Drug tests for unemployment benefits approved

Good, now we need to drug test welfare recipientd.

The courts have ruled that drug tests as a condition of eligibility for pubic assistance are un-Constitutional. A Florida law requiring drug tests was invalidated some two years ago.

It’s becoming increasingly difficult to not come to the conclusion that all conservatives are enemies of individual liberty, the Constitution, and the rule of law in addition to seeking to expand the size, power, and authority of government at the expense of individual liberty.

My bad.

Excellent surprise to learn a judge or panel of judges got an important decision right.

Some on here making the 'due process' argument are on another thread arguing that the president has the right to kill American citizens using a drone without due process. I wish they would make their minds up. Their internal conflict must be debilitating.

He has a right to eliminate military targets in accordance with the Congressional directive to fight a global war against terrorism. How it is you could side with the terrorists and claim to be an American is beyond me.

He killed a teenage boy whose only crime was having a douche for a dad.

Not that that matters to liberals anymore. Seems citizens being murdered is just fine now that there's a (D) in the wh

It's a pretty clear violation of privacy.

Texas is a state controlled by twisted fascists.

It's one of the worst places in the U.S. to live.

WTF does personal privacy have to do with it?

Someone wants to apply for a government program and the government wishes to establish their eligibility for it. The person signs the application freely.

How is that too difficult to understand?

[I said ACLU types would try to overturn this, didn't I?]

It's none of the government's business what chemicals a person voluntarily puts in their body.

If a person worked, they have a right to their unemployment benefits no matter what. They already earned them.

The truth always comes out. It seems like someone is taking it personal

WTF does personal privacy have to do with it?

Someone wants to apply for a government program and the government wishes to establish their eligibility for it. The person signs the application freely.

How is that too difficult to understand?

[I said ACLU types would try to overturn this, didn't I?]

It's none of the government's business what chemicals a person voluntarily puts in their body.

If a person worked, they have a right to their unemployment benefits no matter what. They already earned them.

None of their business? So, you're cool with secret service agents and the pilot of AF One being on meth or other drugs while on the job? After all, it's no one's business but their own, right?

And if your heart surgeon was smoking pot before surgery, that's okay, too?

If they can handle it.

Your comparison is stupid.

A person on unemployment has no responsibilities. Those other people are responsible for other people's safety.

Actually, I think some drugs could improve a Secret Service agent's job performance.

Can we get drug tests for corporate welfare?

We don't want them taking our money and buying drugs with it

Some states are already drug testing people on welfare and its just a matter of time before they all will do it.

It's working it's way up to the Supreme Court.

On February 26, 2013, a panel of the US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit preliminarily found in Lebron v. Florida Department of Children and Families that suspicionless drug testing of welfare recipients is unconstitutional under the Fourth Amendment, and that requiring consent to such testing as a condition of receiving welfare violates the doctrine of unconstitutional conditions. More specifically, the court upheld the US District Court for the Middle District of Florida ruling on the ground that it did not abuse its discretion in finding the plaintiffs likely to succeed on the merits of their claim. Thus, Florida's recently enacted drug testing program must be suspended. The program required all applicants for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) to pay for a urinalysis. If the results were positive, applicants would become ineligible to receive TANF benefits for one year.

JURIST - Dateline

Some on here making the 'due process' argument are on another thread arguing that the president has the right to kill American citizens using a drone without due process. I wish they would make their minds up. Their internal conflict must be debilitating.

He has a right to eliminate military targets in accordance with the Congressional directive to fight a global war against terrorism. How it is you could side with the terrorists and claim to be an American is beyond me.

He killed a teenage boy whose only crime was having a douche for a dad.

Not that that matters to liberals anymore. Seems citizens being murdered is just fine now that there's a (D) in the wh

Seems terrorists being able to act with impunity by being U.S. citizens or using their U.S. citizen children as human shields is just fine with you. Or perhaps you're fine with the collateral damage so long as it doesn't involve drone strikes? We need to place a U.S. military pilot or soldier at risk, instead, right? Because drones are evil - smart bombs are okay? Or has the latter changed?

Good, now we need to drug test welfare recipientd.

