Ebola outbreak

So it is stupid to help American's survive Ebola? Wow.

Need help packing?

We don't need to survive Ebola since we never had it here before retards like you brought it here.

So we should just HOPE it never comes here? The incubation period can be up to 21 days. If you are this panicked about bring two Americans home to be treated, you must lie awake at night worrying that someone will bring it over in that 3 week period before the symptoms show.

A major outbreak of any communicable disease is everyone's business.

Besides, quit wetting your pants. Ebola is not nearly as easily spread as you think. It takes physical contact with infected fluids, meat or organs (or eating infected meat).

Ebola is not a particularly contagious disease in modern society.

It is highly contagious. Is is spread through any bodily fluid including sweat, tears, cough droplets or sneezes. You could get Ebola from a door knob.

In the US it will likely spread the way AIDS was spread.

More and more though I'm getting sick of this attitude by my fellow Americans that we are the saviors of the world, and we must act.
Again, I'm well aware these two individuals are Americans. It wouldn't matter though, and that's the point. If there's a disaster, we must act, if there's oppressed individuals, we must be the rescuers and bring them here. If there'a tyrant, we must destroy him/her.
Let another country take the lead for a change. Quit encouraging this idea that America is Superman.

No supermen, or women; the USA remains the leader of the free world, because we do care, we do take risks.

I'm all for humanitarian causes, but for this particular disease, I would strictly take the healthcare to the patient, and not the other way around.
I realize these individuals are Americans, but I would keep any confirmed cases of Ebola from getting into the country. No exceptions.

As Winterborn wrote, it is not very contagious, and, in any event, this country does not hide from danger. The US has developed treatments for many diseases that baffled the rest of the world.

What do you though personally consider " not very contagious", because I was watching a guy on CNN a few days back that said if you brushed up against someone with the disease, you could come down with it.
Now maybe to the medical world, that's not very contagious, but I didn't exactly feel assured by that claim.

More and more though I'm getting sick of this attitude by my fellow Americans that we are the saviors of the world, and we must act.
Again, I'm well aware these two individuals are Americans. It wouldn't matter though, and that's the point. If there's a disaster, we must act, if there's oppressed individuals, we must be the rescuers and bring them here. If there'a tyrant, we must destroy him/her.
Let another country take the lead for a change. Quit encouraging this idea that America is Superman.

No supermen, or women; the USA remains the leader of the free world, because we do care, we do take risks.

Well it's fine to go on caring, but I'm ready to let some other countries do the heavy lifting for a change.

I'm all for humanitarian causes, but for this particular disease, I would strictly take the healthcare to the patient, and not the other way around.
I realize these individuals are Americans, but I would keep any confirmed cases of Ebola from getting into the country. No exceptions.

As Winterborn wrote, it is not very contagious, and, in any event, this country does not hide from danger. The US has developed treatments for many diseases that baffled the rest of the world.

What do you though personally consider " not very contagious", because I was watching a guy on CNN a few days back that said if you brushed up against someone with the disease, you could come down with it.
Now maybe to the medical world, that's not very contagious, but I didn't exactly feel assured by that claim.

There are 4 different identified strains; Zaire, Ivory Coast, Sudan, and Reston:

They do know that it can spread through direct contact with infected blood, especially on contaminated needles, and possibly through the nasal or respiratory secretions of someone who is infected. Health care workers and family members tending to the people who have the virus risk becoming infected. The needles used to take blood samples are an extreme biohazard * because accidental needle pricks to health care workers can transmit the infection to them. Traditions in some African cultures may contribute to the spread of Ebola virus. For example, some funeral rites require a ritual cleansing of the corpse, which can bring a loved one into contact with the blood or other body fluids of the deceased. Also, ape meat is considered a delicacy in parts of Africa. Some scientists recommend that people not eat it because it might contain the Ebola virus, which can infect non-human primates such as monkeys and chimpanzees.

Read more: Ebola Virus Infection - body, viral, contagious, causes, What Is Ebola?

There are 4 different identified strains; Zaire, Ivory Coast, Sudan, and Reston:

They do know that it can spread through direct contact with infected blood, especially on contaminated needles, and possibly through the nasal or respiratory secretions of someone who is infected. Health care workers and family members tending to the people who have the virus risk becoming infected. The needles used to take blood samples are an extreme biohazard * because accidental needle pricks to health care workers can transmit the infection to them. Traditions in some African cultures may contribute to the spread of Ebola virus. For example, some funeral rites require a ritual cleansing of the corpse, which can bring a loved one into contact with the blood or other body fluids of the deceased. Also, ape meat is considered a delicacy in parts of Africa. Some scientists recommend that people not eat it because it might contain the Ebola virus, which can infect non-human primates such as monkeys and chimpanzees.

