Drug tests for unemployment benefits approved

Saturday, May 25, 2013 AP

AUSTIN, TX -- Workers who lose their jobs would have to clear a drug screening to qualify for unemployment compensation under a proposal approved by the Texas Legislature.

Under current law, employers take out insurance policies to help laid-off workers survive on weekly payments of $62 to $440. Those who are fired for cause, including failing an employer-sponsored drug test, do not qualify.

What a great idea. Read more @ Drug tests for unemployment benefits approved by Texas Legislature | abc13.com and watch how quickly the left attacks it.

What a stupid idea. Hey let's treat the unemployed like criminals! Why? Just 'cuz!

Last edited:

What a great idea. Read more @ Drug tests for unemployment benefits approved by Texas Legislature | abc13.com and watch how quickly the left attacks it.

It's a pretty clear violation of privacy.

Texas is a state controlled by twisted fascists.

It's one of the worst places in the U.S. to live.

No it isn't. There isn't a government job on the planet that doesn't require drug screenings. If people want others to support them then it's only fair they do it free of drugs.

It's against Federal law and will be struck down.

No it isn't. There isn't a government job on the planet that doesn't require drug screenings. If people want others to support them then it's only fair they do it free of drugs.

I'm not so sure about that. It's not a blanket requirement, only for those who are flagged for first failing the questionnaire.

AUSTIN, TX -- Workers who lose their jobs would have to clear a drug screening to qualify for unemployment compensation under a proposal approved by the Texas Legislature.

Under current law, employers take out insurance policies to help laid-off workers survive on weekly payments of $62 to $440. Those who are fired for cause, including failing an employer-sponsored drug test, do not qualify.

I don't have a problem with the unemployed who lost their jobs from the recession, downsizing, etc. getting their benefits without a drug screen. Most places require on if you are going to go to work, and most working people have dealt with the 'drug free workplace.' It is the welfare queens that I think need to be drug tested. They do nothng to deserve their benefit.

I worked for the Department of Defense for 1 1/2 years and they never drug tested me.

Your user name makes me think of Sildenafil every time I see it.

Senators and Representatives have a pass a drug screen?

Didn't know that.

:eusa_whistle:

I worked for the Department of Defense for 1 1/2 years and they never drug tested me.

That explains a great many things.

Drug testing is done as a condition for employment in many places random drug testing is done even after your employed but somehow drug testing for unemployment benefits or welfare benefits is unfair that's off the charts silly.

First off..this has already been tried..for welfare recipients and they found a whopping 3% - 5% didn't pass the test.

It's intrusive, it slows things down and it adds cost.

Three things that make no sense for a "benefit" that the users partially pay for anyway.

WTF does personal privacy have to do with it?

Someone wants to apply for a government program and the government wishes to establish their eligibility for it. The person signs the application freely.

How is that too difficult to understand?

[I said ACLU types would try to overturn this, didn't I?]

It's none of the government's business what chemicals a person voluntarily puts in their body.

If a person worked, they have a right to their unemployment benefits no matter what. They already earned them.

None of their business? So, you're cool with secret service agents and the pilot of AF One being on meth or other drugs while on the job? After all, it's no one's business but their own, right?

And if your heart surgeon was smoking pot before surgery, that's okay, too?

Judging from the content of most of your post they should have.

I'm not so sure about that. It's not a blanket requirement, only for those who are flagged for first failing the questionnaire.

The state just can't ask any question they want, and they can't be denied benefits for refusing a drug test. The state would have to prove they lied on the application/claim form.

What an un-Constitutional idea:

The changes approved Saturday would require laid-off workers to fill out state questionnaires. Answers considered suspicious would lead to drug tests. Workers who fail would lose their benefits.

The policy is clearly a violation of 14th Amendment Due Process and Equal Protection rights. The measure is not narrow enough to pass even a rational basis test. That one simply applies for or receives UCB doesn’t make him anymore likely to use drugs than the population as a whole. That someone ‘might’ use drugs is not justification for a test absent evidence of actual illegal drug use. And applicants/recipients of UCB are being singled-out for drug tests for no other reason than they’ve applied for the benefit.

There may very well be 4th Amendment privacy rights violations as well, as we saw in the laws struck down as un-Constitutional requiring public assistance applicants to take a drug test.

Republican Sen. Tommy Williams said the program will help maintain a competent workforce.

Nonsense.

It has nothing to do with a ‘competent workforce,’ and everything to do with protecting corporate interests; otherwise others would be subject to the questionnaire and test, not just UCB applicants.

This measure is motivated by animus toward working Americans who lose their jobs through no fault of their own, and by republican lawmakers seeking to help employers avoid paying UCB, at the expense of American workers.

It’s reprehensible.

uhm

UE is also taken out of my check, so this is an invasion of privacy.

I'd be cool with checking on actual welfare people, since that is my money as well.

What a stupid idea. Hey let's treat the unemployed like criminals! Why? Just 'cuz!

The point is that the system has been abused by criminals to such an extreme that politicians are trying to find a way to remedy the problem without actually fixing it, seeing as taking welfare away from millions would be political suicide... But requiring a drug test *could* make those that pay taxes happy to see. And not all welfare people are on drugs.

The idea is simple, people get welfare though HC/food card/Education/UE.... On one hand they use these funds to pay for one thing while they use any other monies they make to pay for drugs/alcohol. This very real issue annoys those that pay enough taxes to where their money not only pays for their use of roads/infrastructure and so on, but to pay for other peoples recreational drug use.

Both policies are wrong, welfare creates dependency as has been proven with a basic level of intelligence and the ability to research the issue, and the drug testing is just another predictable symptom of welfare.

uhm

I'd be cool with checking on actual welfare people, since that is my money as well.

Very few people pay into UE what they take out of it when they use it. That is the main issue, it's simply welfare, abused by most, not all.

You really think someone working for 1 year 3 months for min wadge saved enough for UE that carries 2 years out?

uhm

Very few people pay into UE what they take out of it when they use it. That is the main issue, it's simply welfare, abused by most, not all.

You really think someone working for 1 year 3 months for min wadge saved enough for UE that carries 2 years out?

Most people work for more than 1 year and 3 months in a life time.

Some states are already drug testing people on welfare and its just a matter of time before they all will do it.

uhm

I don't make the rules.

The FF did and this is a clear invasion of privacy of someone that clearly was, and will be, a taxpayer.

Taking UE for a low income person will = homelessness for some.

Forum List

Back