Do You Understand The Concept Of Tithing?

Teaching tithing is a remedy for poor, not a burden, if you truly believe. Not teaching it is robbery, of the poor and God.

You must think you can buy blessings from God. This is one of the problems with the local churches today. The pastors who teach you tithe to get blessings are merchandising God.

When you give your money to the local church, you are giving it to man, not God. You are giving most likely to a corporation organized TO DO BUSINESS as a church. Jesus told us the ONE way we can give to Him - what we do for the poor we do for Him.

When you truly give, you expect NOTHING in return. Otherwise, it isn't a true gift. It would be an investment.

The false and fraudulent teaching of "opening the floodgates, pouring out blessings" etc. really shows lack of scripture understanding. The blessings spoken of in Malachi 3 is RAIN for the crops. Nothing else.

If you really study the scriptures you will find that the NATION tithed AS A WHOLE NATION. The blessings from tithing went TO THE NATION, AS A WHOLE. It was not the individual.

It's amazing how man can be deceived by those who pervert the gospel.

Returning to God a portion of what He has given you is reciprocating, not paying for goods or buying favors, or investing, or bartering for blessings. It is giving God the glory and honor he deserves. That the favors He promises exist, is very nice, and will impact your future, but it is not the reason for tithing.

Christ said that faithful tithing wasn't enough, not that it wasn't necessary. Tithing needs to be accompanied by the right attitude. He used the Pharisees/Law as an example of how not to tithe.

The tribes tithed as tribes, before there was a nation of tribes. Their tents were placed around the tabernacle.

tyroneweaver's question to you was:
I guess my question is : Do you pay tithing in your church.
I do in mine, based on the gross.
Your response was:
Being Spirit led instead of using outdated OT law, I give in excess of 30% of my gross income, consistently, month after month.
then this:
Since I have made it clear that I do not tithe

Pick a lane. When asked if you tithe to a church you said you give 30%. Did you mean you give away as charity to the persons of your choice 30%?
How do you know that the person you are so anxious to endow isn't suffering a hardship that God has put in his path to increase his faith in his father instead of you?

Last edited:
Tithing of tithe, is the concept of giving God 10 percent of your increase.

That is, ten percent (10%) of everything you earn, monetarily of course.

So if you make 3,000 a month, your tithe should be 300 a month.

Do you find yourself wondering why would God need your money?

Do you understand what's this all about?

What's your understanding of this?

Tithing, to me, is sowing a seed.
God returns to me, in His time plenty in return.

My wife doesn't like to tip a server more than 10% because that's more than we give the Lord.

I think taxes should be the same way.

:cool:

Christ said that faithful tithing wasn't enough, not that it wasn't necessary. Tithing needs to be accompanied by the right attitude. He used the Pharisees/Law as an example of how not to tithe.

The tribes tithed as tribes, before there was a nation of tribes. Their tents were placed around the tabernacle.

Your response was:
Being Spirit led instead of using outdated OT law, I give in excess of 30% of my gross income, consistently, month after month.
then this:

Pick a lane. When asked if you tithe to a church you said you give 30%. Did you mean you give away as charity to the persons of your choice 30%?
How do you know that the person you are so anxious to endow isn't suffering a hardship that God has put in his path to increase his faith in his father instead of you?

1 - When Jesus spoke to the Scribes and Pharisees they were under the law. Jesus said NOTHING about tithing free of the law. Jesus even referred to MATTERS OF THE LAW, not tithing by faith, etc. (Matthew 23:23)

2 - The Israelites didn't begin tithing until they reached and were settled on the promised land. The tithe HAD TO COME from the increase of the seed GROWN ON THE PROMISED LAND. They didn't tithe during the exodus.

3 - You seem to confuse giving with tithing. I said I GIVE in excess of 30%. I don't tithe. I have never tithed in my life. I give as the Spirit leads me. I give the amount the Spirit leads me to give, and give WHERE the Spirit leads me to give. That's how I know I give the proper amount AND to where the Lord wants me to give.

Those who really have the Spirit, and LISTEN to the Spirit, and let the Spirit lead, know what I am saying.

Nowhere in the scriptures is tithing by faith mentioned. It was a LAW. According to Biblical historians, even Abram GAVE (not paid) a tenth because it was CUSTOM during that period of time to GIVE a tenth of the spoils to the king.