Read more: Ebola Virus Infection - body, viral, contagious, causes, What Is Ebola?

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info.

Not "very" contagious isn't the correct term; thus far, no airborne contact, except Reston, which is asymptomatic in humans, has been confirmed. The mutation is the scary aspect.

Africa doesn't want educated Europeans there.... They want what is theirs.

The medical care isn't theirs, Ebola is theirs..
So why are we giving away the healthcare that is ours and risking being infected by their diseases ?

I agree with Winterborn and others that to PREVENT it from causing a worse outbreak
that would spiral out of control, it is best to cap it early. That window could close,
and one optimistic estimate still predicted an unprecedented number of deaths
before this epidemic is put down by the middle of 2015 at the earliest.

How Ebola sped out of control The Washington Post

The number one issue that was blocking progress and fast enough response
was human conflict usurping time and resources, stalling action from taking place.

The best we can do is support groups that ARE equipped to manage this,
get them what they need, and do not waste any further energy in conflict which does not help.

In the link above, it was noted people were commenting politically to make social statements
which has nothing to do with solving the problems. That is the same obstruction
that allowed this epidemic to go farther than before. The areas are poverty stricken
from civil war, and don't have the luxury we have to sit around and argue about it
which is what held up the resources while the crisis was escalating and people die
and spread the disease without enough help to contain it. The tragedy is greater than
any anger or blame anyone could project onto whoever they feel is most responsible.

That can be sorted out later, but the point is to cap it immediately so it doesn't spread more out of control.

Ebola is not very contagious?

LMAO..would you ride in a car or fly in an airplane with someone who had it?

Well it's fine to go on caring, but I'm ready to let some other countries do the heavy lifting for a change.

1. The expert who first diagnosed the initial outbreak as Ebola was from FRANCE.

Also Doctors without Borders (MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERS) is based in FRANCE whose staff are among the most experienced and effective in this field and were the ones who most vocally sounded the alarm.

This isn't just about the US.

Medical resources and help ARE coming from other countries but still not enough.

2. Here is what a Liberian Nursing student did on her own to save her family until they could get
transferred to proper medical care:
In Liberia one woman s singular fight against Ebola - LA Times

There is no time for "them vs. us" or "we vs. who"
This is about finding all the available help
so the problem doesn't escalate worse BEYOND what ANYONE can do to fix it.

We still have a chance at this point to cap it, and should take full advantage while we can!
The resources in the hundreds of millions are still short of the $1 billion estimated cost.
But at least there is team effort pulled together from other nations.

It will take a lot more work, and I see the people as heroes for doing all they can.
The stories I read online, for all the local health workers who were afraid to go to work,
there were many others risking their lives and health to keep fighting and doing their jobs so it didn't get worse.

If everyone gave up "and waited on someone else to step in"
because there weren't enough resources, there would be no chance at all of capping this.

Again, look at this brave young woman who didn't give up but used her
limited knowledge as a nurse to save her family's lives (when there was no
room to take them in at the hospital). She only lost one young cousin out of the people she
kept in isolation at home, treating them with the supplies she knew how to use:

In Liberia one woman s singular fight against Ebola - LA Times

^ how can you not have compassion for people being as courageous and effective
as they can be, under unsurmountable odds in the face of absolute disaster. ^

I don't even want to be around people with a FLU or a cold, because I can't afford to get sick.
(I work at two jobs. If I get sick I pose a risk to two workplaces.
Even if I took time off, I would still have to catch up all the work I miss that nobody else can do.)

Nobody can afford risks of contagion with this virus; especially with the medications out of supply.

As it is, the use of the limited ZMapp to treat the missionary in Spain
was contested by some people who thought it should be saved for others with a greater chance of survival.

Why risk creating more cases in more places,
when doctors cannot even treat all the cases in Africa now that are doubling every 3 weeks?

I don't even want to be around people with a FLU or a cold, because I can't afford to get sick.
(I work at two jobs. If I get sick I pose a risk to two workplaces.
Even if I took time off, I would still have to catch up all the work I miss that nobody else can do.)

Nobody can afford risks of contagion with this virus; especially with the medications out of supply.

As it is, the use of the limited ZMapp to treat the missionary in Spain
was contested by some people who thought it should be saved for others with a greater chance of survival.

