Does welfare make people lazy?

Once again duddley shows why he has this nickname.
Once again, another leftist ignores 30 years of glaring, obvious, overwhelming data.
Progressives also ignore the self-evident truth: When you subsidize something, you get more of it.

Then why do we still have oil shortages?

:cuckoo:
Government/Politicians in the pockets of the Enviro-whackos AND the Oil folks themselves. Wake the fuck up idiot. YOU and the rest of us are being lied to and bilked.

What a dumbass question. Of course it does.

Why in hell would anyone want to go out and get a job when someone elses money is paying the bills??

Why in hell would someone actually want to work for a living when a living is being provided for them??

Why in hell would someone want to get off the gravy train when someone else is pulling it for em??

Because its in human nature to be self reliant and self sufficient - Govt doesnt remove that quality

Its not...The most anyone can get is what govt will allow. Which aint much and it dam sure aint something you can get comfortable with

See answer #1

I disagree. Survival is human nature, but that doesn't mean busting your butt. It can mean conning others or, nowadays, just demanding it through government programs. I hate to say, but I know a few too many people like that and they've turned leeching into an art form.

I think a good work ethic is taught, not natural. Kids don't always want to clean their rooms unless you get on them and withhold allowance for no work. Teens often get lazy and need to be prodded at times. Some are better than others and all my kids knew that nothing was getting handed to them, but it still didn't mean they were always taking the initiative. When there is an alternative to work, young impressionable teens might opt for the easy route, especially if their parents and grandparents took that route.

When people are taught early that they are "entitled" to things by merely existing, you can bet they'll find a way to get what is coming to them for nothing.

Even though people know better and I would guess some suffer from depression or guilt for not earning their way, once a bad habit is established, it's hell to break. Not to mention that many young people who give up on school because they had a baby and went on welfare are much less desirable to employees. Catching up and getting to the point where you should be is a tough order. I've seen girls get pregnant, quit school and end up on welfare for years. Later on, many just end up getting pregnant again before the youngest turns 18 because the thought of finishing school at their age and working full-time just doesn't appeal to them. Their children will likely have the same mindset and this continues from one generation to the next.

There is no doubt it's a vicious cycle and taking away the stigma of getting help and increasing welfare to this point has only ruined more people's chances of ever becoming self-sufficient. To be clear, I would never want anyone to feel bad for accepting help, but it should be the bare necessities so the person is encouraged to get away from it as soon as they are able. It's government and their pushing the entitlement mentality that encouraged long term or even life long welfare recipients.

Last edited:

Why in hell would anyone want to go out and get a job when someone elses money is paying the bills??

Why in hell would someone actually want to work for a living when a living is being provided for them??

Why in hell would someone want to get off the gravy train when someone else is pulling it for em??

Because its in human nature to be self reliant and self sufficient - Govt doesnt remove that quality

Its not...The most anyone can get is what govt will allow. Which aint much and it dam sure aint something you can get comfortable with

See answer #1
No, it is human nature to take the easiest path possible.

You want $200 for rolling out of bed and watching TV, or would you rather go make little rocks out of big rocks for that money?

The best way to measure whether the unemployed are behaving lazily is by examining the ratio of job seekers to job openings

Why is that the best way? I see no reason to think that.

BTW, every time I post a job in Craig's list, I get lots of responses. Most of them are from people who obviously never read the job description. To get unemployment, you have to communicate with and document contacts with a certain number of employers. They're just checking off the list and putting no effort into it. Your metric is meaningless.

Well I noticed my photos shut the idiots up.
I'll post more if they come back.
It never ceases to amaze, that people can still try and defend the indefensible.

Progressives also ignore the self-evident truth: When you subsidize something, you get more of it.

Then why do we still have oil shortages?

:cuckoo:
Because tax deductions for capital depreciation are not subsides.

Also, because America has not built a new refinery in decades.

Any other questions?

Great points. Democrats also block offshore drilling, fight pipelines, fight fracking and domestic exploration. They have a plethora of local gas blends, which reduces competition and makes refineries more inefficient, they fight nuclear power, coal (including clean burning coal).

Then they whine we need to buy oil from bad governments and ask ... why is it so expensive???

You're not paying much attention, Luddy...

