Donald Trump: Shut Down Government If Necessary To Defund Planned Parenthood

Should government be shut down to defund Planned Parenthood?

• Yes

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters
WASHINGTON -- Real estate mogul Donald Trump supports shutting down the government as a way to defund Planned Parenthood, potentially setting the bar for the rest of his fellow GOP presidential candidates currently trailing him in the polls by a large margin.

Senate Democrats voted Monday to block a bill that would have stripped federal funds from the nation’s largest family planning provider. The GOP-backed effort was prompted by a series of edited undercover videos showing Planned Parenthood officials discussing the donation of fetal tissue after abortions for scientific research.

With no way forward for the vote, some conservatives are pushing on congressional leaders to defund the organization at the end of September, when government funding is set to run out. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) employed a similar, albeit unsuccessful, tactic in hopes of defunding the Affordable Care Act.

In a Tuesday interview with radio host Hugh Hewitt, Trump credited Cruz for his efforts, and signaled that Republicans ought to follow his lead on Planned Parenthood.

"If the Republicans stuck together you could have done it with Obamacare also, but the Republicans decided not to stick together and they left a few people out there like Ted Cruz," he said in the interview. "You know, they left a lot of the people who really went in and wanted to do the job and you know what? If they had stuck together they would have won that battle. I think you have to in this case also, yes."

Many Senate Republicans, including then Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), opposed Cruz's tactics. The resulting 16-day government shutdown in 2013 ultimately hurt Republicans in the polls and failed to extract concessions from Democrats.

More: Donald Trump: Shut Down Government If Necessary To Defund Planned Parenthood

The Republican war on women's rights is ugly. Trump used to be pro-choice. I do not think this is a winner for the GOP. It certainly isn't a winner for women.

Family planning huh.

What services are covered?
This program provides coverage for family planning-related health care including:

• Most FDA approved birth control methods, devices, and supplies including birth control pills, condoms, the patch, Nuvaring, IUDs and the new method, Nexplanon
  • Emergency contraception and follow-up care – known by its brand name "Plan B"
  • Male and female sterilization
  • Preconception counseling, preventive screening and family planning options before pregnancy
The following services are also free when they are part of a family planning clinic visit. You MUST have these services as part of or follow up to a family planning visit or they will not be covered by the Family Planning Benefit Program.

• Gynecological exams including clinical breast exam (mammography not included)
  • Pregnancy testing and counseling
  • Reproductive health information, education and counseling services related to pregnancy, sexually transmitted infection risk and family planning options
  • Screening, treatment, and medications for sexually transmitted and genito-urinary infections
  • Screening for cervical cancer (Pap smears) and if needed, repeat Pap smears and colposcopies
  • Screening, diagnostic, lab testing, and referrals to primary care providers for health conditions such as high blood pressure or diabetes that affect contraceptive choice
  • HIV counseling and testing
What services are NOT covered?

• Fertility treatments
  • Abortions
  • Problem-centered visits not originally diagnosed during a family planning visit
  • Services not related to family planning
- See more at: Family Planning Benefit Program Central and Western New York

Congress has control of the purse strings; however, last night demonstrated Liberals - with the help of RINOs like McConnell - can block the will of the people. Congress - a majority of control owned by Republicans - can choose to place in the budget an end to Planned Parenthood Funding. The Liberals, in turn, could block the budget bill At this point both Liberals and the Liberal media would be screaming how the GOP, not Liberals, were 'holding the country hostage' and 'shutting down the government'...when the TRUTH is it would be the Democrats doing so.

Congress has control of the purse strings; however, last night demonstrated Liberals - with the help of RINOs like McConnell - can block the will of the people. Congress - a majority of control owned by Republicans - can choose to place in the budget an end to Planned Parenthood Funding. The Liberals, in turn, could block the budget bill At this point both Liberals and the Liberal media would be screaming how the GOP, not Liberals, were 'holding the country hostage' and 'shutting down the government'...when the TRUTH is it would be the Democrats doing so.
Planned Parenthood and the NRA: As mentioned above, the most popular politicians and institutions in the NBC/WSJ are -- drum roll, please -- Planned Parenthood and the NRA. And here's the reason why: Independents view Planned Parenthood favorably by 20 points, 45%-25%. And they view the NRA positively by 15 points, 40%-25%. So you want to know why the defund-Planned Parenthood effort went nowhere in the Senate yesterday and why background checks also failed to move through the Senate in 2013 -- look no further than our poll.

First Read A Lousy Poll for Almost Every 2016 Candidate - NBC News

Republicans control both Houses of Congress - So, what legislation are they passing, or proposing, to help women and children? Direct and honest answers would be greatly appreciated.

Defunding Planned Parenthood defunds every service Planned Parenthood provides EXCEPT abortion.
Nope. You have it exactly backwards. Money is fungible. Funding PP enables them to perform abortions. Take the federal money away, and they would have to decide how to use their remaining money. They would have to choose between performing abortions or providing health services.

Take away the federal money and fund an organization which does not perform abortions. It's win/win for the GOP, and would abort Planned Parenthood.

You're an idiot. If the fungible issue were legitimate then the funding could have been declared illegal long ago.

Wake up.

Defunding Planned Parenthood defunds every service Planned Parenthood provides EXCEPT abortion.
Nope. You have it exactly backwards. Money is fungible. Funding PP enables them to perform abortions. Take the federal money away, and they would have to decide how to use their remaining money. They would have to choose between performing abortions or providing health services.

Take away the federal money and fund an organization which does not perform abortions. It's win/win for the GOP, and would abort Planned Parenthood.