Why risk creating more cases in more places,
when doctors cannot even treat all the cases in Africa now that are doubling every 3 weeks?

I agree. We don't need third world diseases to get footholds in the u.s.
Close the borders immediately and ban anyone who travels from a hot zone....that's why it's so comical that whatshername said Ebola wasn't very contagious...Some people will just say ANYTHING to get attention..

LMAO....

Close the borders immediately and ban anyone who travels from a hot zone....that's why it's so comical that whatshername said Ebola wasn't very contagious...Some people will just say ANYTHING to get attention..

LMAO....

1. I understand that travel bans should not block RELIEF workers
coming into these areas. But if the military is in charge, can't
they just permit trained staff to fly and and out. Wouldn't that
open up the flow for ONLY emergency personnel to fly in and out
who are part of a fixed protocol and go through screening at fixed sites so it is contained.

When there is a natural disaster like a hurricane, or even flooding
or ice, the normal procedure is to ask all people who DON'T need to be
traveling to stay home and SAVE the roads for Emergency Response only.
It also saves the hassle of creating MORE wrecks for the strained resources to respond to.

Why isn't that applied here?

2. I also understand the need to KEEP the commerce going,
so food and other supplies flow in and out as normal especially with this crisis.
As it is, diseases like malaria can't be treated either because of lack of resources
strained by this crisis, so even more people will die of other conditions as well, including starvation and malnutrition.

Again, why can't the flow of traffic be even MORE dedicated to those
necessary services to make sure resources go directly to the troubled areas as the prerogative?

I guess the countries and govts are so disorganized following the
years of civil wars, they don't have the resources to coordinate this?
If they did, the epidemic would never have escalated to this point due to the very
strapped and deadlocked bureaucracies without effective management.

3. when Louisiana had their big Katrina crisis, and thousands of people had to be flown out
quickly to start receiving care and treatment, there was no govt protocol to handle such a disaster.

Independent church, nonprofits and businesses pulled together in different
cities like Houston to take in evacuees, and had to just do what needed to be done to act quickly,
and work out the costs later.

It looks like the real heroes in this case are also the people
and organizations that just take on that responsibility to do what they can.

We should learn a lot about govt and health care systems,
and what we take for granted by looking into the political history of
Liberia and these other countries across Africa, to understand how good we have it.

You don't know how much difference it makes
until you see what goes wrong when you don't have the resources and leadership in place!

May all the brave heroes fighting this battle receive
all the help and support they need to succeed,
cap the losses and keep the damage to the very minimum.

God bless all people who are grieving and suffering in conflict right now,
that we may learn how to better use our resources more wisely
and benefit from the examples and experience of others
to solve these problems effectively and make the world run more sustainably.

Peace and thanks to all ~

LMAO....

3. when Louisiana had their big Katrina crisis, and thousands of people had to be flown out
quickly to start receiving care and treatment, there was no govt protocol to handle such a disaster.

We can get the 82nd Airborne or the 101st halfway around the world overnight if we want to invade another country...Don't tell me the u.s. gvmt couldn't figure out how to get food, water and healthcare to citizens in their own country for over 5 days.

80% of new orleans was under water for over 2 weeks...the largest man made disaster in american history...(due to corps of engineer levee failures).

We have entire DIVISIONS of seabees and engineers in the service..Don't tell me we can't apply their skills when a situation like katrina occurs...I'll bet if it was washington DC they would have figured it out...

There was a severe healthcare crisis in the city/area for months afterward...We have huge hospital ships that could have been sailed up the river and docked at the port.

cities like Houston to take in evacuees, and had to just do what needed to be done to act quickly,

Yes.

...and we pay taxes for what reasons, again?

Liberia and these other countries across Africa, to understand how good we have it.

Whatever. We built this nation out of nothing in a few hundred years...africa has been there for thousands...We don't need to study them...They should be studying us...they still practice slavery and burn witches in africa..I don't think there's much we could learn from them.

until you see what goes wrong when you don't have the resources and leadership in place!

I know all about not having "resources" or "effective leadership in place"...or electricity..or food..or water...or stores...or gasoline...

In fact, I get to practice for a couple of weeks almost every year.
I've lived through every hurricane that hit n.o. since betsy... Most of us know how to survive down here. Believe that.

Yeah..that's nice...

Last edited:
Africa doesn't want educated Europeans there.... They want what is theirs.

