Does welfare make people lazy?

Can you point to any data indicating that reducing welfare makes people more likely to get a job?

If there are currently three candidates right now for every job opening, what makes you think a welfare candidate would get that job?

No, this is all about gut feelings with them. No facts or data will change their minds.

For example: They say that welfare makes people not want to find a job. Then when you show them the majority of people on welfare are the WORKING poor....meaning they have a job. The right shrugs and says it again as if facts dont matter

It's because they get vastly more with a pathetic job when adding in a never ending welfare due toi having that bullshit job.

This is why I can't be a liberal, you hate science, you hate logic, you hate reality.

Take any animal, feed it, shelter it... It gets lazy, it becomes "dependent." Do you disagree with this statement? Do you think humans are not animals?

Why do you ignore facts and opt instead for Aesop fables about animals?

Fact - majority of welfare recipients work.

No, this is all about gut feelings with them. No facts or data will change their minds.

For example: They say that welfare makes people not want to find a job. Then when you show them the majority of people on welfare are the WORKING poor....meaning they have a job. The right shrugs and says it again as if facts dont matter

It's because they get vastly more with a pathetic job when adding in a never ending welfare due toi having that bullshit job.

This is why I can't be a liberal, you hate science, you hate logic, you hate reality.

Take any animal, feed it, shelter it... It gets lazy, it becomes "dependent." Do you disagree with this statement? Do you think humans are not animals?

the only one ignoring facts is you idiot. i doubt you know any of the people on welfare or other programs you feel you are defending here

Thanks for proving my point... They work just enough to keep them on welfare, it's the logical thing to do....

Fucking seriously, the democratic party is now the party of stupid.

Does welfare make people lazy? - The Week

The best way to measure whether the unemployed are behaving lazily is by examining the ratio of job seekers to job openings. If the problem is that unemployed people are slacking off work to enjoy the fruits of government welfare, we would expect to see a shortage of labor in the economy. Employers trying to recruit workers to expand their businesses would come up against the fact that job seekers are in short supply. Job vacancies would go unfilled and wages would be bid upward as businesses fight to recruit scarce labor away from the easy option of free welfare money. In such a scenario, cutting welfare would incentivize work, and help businesses fill vacancies.

And here is where the evidence undercuts conservative attacks on welfare. The data shows decisively that the problem is not laziness at all, but a lack of job openings. There are still three jobseekers for every job opening. In the dark days following the 2008 recession, that ratio was as high as seven people for every job opening. Wage growth remains weak. Surely there are still people who would rather claim welfare than try to work, but with so few jobs available, these people don't make a real difference. Trying to nudge them off welfare won't expand the supply of jobs. It would increase the number of people looking for a job — and remember, there are already not enough jobs for those seeking employment

ur right leftard; every penny of the welfare is justified; obama is such a failure there isno way welfare and unemployment can be cut back from where it is now; at the RECORD, EMERGENCY LEVELS set at the end of the Bush years left-wing losers keep whining about.

Huh?

Sent from my iPhone using the tears of Raider's fans.

Thanks for proving my point... They work just enough to keep them on welfare, it's the logical thing to do....

Link

Can you point to any data indicating that reducing welfare makes people more likely to get a job?

If there are currently three candidates right now for every job opening, what makes you think a welfare candidate would get that job?

you are an idiot; pure and simple; if the majority on welfare are working; then according to you one can work and be on welfare; how in the fuck is that fair to people who work and dont get welfare?

and they apparently arent working enough to pass a line that makes them ineligible to collect welfare; which makes the case for the other side you idiot. you think people are too stupid to do some simple math; and keep their hours just under what would end the flow of goodies

in your smug arrogant attempt to accuse others of not thinking you revealed you dont

Huh?

Can you explain how your logic of "Welfare is a disincentive to work" translates to "Welfare recipients work."?