Nowhere in the New Testament, after Calvary, is tithing taught. Nowhere. Nowhere in the scriptures did God change the definition of His tithe to money. Nowhere in the scriptures did God give any pastor or church permission to receive His tithe.

This is really too simple to go on and on like this. GIVE SOME SCRIPTURE to back up your beliefs.

My wife doesn't like to tip a server more than 10% because that's more than we give the Lord.

Every pastor I have asked agrees that tithing is NOT sowing a seed. Those that teach tithing have said that giving beyond the tithe is sowing a seed, but not the tenth.

It amazes me how often I hear someone say they don't like to tip a server more than 10% because that's more than we give the Lord. Do the math. Which is more. 10% of your gross income, or 20% of the bill at the restaurant? You don't tip based on your income. Just an excuss for those who are too cheap to tip.

Last edited:

Your response was:
then this:

1 - When Jesus spoke to the Scribes and Pharisees they were under the law. Jesus said NOTHING about tithing free of the law. Jesus even referred to MATTERS OF THE LAW, not tithing by faith, etc. (Matthew 23:23)

2 - The Israelites didn't begin tithing until they reached and were settled on the promised land. The tithe HAD TO COME from the increase of the seed GROWN ON THE PROMISED LAND. They didn't tithe during the exodus.

3 - You seem to confuse giving with tithing. I said I GIVE in excess of 30%. I don't tithe. I have never tithed in my life. I give as the Spirit leads me. I give the amount the Spirit leads me to give, and give WHERE the Spirit leads me to give. That's how I know I give the proper amount AND to where the Lord wants me to give.

Those who really have the Spirit, and LISTEN to the Spirit, and let the Spirit lead, know what I am saying.

Nowhere in the scriptures is tithing by faith mentioned. It was a LAW. According to Biblical historians, even Abram GAVE (not paid) a tenth because it was CUSTOM during that period of time to GIVE a tenth of the spoils to the king.

Nowhere in the New Testament, after Calvary, is tithing taught. Nowhere. Nowhere in the scriptures did God change the definition of His tithe to money. Nowhere in the scriptures did God give any pastor or church permission to receive His tithe.

This is really too simple to go on and on like this. GIVE SOME SCRIPTURE to back up your beliefs.
I have, but your not interested in anything but perpetuating what you think the "writer meant" instead of what the writer said.

When Jesus took a break from teaching, He watched the faithful stop at the treasury boxes. He commented NOT on the fact that there were treasury boxes, but on the attitude of the woman that put the least amount into the treasury of the temple. While the others gave a percentage, she gave all she had to God. Attitude.

If Jesus meant what you think He meant, He would have stopped at:
"these things you ought to have done."
Instead He said:
These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone."

He referred to two things the Pharisees did. 1. tithe and 2. overlook justice and love of God.
Christ's response deals with both parts in reverse:
#2. - Things they ought to do, and then #1, - things they should not leave undone. Attitude.

It is the same way that He deals with us.
Our churches tend to say, "Go and sin no more and we won't condemn you".
Christ said, "I won't condemn you, go and sin no more".

It was not tithing that Christ objected to, it was the attitude of the tither that was important to Him. He didn't overturn the treasury boxes in the temple, He turned over obligatory tithing to the heart of the giver. Tithing is a thing that should not be left undone, and should represent the love of God while being implemented.

When Jesus took a break from teaching, He watched the faithful stop at the treasury boxes. He commented NOT on the fact that there were treasury boxes, but on the attitude of the woman that put the least amount into the treasury of the temple. While the others gave a percentage, she gave all she had to God. Attitude.

Instead He said:

He referred to two things the Pharisees did. 1. tithe and 2. overlook justice and love of God.
#2. - Things they ought to do, and then #1, - things they should not leave undone. Attitude.

It was not tithing that Christ objected to, it was the attitude of the tither that was important to Him. He didn't overturn the treasury boxes in the temple, He turned over obligatory tithing to the heart of the giver. Tithing is a thing that should not be left undone, and should represent the love of God while being implemented.

I guess you haven't understood anything I have written.

1 - First you start here with the widow's mite. That had nothing to do with tithing. This topic is on tithing.

