DoD Leave for Same-Sex Marriage

SFC Ollie

Still Marching
Oct 21, 2009
Extreme East Ohio
yep you read it right..........

But the title doesn't tell it all. Many of us have said they don't want equal rights but special rights...there it is...Gays will be given FREE leave time to get married....

Any of you veterans ever gotten free leave time to get married? I got 5 days after completing BNOC. And i got 15 days for moving at retirement time. But i had to drive from Georgia to Missouri to get married on my own leave time...... And had i asked for Administrative leave for it i would have been laughed at.... But here we go, our pussified military is taking another step downward.

DoD Leave for Same-Sex Marriage Criticized | Military.com

I'm so glad I'm retired..... And yes I'll be sending out emails to all the normal congress critters, the White house, VP , Chief of Staff, and Sergeant Major of the Army.......

And I understand that my little rant will piss off some people...too bad.....

This is the thread you suggested would get you a lot of neg reps? :)

It should get you a medal.

There has always been the eternal same old same old personal beliefs thing that has always existed between those who believe homosexuality is a sin, those who believe homosexuality is a choice, those who believe homosexuality is a biological anomaly of nature, and those who believe homosexuality is just one of the natural conditions of humankind just as heterosexuality is. No amount of self righteous indignation, finger pointing, and personal judgments will likely ever change that.

Same sex marriage is mostly controversial only because it does change the rules and does change definitions. And the arguments there have always been based on the tug of war between equal rights and special rights.

Seems like the special rights won out in this one.

But the title doesn't tell it all. Many of us have said they don't want equal rights but special rights...there it is...Gays will be given FREE leave time to get married....

Any of you veterans ever gotten free leave time to get married? I got 5 days after completing BNOC. And i got 15 days for moving at retirement time. But i had to drive from Georgia to Missouri to get married on my own leave time...... And had i asked for Administrative leave for it i would have been laughed at.... But here we go, our pussified military is taking another step downward.

I'm so glad I'm retired..... And yes I'll be sending out emails to all the normal congress critters, the White house, VP , Chief of Staff, and Sergeant Major of the Army.......

I'm pro-gay marriage but don't agree with this. It'd be fine if they give both straight and gay couple the active leave... but just gay?

Not too fair...

It'll be interesting to see how the "gays don't want special rights" crowd justifies this granting of special rights.

Ooooh! Ooooh! I know! "Gays have to stay and work while the straight troops took leave to get married, so they deserve the free time off!!"

I have not in the 12 years, some odd months I served, in 2 branches, ever heard of any free leave but red cross notification family death leave.

I have no idea why they would do something this arbitrary, the marines and army had the same old screwy saying too; if they wanted you to have a wife they would have issued you one...;):lol:

This is BS.

I'm pro-gay marriage but don't agree with this. It'd be fine if they give both straight and gay couple the active leave... but just gay?

Not too fair...

bingo, if they give it too both, we don't have an argument.

No reason to get pissed off given what I am reading here.

Gay servicemembers aren’t guaranteed the full seven or 10 days off. Christensen said decisions on the amount of time granted will be made by their commanders, who will decide based on unit responsibilities and an individual’s personal situation.

The uncharged leave is for “traveling to a jurisdiction where [a same-sex] marriage may occur,” not for a wedding vacation, Christensen said.

Advocates noted that the military is offering uncharged leave, not travel stipends or any way to cover the costs of potentially lengthy trips.

“We don’t want the country at large to think that these couples are getting special treatment,” said Mark Mazzone, spokesman for the military LGBT advocacy group SPART*A. “There will still be expenses and difficulties, but we feel like (the uncharged leave) is a fair compromise.”

As soon as gay marriage is legal nationwide this would no longer be necessary. My recollection is that the military makes travel arrangements on a case by case basis. This seems to be one of those instances unless I am missing something.

Not too fair...

They most probably already do. If someone who was stationed in Guam wanted to get married back in Maine his CO would probably extend him the same travel time irrespective of the genders of the parties involved.

Not too fair...

They most probably already do. If someone who was stationed in Guam wanted to get married back in Maine his CO would probably extend him the same travel time irrespective of the genders of the parties involved.

Still, both Gay and Straight couples should be treated the same with regards to actual written rules. Why should they be different?

Not too fair...

well, you don't know that and why is it even being discussed? ;)

I was out in 90, maybe things have changed, *shrugs* I never got anything but the days I had, if I went back to NYC the day I left was day 1 of my leave time, the clock started, there was no travel time exemption....I don't recall my co or anyone ( me included when I reviewed them as Platoon sgt.) granting travel time exemptions....this is completely foreign to me.

150451_589618654382382_1666868938_n_zps6c3f277a.jpg

408988_590525070958407_1950229852_n_zps8eb376fd.jpg

Score one more for the queers, none for the heteros.

Yeah, but they don't have an AGENDA either... pfft... :eusa_hand:

Still, both Gay and Straight couples should be treated the same with regards to actual written rules. Why should they be different?

Agreed!

I'm so glad I'm retired..... And yes I'll be sending out emails to all the normal congress critters, the White house, VP , Chief of Staff, and Sergeant Major of the Army...
Yeah I'm sure that'll have a HUGE impact!

"Oh here's another anti-gay marriage e-mail, I'll just delete it real quick... oh wait a minute, OMG this is from a Retired SFC! Alert the Press! Get the President on the phone NOW!" :lol:

Dang. Just getting regular leave always seemed a hassle for me. I will say that the Army came through when my Dad was dying. I was on border patrol in Germany and they sent a chopper to snatch me up and take me back to Bad Kissingen, then to Frankfurt. Plane tickets were already arranged. Hate to see they're using the military for social experiments. Glad I'm retired too Ollie.

well, you don't know that and why is it even being discussed? ;)

I was out in 90, maybe things have changed, *shrugs* I never got anything but the days I had, if I went back to NYC the day I left was day 1 of my leave time, the clock started, there was no travel time exemption....I don't recall my co or anyone ( me included when I reviewed them as Platoon sgt.) granting travel time exemptions....this is completely foreign to me.

Yup. It is likely foreign to anybody who is not in or associated with those in the military.

Currently our servicemen and women receive 2-1/2 days leave per month served on active duty or 30 days leave per year which is a very generous vacation package. They can carry over unused days to a maximum of I think 70 days at which time any additional days accrued will be forfeited. If they are willing to be on duty for some of the time they have accrued, they CAN sell unused leave time back to the government, however.

In addition, emergency leave can be granted in extreme emergencies such as:
•The member’s presence contributes to the welfare of a dying member of his or her immediate family or spouse’s family.
•There has been a verified death in the member’s immediate family or the spouse’s immediate family.
•There has been an injury, major surgery, or serious illness in the member’s immediate family or the spouse’s immediate family resulting in a serious problem only the member can resolve.
•A natural disaster such as a flood, hurricane, or tornado occurred that affected the member personally.

The member may not request emergency leave for reasons such as normal pregnancy of a spouse, birth of a child, care of children during a spouse’s illness, or resolution of marital or financial problems, or to attend special celebrations such as baptisms, bar mitzvahs, award ceremonies, weddings etc.; however, the member may request permission to use some of his accrued leave time for such purposes. It will be up to his commanding officer whether he can be relieved of his/herassigned duties at the time requested.

So if gay people are getting uncharged leave time to get married, a privilege not extended to straight people, that indeed is a special right.

Last edited:

Not too fair...

No, he wouldn't. The member doesn't get free leave. He has to take leave he's already accrued or take advance leave, which is the leave he will accrue between the application for leave and his expected separation date.

Forum List

Back