eBay gives moms 6 months paid maternity leave. Dads get just 3 months.

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
This is unfair to men and, of course, unfair to single people.

eBay to give new moms 6 months of paid leave

dec 4 2015 eBay has joined the growing number of tech companies that have beefed up its parental benefits.
The company announced Friday that new moms will be able to take 24 weeks of leave at full pay following the birth of their child -- an increase from 10 weeks at 80% pay.

New dads, who previously weren't offered any paid leave, will be offered 12 weeks at full pay.

The updated benefits go into effect at the start of 2016 and apply to all hourly and salaried workers who are scheduled to work 20 hours or more per week.

eBay (EBAY) also announced a new Family Care Leave policy that allows workers to take 12 weeks off to care for a sick family member at full pay.

Last week, Facebook (FB, Tech30) enhanced its global paternity leave, and streaming service Spotify recently announced new moms and dads can take six months of paid leave following birth or adoption. In early November, Amazon (AMZN, Tech30) increased its paid leave to new moms to 20 weeks while dads can take six weeks.

dec 4 2015 eBay has joined the growing number of tech companies that have beefed up its parental benefits.
The company announced Friday that new moms will be able to take 24 weeks of leave at full pay following the birth of their child -- an increase from 10 weeks at 80% pay.

New dads, who previously weren't offered any paid leave, will be offered 12 weeks at full pay.

The updated benefits go into effect at the start of 2016 and apply to all hourly and salaried workers who are scheduled to work 20 hours or more per week.

eBay (EBAY) also announced a new Family Care Leave policy that allows workers to take 12 weeks off to care for a sick family member at full pay.

Last week, Facebook (FB, Tech30) enhanced its global paternity leave, and streaming service Spotify recently announced new moms and dads can take six months of paid leave following birth or adoption. In early November, Amazon (AMZN, Tech30) increased its paid leave to new moms to 20 weeks while dads can take six weeks.
So, instead of praising eBay for their incredible generous benefit to their employees, you bitch and whine that eBay is being unfair.

The fact is, most men are not going to use this benefit. 12 weeks is a very long time to be away from your desk, and during that time other people will be encroaching on your turf, taking away your work, and you may not be able to get it back when you return.

• Banned
The fact is, most men are not going to use this benefit. 12 weeks is a very long time to be away from your desk, and during that time other people will be encroaching on your turf, taking away your work, and you may not be able to get it back when you return.

HAHAHA. A 12 week paid vacation and you say men will turn it down?? HAHA

Yes, I would not take 12 weeks off under any circumstances. Such a long absence from your job could be a serious hit on your career. Most of the other men in the office will categorize you as a man who doesn't take his job seriously. Women, on the other hand, can take maternity leave, and no one will hold it against her.

I hate these liberal notions that men need maternity leave. EBay should be put out of business for having stupid benefits that the customer is paying for as a hidden charge. If the mother dies in childbirth, then and only then would I pay for leave for the father.

In this day and age women should be able to be stay a home mums. The fact that this is even deemed necessary, is a step backwards.

During the industrialisation of Britain, there came a time when they made it illegal to make a woman work more than 10 hours a day, and a child more than 8(the men were still forced to work 16). By the 50s we'd fine tuned it down to women being mostly being able to devote all their days to the the production of family (to themselves, because what else is prodigy?).

We've gone backwards. Fact.

Plus, how are smaller companies meant to compete with Ebay on this?

Yes, I would not take 12 weeks off under any circumstances. Such a long absence from your job could be a serious hit on your career. Most of the other men in the office will categorize you as a man who doesn't take his job seriously. Women, on the other hand, can take maternity leave, and no one will hold it against her.
That only happens if your skill level is that of low hanging fruit. If taking 12 weeks off would cause a serious hit to your career you need to become more than just average or get a new career. What do you do bag groceries or something?

I have taken maternity leave for almost half a year twice and it had no effect on my career. Its interesting you are concerned about what other men in the office think of you. Do you have any backbone?

Last edited:

Its only unfair to men if they are the ones that actually give birth. As it is this is a pretty generous benefit even though its required by law in CA. I think its longer than what the law specifies. I know I only got 6 weeks or something like that paid.

Hold it against her or no one will notice/be affected? Thanks for making a woman's efforts worthless.

I hate these liberal notions that men need maternity leave. EBay should be put out of business for having stupid benefits that the customer is paying for as a hidden charge. If the mother dies in childbirth, then and only then would I pay for leave for the father.
Your hate of men having maternal leave is indicative of ignorance. Bonding with your child is one of the best experiences you can have as a male. I'm glad I dont think like you anymore.

Hold it against her or no one will notice/be affected? Thanks for making a woman's efforts worthless.
Welcome to the work force. Everyone can be replaced .

Not my point, asshole. Of course everyone is expendable. Your post was clearly sexist. That's what is objectionable. Crawl out of the dark ages, buddy!

Quick, run out and get pregnant! Make sure you have a C-section (recovery time is longer, never mind the pain) and don't forget to breast-feed. Employers hate it when you bring the baby to work.

Men are expected to work hard, make money, and support the family.

Men don't need paternity leave.

Not my point, asshole. Of course everyone is expendable. Your post was clearly sexist. That's what is objectionable. Crawl out of the dark ages, buddy!
Be thankful they get maternity leave at all.

Like I said. The workforce doesn't care what you are or aren't capable of... There is always someone that can do the same job.

Quick, run out and get pregnant! Make sure you have a C-section (recovery time is longer, never mind the pain) and don't forget to breast-feed. Employers hate it when you bring the baby to work.
Must be why all of them now have rooms available for new mothers to use breast pumps in private.

It's the joy of the private sector advocated by you and other conservatives.

As any rightists would say: if a male eBay employee doesn't like it, he can find somewhere else to work.

Men are expected to work hard, make money, and support the family.

Men don't need paternity leave.
Maybe this explains why white women are running after Black men. There fathers are never there for them even if they live in the same home.
As opposed to black baby daddy's with multiple baby momma's they don't pay child support for?

Yeah.. Not thinking so.

Forum List

Back