2 - Again, when Jesus was speaking to the Scribes and Pharisees THEY WERE STILL UNDER THE LAW. Of course Jesus said they ought to tithe. How could Jesus have told them they didn't need to tithe when they were under the law? The Scribes and Pharisees had very bad attitudes and intentions. That has absolutely nothing to do with Christians tithing today. Tithing should not be left undone - UNDER THE LAW.

You seem to have difficulty dividing the Word of God between the Old Covenant and the New Covenant. Jesus was born, lived, and died during the OLD COVENANT.

Every pastor I have asked agrees that tithing is NOT sowing a seed. Those that teach tithing have said that giving beyond the tithe is sowing a seed, but not the tenth.

It amazes me how often I hear someone say they don't like to tip a server more than 10% because that's more than we give the Lord. Do the math. Which is more. 10% of your gross income, or 20% of the bill at the restaurant? You don't tip based on your income. Just an excuss for those who are too cheap to tip.

I'm not a pastor and I'm not my wife.
But I am a restaurant manager and have since gotten her to tip 20%.

Instead He said:

I guess you haven't understood anything I have written.

1 - First you start here with the widow's mite. That had nothing to do with tithing. This topic is on tithing.

2 - Again, when Jesus was speaking to the Scribes and Pharisees THEY WERE STILL UNDER THE LAW. Of course Jesus said they ought to tithe. How could Jesus have told them they didn't need to tithe when they were under the law? The Scribes and Pharisees had very bad attitudes and intentions. That has absolutely nothing to do with Christians tithing today. Tithing should not be left undone - UNDER THE LAW.

You seem to have difficulty dividing the Word of God between the Old Covenant and the New Covenant. Jesus was born, lived, and died during the OLD COVENANT.

And spoke and acted according to His new covenant while living and dying during the old one. It was what the Pharisees accused him of!
In fact Christ could NOT condemn them under the law because they were obeying the Law.
He condemned them under His new testament attributes of grace, and love.

Jesus said, “You should have practiced the latter (justice, mercy and faithfulness), without neglecting the former (tithing).
Thing is, they were already following the law. They were doing exactly what the Law told them to do. The "latter" part was Christ's new covenant addition. He did not abolish the "former", he adjusted the attitude of those performing the function.

You argue that Jesus’ words are not applicable to us today, because Jesus was under the Law and spoke to those under the Law.
Jesus was not under the Law, and was the eternal Word of God in the flesh. The earth may pass away, but His words will not.

So, the only difficulty I have is scratching out Christ's word in my Bible and replacing them with what you think He meant.
Better scholars than will be found at USMB continue to disagree on this subject, so we may have to just agree to disagree and remain on good terms without surrender. :eusa_angel:

Last edited:
And spoke and acted according to His new covenant while living and dying during the old one. It was what the Pharisees accused him of!
In fact Christ could NOT condemn them under the law because they were obeying the Law.
He condemned them under His new testament attributes of grace, and love.

Jesus said, “You should have practiced the latter (justice, mercy and faithfulness), without neglecting the former (tithing).
Thing is, they were already following the law. They were doing exactly what the Law told them to do. The "latter" part was Christ's new covenant addition. He did not abolish the "former", he adjusted the attitude of those performing the function.

You argue that Jesus’ words are not applicable to us today, because Jesus was under the Law and spoke to those under the Law.
Jesus was not under the Law, and was the eternal word of God in the flesh. The earth may pass away, but His words will not.

Yet there is NO teaching of tithing after Calvary. In fact, what Paul taught contradicts tithing. But I can see you have your blinders on and I am wasting my time.

I agree with the following who all agree that tithing ended at the cross.

Tithing opponents throughout the years as compiled by Dr. David Croteau, Liberty University, You Mean I Don’t Have to Tithe?, p271-292.

