Does welfare make people lazy?

Does welfare make people lazy? - The Week

The best way to measure whether the unemployed are behaving lazily is by examining the ratio of job seekers to job openings. If the problem is that unemployed people are slacking off work to enjoy the fruits of government welfare, we would expect to see a shortage of labor in the economy. Employers trying to recruit workers to expand their businesses would come up against the fact that job seekers are in short supply. Job vacancies would go unfilled and wages would be bid upward as businesses fight to recruit scarce labor away from the easy option of free welfare money. In such a scenario, cutting welfare would incentivize work, and help businesses fill vacancies.

And here is where the evidence undercuts conservative attacks on welfare. The data shows decisively that the problem is not laziness at all, but a lack of job openings. There are still three jobseekers for every job opening. In the dark days following the 2008 recession, that ratio was as high as seven people for every job opening. Wage growth remains weak. Surely there are still people who would rather claim welfare than try to work, but with so few jobs available, these people don't make a real difference. Trying to nudge them off welfare won't expand the supply of jobs. It would increase the number of people looking for a job — and remember, there are already not enough jobs for those seeking employment
Hey DUMBASS? Why are there LACK of job openings? Hmm? And why does Government make it easy to live off the taxpayer...and make it difficult to GET OFF WELFARE...same reason for hard regulation, HIGH TAXATION...CONTROL.

The premise of your thread is a FAIL. But YOU keep sniffing Obama's, and the progressive's asses. And WHY do you do that? YOU take the easy way out. It requires very little thought.

COWARD.

Trickle down....got it

Does welfare make people lazy? - The Week

The best way to measure whether the unemployed are behaving lazily is by examining the ratio of job seekers to job openings. If the problem is that unemployed people are slacking off work to enjoy the fruits of government welfare, we would expect to see a shortage of labor in the economy. Employers trying to recruit workers to expand their businesses would come up against the fact that job seekers are in short supply. Job vacancies would go unfilled and wages would be bid upward as businesses fight to recruit scarce labor away from the easy option of free welfare money. In such a scenario, cutting welfare would incentivize work, and help businesses fill vacancies.

And here is where the evidence undercuts conservative attacks on welfare. The data shows decisively that the problem is not laziness at all, but a lack of job openings. There are still three jobseekers for every job opening. In the dark days following the 2008 recession, that ratio was as high as seven people for every job opening. Wage growth remains weak. Surely there are still people who would rather claim welfare than try to work, but with so few jobs available, these people don't make a real difference. Trying to nudge them off welfare won't expand the supply of jobs. It would increase the number of people looking for a job — and remember, there are already not enough jobs for those seeking employment
Hey DUMBASS? Why are there LACK of job openings? Hmm? And why does Government make it easy to live off the taxpayer...and make it difficult to GET OFF WELFARE...same reason for hard regulation, HIGH TAXATION...CONTROL.

The premise of your thread is a FAIL. But YOU keep sniffing Obama's, and the progressive's asses. And WHY do you do that? YOU take the easy way out. It requires very little thought.

COWARD.

Trickle down....got it

how does trickle-UP work leftard?

how's that working out?

No, this is all about gut feelings with them. No facts or data will change their minds.

For example: They say that welfare makes people not want to find a job. Then when you show them the majority of people on welfare are the WORKING poor....meaning they have a job. The right shrugs and says it again as if facts dont matter

It's because they get vastly more with a pathetic job when adding in a never ending welfare due toi having that bullshit job.

This is why I can't be a liberal, you hate science, you hate logic, you hate reality.

Take any animal, feed it, shelter it... It gets lazy, it becomes "dependent." Do you disagree with this statement? Do you think humans are not animals?

Why do you ignore facts and opt instead for Aesop fables about animals?

Fact - majority of welfare recipients work.

Just to be fair,where's your supporting data? Break it down,from working poor,and non working numbers.

The question is what is the fine line of the total dollars in aid one can get when they are below a certain dollar level means test?
And how one weighs that aid with having to do nothing versus having to work a job that pays X amount of money.
Sports fans and those with heads in the sand: poverty these days is an uneducated, unskilled woman with children out of wedlock.
And what do liberals do instead of helping this poor woman?
"Fuck you, I have no time for you, call government and wait in line for hours. Government is here to help you".
And the dumb masses why the poor are growing in numbers.
We offer them incentives to stay poor.

Take that up with your team.
Democrats OPPOSE any changes to the tax code.
Because Nancy and Harry are RICH PEOPLE.
88,000 pages of tax code that gives tax loopholes and deductions to people that make money.
But speaking of corporations.
Stock holders receive all the benefits of any corporate welfare.
That would be middle class folks primarily.
Stock holders are PEOPLE.
But of course we know you hate, despise and must punish all middle class folks that are disciplined, practical and taught to save their hard earned money, invest it and not be dependent on government.
Government is your Daddy.
I'm not a democrat.

