Does $500 per child mean $500 per dependent?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
The emergency relief plan includes a $500 per child provision. I can't find anything that defines 'child' but I assume that means any tax defined dependent which should include adult dependents. I know many people who are caring for an elderly parent or an adult son or daughter who could sure use some extra money.

The emergency relief plan includes a $500 per child provision. I can't find anything that defines 'child' but I assume that means any tax defined dependent which should include adult dependents. I know many people who are caring for an elderly parent or an adult son or daughter who could sure use some extra money.
I assume I means minor dependent. " Every adult gets a check" would seem to include adult dependents...?

I can’t find anything on it specifically, but it does say a $1000 per adult, so if they are 18 and above, it sounds like they would get $1000.

This morning I read that the plan is now to only give it to people on unemployment. So the self employed and those with seriously cut hours (like me) are out of luck.

This morning I read that the plan is now to only give it to people on unemployment. So the self employed and those with seriously cut hours (like me) are out of luck.
Who knows. This is what happens when the president talks out of his ass. No doubt his staff heard the news for the first time when we did.

Link?
Here is what has been reported this morning-
McConnell outlined the four objectives of the Senate Republican plan:
  • Address the demands of "individuals and families as quickly as possible"
  • Deliver relief to small businesses
  • Bring stability to the economy and "prevent as many layoffs as possible"
  • Rush resources to frontline healthcare workers and providers
Schumer: Democrats want 'a paycheck every month' for Americans
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/03/21/senate-still-negotiating-stimulus-deal-coronavirus-spread-worsens/2890730001/

The GOP plan aims to pump billions into $1,200 direct checks to Americans and billions to small businesses to pay idled workers during the global pandemic.
Stimulus checks: Congress, White House race to draft $1 trillion coronavirus rescue package

I found this, not for sure how reliable he is, but it was posted this morning. He says those on ssi or ss, if not working would get $600 each.

Link?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/03/21/senate-still-negotiating-stimulus-deal-coronavirus-spread-worsens/2890730001/

The GOP plan aims to pump billions into $1,200 direct checks to Americans and billions to small businesses to pay idled workers during the global pandemic.
Stimulus checks: Congress, White House race to draft $1 trillion coronavirus rescue package
I read it on here somewhere. A GOP senator, can't remember his name, has introduced it.

Giving people cash is a horrible idea. I would much rather see a government backed voucher program that could be redeemed for very specific things like food and medicine.

If you’ve been working a steady job and suddenly your income stops and you have no savings, there is a very good chance you don’t manage money well. I don’t want that guy getting $1000 to spend how he wants.

Link?

I read it on here somewhere. A GOP senator, can't remember his name, has introduced it.
I searched the forum under the word unemployment for the last fews days and found nothing, nor any article stating such. Can you try to find it again?

I think so -- yes

but the final bill has not been finalized or agreed to yet

I will be shocked if it does not include any "dependent" you actually claim on taxes

my 20 yr old is a junior at Auburn, we claim him on taxes

we will likely claim him for an extra $500 and will not let him claim his own cash (the tax advantage of 2 more years with him as a dependent is greater than an extra $500 right now)

I doubt that is how it shakes out

I don’t want that guy getting $1000 to spend how he wants.
Why not? He is not shooting it into space. It still goes back into the economy.

I understand your point, but you’re missing mine. That money is not going BACK into the economy. It’s new money in the form of government debt. Not that there is a single person in DC who gives a shit about the debt at this point, but do we really want to crease the debt by enabling some yahoo to buy chips and beer?

Forum List

Back