Clement of Rome 100
Didache 100
Justin Martyr 165
Tertullian 230
Origen 255
Cyprian 258
Waldenses 1150+-
Thomas Aquinas 1275
John Wycliff 1384
John Huss 1415
German Peasants 1520
Anabaptists 1525
Erasmus 1536
Otto Brumfels 1534
Martin Luther 1546
Philip Melanchthon 1560
Separatists Amsterdam 1603
John Smythe 1609 Baptist
John Robinson 1610
English Parliament 1650+-
Puritans & Plgrims Mass 1650+-
John Cotton 1652 Puritan
Roger Williams 1636 Baptist
Little Parliament 1653
Oliver Cromwell 1658
John Milton 1658 Puritan
Particular Baptists 1660
John Owen 1680 Baptist
Francis Turretin 1687
John Bunyan 1688 Baptist
Quakers 1768
John Gill 1771 Baptist
John Wesley 1791
BAPTISTS IN AMERICA 1800s
Adam Clarke 1832 Baptist
Charles Buck 1833
J C Philpot 1835 Baptist
Charles H Spurgeon 1832 Baptist
Parsons Cooke 1850
Samuel Harris 1850
Edward A Lawrence 1850
John Peter Lange 1876
Henry William Clark 1891 Engllish
S H Kellogg 1891
G Campbell Morgan 1898 Congregational
Albert Vail 1913 Baptist
Frank Fox 1913
David MaConaughy 1918 Episcopal
William Pettingill 1932
John Harvey Grime 1934 Baptist
John T Mueller 1934 Lutheran
H E Dana 1937 Bapt Historian
R C H LENSKI 1946 Lutheran
Lewis Sperry Chafer 1948 DTS Foundeer
W E Vine 1949
James F Rand 1953
Francis Pieper 1953 Lutheran
Ray Stedman 1951
L L McR 1955 Catholic
Paul Leonard Stagg 1958 Baptist
Hiley H Ward 1958 Baptist
Roy T Cowles 1958
Elizabeth P Tilton 1958
R C Rein 1958 Lutheran
Robert A Baker 1959 Bapt Historian
Wick Bromall 1960
John Byron Evans 1960
Norman Tenpas 1967
James Edward Anderson 1967
Alfred Martin 1968
CHARLES C RYRIE 1969 DTS
Jerry Horner 1972 S Baptist
Pieter Verhoef 1974
Dennis Wretlind 1975
Jack J Peterson 1978 Pres
Donald Kraybill 1978
Jon Zens 1979 Baptist
Richard Cunningham 1979 S Bapt
Gary Frieson 1980
JOHN MACARTHUR 1982-2000
Paul Fink 1982
George Monroe Castillo 1982
Tony Badillo 1984
James M Boice 1986
Michael E Oliver 1986 Rest
W Clyde Tilley 1987
Scott Collier 1987
Ronald M Campbell 1987
R E O White 1988
William McDonald 1989
Charles Swindoll 1990 Dallas Seminary
Rhodes Thompson 1990
J VERNON MCGEE 1999
Jerome Smith 1992
CRAIG BLOMBERG 1993 Denver Seminary
J Duncan M Derrett 1993
Walter Kaiser Jr 1994 Gordon-Cromwell
Moises Silva 1994
Benny D Prince 1995
Brian K Morley 1996
Linda L Belleville 1996
Ron Rhodes 1997
Ernest L Martin 1997
Michael Webb 1998
R Johnston 1999
Mark Snoeberger 2000 Baptist
Stuart Murray 2000 Eng
George W Greene 2000
Old Line Primitive Baptists 2000
Jaime Cardinal Sin 2000 Cath Archbishop
RUSSELL EARL KELLY 2001 Baptist
Jonathan Kitchcart 2001
Frank Viola 2002
George Barna 2002
Michael Morrison 2002
Elliott Miller 2003
Matthew Narramore 2004
David Alan Black 2004 Baptist SEBTS
Andreas Kostenberger 2007 Baptist SEBTS
Danny Akin 2007 Baptist SEBTS
Mark Driscoll 2008
Roman Catholic Church
Jehovah’s Witnesses
New Worldwide Church of God

Well, it isn't originally part of Christianity, but was obviously adapted by some greedy pastor at some point. And then of course it became the basis for the cargo cult known as the "Prosperity Gospel" in which they ignore the standard lifted up, and instead say "Hail Nehushtan, a mere idol like any other!"

Nowhere does the Bible state that you should honour your God with your leftovers.[/B]

Jesus said that giving to the needy/poor is giving to Him. Nowhere in the scriptures does it say that giving to a corporation organized to do business as a church is giving to God.