The medical care isn't theirs, Ebola is theirs..
So why are we giving away the healthcare that is ours and risking being infected by their diseases ?
I thought we had the worse healthcare system wasn't that the reason for obamacare?
I don't blame the people of Africa I wouldn't want such as fucked health system in my continent either if that is true what the democrats said.

So it is stupid to help American's survive Ebola? Wow.

Need help packing?

We don't need to survive Ebola since we never had it here before retards like you brought it here.

So we should just HOPE it never comes here? The incubation period can be up to 21 days. If you are this panicked about bring two Americans home to be treated, you must lie awake at night worrying that someone will bring it over in that 3 week period before the symptoms show.

A major outbreak of any communicable disease is everyone's business.

Besides, quit wetting your pants. Ebola is not nearly as easily spread as you think. It takes physical contact with infected fluids, meat or organs (or eating infected meat).

Ebola is not a particularly contagious disease in modern society.

It is highly contagious. Is is spread through any bodily fluid including sweat, tears, cough droplets or sneezes. You could get Ebola from a door knob.

In the US it will likely spread the way AIDS was spread.
Humidity and fog also

LMAO....

We can get the 82nd Airborne or the 101st halfway around the world overnight if we want to invade another country...Don't tell me the u.s. gvmt couldn't figure out how to get food, water and healthcare to citizens in their own country for over 5 days.

80% of new orleans was under water for over 2 weeks...the largest man made disaster in american history...(due to corps of engineer levee failures).

We have entire DIVISIONS of seabees and engineers in the service..Don't tell me we can't apply their skills when a situation like katrina occurs...I'll bet if it was washington DC they would have figured it out...

There was a severe healthcare crisis in the city/area for months afterward...We have huge hospital ships that could have been sailed up the river and docked at the port.

Yes.

Whatever. We built this nation out of nothing in a few hundred years...africa has been there for thousands...We don't need to study them...They should be studying us...they still practice slavery and burn witches in africa..I don't think there's much we could learn from them.

I know all about not having "resources" or "effective leadership in place"...or electricity..or food..or water...or stores...or gasoline...

I've lived through every hurricane that hit n.o. since betsy... Most of us know how to survive down here. Believe that.

Yeah..that's nice...

Hi Rotagilla: I totally AGREE we SHOULD be able to implement resources and solutions quickly
instead of only being driven by who can get the most political points for which media hype or spin can be applied.

Maybe as we get more united than divided, we will see better govt management as a result.

More Peace and Power to you and everyone in all nations
struggling to come to terms right now.

===============================
I was reading COMMENTS on this article where the man who traveled from Liberia to Nigeria
led to 20 cases, 8 being fatal including his own and a prominent Doctor and other Nurses and professionals:
EXCLUSIVE How Liberian Govt Cleared Patrick Sawyer to Travel to Nigeria while under observation for Ebola Premium Times Nigeria

They are going through the same thing:
people are YELLING about the incompetent leadership of their President
the same way people here are yelling about Obama and our govt.

And other posters are saying: hey let's unite and get past this crisis first.
We can have this debate later, but not now, while lives are at stake.

People are blaming the Liberian and Nigerian govt for their politics, too,
Grieving for the loss of the doctor and staff and blaming that man for lying.

So we still have it good compared to what these people in Africa are
facing, living in fear, but having to pull together if they are going to survive this crisis
where the risk of outbreaks will continue through next year. Can you imagine
living in that political mess with this added medical crisis adding to the pressures?

Let us pray for all Africans to unite and be healed first and foremost, and fix these problems later through that unified strength. There have long been tribal divisions and uncivil wars and genocides, but there are also brave noble people, not just leaders but everyday heroes
struggle against the odds to win the battles they can. They need and deserve
all the support they can to pull together and pull out of this successfully.

Very inspiring to see them going through the same struggles
yet trying to encourage each other to lay off the negative politics and pull together.

We are not so different after all, are we. Are we not going through the same thing
but in our case we have the luxury of NOT having this scary risk hanging over our heads
as they are in the very countries with porous border traffic and imperfect security,
govt and health care problems even worse than what we complain about here.

