CDZ Education Reform

Eliminate the dept of ed and all federal subsides. Let each community educate their own kids as they see fit. Eliminate all federal $$$$$ paid to colleges.

Eliminate the dept of ed and all federal subsides. Let each community educate their own kids as they see fit. Eliminate all federal $$$$$ paid to colleges.

The first thing schools need to do is ask themselves what skills do kids need for the future?

I'd say there are two sides to this.

The first side is work skills. Things like having kids learning what is relevant to their future. History can be used to teach certain skills and needs to be looked at in these regards, rather than learning history for the sake of learning history. Some kids are going to be plumbers, why do they need to study Shakespeare? They don't. In Austria, Germany etc they have technical schools where kids are learning what is relevant to their future from the age of 13 to 18. When they leave school they're equipped to go get a job.

The second is social skills. Things like decision making here are essential. Yes, History can be used, but kids need stuff that is also more relevant to their lives. Discussing issues which will impact them, relationships, child rearing, food and nutrition, also rights, laws, things that actually need to be known by people in the modern world. Respect also needs to be taught, though you can bet your life the racists and bigots will be shouting "indoctrination" at me.

Beyond what needs to be studied, it's how everything need to work. Kids need to have a positive school environment where learning is the key. How much time should kids spend at school? Well that's a difficult one. In the Far East kids spend too much time at school studying and don't have time for the real world, but maybe kids in America have too much time on their hands.
Teachers need to be trained in how to teach effectively and given the support, not just by the school but by society. Kids who are causing problems need to be dealt with, rather than just saying it's something we can't deal with.

ER..no. Anybody can work, if the jobs are there. To improve education, you improve the curriculum, you teach more. Not less. We tried running down the material already. It doesn't work to up the education level, obviously.

I think teachers should be able to punish the child that misbehaves with the paddle once again....

Since it is the 21st century I think more focus should be online classes for upper grades....Not everyone should have to be in a brick building in quite a few subjects.

The first thing schools need to do is ask themselves what skills do kids need for the future?

The first side is work skills. Things like having kids learning what is relevant to their future. History can be used to teach certain skills and needs to be looked at in these regards, rather than learning history for the sake of learning history. Some kids are going to be plumbers, why do they need to study Shakespeare? They don't. In Austria, Germany etc they have technical schools where kids are learning what is relevant to their future from the age of 13 to 18. When they leave school they're equipped to go get a job.

The second is social skills. Things like decision making here are essential. Yes, History can be used, but kids need stuff that is also more relevant to their lives. Discussing issues which will impact them, relationships, child rearing, food and nutrition, also rights, laws, things that actually need to be known by people in the modern world. Respect also needs to be taught, though you can bet your life the racists and bigots will be shouting "indoctrination" at me.

Beyond what needs to be studied, it's how everything need to work. Kids need to have a positive school environment where learning is the key. How much time should kids spend at school? Well that's a difficult one. In the Far East kids spend too much time at school studying and don't have time for the real world, but maybe kids in America have too much time on their hands.
Teachers need to be trained in how to teach effectively and given the support, not just by the school but by society. Kids who are causing problems need to be dealt with, rather than just saying it's something we can't deal with.
Sophistication is an important part of education. That is why children should study arts as well. Not just practical information.

I think teachers should be able to punish the child that misbehaves with the paddle once again....

Since it is the 21st century I think more focus should be online classes for upper grades....Not everyone should have to be in a brick building in quite a few subjects.
What about social interactions that will lower the risk of isolation from society especially on adolescents?

Sophistication is an important part of education. That is why children should study arts as well. Not just practical information.

Sure, creativity is a skill that should be harnessed. However not everyone needs to study the arts. The arts are relevant for certain jobs, but not for many jobs. I'm saying this as someone who has part of a degree that was for painting. However you say "sophistication" is an important part of education, why?

I think teachers should be trained better to deal with students in an effective way, instead of having to resort to physical violence.

Sure, creativity is a skill that should be harnessed. However not everyone needs to study the arts. The arts are relevant for certain jobs, but not for many jobs. I'm saying this as someone who has part of a degree that was for painting. However you say "sophistication" is an important part of education, why?
Because it trains a person's mind to fit to the society and that way to be well in it.

Arts train a person's creativity and give children an experience of being good at something. bs sometimes teaches hen they're terrible at something.. In arts classes children get to communicate with each other freely and do things they feel an inspiration for.

Hardly for anyone arts will be of practical use in life, but you may find though research that the best schools in the world where children study have arts as part of the programme.

I believe America has terrible education (obviously), but I also understand good education is something most Americans care a lot about.

What ideas do you have to improve education?
I think a failing educational system is a symptom of a failing economy. First fix the economic outlook for the masses and then you can start to realize a positive trend in many of our social ills, not just education.

What about social interactions that will lower the risk of isolation from society especially on adolescents?
no. Teach them to read for God's sake's, and give them real literature to read. Or teach them to read using the BIBLE, if you truly want to teach them how to interact socially. Language ARTS and Social studies Are the reason our kids are idiots. Not the cure for ignorance. They cause the ignorance. No nationalized programs. No more social experimentation. Parents who can read and have math skills want their kids taught, not raised. We will raise them ourselves.

no. Teach them to read for God's sake's, and give them real literature to read. Or teach them to read using the BIBLE, if you truly want to teach them how to interact socially. Language ARTS and Social studies Are the reason our kids are idiots. Not the cure for ignorance. They cause the ignorance. No nationalized programs. No more social experimentation. Parents who can read and have math skills want their kids taught, not raised. We will raise them ourselves.
Where is this school that fills your wishes and produces good students with good social skills and feel well in the society compared to those who study arts in school?

Let's take a page out of the progressive playbook and tax all parents whose kids don't get at least a B in all subjects

Because it trains a person's mind to fit to the society and that way to be well in it.

Arts train a person's creativity and give children an experience of being good at something. bs sometimes teaches hen they're terrible at something.. In arts classes children get to communicate with each other freely and do things they feel an inspiration for.

Hardly for anyone arts will be of practical use in life, but you may find though research that the best schools in the world where children study have arts as part of the programme.

I don't get your logic that art is an experience of being good at something. Whatever you do, someone will be good at it and someone bad at it.

My point was that kids should be studying areas they are either good at or interested in, and dropping those areas which they have no interest in. Making things relevant to their future lives is essential. Some kids will love art and do well, other kids will hate it.

Like when we did science experiments. I was so bored, I just wanted them to tell me what the point of it was and to get on with it. I didn't find enjoyment in learning how to fuck up an experiment, and didn't have the patience to make it work.

I was just thinking that the progressive playbook wouldn't call for taxing bad students

Instead it would call for the taxing of the parents of all the A students to raise extra money for the D students

I don't get your logic that art is an experience of being good at something. Whatever you do, someone will be good at it and someone bad at it.

My point was that kids should be studying areas they are either good at or interested in, and dropping those areas which they have no interest in. Making things relevant to their future lives is essential. Some kids will love art and do well, other kids will hate it.

Like when we did science experiments. I was so bored, I just wanted them to tell me what the point of it was and to get on with it. I didn't find enjoyment in learning how to fuck up an experiment, and didn't have the patience to make it work.

Forum List

Back