As far as the "leftovers" comment you made - just another tactic pastors use. The actual fact is, you give to the organized church. The church then takes what is needed to pay the bills (rent or mortgage, utilities, upkeep, salaries, etc.), and then IF there is any thing leftover, the LEFTOVERS may wind up going to the needy. It is the organized church that gives the leftovers to The Lord.

In general the rule is to be a cheerful giver, to only give what you can afford UNCONDITIONALLY. If you can give your last two cents unconditionally that means more than someone who is forced to pay thousands and creates a hassle over it that isn't worth the money.
if there are conditions attached, like expectations how the church or state will use the money then DON'T give in that way, correct the problem first. With govt you can create a business, church, nonprofit or school that does the work you believe should be funded and donate or invest there and deduct from your taxes by the laws. Only give what you can do with clear conscience, not more and not less. If you are going to have uncontrolled expectations on a church, then don't give. Go give to some group doing such good work you are happy to give without condition either. Otherwise you ruin the relationship with resentment that isn't freely giving.

Last edited:

Well, it isn't originally part of Christianity, but was obviously adapted by some greedy pastor at some point. And then of course it became the basis for the cargo cult known as the "Prosperity Gospel" in which they ignore the standard lifted up, and instead say "Hail Nehushtan, a mere idol like any other!"

I went to a church today known for teaching positive attitudes to be more effective and prosperous.
Actually it's called the abundance mentality where growth attracts more growth,
investing in a business or community creates jobs and attracts resources,
as opposed to the scarcity mentality of fearing you can't afford or achieve things, so you limit yourself and compete with others in conflict and stay stuck there.
The law of attraction also compares the results of both sides, where you get back what you give in life.

Instead of the sermon today being about giving to that church
it was focused on examples of people giving to others, even when inconvenient,
including the pastor giving his new tie away to a stranger that he wanted to keep
for himself, in order to inspire a struggling man not to give up who needed it more than he did,
though he did not understand that until later.

So it was NOT about selfishly asking for funds for the physical church
but obeying God when God says to give to others at no benefit to yourself,
even examples of him and his ministers giving to others when God directed them to and turning out to be the perfect answer to prayers that God knew before they understood.

I've seen this happen to people.
My godmother lost her favorite furniture after her second husband died
and the children thought it belonged to him. instead of fighting legally
with a grieving family, she let it go. And it turned out later, that a Nigerian couple
was so impressed with her helping the community, they gave her an elaborate
expensive antique desk that was much nicer than the furniture she lost which she
had already replaced. so she got new replacements, plus this incredibly fine
stone desk out of nowhere when the Universe/God paid her back the loss she forgave.

I've also gotten bonus or overtime or extra work
right when more expenses build up that people ask
me to pay for that I shouldn't have to, but when they
need help and it is supposed to come from somewhre
sometimes it comes through me whether I want or will it or not.

So that is how the economy flows of supply and demand
and the more you open up to help others the more comes
through you to be able to do that.

BTW it is very humbling to realize that what you do for others comes back to you.
when I get help for things beyond what I thought,
It humbles me to remember the times I complained when people asked too much of
me and I gave it anyway even though I was upset and mad at them for messing up and making me pay to bail them out, did
get paid back in other ways when it was my turn to ask for too much!

Where we forgive and help each other CORRECT things (not continue the same mistakes or messes)
Life/God will provide because we are supposed to learn and of course such efforts deserve to be encouraged and rewarded if those are the right answers in life.

Last edited:

God is a capitalists and his mandate to tithe is nothing but the raising of venture capital so as to grow his cult.

"10% to God"
God is not the one driving the Bentleys in that mega church in DeKalb county and living in a 2 million dollar home.

ok.
I'll agree with just one other.
Jesus the Christ. N.T. / Rabbi / Word

You misinterpret what Jesus said.

The Holy Bible, King James Version
Matthew 23:23 (KJV)
23Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

The Holy Bible, New International Version
Matthew 23:23 (NIV)
23“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

The Living Bible
Matthew 23:23 (TLB)
23“Yes, woe upon you, Pharisees, and you other religious leaders—hypocrites! For you tithe down to the last mint leaf in your garden, but ignore the important things—justice and mercy and faith. Yes, you should tithe, but you shouldn’t leave the more important things undone.

