Doesn't inflation deal with what happened after the Big Bang, rather then before?
Inflation is the quantum tunneling event where all the matter and energy in the universe was created. Then the universe began to expand and cool. The phrase Big Bang is the initial expansion.

But no, not after. Before. Inflation is a very short lived event. Not to be confused with the expansion of the universe.

Well, some further reading shows that the timing is often presented in a contradictory fashion; some places show inflation as immediately after the Big Bang, some immediately prior. In neither case, however, do I see anything indicating that inflation shows matter and energy being created. From my reading of the concept, it is about the extremely rapid expansion of the universe either immediately after or immediately before the BB, not about how the energy that was expanding came into being. I could well be missing things, however; do you have any links I might go to where it explains how inflation describes the creation of the energy of the universe?

Nothing in that discussion indicates that cosmic inflation describes the creation of the energy of the universe, at least not that I could tell. :dunno:

Click on Vilenkin's interview.

Did our Universe have a Beginning? | Closer to Truth

There are no interviews from people who were at the beginning.

Inflation is the quantum tunneling event where all the matter and energy in the universe was created. Then the universe began to expand and cool. The phrase Big Bang is the initial expansion.

But no, not after. Before. Inflation is a very short lived event. Not to be confused with the expansion of the universe.

Well, some further reading shows that the timing is often presented in a contradictory fashion; some places show inflation as immediately after the Big Bang, some immediately prior. In neither case, however, do I see anything indicating that inflation shows matter and energy being created. From my reading of the concept, it is about the extremely rapid expansion of the universe either immediately after or immediately before the BB, not about how the energy that was expanding came into being. I could well be missing things, however; do you have any links I might go to where it explains how inflation describes the creation of the energy of the universe?

Nothing in that discussion indicates that cosmic inflation describes the creation of the energy of the universe, at least not that I could tell. :dunno:

You would ignore what a world renowned physicist has to say on the subject.

You missed the word theory...…………………

I have a theory that you are mentally not more then 12 years old, no matter how many calendar years you have

You are also a follower, you do not think on your own. You will never be at the helm, of anything

I have a theory that you are mentally not more then 12 years old, no matter how many calendar years you have

You are also a follower, you do not think on your own. You will never be at the helm, of anything

Did you listen to Vilinken's interview?

Did you hear the language he used?

No need, listening to liberal college professors telling their numbnut students that they know where everything came from when neither they or you can tell me whats in my pants pocket now is idiocy.

You do not think, you listen and believe

If you can tell me what's in my pocket I will listen. But if you can't do that, listening to babbles about the beginning of time is a waste of time

No need, listening to liberal college professors telling their numbnut students that they know where everything came from when neither they or you can tell me whats in my pants pocket now is idiocy.

If you can tell me what's in my pocket I will listen. But if you can't do that, listening to babbles about the beginning of time is a waste of time
Wow. You are amazing. You do not even know that you are ignorant.

Says the middle school student who knows everything

So do you believe that would qualify as a miracle?

There are no scared truths in science, Ding. There are only more questions to be asked.
Is that a no then? You don't believe the creation of space and time would be considered a miracle?
Space and time was created for the children. The eternal spirit over, in an above all has no such limitation. In that humans without the spirit to show them they cannot discern what was yesterday, today or tomorrow when the spirit manifest to a place where a human can see it. With such a limited knowledge of that unlimited ultimate spirit we call it miraculous when something does manifest for us to see.

Let's see... you stated that Einstein was wrong and that Alexander Vilenkin is a liberal college professor.

You did so without providing any basis for that belief.

Let's see... you stated that Einstein was wrong and that Alexander Vilenkin is a liberal college professor.

I know that my understanding of the beginning of time is equal to everyone else's.

Because no one knows

And I do not recognize your idol, nor care too

I know that my understanding of the beginning of time is equal to everyone else's.

Because no one knows

No. It isn't.

You don't understand it at all.

Tell me what your understanding is.

Last edited:

Because no one knows

No. It isn't.