"job openings"
What a crock of bull shit.
Entrepreneurship is way down from what it used to be.
It is almost impossible for someone to start their own business these days.
Insurance, regulations, continuing education, paperwork, laws, rules, taxes, ordinances, restrictions, professional license fees (taxes),etc.
And if you do business all over the state as I do multiply all of that.
And small business is the life blood of NEW EMPLOYMENT.
Real world sports fans. This administration has KILLED small business.

Generally speaking, it makes people dependent. If someone is getting a regular welfare check he or she is less likely to search for a job. If someone's belly is full then he or she is less likely to hunt. Does welfare make them lazy? Perhaps or perhaps not. Some welfare recipients may go skiing every weekend for all I know but if they're getting free money they're less likely to seek employment.

One time in my life (early 20s) I was getting unemployment. Since I was getting paid while kicking back at home I stretched it out for as long as I could. I would pretend to look for work but I wasn't really looking for a good job. I used most of my unemployment money to buy beer and pot.

Does welfare make people lazy? - The Week

The best way to measure whether the unemployed are behaving lazily is by examining the ratio of job seekers to job openings. If the problem is that unemployed people are slacking off work to enjoy the fruits of government welfare, we would expect to see a shortage of labor in the economy. Employers trying to recruit workers to expand their businesses would come up against the fact that job seekers are in short supply. Job vacancies would go unfilled and wages would be bid upward as businesses fight to recruit scarce labor away from the easy option of free welfare money. In such a scenario, cutting welfare would incentivize work, and help businesses fill vacancies.

And here is where the evidence undercuts conservative attacks on welfare. The data shows decisively that the problem is not laziness at all, but a lack of job openings. There are still three jobseekers for every job opening. In the dark days following the 2008 recession, that ratio was as high as seven people for every job opening. Wage growth remains weak. Surely there are still people who would rather claim welfare than try to work, but with so few jobs available, these people don't make a real difference. Trying to nudge them off welfare won't expand the supply of jobs. It would increase the number of people looking for a job — and remember, there are already not enough jobs for those seeking employment
Hey DUMBASS? Why are there LACK of job openings? Hmm? And why does Government make it easy to live off the taxpayer...and make it difficult to GET OFF WELFARE...same reason for hard regulation, HIGH TAXATION...CONTROL.

The premise of your thread is a FAIL. But YOU keep sniffing Obama's, and the progressive's asses. And WHY do you do that? YOU take the easy way out. It requires very little thought.

COWARD.

Because it doesn't pay all the bills.

Because its far below the standard of living.

Because that train has no gravy.

What about corporate welfare? Are you okay with giving rich people freebee's?

Where's your outrage there?

See answer #1

Bullshit.

There are plenty of people who are very comfortable on welfare. Hell. You've got grandma, daughter and grandaughter all living on welfare. As for self reliant? That only applies to those who actually want to be self reliant.

Our country is full of freeloaders who have no problem letting someone else bankroll their lives for em. Its full of freeloaders who would never think of going out getting a job and getting off welfare. Welfare is a way of life for em and they like it just fine. After all, who the hell wants to work for a living when a living is being provided at no cost to you.

Human nature? You bet.

Generally speaking, it makes people dependent. If someone is getting a regular welfare check he or she is less likely to search for a job. If someone's belly is full then he or she is less likely to hunt. Does welfare make them lazy? Perhaps or perhaps not. Some welfare recipients may go skiing every weekend for all I know but if they're getting free money they're less likely to seek employment.

One time in my life (early 20s) I was getting unemployment. Since I was getting paid while kicking back at home I stretched it out for as long as I could. I would pretend to look for work but I wasn't really looking for a good job. I used most of my unemployment money to buy beer and pot.

So you believe we have to make our poor suffer more?

Starving children is an incentive to go out and find a job

Because it doesn't pay all the bills.

Because its far below the standard of living.

Because that train has no gravy.

What about corporate welfare? Are you okay with giving rich people freebee's?

Where's your outrage there?

Take that up with your team.
Democrats OPPOSE any changes to the tax code.
Because Nancy and Harry are RICH PEOPLE.
88,000 pages of tax code that gives tax loopholes and deductions to people that make money.
But speaking of corporations.
Stock holders receive all the benefits of any corporate welfare.
That would be middle class folks primarily.
Stock holders are PEOPLE.
But of course we know you hate, despise and must punish all middle class folks that are disciplined, practical and taught to save their hard earned money, invest it and not be dependent on government.
Government is your Daddy.

Forum List

Back