Title: Adam Clarkes Commentary on the New Testament
Author: Clarke, Adam

These ought ye to have done, etc.—Our Lord did not object to their paying
tithe even of common pot-herbs—this did not affect the spirit of religion; but
while they did this and such like, to the utter neglect of justice, mercy, and faith,
they showed that they had no religion, and knew nothing of its nature.

Title: IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament
Author: Keener, Craig S

The principle that virtues like justice, mercy and faith are most important is
familiar from Scripture (Deut 10:12-13 see below; Mic 6:8), and the *rabbis themselves
sometimes summarized the law in terms of general principles like love. Most
Pharisees and other Jewish interpreters like Philo agreed that there were
heavier and lighter parts of the law. They would have responded to Jesus that
they attended to minutiae only because even the smallest detail of the law was
important to the pious; they taught that one should devote as much attention to
the little details as to the principles. But Jesus was not against the law (see Mt
5:19); his point is that they should have learned justice, mercy and covenant
faithfulness first (9:13; 12:7).

Deuteronomy 10:12-13 (KJV)
12And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul,
13To keep the commandments of the LORD, and his statutes, which I command thee this day for thy good?

Title: New Commentary on the Whole Bible: New Testament Volume
Author:

23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of
mint and anise [rather, “dill”] and cummin—They founded this practice on
Leviticus 27:30, which they interpreted rigidly. Our Lord purposely names the
most trifling products of the earth as examples of what they punctiliously exacted
the tenth of. and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment,
mercy, and faith—In Luke (11:42) it is “judgment, mercy and the love of
God”—the expression being probably varied by Jesus himself on the two
different occasions. In both, his reference is to Micah 6:6-8, where the prophet
makes all acceptable religion to consist of three elements—“doing justly, loving
mercy, and walking humbly with our God” (the third element presupposes and
comprehends both the “faith” of Matthew and the “love” of Luke). See Mark
12:29, 32, 33. these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other
undone—There is no need for one set of duties to preempt another; but it is to be
carefully noted that of the greater duties Jesus say, “Ye ought to have done”
them, while of the lesser he merely says, “Ye ought not to leave them undone.”

Title: The Bible Knowledge Commentary: New Testament
Author:

23:23-24. The fourth woe related to the pharisaic practice of meticulously
tithing all their possessions. They went so far as to carry the practice down to the
smallest spices from plants: mint, dill, and cummin. While meticulously
following the Law in this area (Lev. 27:30), they failed to manifest the justice,
mercy, and faithfulness demanded by the Law. They were majoring on minors,
straining out a gnat, while minoring on majors, swallowing a camel. Being so
busy with small details, they never dealt with the important matters. Jesus was
not saying tithing was unimportant; He was saying they were completely
neglecting the one area at the expense of the other. They should have been
doing both. Since they were not, they were blind guides.

Some pastors teach you tithe on “all your increase.” That is NOT Biblical. Let’s look at the scriptures.

The First Tithe is defined in Leviticus 27:30, 32. This is the tithe that supported the priesthood. The word “increase” isn’t even used.

Leviticus 27:30, 32 (KJV)
30And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD’S: it is holy unto the LORD.
32And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.

The Second Tithe is defined in Deut. 14:22.

Deuteronomy 14:22 (KJV)
22Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.

Notice it says INCREASE OF THY SEED, THAT THE FIELD BRINGETH FORTH. Doesn’t say all increase from all sources. It is specific.

The Third Tithe, which was brought every three years is defined in Deut. 14:28.

Deuteronomy 14:28 (KJV)
28At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:

Notice that ONLY in the 3-year tithe does the KJV use “thine increase.” If you continue, you see that “thine increase” is to be EATEN. Now let’s look at some other versions of the Bible:

Deuteronomy 14:28 (NKJV)
28“At the end of every third year you shall bring out the tithe of your produce of that year and store it up within your gates.

Deuteronomy 14:28 (RSV)
28“At the end of every three years you shall bring forth all the tithe of your produce in the same year, and lay it up within your towns;

Deuteronomy 14:28 (NASB)
28“At the end of every third year you shall bring out all the tithe of your produce in that year, and shall deposit it in your town.

Deuteronomy 14:28 (NRSV)
28Every third year you shall bring out the full tithe of your produce for that year, and store it within your towns;

To say the scriptures teach one should tithe from all increase, or all their increase is manipulating others by adding to the scriptures and teaching it as being Biblical.

