Yes, obtaining blessings and blessing others with tithes and offerings is a racket. We give 10% of what God gave us and get back infinitely more.

Every week I prayed to Good to let me win the lottery. And every week nothing happend. Finally I looked towards the heavens and shouted, "God, every week I prayed to you to let me win the lottery and every week you failed me. Why are you so uncaring?"

And a booming voice answered, "Help me a little bit; at least buy a ticket."

Some 10 fold, some 30 fold, some 100 fold. Let circumstance dictate.

Question, What if what you gave effected change in a single persons life? Did you fill a need? Did you address it partially or more completely? Could you or should you have done more, or was your Conscience satisfied? When you play a part in a remedy, how does that effect you? When you turn something around, how does that effect you? When good deeds are perpetuated, how does that effect you? When an Organized Church plays an extension in that, how does that effect you?

100% of what you have God gave you. Requiring 10% back is a test. Not a test God gives you, but a test you give God. It is the only time God says, "test me on this":
Malachi 3:8-12
8 "Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me.
"But you ask, 'How do we rob you?'
"In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me. 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. 11 I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit," says the LORD Almighty. 12 "Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land," says the LORD Almighty.

Tithe 25% more of your tithe and God will return your tithe 7 fold. $3,000 = $300.00 tithe. 25% of 300 = $75.00 tithe = $375.00 It's a win win situation for the tither.

Tithing goes no where but a church. It's purpose is insuring the church continues to function. If the pastor of a church does not have to fend for himself, then he has more time to spend in prayer for his flock. You win again.

Your tithe MUST be right off the top. The first fruit of your garden or the first of your paycheck. If not , it is completely void.

Do not forget the widow, orphan and sojourner on your way to tithe, but what you share with them is charity, NOT tithe.

Have you ever seen a flood gate open?
IT WORKS. What a good God we have.
I hope that helps answer your questions Marc. :eusa_angel:
Irish Ram's the first one to get it 100% right.

We owe God everything...that is EVERYTHING. Our very existence belongs to him. He gave us life, breath, air, the earth, health, strength, wisdom, a job, family, the list goes on.

We are nothing w/o God, NOTHING. We can't give God anything, he already owns it.

Tithing is not giving to God, but more like giving back what is already is. It's a test for us to Him. Just as how God demands our time, as He should, he demands our tithing...it's the least we can do.

And yes, it's the FIRST fruits, not the left overs.

So you aren't to give whatever you have left after you pay all your bills, you are to give God what is His FIRST, then worry about your bills. That's called faith.

Remember that faith w/o works is dead.

@MarcATL - sounds nice, but you have NO scripture to back it up. Just a bunch of garbage with nothing to back it up.

I give scripture to back up everything I say. You give nothing but a bunch of your own words.

The Holy Bible, King James Version
Leviticus 27:32-33
32And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.
Leviticus 27:33 (KJV)
33He shall not search whether it be good or bad, neither shall he change it: and if he change it at all, then both it and the change thereof shall be holy; it shall not be redeemed.

The Holy Bible, New International Version
Leviticus 27:32-33
32The entire tithe of the herd and flock—every tenth animal that passes under the shepherd’s rod—will be holy to the LORD.
Leviticus 27:33 (NIV)
33He must not pick out the good from the bad or make any substitution. If he does make a substitution, both the animal and its substitute become holy and cannot be redeemed.’”

Do the scriptures say the first or the tenth? Plain as can be. Does it say the best goes to God, or does it say you tithe the TENTH ONE whether that animal be good OR BAD?

The New Testament gives us a BETTER WAY to give.

The Holy Bible, King James Version
Deuteronomy 14:22-29
22Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.
23And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.
24And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
25Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:
26And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
27And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.

28At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:
29And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

Forum List

Back