Egyptian (Muslim Brotherhood) Morsi to be overthrown?-Military Moves in to take over

Pro islam forces have already started clashing with the military. Perhaps thinking this wasn't going to end in civil war was too optimistic.
Correction... "Pro Militant Islamist forces have already..."

Not to worry... the Egyptian Army will fix them right-up...

I don't think they're in any mood to take any shit off the Muslim Brotherhood at the moment.

Last edited:
have they closed our Embassy there?
Dunno fer shure, but I read in an online news article yesterday, that we intended to close it today, when the Army ultimatum was due to expire. Probably a smart move on our part, as a temporary measure of a day or two or three -ish until the dust settles.

That is true however he had tried to run over the courts, has submerged any media outlets etc. that spoke ill of him or the MB, the constituent assembly that he promised back in December to give a voice in crafting an Constitution he submarined so deeply they withdrew etc....Its a mess...he also to be fair inherited a mess, but hes done nothing and made it worse.

All true. And maybe the Military isn the Grown-UP in the room, as I said.

But, generally, as a rule, military coups rarely have happy endings. Usually, when they have to hand back power, the people are even more resentful. See Turkey and Pakistan as examples.

well, federal law requires we kill Aid to the 'gov.". this is going to get dicey.

Maybe. But let's not forget, we've kept the spigot of aid going to Pakistan despite both a military coup AND the fact they were freaking hiding Bin Laden since 2005. So I'm not so sure about our ability to make those kinds of judgements.

Here's the thing. The Aid to Egypt is mostly contingent upon them upholding the Camp David Accord and playing nice with Israel. The Egyptian military is more likely to do that than Morsi was.

Dunno fer shure, but I read in an online news article yesterday, that we intended to close it today, when the Army ultimatum was due to expire. Probably a smart move on our part, as a temporary measure of a day or two or three -ish until the dust settles.
State Dept. orders diplomats to leave Egypt - CBS News
A U.S. official says the State Department is ordering nonessential U.S. diplomats and the families of all American Embassy personnel to leave Egypt after the Egyptian military removed Morsi and in anticipation of potential violence.

The official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the official wasn't authorized to discuss it publicly, said the State Department had placed the U.S. Embassy in Cairo on "ordered departure" status for nonemergency staff and dependents all employees. That means that those covered by the order are required to leave the country. It was not immediately clear if an evacuation operation would be mounted or if those departing would use commercial airlines or passenger ships to leave.

A couple of images, courtesy of the BBC...

_68536662_018541467.jpg

_68536863_018541580.jpg

Will they be that jubilant when they find out the new regime has no more of a clue as to how to solve the country's problems than Mubarek or Morsi did?

after seeing all the signs against our Ambassador there I hope so.

No. This just proved how much of a failure at foreign policy Obama was/is.

Nice try though. Superior choice my ass.

Superior in every way, actually. We'd still be in Iraq, probably pouring more troops into Afghanistan; who knows about Bin Laden--whether he'd still be with us or not.

We're watching this on TV...not wondering if our brothers or sisters are in the thick of it.

A+ For Mr. Obama.

Why do people keep giving Obama credit for getting us out of Iraq when he wanted to keep troops there and the only reason he didn't is that he had to honor an agreement signed by Bush?

Because he got us of out Iraq, not Bush. We should have been out of there the week after Hussein was captured.

after seeing all the signs against our Ambassador there I hope so.
egyptianliberalsleftists.jpg

Yes, I see what you mean...

*edited to add*
But those don't count as terrorist attacks on American soil

:eusa_shhh:

I'm beginning to really like the Egyptians!

They can see right through BO Hussein and his gang of cronies (like the rest of the world now;) )

Good on them! :D

I'm sure the Democrat party will blame this on the Republicans and the Sequester.

Here's the thing. The Aid to Egypt is mostly contingent upon them upholding the Camp David Accord and playing nice with Israel. The Egyptian military is more likely to do that than Morsi was.

Morsi was doing it just fine. The next Islamist to come to power though, probably will too, but who knows.

I'm beginning to really like the Egyptians!

They can see right through BO Hussein and his gang of cronies (like the rest of the world now;) )

Good on them! :D

This seems pretty self absorbed.

Forum List

Back