And give mental competency tests for fundamentalist Christians. I would make my job easier is determining and weed out who is a loon before I even think about hiring one :eusa_whistle:

Any employer should have the right to discriminate against Christians, or muslims, Jews or atheists.

Employers should have the absolute right to apply a religious test to all employees and weed out who is a loon before they think about hiring one.

Anyone who gets veterans benefits or Social Security should be required to pass periodic drug tests

Saturday, May 25, 2013 AP

AUSTIN, TX -- Workers who lose their jobs would have to clear a drug screening to qualify for unemployment compensation under a proposal approved by the Texas Legislature.

Under current law, employers take out insurance policies to help laid-off workers survive on weekly payments of $62 to $440. Those who are fired for cause, including failing an employer-sponsored drug test, do not qualify.

What a great idea. Read more @ Drug tests for unemployment benefits approved by Texas Legislature | abc13.com and watch how quickly the left attacks it.

uhm

UE is also taken out of my check, so this is an invasion of privacy.

I'd be cool with checking on actual welfare people, since that is my money as well.

UE is not taken out of your check, provide a link where it is?. Your employer pays it not you. So you could consider if we didnt have UE people should have been paid more.

Here's the bottom line. The cost of drug testing will make any self respecting fiscal conservative puke. One four screen test (THC, Opiates, Cocaine, Meth) cost $11 (it did in 2005, the year I retired) and requires a chain of custody to meet due process laws. I think the lawmakers in Texas are lunatics.

Chain of custody? Due process? They aren't accused of committing a crime. These aren't issues.

In order to qualify for unemployment benefits the person has to be able to work. If they are drugged or drunk they aren't able to work. Very simple.

I filed for unemployment at the beginning of '09 and it was a big, fat pain in the ass. Anyone who thinks it's easy collecting unemployment has never collected unemployment.

You can work while collecting unemployment; your unemployment earnings are simply reduced according to how much you work while collecting. I mistakenly understated my work earning by a few dollars because I forgot to include some travel time and I was penalized by having to pay back the understated earnings PLUS a 30% penalty PLUS I was restricted from collecting for 7 weeks (meaning I had to file for 7 weeks but get no money even if I qualified for UE).

I was doing this stone cold sober.

It's hard enough getting the paperwork correct sober. There's no way alcoholics or drug addicts can even fill out the forms and go through the government bureaucracy.

It's just another mountain being made out of a molehill by scared, hysterical conservatives hating on poor people.

AUSTIN, TX -- Workers who lose their jobs would have to clear a drug screening to qualify for unemployment compensation under a proposal approved by the Texas Legislature.

Under current law, employers take out insurance policies to help laid-off workers survive on weekly payments of $62 to $440. Those who are fired for cause, including failing an employer-sponsored drug test, do not qualify.

What a great idea. Read more @ Drug tests for unemployment benefits approved by Texas Legislature | abc13.com and watch how quickly the left attacks it.

And how the hell did you come to your conclusion? Pulled it out of your ass.......thats how.

And how the hell did you come to your conclusion? Pulled it out of your ass.......thats how.

Wait this guy is saying that the drug tests are a violation of privacy?? That logic just made me crap my pants.

If the government is giving you money...wanting to know if the person needs it because they are a crack head seems pretty valid. If you need the money and follow the rules, you have nothing to worry about.

No it isn't. There isn't a government job on the planet that doesn't require drug screenings. If people want others to support them then it's only fair they do it free of drugs.

I don't know where you get your information. Most government jobs don't require drug screening.

You all understand that the cost of this program is going to far exceed any potential savings?

No reason to drug test people on unemployment or SS. They worked for those benefits.
People on perpetual welfare? Hell yes drug test the shit out of em.

Reasonable distinctions, indeed. But we still need to ask whether or not the cost savings will outweigh the cost. You must also consider the fact that particular drug testing methods can create incentives that can lead people to worse addiction. For instance, marijuana is detectable for weeks in a urine test, but crack cocaine can only be detected for a day or so. This creates the perverse incentive for the marijuana user undergoing regular urine testing to switch to crack.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back