Last edited:
"I would often go by myself to Jerusalem on religious holidays, as the Law commanded for every Israelite for all time. I would hurry off to Jerusalem and take with me the early produce of my crops, a tenth of my flocks, and the first portion of the wool cut from my sheep. I would present these things at the altar to the priests, the descendants of Aaron. I would give the first tenth of my grain, wine, olive oil, pomegranates, figs, and other fruit to the Levites who served in Jerusalem. For six out of seven years, I also brought the cash equivalent of the second tenth of these crops to Jerusalem where I would spend it every year. I gave this to orphans and widows, and to Gentiles who had joined Israel. In the third year, when I brought and gave it to them, we would eat together according to the instruction recorded in Moses’ Law, as Deborah my grandmother had taught me..."
—Tobias

Stooopid Deborah. ;)

ok.
I'll agree with just one other.
Jesus the Christ. N.T. / Rabbi / Word

You misinterpret what Jesus said.

Matthew 23:23 (KJV)
23Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

The Holy Bible, New International Version
Matthew 23:23 (NIV)
23“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

The Living Bible
Matthew 23:23 (TLB)
23“Yes, woe upon you, Pharisees, and you other religious leaders—hypocrites! For you tithe down to the last mint leaf in your garden, but ignore the important things—justice and mercy and faith. Yes, you should tithe, but you shouldn’t leave the more important things undone.

Title: Adam Clarkes Commentary on the New Testament
Author: Clarke, Adam

These ought ye to have done, etc.—Our Lord did not object to their paying
tithe even of common pot-herbs—this did not affect the spirit of religion; but
while they did this and such like, to the utter neglect of justice, mercy, and faith,
they showed that they had no religion, and knew nothing of its nature.

Title: IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament
Author: Keener, Craig S

The principle that virtues like justice, mercy and faith are most important is
familiar from Scripture (Deut 10:12-13 see below; Mic 6:8), and the *rabbis themselves
sometimes summarized the law in terms of general principles like love. Most
Pharisees and other Jewish interpreters like Philo agreed that there were
heavier and lighter parts of the law. They would have responded to Jesus that
they attended to minutiae only because even the smallest detail of the law was
important to the pious; they taught that one should devote as much attention to
the little details as to the principles. But Jesus was not against the law (see Mt
5:19); his point is that they should have learned justice, mercy and covenant
faithfulness first (9:13; 12:7).

Deuteronomy 10:12-13 (KJV)
12And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul,
13To keep the commandments of the LORD, and his statutes, which I command thee this day for thy good?

Title: New Commentary on the Whole Bible: New Testament Volume
Author:

23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of
mint and anise [rather, “dill”] and cummin—They founded this practice on
Leviticus 27:30, which they interpreted rigidly. Our Lord purposely names the
most trifling products of the earth as examples of what they punctiliously exacted
the tenth of. and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment,
mercy, and faith—In Luke (11:42) it is “judgment, mercy and the love of
God”—the expression being probably varied by Jesus himself on the two
different occasions. In both, his reference is to Micah 6:6-8, where the prophet
makes all acceptable religion to consist of three elements—“doing justly, loving
mercy, and walking humbly with our God” (the third element presupposes and
comprehends both the “faith” of Matthew and the “love” of Luke). See Mark
12:29, 32, 33. these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other
undone—There is no need for one set of duties to preempt another; but it is to be
carefully noted that of the greater duties Jesus say, “Ye ought to have done”
them, while of the lesser he merely says, “Ye ought not to leave them undone.”

Title: The Bible Knowledge Commentary: New Testament
Author:

23:23-24. The fourth woe related to the pharisaic practice of meticulously
tithing all their possessions. They went so far as to carry the practice down to the
smallest spices from plants: mint, dill, and cummin. While meticulously
following the Law in this area (Lev. 27:30), they failed to manifest the justice,
mercy, and faithfulness demanded by the Law. They were majoring on minors,
straining out a gnat, while minoring on majors, swallowing a camel. Being so
busy with small details, they never dealt with the important matters. Jesus was
not saying tithing was unimportant; He was saying they were completely
neglecting the one area at the expense of the other. They should have been
doing both. Since they were not, they were blind guides.

WTF does Jesus have to do with Wiley Jackson and his millions?

Forum List

Back