DOJ: No Miranda rights

Once the accused asked for an attorney the questioning would have to stop. The bomber would have to be read his rights and be charged.

Further, you better tell these guys, "Federal public defenders have agreed to represent the suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings. Miriam Conrad, the federal defender for Massachusetts, says her office expects to represent Dzhokhar Tsarnaev after he is charged.

Public defenders will represent Boston bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev - Washington Times

Not true, let me explain how this actually works.

The police arrest someone, and start asking him questions with the intent of using what he says against him. He actually asks for an attorney, so the police reach out and find him one, and then continue to question him in the presence of his attorney.

Another scenario, the police arrest a guy, like Tsarnev, who might have have planted a bomb somewhere. The police are perfectly free to ask him about that, and continue asking, even if he asks for an attorney. What they cannot do is force him to answer.

Why is this so hard?

Bottom line windbag...

• "You can invoke your right to be silent before or during an interrogation, and if you do so, the interrogation must stop.
  • You can invoke your right to have an attorney present, and until your attorney is present, the interrogation must stop."

Miranda Warnings and Police Questioning - FindLaw

In this situation the the public safety exception applies, and purportedly is being used.

Doubling down on stupid only makes you extra stupid.

• This only applies if the police intend to use your statement against you in court.
  • Ditto.
The Volokh Conspiracy » Tsarnaev and Miranda Rights

I actually explained all of this previously, you should go back and read it. So far the only people that have had a problem with my explanation are a couple of wingnuts who think Obama is Satan incarnate, and you.

Last edited:
Not true, let me explain how this actually works.

The police arrest someone, and start asking him questions with the intent of using what he says against him. He actually asks for an attorney, so the police reach out and find him one, and then continue to question him in the presence of his attorney.

Another scenario, the police arrest a guy, like Tsarnev, who might have have planted a bomb somewhere. The police are perfectly free to ask him about that, and continue asking, even if he asks for an attorney. What they cannot do is force him to answer.

Why is this so hard?

Bottom line windbag...

• "You can invoke your right to be silent before or during an interrogation, and if you do so, the interrogation must stop.
  • You can invoke your right to have an attorney present, and until your attorney is present, the interrogation must stop."

Miranda Warnings and Police Questioning - FindLaw

In this situation the the public safety exception applies, and purportedly is being used.

Doubling down on stupid only makes you extra stupid.

• This only applies if the police intend to use your statement against you in court.
  • Ditto.
The Volokh Conspiracy » Tsarnaev and Miranda Rights

I actually explained all of this previously, you should go back and read it. So far the only people that have had a problem with my explanation are a couple of wingnuts who think Obama is Satan incarnate, and you.

I gave you the black letter law. You also suggest you are God, "Quantum Windbag Quantum Windbag Thou art God". You have some very serious problems with reality and narcissism.

Last edited:
At least you’re consistent in contributing nothing of value.

I suggest you read the NDAA 2012 and 2013 how can you lie like that?
I abhor Indefinite detention without trial: Section 1021 of NDAA 2012 as well a number of items in the Patriot Act, however I really don't see any alternative if we are to stop terrorist. These laws take exception to amendments in the Bill of Rights. How they are used will differentiate us from our enemies.

Well then the terrorist have won.
But at this time I feel the need to ask a what if.
What if a tyrant is in power to maintain control manipulates events that would cause people in this country to believe as you do?
Regardless I am not willing to exchange safety by the government for my freedom and due process of the law.

Unlike you I know the law.
Says one of the most unlikely people on the board to uphold the law.

The feds will give the accused the warning at an appropriate time before trying him in federal court.

jakey still can't understand this simple concept and it is even from his link:

If a court found that Tsarnaev was not read his Miranda rights, the usual consequence would be that any statements he made prior to being read his rights could not be admitted at trial. However, prosecutors might not need such statements if they have overwhelming evidence of Tsarnaev’s guilt.

