DOJ Fines Denver Sheriff Dept For Only Hiring U.S. Citizens for Deputy Positions

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
This is insane but just what you'd expect from america-hating obama.

DOJ Fines Denver Sheriff Dept For Only Hiring U.S. Citizens for Deputy Positions

nov 22 2016 The Justice Department reached a settlement this week with the Denver Sheriff Department, after they allegedly discriminated against work-authorized immigrants by only considering the applications of U.S. citizens.

“The Denver Sheriff Department discriminated based on citizenship status by requiring applicants for deputy sheriff positions to be U.S. citizens and publishing job postings with U.S. citizenship requirements, in violation of the INA (Immigration and Nationality Act),” a statement from the DOJ reads. INA prohibits employers from limiting jobs to U.S. citizens (except where they are required to do so by law).

The Sheriff Department will pay $10,000 in civil penalties. They will also have to go through their old applications and identify those who may have been disqualified due to the citizenship requirement. In addition, they are required to train human resources on the anti-discrimination provision of the INA.

"The Justice Department reached a settlement this week with the Denver Sheriff Department, after they allegedly discriminated against work-authorized immigrants by only considering the applications of U.S. citizens.
“The Denver Sheriff Department discriminated based on citizenship status by requiring applicants for deputy sheriff positions to be U.S. citizens and publishing job postings with U.S. citizenship requirements, in violation of the INA (Immigration and Nationality Act),”
a statement from the DOJ reads. INA prohibits employers from limiting jobs to U.S. citizens (except where they are required to do so by law)."

Looks pretty straight forward to me.

What's wrong with america hiring americans before hiring non-americans??? Liberals hate america.

This "law" denver supposedly violated sounds like another phony law written by the DOJ even though the constitution says only congress can write laws. DOJ does that all the time. They take a law written by congress and then change it and call it an interpretation.!!!

The local county or state should pass a law that local law enforcements have to be American Citizens.... Problem solved, kind of. For some positions, it should be understood that their is a preference for American citizens to hold the job without passing a law that says so. Not all discrimination is bad.

"The Justice Department reached a settlement this week with the Denver Sheriff Department, after they allegedly discriminated against work-authorized immigrants by only considering the applications of U.S. citizens.
“The Denver Sheriff Department discriminated based on citizenship status by requiring applicants for deputy sheriff positions to be U.S. citizens and publishing job postings with U.S. citizenship requirements, in violation of the INA (Immigration and Nationality Act),”
a statement from the DOJ reads. INA prohibits employers from limiting jobs to U.S. citizens (except where they are required to do so by law)."

Looks pretty straight forward to me.
yes, I just looked it up. It clearly specifies you cant do this.
I obviously don't agree with it, but it is what it is.
#AmericansFirst

Weird how the DOJ will attack this department for hiring Americans, but not sanctuary cities who openly break the law. Hell, the DOJ Inspector General even said it was bullshit..
I am so tired of political hacks running our Country

do you guys know what "work authorized" means?.....these are people who have applied to live here and have been granted permanent status to live and work here......been going on for quite a while now....

yes, I just looked it up. It clearly specifies you cant do this.
I obviously don't agree with it, but it is what it is.
#AmericansFirst

So quote the law and give us a link to the quote. Otherwise i say you're a yella yankee liah.

This "law" denver supposedly violated sounds like another phony law written by the DOJ even though the constitution says only congress can write laws. DOJ does that all the time. They take a law written by congress and then change it and call it an interpretation.!!!

The law, written by Congress is United States Code, Title 8, Subchapter II, Part VIII, 8 U.S. Code § 1324b - Unfair immigration-related employment practices which makes it against the law to discriminate in hiring status based on a person citizen status or those legally allowed to work in the United States.

8 U.S. Code § 1324b - Unfair immigration-related employment practices

The local county or state should pass a law that local law enforcements have to be American Citizens.... Problem solved, kind of. For some positions, it should be understood that their is a preference for American citizens to hold the job without passing a law that says so. Not all discrimination is bad.

A local country or state law can't superseded federal law.

>>>>

The law, written by Congress is United States Code, Title 8, Subchapter II, Part VIII, 8 U.S. Code § 1324b - Unfair immigration-related employment practices which makes it against the law to discriminate in hiring status based on a person citizen status or those legally allowed to work in the United States.
8 U.S. Code § 1324b - Unfair immigration-related employment practices

I went to that website and i could find no mention that you had to hire a certain percentage of noncitizens. It does say

"General rule It is an unfair immigration-related employment practice for a person or other entity to discriminate against any individual (other than an unauthorized alien, as defined in section 1324a(h)(3) of this title) with respect to the hiring, or recruitment or referral for a fee, of the individual for employment or the discharging of the individual from employment—"

But it also says

"4)Additional exception providing right to prefer equally qualified citizens
Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, it is not an unfair immigration-related employment practice for a person or other entity to prefer to hire, recruit, or refer an individual who is a citizen or national of the United States over another individual who is an alien if the two individuals are equally qualified."

So it appears the sheriff was allowed to discriminate in favor of citizens.

Isn't it wonderful the government requires foreigners with no reason for loyalty to the Constitution to be in the thin blue line?

I went to that website and i could find no mention that you had to hire a certain percentage of noncitizens. It does say

I never made any kind of claim they had to hire a certain percentage.

"General rule It is an unfair immigration-related employment practice for a person or other entity to discriminate against any individual (other than an unauthorized alien, as defined in section 1324a(h)(3) of this title) with respect to the hiring, or recruitment or referral for a fee, of the individual for employment or the discharging of the individual from employment—"

But it also says

"4)Additional exception providing right to prefer equally qualified citizens
Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, it is not an unfair immigration-related employment practice for a person or other entity to prefer to hire, recruit, or refer an individual who is a citizen or national of the United States over another individual who is an alien if the two individuals are equally qualified."

So it appears the sheriff was allowed to discriminate in favor of citizens.

That means you can't hire less qualified citizens, simply because they are citizens over a more highly qualified legal resident.

If all other factors are equal, you can hire a citizen over a legal resident on an individual basis.

Not the case here were all legal residents were eliminated from the applicant pool simply because there were non-citizens and less qualified citizens were retained in the applicant pool.

>>>>

Isn't it wonderful the government requires foreigners with no reason for loyalty to the Constitution to be in the thin blue line?

Got news for you............foreign nationals are also serving in the US military, and have been since at least 1982 to my knowledge (that's when I joined), and continued to do so until at least 2002 (when I retired). My first ship, the LPO was a Phillippine national, and when I did my last tour at MEPS Amarillo, there was a 2nd class working for me who was a Mexican citizen who became an American citizen about a year before I retired.

This is insane but just what you'd expect from america-hating obama.

nov 22 2016 The Justice Department reached a settlement this week with the Denver Sheriff Department, after they allegedly discriminated against work-authorized immigrants by only considering the applications of U.S. citizens.

“The Denver Sheriff Department discriminated based on citizenship status by requiring applicants for deputy sheriff positions to be U.S. citizens and publishing job postings with U.S. citizenship requirements, in violation of the INA (Immigration and Nationality Act),” a statement from the DOJ reads. INA prohibits employers from limiting jobs to U.S. citizens (except where they are required to do so by law).

The Sheriff Department will pay $10,000 in civil penalties. They will also have to go through their old applications and identify those who may have been disqualified due to the citizenship requirement. In addition, they are required to train human resources on the anti-discrimination provision of the INA.
How much was Hillary fined for failing to follow procedures
pertaining to handling classified information?

Forum List

Back