Does welfare make people lazy? - The Week

The best way to measure whether the unemployed are behaving lazily is by examining the ratio of job seekers to job openings. If the problem is that unemployed people are slacking off work to enjoy the fruits of government welfare, we would expect to see a shortage of labor in the economy. Employers trying to recruit workers to expand their businesses would come up against the fact that job seekers are in short supply. Job vacancies would go unfilled and wages would be bid upward as businesses fight to recruit scarce labor away from the easy option of free welfare money. In such a scenario, cutting welfare would incentivize work, and help businesses fill vacancies.

And here is where the evidence undercuts conservative attacks on welfare. The data shows decisively that the problem is not laziness at all, but a lack of job openings. There are still three jobseekers for every job opening. In the dark days following the 2008 recession, that ratio was as high as seven people for every job opening. Wage growth remains weak. Surely there are still people who would rather claim welfare than try to work, but with so few jobs available, these people don't make a real difference. Trying to nudge them off welfare won't expand the supply of jobs. It would increase the number of people looking for a job — and remember, there are already not enough jobs for those seeking employment

I guess I should read the article to see the "Decisive Data."

meh....too much trouble....why don't you find it for me?

:eusa_whistle:

Perhaps it will inspire me to look for data in the future?

:eusa_shifty:

Additionally, when someone gets a job no one has the option of "working enough to keep getting welfare". Either you work when scheduled or hit the road

Can you explain how your logic of "Welfare is a disincentive to work" translates to "Welfare recipients work."?

I did, but like I said the Democratic party is the party of stupid and you happen to be in that camp.

Again, people work just enough to remain on welfare... It makes them more money than working full time or it simply gets them enough to "get by" without working very much.

This is common sense, like... Your position is near that of denying evolution or gravity.

What a dumbass question. Of course it does.

Why in hell would anyone want to go out and get a job when someone elses money is paying the bills??

Why in hell would someone actually want to work for a living when a living is being provided for them??

Why in hell would someone want to get off the gravy train when someone else is pulling it for em??
If the bills are paid. If a 'living' is provided. You suppose that food stamps and welfare checks amount to a substantial enough income to save for a house, make all the monthly bills, set a table with meals for everyone every day, pay medical expenses, buy clothing and provide all the comforts of home prior to the loss of the primary wage earner's job?

That's the misconception those who would argue from anecdote about those on public assistance. In reality, nothing could be further from the truth. But convince those without basic human mercy.

the number of ABLE-BODIED AMERICANS not working has doubled under obama
it is what it is; expansion of the welfare state

Additionally, when someone gets a job no one has the option of "working enough to keep getting welfare". Either you work when scheduled or hit the road

I own a business, do you? No you don't... In fact I'm wondering if you have ever worked.

I schedule people not by what I would like them to work but rather what they are available to work. I have to find people that care less about parties on the weekends but oddly they might have kids... kids they have to pick up from school or do whatever the fuck they want to do with them. Meaning no, no single employee that I have works any hours I schedule simply because I want them to work certain hours.

Maybe I should run my business like a liberal and just fire people that can't work the hours I tell them too... Like CC would do.

Why in hell would anyone want to go out and get a job when someone elses money is paying the bills??

Why in hell would someone actually want to work for a living when a living is being provided for them??

Why in hell would someone want to get off the gravy train when someone else is pulling it for em??
If the bills are paid. If a 'living' is provided. You suppose that food stamps and welfare checks amount to a substantial enough income to save for a house, make all the monthly bills, set a table with meals for everyone every day, pay medical expenses, buy clothing and provide all the comforts of home prior to the loss of the primary wage earner's job?

That's the misconception those who would argue from anecdote about those on public assistance. In reality, nothing could be further from the truth. But convince those without basic human mercy.

You are assuming that all people want the same standard of living you want. You also assume they make no income off the black market economy.

Because its in human nature to be self reliant and self sufficient - Govt doesnt remove that quality

Its not...The most anyone can get is what govt will allow. Which aint much and it dam sure aint something you can get comfortable with

See answer #1

Its in SOME people's nature to be that. You make the common mistake made throughout history of applying your morals and standards to all others.

Forum List

Back