Tell me what your understand is.
Kid you do not comprehend that theoretical physics is not fact.

Theory

a : a hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation

b : an unproved assumption : conjecture

Because no one knows

No. It isn't.

Theory

Kid?

I'm 57 and have been a practicing engineer for over 30 years. I have forgotten more science than you have ever known.

Tell me what your understanding is for the beginning of space and time. You can't, because you have no understanding of it. I do and can.

Because no one knows

No. It isn't.

Theory

Kid?

I'm 57 and have been a practicing engineer for over 30 years. I have forgotten more science than you have ever known.

Tell me what your understanding is for the beginning of space and time. You can't, because you have no understanding of it. I do and can.

There is no understanding of the beginning of space and time. In fact both at the present time elude definition. You are relating theories as fact. I will relate a fact, dementia often begins in the 50's

Because no one knows

No. It isn't.

Theory

Kid?

There is no understanding of the beginning of space and time. In fact both at the present time elude definition. You are relating theories as fact. I will relate a fact, dementia often begins in the 50's
CERN says otherwise. You do know what CERN is, right?

Origins: CERN: Ideas: The Big Bang | Exploratorium

"...According to most astrophysicists, all the matter found in the universe today -- including the matter in people, plants, animals, the earth, stars, and galaxies -- was created at the very first moment of time, thought to be about 13 billion years ago.

The universe began, scientists believe, with every speck of its energy jammed into a very tiny point. This extremely dense point exploded with unimaginable force, creating matter and propelling it outward to make the billions of galaxies of our vast universe. Astrophysicists dubbed this titanic explosion the Big Bang...

How do we know the Big Bang happened?

Astrophysicists have uncovered a great deal of compelling evidence over the past hundred years to support the Big Bang theory. Among this evidence is the observation that the universe is expanding. By looking at light emitted by distant galaxies, scientists have found that these galaxies are rapidly moving away from our galaxy, the Milky Way. An explosion like the Big Bang, which sent matter flying outward from a point, explains this observation.

Another critical discovery was the observation of low levels of microwaves throughout space. Astronomers believe these microwaves, whose temperature is about -270 degrees Celsius, are the remnants of the extremely high-temperature radiation produced by the Big Bang."

Doesn't inflation deal with what happened after the Big Bang, rather then before?

Vilenkin pretty clearly states that the idea of the universe appearing spontaneously is NOT part of inflation. He points out that inflation has the same problem as the Big Bang, the question of what came before...that question is answered by the spontaneous appearance of the universe, not inflation.

It's a minor point, really. I have searched about inflation and everything I've seen on it says that inflation deals with the extremely rapid expansion of the universe prior to the more gradual expansion that has occurred since. It is separate from the creation of the universe, even if it does deal with what are believed to be the first moments of the universe's existence.

Vilenkin pretty clearly states that the idea of the universe appearing spontaneously is NOT part of inflation. He points out that inflation has the same problem as the Big Bang, the question of what came before...that question is answered by the spontaneous appearance of the universe, not inflation.

It's a minor point, really. I have searched about inflation and everything I've seen on it says that inflation deals with the extremely rapid expansion of the universe prior to the more gradual expansion that has occurred since. It is separate from the creation of the universe, even if it does deal with what are believed to be the first moments of the universe's existence.

I don't know what you heard, can you tell me in your own words what you thought he said?

I wonder if you did, actually. Vilenkin says that the idea of a spontaneously created universe suggests that the laws which govern its creation existed prior. He certainly does not state it as any sort of indisputable fact, as you have done in this thread. Do you not believe Vilenkin? :p

The Inflation Theory, developed by Alan Guth, Andrei Linde, Paul Steinhardt, and Andy Albrecht, offers solutions to these problems and several other open questions in cosmology. It proposes a period of extremely rapid (exponential) expansion of the universe prior to the more gradual Big Bang expansion, during which time the energy density of the universe was dominated by a cosmological constant-type of vacuum energy that later decayed to produce the matter and radiation that fill the universe today.

WMAP Inflation Theory

Forum List

Back