Read more: Next for Boston suspect: 5 legal questions - Josh Gerstein - POLITICO.com

Exactly. They had more than plenty enough to find him and know what he had done and who he had done it with. They don't need his statements to help convict him. If he must be tried for mere "crimes," then they can and will get that conviction just as readily without the use of any "statements" from the little cock-sucker.

Unlike you I know the law.

The feds will give the accused the warning at an appropriate time before trying him in federal court.

No. They will not.
Not giving a Miranda Warning benefits the accused because nothing he says can be used against him in court. The reason for not giving the Miranda Warning is get more information from the accused. If nothing he says can be used against him, he has little reason not to spill everything. My guess is that the police have enough evidence to put him away for life without regards to anything he says.

No. They will not.
Not giving a Miranda Warning benefits the accused because nothing he says can be used against him in court. The reason for not giving the Miranda Warning is get more information from the accused. If nothing he says can be used against him, he has little reason not to spill everything. My guess is that the police have enough evidence to put him away for life without regards to anything he says.

You are more or less on track.

You give Miranda warnings to a suspect being subjected to custodial interrogation (that is, questioning while he is in custody) to allow the prosecution to USE his statements as evidence against him at his pending criminal trial. No Mirandas given yields no use of his statements against him at trial (on the government's case in chief at least).

But if the questions you wish to ask him are NOT motivated by a desire to get him to implicate himself but are instead motivated by a desire to find out how much of existing threat to the public is still in effect, then there would be NO LOGICAL REASON on the face of God's green Earth to tell him he has a 'right to remain silent.'

So, you choose NOT to give him his Miranda warnings even though he's in custody. You get him to speak and speak as much as you can. In short, you do what you can to protect people and maybe save lives and prevent other acts of terrorism. And if the "cost" of doing so is the loss of the use of his words against him at trial, so be it.

No. They will not.

You give Miranda warnings to a suspect being subjected to custodial interrogation (that is, questioning while he is in custody) to allow the prosecution to USE his statements as evidence against him at his pending criminal trial. No Mirandas given yields no use of his statements against him at trial (on the government's case in chief at least).

But if the questions you wish to ask him are NOT motivated by a desire to get him to implicate himself but are instead motivated by a desire to find out how much of existing threat to the public is still in effect, then there would be NO LOGICAL REASON on the face of God's green Earth to tell him he has a 'right to remain silent.'

So, you choose NOT to give him his Miranda warnings even though he's in custody. You get him to speak and speak as much as you can. In short, you do what you can to protect people and maybe save lives and prevent other acts of terrorism. And if the "cost" of doing so is the loss of the use of his words against him at trial, so be it.

The courts have actually ruled that it is fine to question someone, get a bunch of incriminating statements, then read him a warning and try to get him to repeat what he already said. I don't particularly like that tactic, but everyone should know they have the right to remain silent if they watch any cop show ever.

The courts have actually ruled that it is fine to question someone, get a bunch of incriminating statements, then read him a warning and try to get him to repeat what he already said. I don't particularly like that tactic, but everyone should know they have the right to remain silent if they watch any cop show ever.

Actually, if one has spoken in response to questioning NOT preceded by the Miranda warnings (when one is already in custody), and then the law enforcement gang tries to "fix" things by giving Miranda warnings, at least in NY State, that will not fly.

That still yields suppression on the theory of the "cat out of the bag."

The Courts don't allow that transparent end-run if it is established that such a ploy was attempted.

The case you seem to have in mind is: OREGON v. ELSTAD 470 U.S. 298, 105 S.Ct. 1285, 84 L.Ed.2d 222 (1985) where the SCOTUS said what YOU just said.

But New York State has its own Constitution and sees things differently. People v. Tanner, 30 N.Y.2d 102, 331 N.Y.S.2d 1 (1972) ("cat out of the bag theory" but note that the burden of proof lies with the defendant on that issue).

Last edited:
I think Quantum's post compels me to acknowledge that rightwinger might have a partially valid point.

Since the case is going to be Federal, AFTER they question the defendant without Miranda warnings, the law enforcement officers and or Government prosecutors might very well elect to go at him again WITH Miranda warnings.

So I guess I have to modify my prior position a bit.

Forum List

Back