If they can keep the virus contained and from breaking out again,
then anyone can. I think they deserve that support. We can learn a lot more from this than I thought.
===================

Ebola Second doctor infected by Patrick Sawyer survives tells full story - DailyPost Nigeria

^ this story made me cry. I will have to go back and finish it later, did not get through the whole thing without crying. story from the second doctor infected in Nigeria who survived the ordeal ^

Excerpts:
"Speaking on her encounter with the late Nurse Justina Ejelonu at the ward she said, “Later that evening, Dr. David brought another lady into the ward. I recognized her immediately as Justina Ejelonu, a nurse who had started working at First Consultants on the 21st of July, a day after Patrick Saywer was admitted. She was on duty on the day Patrick reported that he was stooling. While she was attending to him that night, he had yanked off his drip, letting his blood flow almost like a tap onto her hands. Justina was pregnant and was brought into our ward bleeding from a suspected miscarriage. She had been told she was there only on observation. The news that she had contracted Ebola was broken to her the following day after results of her blood test came out positive. Justina was devastated and wept profusely – she had contracted Ebola on her first day at work."
"“My recovery after discharge has been gradual but progressive. I thank God for the support of family and friends. I remember my colleagues who we lost in this battle. Dr. Adadevoh my boss, Nurse Justina Ejelonu, and the ward maid, Mrs. Ukoh were heroines who lost their lives in the cause to protect Nigeria. They will never be forgotten.'

Last edited:

LMAO....

Yes.

Yeah..that's nice...

Hi Rotagilla: I totally AGREE we SHOULD be able to implement resources and solutions quickly
instead of only being driven by who can get the most political points for which media hype or spin can be applied.

Maybe as we get more united than divided, we will see better govt management as a result.
===============================
I was reading COMMENTS on this article where the man who traveled from Liberia to Nigeria
led to 20 cases, 8 being fatal including his own and a prominent Doctor and other Nurses and professionals:
EXCLUSIVE How Liberian Govt Cleared Patrick Sawyer to Travel to Nigeria while under observation for Ebola Premium Times Nigeria

They are going through the same thing:
people are YELLING about the incompetent leadership of their President
the same way people here are yelling about Obama and our govt.

And other posters are saying: hey let's unite and get past this crisis first.
We can have this debate later, but not now, while lives are at stake.

People are blaming the Liberian and Nigerian govt for their politics, too,
Grieving for the loss of the doctor and staff and blaming that man for lying.

So we still have it good compared to what these people in Africa are
facing, living in fear, but having to pull together if they are going to survive this crisis
where the risk of outbreaks will continue through next year. Can you imagine
living in that political mess with this added medical crisis adding to the pressures?

Let us pray for all Africans to unite and be healed first and foremost, and fix these problems later through that unified strength. There have long been tribal divisions and uncivil wars and genocides, but there are also brave noble people, not just leaders but everyday heroes
struggle against the odds to win the battles they can. They need and deserve
all the support they can to pull together and pull out of this successfully.

Very inspiring to see them going through the same struggles
yet trying to encourage each other to lay off the negative politics and pull together.

We are not so different after all, are we. Are we not going through the same thing
but in our case we have the luxury of NOT having this scary risk hanging over our heads
as they are in the very countries with porous border traffic and imperfect security,
govt and health care problems even worse than what we complain about here.

If they can keep the virus contained and from breaking out again,
then anyone can. I think they deserve that support. We can learn a lot more from this than I thought.
===================

Ebola Second doctor infected by Patrick Sawyer survives tells full story - DailyPost Nigeria

^ this story made me cry. I will have to go back and finish it later, did not get through the whole thing without crying. story from the second doctor infected in Nigeria who survived the ordeal ^

Africa is a third world continent for good reasons.

Our standards should be higher than Liberia or Nigeria but, as you point out, they aren't.
That is failure of gvmt.

Close the border. That should have been done years ago.
Ban travel from hot zones. That should have been done days ago.

Now we may get to find out how deadly Ebola is in a first world country if it gets loose.
...but luckily for us, the gvmt has everything under control...:rolleyes:

.....someone shows up in Dallas, with Ebola on board.........we didn't see that coming? We didn't see 9/11/2001 coming?
Before the Dallas case, before the Ebola doctors....it was someone else's problem.
I understand how "hard" it is to catch Ebola, that in the "jungle" it is a self limiting disease because it is so efficient at killing....but we are not talking about the jungle anymore are we....?
I'm not panicing, I'm not storing up water and MREs, I'm ready to die.....but I sometimes get the feeling our government isn't doing their job, both sides of the aisle.
I'm willing to bet the "stop all the fuss " posters NEVER imagined Ebola would EVER arrive here...either on purpose or "by accident".......

Look, dumb fuck, this is about people in this nation. Ebola is a dangerous virus. The more we can learn about it, the sooner that we can develop vaccines for it, and anything it might mutate into. At present, it is not that contagious, but it could become so in the future. If we let frightened individuals like you dictate our policies, should it mutate, we will have no defense.

Forum List

Back