Does "too much money" invariably corrupt?

nomadic5

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2022
I tend to think so.

Even Trump, a person I have often thought of (still do) as Best President Since Reagan, is a little "off" at times and maybe it's because he has so much money. For contrast purposes, homeless people generally are pretty humble. But then there is the middle class who is of course in the middle, not rich or in dire poverty.

Well, I think most of us who grew up middle class and never got to be wealthy would say that there is something a little weird about all or at least most super-wealthy people.

2 words seem to suffice to make my point

Bill Gates

(and there are others)

No, it is the quest for money that corrupts.
most people who have a lot of money went on a quest for it. Why can't it be both?

I think of that Murdaugh guy.

Someone on cnn (Fox or Newsmax or the Blaze weren't available to me at that time) said some weird thing like

To Murdaugh maybe it was like sex (all his ripping people off).

I'm thinking: Projection, anyone?

So I'm thinking

When it's not all about political power with the left (and when is it not?) it is about sex.

despicable

I tend to think so.

Even Trump, a person I have often thought of (still do) as Best President Since Reagan, is a little "off" at times and maybe it's because he has so much money. For contrast purposes, homeless people generally are pretty humble. But then there is the middle class who is of course in the middle, not rich or in dire poverty.

Well, I think most of us who grew up middle class and never got to be wealthy would say that there is something a little weird about all or at least most super-wealthy people.

Bill Gates

(and there are others)

I'm not convinced that Trump is corrupt. He was the best choice because being wealthy, he couldn't be easily-corrupted. Even though he probably had many opportunities, Trump didn't use his office for monetary gain, as many have done in the past. In fact, his wealth actually decreased during the time he served, unlike so many politicians who seemed to amass quite a bit of wealth while they occupied an office.

I'm not convinced that Trump is corrupt. He was the best choice because being wealthy, he couldn't be easily-corrupted. Even though he probably had many opportunities, Trump didn't use his office for monetary gain, as many have done in the past. In fact, his wealth actually decreased during the time he served, unlike so many politicians who seemed to amass quite a bit of wealth while they occupied an office.
I apologize sincerely. I did not mean to imply that Trump was corrupt in the usual sense of the word. I was lumping all corruption into one word/concept. I was including such things as: hubris, egoism and etc. To me, that is a form of corruption, but I should have made a distinction.

No, I have not seen any corruption in Trump's life, to speak of. Maybe he exaggerated on those forms he had to fill out to get funding from some bank. God knows, but other than that, I haven't seen anything. The left never have a damn thing but refuse to give up.

The dude (Trump) thinks a lot of himself, but hey----why shouldn't he? And it is true that if his father had not become a millionaire... if his father had been a bum, Trump would not exist. So I do think that rich people take their wealth and how they got it for granted. And that is a form of moral imperfection (corruption) IMO

I particularly like this part of Galt's post about Trump

"his wealth actually decreased during the time he served, unlike so many politicians who seemed to amass quite a bit of wealth while they occupied an office."

Trump did not receive pay for being president, I have heard. I have heard this from reliable sources and more than just one news outlet

And most people in politics in DC make HUGE sums, a lot of it on insider trading which is supposed to be ILLEGAL. They also make huge sums off foreign countries.

But they just get away with stuff, those privileged politicians :mad:

I tend to think so.

Bill Gates

(and there are others)
There are wonderful exceptions like Andrew Carnegie who gave away over 90% of his wealth by the end of his life. I'm paraphrasing, but he often said any man who dies wealthy is a failure. For the most part, great wealth corrupts because most people succumb to the power and prestige it brings.

I apologize sincerely. I did not mean to imply that Trump was corrupt in the usual sense of the word. I was lumping all corruption into one word/concept. I was including such things as: hubris, egoism and etc. To me, that is a form of corruption, but I should have made a distinction.

No, I have not seen any corruption in Trump's life, to speak of. Maybe he exaggerated on those forms he had to fill out to get funding from some bank. God knows, but other than that, I haven't seen anything. The left never have a damn thing but refuse to give up.

The dude (Trump) thinks a lot of himself, but hey----why shouldn't he? And it is true that if his father had not become a millionaire... if his father had been a bum, Trump would not exist. So I do think that rich people take their wealth and how they got it for granted. And that is a form of moral imperfection (corruption) IMO

I'm just shocked the USMB libs haven't jumped all over my post. I thought for sure they'd come up with something to hammer Trump with.

Maybe they're just sleeping. :laughing0301:

I'm just shocked the USMB libs haven't jumped all over my post. I thought for sure they'd come up with something to hammer Trump with.

Maybe they're just sleeping. :laughing0301:
you mean the one just above us where you say Trump is not corrupt?

I have been wondering something. Maybe you can help me out.

Are libs taking over all the mod positions? I mean, I don't know. Maybe I'm just paranoid?

Oh wait. I have to apologize again! sigh

I thought you were talking about the mods here but u are just talking about the libs.

whew (I think)

There are wonderful exceptions like Andrew Carnegie who gave away over 90% of his wealth by the end of his life. I'm paraphrasing, but he often said any man who dies wealthy is a failure. For the most part, great wealth corrupts because most people succumb to the power and prestige it brings.

I was thinking the Koch Brothers. They got hammered pretty hard back in 2010, even though they have given nearly $200 million to support diverse causes nationwide including science and medical research, education, the arts, and more.

I had forgotten about Carnegie, although I didn't realize he had given away THAT much.

He is absolutely correct, that the one who dies wealthy is a failure. There are so many unfortunates in the world who can use some $$ help.

I wonder if Carnegie found Jesus?

you mean the one just above us where you say Trump is not corrupt?

I have been wondering something. Maybe you can help me out.

Are libs taking over all the mod positions? I mean, I don't know. Maybe I'm just paranoid?

Oh wait. I have to apologize again! sigh

I thought you were talking about the mods here but u are just talking about the libs.

whew (I think)

Most of the moderators have leaned toward the left. A couple of them are ok, as well as some of the former mods.

I was thinking the Koch Brothers. They got hammered pretty hard back in 2010, even though they have given nearly $200 million to support diverse causes nationwide including science and medical research, education, the arts, and more.
but didn't they turn on Trump?

Most of the moderators have leaned toward the left. A couple of them are ok, as well as some of the former mods.
lean left?

you mean there are such creatures?

When I think of leftist or even "lean left" I think of extremists.

I had forgotten about Carnegie, although I didn't realize he had given away THAT much.

He is absolutely correct, that the one who dies wealthy is a failure. There are so many unfortunates in the world who can use some $$ help.

I wonder if Carnegie found Jesus?
Not sure about that, but I think the horrible wars of that era had a profound impact on him and he was dedicated to world peace.

Not sure about that, but I think the horrible wars of that era had a profound impact on him and he was dedicated to world peace.
speaking for myself, I wasn't a very giving or loving person until I found Jesus. Part of the problem was that I didn't come from a very loving family, to put it mildly. In my family of origin, to cry meant you were weak. But everyone cries at one point in life or another so I find that unrealistic and maybe an excuse to ignore certain "weaker" members of the family.

Anyhow, once I found the love of Christ, meaning His love for ME, someone who often felt very unlovable, well... I was finally able to love others. You can't give what you don't have.

Forum List

Back