Does the USA have a problem with its prison population?

buddhallah_the_christ

Dec 4, 2014
The incarceration rate of the United States of America was the highest in the world, at 716 per 100,000 of the national population. While the United States represents about 5 percent of the world's population, it houses around 25 percent of the world's prisoners.

some links on this issue
Map 16 states have more people in prisons and jails than college housing - Vox

California Spending More On Prisons Than Colleges Report Says

The U.S. has more jails than colleges. Here 8217 s a map of where those prisoners live. - The Washington Post

We do have a problem with our prison population. 12 % of the population makes up 40% of the US prison population. While some of the imbalance is due to ineffective legal representation, the vast majority is due to the fact that that 12% is 6 times as likely to commit a violent offense as their 72% counterpart.

Yes. Its barbaric and unjust.

As long as its for-profit, people will get disproportionately long sentences.

As long as one's defense depends on the amount of money you have to spend, poor people will get disproportionately long sentences.

Even minor offenses can get solitary confinement for extended periods.

Yes. Its barbaric and unjust.

As long as its for-profit, people will get disproportionately long sentences.

As long as one's defense depends on the amount of money you have to spend, poor people will get disproportionately long sentences.

Even minor offenses can get solitary confinement for extended periods.
Should everyone get a Beemer? Or do we really expect the best when someone else is footing the bill?

Hint for you, fuddley: If you want quality legal representation, stay in school and out of jail and keep your dick in your pants so you can afford it.

12 % of the population makes up 40% of the US prison population.

Ok...wut?
I thought an enlightened Liberal would be able to figure that out. Sorry.
If 12 percent of the population makes up 40 percent of the US prison population, what makes up the other 60 percent of the US prison population?

Dogs? Furniture?
Whites and Hispanics, of course. Are you really sentient?

12 percent of US population: 37,276,800

US prison population: 2,266,832.

Ok...wut?
If 12 percent of the population makes up 40 percent of the US prison population, what makes up the other 60 percent of the US prison population?

Dogs? Furniture?
Ah. So in English, what you are saying is that Hispanics make up 12 percent of the US population, but make up 40 percent of the prison population, and are therefore over-represented in our prisons.

What do you believe is the cause of this? Why do you think Hispanics are 6 times more likely to be convicted of a crime?

I am stipulating all of your numbers are correct.

The incarceration rate of the United States of America was the highest in the world, at 716 per 100,000 of the national population. While the United States represents about 5 percent of the world's population, it houses around 25 percent of the world's prisoners.

some links on this issue
Map 16 states have more people in prisons and jails than college housing - Vox

California Spending More On Prisons Than Colleges Report Says

The U.S. has more jails than colleges. Here 8217 s a map of where those prisoners live. - The Washington Post
It's a money maker. Prisons and jails are cash cows, bringing in enormous amounts of dollars. Just like quota tickets and BS fines. It's all a racket. We have a system of injustice as opposed to one of justice. We have many innocent citizens in our prisons and jails.

Ok...wut?

Dogs? Furniture?
Ah. So in English, what you are saying is that Hispanics make up 12 percent of the US population, but make up 40 percent of the prison population, and are therefore over-represented in our prisons.

What do you believe is the cause of this?
No, stupid. You've answered my question. Next time, just say "No".

What percentage of prison inmates are there for drug related convictions?

No, stupid. You've answered my question. Next time, just say "No".

Stipulating all your figures are accurate, why do you think Hispanics are 6 times more likely to be convicted of a crime?

Ah. I see now. Ernie is saying it is BLACKS who are 40 percent of the prison population.

This kind of confusion is what happens when someone does not speak in whole sentences.

So, Ernie, what special characteristic do you think makes blacks end up in prison more than everyone else?

Forum List

Back