'Drive High, Get a DUI' campaign launches in Colorado to stop stoned driving

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
All DUI convictions, whether booze or pot, should be a felony and carry a minimum one year license suspension. Let's stop coddling these killers. DUI is a violent drug crime.

'Drive High, Get a DUI' campaign launches in Colorado to stop stoned driving - Story

Mar 6, 2014

DENVER - Colorado is launching a new "Drive High, Get A DUI" campaign to remind drivers that newly legal weed should be treated like alcohol and not consumed before driving.

Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper calls this a top priority, and wants at least 300 officers to be trained with this certification by next year.

During 56 hours of training, officers are taught a 12-step process for recognizing the symptoms of drivers who may be impaired by a variety of drugs or alcohol. With marijuana, the officers are taught to look for enlarged pupils, sniff for the drug's odor and look for small tremors in the driver's body.

"We teach them to look at certain things, and it is kind of an elimination process," said Sgt. Rodney Noga from the Colorado State Patrol.

Officers also check blood pressure, muscle softness and look for injection sites for other kinds of drug use. If drivers fail the observation test, a blood test is the next option to confirm or deny the presence of drug or alcohol impairment.

• Banned
The auto industry is funding this legal pot movement. Car crashes mean car sales.

Given there's no roadside test you can give for pot, won't this give police powers to abuse? We're going to lose more rights becaues of potheads?

Shoot speeders you're so full of shit. They don't have to prove impairment with THC asshole. They'll stick a needle in your arm at the side of the road , find traces of THC a month old and then collect the cash which is ALL this about dumb ass. If the powers that be really cared about DUI's they'd put BAC 0.0 but then nobody would make any money. It's a scam you nitwit.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's not going to be possible to know if the driver was high the time they were driving with how long THC remains in your system. This will lead to more people getting busted.

There's already evidence that with all the new "medical" marijuana use, there has been an increase in vehicle fatalities.

Thanks to the millennials, we're going to be seeing pot use everywhere within the next several years.

Lmaorotff what pothead killers on the road ,those going 10 miles an hour under the speed limit
You can really be comparing driving while stoned to driving while drunk . PLEASE
Free the weed
Please don't step on the grass

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Links to these reports of driving fatalities caused by any kind of pot ?
Please respond

There's already evidence that with all the new "medical" marijuana use, there has been an increase in vehicle fatalities.

Thanks to the millennials, we're going to be seeing pot use everywhere within the next several years.

Thanks to the Greatest Generation and the Baby Boomers, we've seen the Fourth Amendment gutted due to the War on Drugs. Which was worse?

Links to these reports of driving fatalities caused by any kind of pot ?
Please respond

Fatal Car Crashes Involving Pot Use Have Tripled in U.S., Study Finds

TUESDAY, Feb. 4, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- The legalization of marijuana is an idea that is gaining momentum in the United States, but there may be a dark side to pot becoming more commonplace, a new study suggests.

Fatal crashes involving marijuana use tripled during the previous decade, fueling some of the overall increase in drugged-driving traffic deaths, researchers from Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health report.

"Currently, one of nine drivers involved in fatal crashes would test positive for marijuana," said co-author Dr. Guohua Li, director of the Center for Injury Epidemiology and Prevention at Columbia. "If this trend continues, in five or six years non-alcohol drugs will overtake alcohol to become the most common substance involved in deaths related to impaired driving."

The research team drew its conclusions from crash statistics from six states that routinely perform toxicology tests on drivers involved in fatal car wrecks -- California, Hawaii, Illinois, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and West Virginia. The statistics included more than 23,500 drivers who died within one hour of a crash between 1999 and 2010.

Alcohol contributed to about the same percentage of traffic fatalities throughout the decade, about 40 percent, Li said.

But drugs played an increasingly prevalent role in fatal crashes, the researchers found. Drugged driving accounted for more than 28 percent of traffic deaths in 2010, up from more than 16 percent in 1999.

Marijuana proved to be the main drug involved in the increase, contributing to 12 percent of 2010 crashes compared with 4 percent in 1999.

In an endnote to the study, the researchers pointed to several limitations with the research. One is that marijuana can be detected in the blood up to one week after use. And, therefore, the researchers said, "the prevalence of nonalcohol drugs reported in this study should be interpreted as an indicator of drug use, not necessarily a measurement of drug impairment."

The study authors also noted that the combined use of alcohol and marijuana dramatically increases a driver's risk of death.

"If a driver is under the influence of alcohol, their risk of a fatal crash is 13 times higher than the risk of the driver who is not under the influence of alcohol," Li said. "But if the driver is under the influence of both alcohol and marijuana, their risk increases to 24 times that of a sober person."

The researchers found that the increase in marijuana use occurred across all age groups and in both sexes. Their findings were published online Jan. 29 in the American Journal of Epidemiology.

Marijuana impairs driving in much the same way that alcohol does, explained Jonathan Adkins, deputy executive director of the Governors Highway Safety Association. It impairs judgment, affects vision and makes a person more distractible and more likely to take risks while driving.

Fatal Car Crashes Involving Pot Use Have Tripled in U.S., Study Finds ? WebMD

Did you catch this part ?:

"If this trend continues, in five or six years non-alcohol drugs will overtake alcohol to become the most common substance involved in deaths related to impaired driving."

This is not new. People on pain meds have dealt with the DUI issue for years.

Barry should know about drugs. In the 70's his primary drug source was the homosexual community which he was notorious for hanging around with, but I digress. This is about THC and the profit the piggers will make from it. I warned about this before.

Shoot speeders you're so full of shit. They don't have to prove impairment with THC asshole. They'll stick a needle in your arm at the side of the road , find traces of THC a month old .

Hey stupid. We've explained this to you a hundred times. If the THC is in your body a month later, then you're still impaired. You seem to think the THC in the blood in your arm doesn't get into the brain.!!!! Ever hear of circulation, you moron?

Barry should know about drugs. In the 70's his primary drug source was the homosexual community which he was notorious for hanging around with, but I digress.

Ah yes. Obozo and his beloved "choom gang". We got a pervert, druggie, affirmative action baby in the WH.

Actually one will not have "THC" in their bloodstream 30 days later. In fact, THC is not what is detected in a "drug test", blood, urine or hair. The test detects certain cannabolites like Cannabidol, Cannabiden and cannabidonyl. While there is some disagreement about the level of intoxication 30 days later, the fact is in most states, including mine, the law says the presence of cannabolytes in the bloodstream is cause to issue a DUI.
There is a lot of police discrection involved out there in my state. It does appear that those patients of mine that get a dui are medicating while driving, while the patients that get pulled over and are not , go free. It does seem to work somehow, even though the law does seem a little harsh. It does always come back to having good solid police officers who care.

Theses studies were funded by ? National academy of science ? AMA ? Government or privately funded ?

Oh those daredevil pot heads , the Govenors board of hwy safety
Lets harken back to the days of Reefer Madness
I'll take my chances with a stoner driver anyday
But I wouldnt risk your life with a drunk driver

Forum List

Back