No, the majority of welfare recipients do not work.
The majority of people that are mooching off of government work.
Real people in need are those on welfare.
The others are moochers making bad choices and living irresponsibly and expecting us to keep propping them up.

Does welfare make people lazy?
Generally speaking, it makes people dependent. If someone is getting a regular welfare check he or she is less likely to search for a job. If someone's belly is full then he or she is less likely to hunt. Does welfare make them lazy? Perhaps or perhaps not. Some welfare recipients may go skiing every weekend for all I know but if they're getting free money they're less likely to seek employment.

One time in my life (early 20s) I was getting unemployment. Since I was getting paid while kicking back at home I stretched it out for as long as I could. I would pretend to look for work but I wasn't really looking for a good job. I used most of my unemployment money to buy beer and pot.

So you believe we have to make our poor suffer more?

Starving children is an incentive to go out and find a job

There you go again.
So someone points out a fact - and that means he hates the poor.
Lame rwinger....lame.
I could just as easily ask you - so we should pay for everything for the poor - no questions asked no matter how irresponsible people get? Juts pay everything?
Oh that's right - we did that. My photos above showed how that turned out.
Liberals/Democrats all try and pretend that the social disasters of the 60's and 70's didn't happen. It did happen. Even though the $billions in federal housing complexes have all been torn down - those cities have swept all evidence under the rug.
You would at least think liberals would just try and pretend it didn't happen. And surely avoid the same mistakes again...surely.
But no....they are trying to do it again.

Take that up with your team.
Democrats OPPOSE any changes to the tax code.
Because Nancy and Harry are RICH PEOPLE.
88,000 pages of tax code that gives tax loopholes and deductions to people that make money.
But speaking of corporations.
Stock holders receive all the benefits of any corporate welfare.
That would be middle class folks primarily.
Stock holders are PEOPLE.
But of course we know you hate, despise and must punish all middle class folks that are disciplined, practical and taught to save their hard earned money, invest it and not be dependent on government.
Government is your Daddy.
I'm not a democrat.

My apologies as I was wrong about that.
Thanks for confirming all the other facts in my post.

Children born out of wedlock IS POVERTY these days.
So what do we do?
Nothing, not a damn thing is done to force the fathers to take care of their own kids.
Government is the Daddy.

The others are moochers making bad choices and living irresponsibly and expecting us to keep propping them up.
Moochers like GE, Halliburton, KBR, General Dynamics, etc.

If you arm chair couch potato duds were REALLY interested in helping poor folks you would get off YOUR LAZY asses and help them.
That is what we do in my community.
"Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight
Jesus loves all the little children in the world"
Instead you sit and demand government plunder productive citizens.

Last edited:

what's up with these left-wing morons and their straw man arguments?

is it good to have unlimited welfare just because there is corporate welfare?

what did Dems do about corporate welfare in the 4 years they held both chambers of Congress and two of those years they had the White House too?

idiots and hypocrites

All owned by middle class Americans.
Why do you hate middle class Americans that invest?
Jealous, envious?

left-wing losers use the absurd red herring about corporate welfare because they cant deal with the heart of the matter; when Progressives are in charge more people are on welfare and food stamps; then the same self-deceiving left-wing losers try to lecture you on how you cant live on it. easier to lecture others when you are failing the very same people you claim to defend.

idiots and hypocrites

50 years of government "aid"
And we are worse off than then.
And these mental midgets blame "corporations".
LOL!

I haven't commented on the other stuff, but since you brought it up...

...corporations are allowed to "off-shore" their profits in order to reduce their tax burden.

70% of the corporations in this country, don't pay any taxes at all.

The tax rate for capital gains and dividends, is only 15%. That needs to increase to 25%.

As far as your comment on the democrats and the tax code, they were not the ones pushing to keep the Bush tax cuts for the rich, the republican whores and bitches, were.

I haven't commented on the other stuff, but since you brought it up...

...corporations are allowed to "off-shore" their profits in order to reduce their tax burden.

70% of the corporations in this country, don't pay any taxes at all.

The tax rate for capital gains and dividends, is only 15%. That needs to increase to 25%.

As far as your comment on the democrats and the tax code, they were not the ones pushing to keep the Bush tax cuts for the rich, the republican whores and bitches, were.

sigh

corporations arent the reason obama is failing; the Progressive agenda is failing

corporations hire mommy and daddy and pay for the welfare state obama's inept policies has created

COWARD.

Trickle down....got it

how does trickle-UP work leftard?

how's that working out?

Great topic for another thread

How does Consumer Side economics work out? Put money in the hands of millions instead of billions in the hands of a few?

Forum List

Back