You're an idiot. If the fungible issue were legitimate then the funding could have been declared illegal long ago.

Wake up.
It's Economics 101. I'm sorry it goes over your head.

Republicans control both Houses of Congress - So, what legislation are they passing, or proposing, to help women and children? Direct and honest answers would be greatly appreciated.
seems to me that passing legislation that would make the economy stronger would help women and children as well as everyone else.
But liberals don't see it that way, anything to keep people in their nice defined groups for political advantage.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAA they wont let me slaughter my children.

Here is a great idea.
treat planned parenthood like any other tax exempt entity, then let planned parenthood generate their funds through contributions from people like you who enjoy murdering babies.

Wake up.
I don't think anyone really knows how much of PP's "private donations" go to subsidize stuff like mammograms, compared to how much subsidizes abortions. I don't thing G5000's pro choice, but taking away all public funding would reduce PP to being an abortion provider, or facilitator. I'm not sure that's really in the cards, because I am beginning to think most people who are pro-choice to some degree or another may be discounting the videos.

Wake up.
If you need ten dollars for food and cigarettes, and you only have five dollars, you are going to have to go without something. Probably cigarettes, since food is a necessity. It depends how powerful your addiction to abortions cigarettes is.

If I give you five dollars and say, "You can only spend this on women's health services food", you now have ten dollars (your five dollars and the five dollars I gave you) and are able to buy food AND cigarettes.

So my five dollars, even though earmarked for food, helped you buy cigarettes.

Just so with federal funding of Planned Parenthood. It enables them to perform abortions. Your argument about legality is a red herring. A red herring that those who vote to fund Planned Parenthood hope the voters don't ever catch onto.

Money is fungible.

If I "defunded" you and took my five dollars back, you would get this fungibility principle the moment your nicotine withdrawals kicked in and you had to decide between buying food or cigarettes. You could no longer buy both.

Take away PP's federal funding, and they will have to decide between abortions and women's health services.

Last edited:

Wake up.

I'm sorry it goes in one of your ears and through the empty space in your brain and out the other.

You're making the case that no person on Medicaid, Medicare, or any other government program should not be able to have their healthcare covered in any medical institution that has ever performed an abortion.

That is asinine.

Wake up.
I don't think anyone really knows how much of PP's "private donations" go to subsidize stuff like mammograms, compared to how much subsidizes abortions. I don't thing G5000's pro choice, but taking away all public funding would reduce PP to being an abortion provider, or facilitator. I'm not sure that's really in the cards, because I am beginning to think most people who are pro-choice to some degree or another may be discounting the videos.

So the fact remains, the RWnuts who are calling for PP to be defunded are lying if they claim abortions are being defunded.

Wake up.

I'm sorry it goes in one of your ears and through the empty space in your brain and out the other.

You're making the case that no person on Medicaid, Medicare, or any other government program should not be able to have their healthcare covered in any medical institution that has ever performed an abortion.

Your double negatives are making your straw man fallacy even more unintelligent than it already is.

It is very simple. Planned Parenthood performs abortions. It is able to do so because it receives federal funding.

Take away federal funding from Planned Parenthood and give it to an organization which does not perform abortions.

This is really, really, really simple to understand...you know...if you WANT to understand. No need to toss out red herrings and straw men in your frustration at having federal money taken away which enables abortions.

The argument this would hurt women's health services is a bullshit smoke screen.

If I gave you five dollars, and you have five dollars, you are able to buy food and cigarettes.

If I take away my five dollars, you cannot claim I am taking food out of your mouth if you choose to use your five dollars to buy cigarettes instead of food. YOU made that decision. Quit smoking, and you can afford to eat.

Get it now?

By arguing that defunding would affect health services, Planned Parenthood is choosing abortions over health services. THEY are making that decision. Quit abortions, and they can afford to provide health services.

Once again, Planned Parenthood is choosing abortions over health services.

Hmmmm...

Wake up.

Your double negatives are making your straw man fallacy even more unintelligent than it already is.

It is very simple. Planned Parenthood performs abortions. It is able to do so because it receives federal funding.

Take away federal funding from Planned Parenthood and give it to an organization which does not perform abortions.

This is really, really, really simple to understand...you know...if you WANT to understand. No need to toss out red herrings and straw men in your frustration at having federal money taken away which enables abortions.

The argument this would hurt women's health services is a bullshit smoke screen.

Well, not if having safe and accessible abortions is a woman's health service.

Wake up.

lol, get the votes then.

You're full of shit. The government does not fund abortions at PP.

Wake up.

PP frames it as an either/or. Either abortions OR health services.

They are choosing abortions over health services.

What's more, abortion is not a health service to the vast, vast, vast majority of women who get abortions. Less than one percent of abortions are to save the life of the mother.

So that's another bullshit smokescreen.

Wake up.

Is it illegal for the US government to provide aid to Israel given that the Israeli government funds abortions?

Ah! The Republicans! When scandal rocked the Veteran's Administration, no one but no one called for eliminating the VA.

But when it comes to women's health, Republicans jump at the chance to perpetuate their unwarranted war on women.

Anyone see any irony here? Or does everyone accept the fact that Republicans just have disdain for everyone else?

Wake up.

PP frames it as an either/or. Either abortions OR health services.

They are choosing abortions over health services.

What's more, abortion is not a health service to the vast, vast, vast majority of women who get abortions. Less than one percent of abortions are to save the life of the mother.

So that's another bullshit smokescreen.

Family planning is a health issue.

Forum List

Back