Eliminate Minimum Wage

MW is largely irrelevant....In most places, the prevailing wage is higher, if for no better reason than to get people in the door who won't steal from you. ...

Oddball, the minimum rate significantly affects no less than 20% of full time wage earners.

The minimum rate extremely significantly affects the least earning fifth of USA’s full time wage earners.

The minimum rate affects ALL wage and salary rates but it doesn’t affect them all equally. Its proportional effect is inversely to the differences between tasks’ pay scales and the minimum rate. Lesser paying jobs benefit proportionally more and higher paying jobs benefit proportionally less due to the minimum rate; but they do ALL benefit to some extent.
Proportionally, (due to the minim wage rate) the greatest reductions of wage scales exceeding the median wage are hardly perceivable. The reductions become more apparent as we scan down from the median wage.

The minimum rate very much affects wage rates approaching the minimum rate. You incorrectly underesitmate the minimum's affect upon the median and all lesser incomes. The minimum rate extremely affects, (I believe no less than) the least earning fifth of USA’s full time wage earners.

The families of the working poor, (those that can least afford the reductions) experience the greatest proportional reduction of their wages’ purchasing powers.

Respectfully, Supposn

OR, more to the point - answer the question that everyone dances around avoiding in these conversations. If it's really just a matter of decreeing that low wage earners will make more money, why not set it at something decent - $30/hr, let's say. Then everyone will be middle class, right?

Simple, It's called making it right. Plus, consumer spending will skyrocket, which is what, 70% of the GDP?

Not sure what you're saying. Are you saying we should raise it to $30/hr? Do you think that would make everyone middle class?

MW is largely irrelevant....In most places, the prevailing wage is higher, if for no better reason than to get people in the door who won't steal from you. ...

Oddball, the minimum rate significantly affects no less than 20% of full time wage earners.
Yeah....Union members who use the rising MW as a leverage point to get their pay scales raised.

The minimum rate extremely significantly affects the least earning fifth of USA’s full time wage earners.

The minimum rate affects ALL wage and salary rates but it doesn’t affect them all equally. Its proportional effect is inversely to the differences between tasks’ pay scales and the minimum rate. Lesser paying jobs benefit proportionally more and higher paying jobs benefit proportionally less due to the minimum rate; but they do ALL benefit to some extent.
Proportionally, (due to the minim wage rate) the greatest reductions of wage scales exceeding the median wage are hardly perceivable. The reductions become more apparent as we scan down from the median wage.

The minimum rate very much affects wage rates approaching the minimum rate. You incorrectly underesitmate the minimum's affect upon the median and all lesser incomes. The minimum rate extremely affects, (I believe no less than) the least earning fifth of USA’s full time wage earners.

The families of the working poor, (those that can least afford the reductions) experience the greatest proportional reduction of their wages’ purchasing powers.

Respectfully, Supposn
I call bullshit.

I doubt that minimum wages effect the employment picture one way or the other.

I know damned well that if a thriving business needs a warm body, they will hire regardless of whether that body gets paid $7.50 an hour or $10.00 an hour.

That said, I also do not think that minimum wages are actually helping all that many workers, either.

I suspect that the starting wages would remain roughly the same if the MW law was repealed, too.

Its the FEEBLE LABOR MARKET that continues to repress wages, and I do not think minimum wages serve as a "floor" for all other wages above that rate.

Repeal the MW laws and I doubt we'd see a huge influx of new hires OR a decline in aggregate average salaries either.

I mean that would not be the case if MW was much higher, but it is so low that I doubt it effects the labor market all that much.

you do know that some union contracts are tied to the minimum wage right? what ever the federal % goes up to they get the same automatic % raise.

Only 2 or 3 % of hourly wage earners make minimum wage.

Who Earns Minimum Wage? A Statistical Profile

Minimum wage is pretty much a non issue

If that is true, Then what is the problem? Why the desire to get rid of it? If it's gotten rid of, you KNOW there will be people who will make less than the minimum wage, and that would be a travesty.

It's a non-issue because it's so low that it has little effect, bad or good.

Then why do you want to eliminate it, leading to the inevitability that some people will be paid EVEN LESS.

LESS than a wage that already is LESS than is required to sustain a single human being.

I know damned well that if a thriving business needs a warm body, they will hire regardless of whether that body gets paid $7.50 an hour or $10.00 an hour.

That said, I also do not think that minimum wages are actually helping all that many workers, either.

I suspect that the starting wages would remain roughly the same if the MW law was repealed, too.

Its the FEEBLE LABOR MARKET that continues to repress wages, and I do not think minimum wages serve as a "floor" for all other wages above that rate.

Repeal the MW laws and I doubt we'd see a huge influx of new hires OR a decline in aggregate average salaries either.

I mean that would not be the case if MW was much higher, but it is so low that I doubt it effects the labor market all that much.

you do know that some union contracts are tied to the minimum wage right? what ever the federal % goes up to they get the same automatic % raise.

And the last thing we need in this country is working people making a decent buck.

If that is true, Then what is the problem? Why the desire to get rid of it? If it's gotten rid of, you KNOW there will be people who will make less than the minimum wage, and that would be a travesty.

It's a non-issue because it's so low that it has little effect, bad or good.

Then why do you want to eliminate it, leading to the inevitability that some people will be paid EVEN LESS.

LESS than a wage that already is LESS than is required to sustain a single human being.

Because it's intrusive, demeaning and violates the fundamental right to work and spend our money as we see fit. Our leaders have shown at least some wisdom in keeping it so low that its impact is negligible (even when they pretend they want to raise it).

As I said, I actually like having it around as a topic of discussion. Sort of a little litmus test to expose those who refuse to let reason get in the way of their fantasies.

Last edited:

And the last thing we need in this country is working people making a decent buck.

lol I knew you were a union guy. So you would rather have just a few making a decent buck and the rest with NO job? just like up in that shit hole of detroit?

We need to get rid of the minimum wage, if these kids want to work for $5 bucks an hour, let them. It gives them a chance to pad their resume and move up.

For the past four and a half years, teen unemployment has exceeded 20%. As of April 2013, 24.1% of teens seeking jobs were unable to find work, according to a report released this week.
According to Employment Policies Institute (EPI) Research Director Michael Saltsman, the lack of teens with jobs does not just mean they are going to have less summer spending money. The trend also means that this generation is more likely to lack crucial job experience and connections that could help them in future employment.

States Where Teenagers Cannot Find Work

MW is largely irrelevant....In most places, the prevailing wage is higher, if for no better reason than to get people in the door who won't steal from you.
All it really amounts to is a sop to unions, so their "leadership" (such as it is) can point to the MW as a way to argue that their wages need to be higher.

When in fact, American workers wages need to be a lot lower so they can effectively compete with their Chinese counterparts.[/QUOTE]

Minimum wage & foreign trade

Mr. Clean, when Maytag moved their refrigerator manufacturing from Illinois to Mexico, they reduced their labor costs from $15/Hr. to $2/Hr. A 750% difference of labor costs is not a factor that Maytag could ignore but sacrificing USA’s median wage exacerbates rather than remedies our problems.

If Maytag had been granted immunity from all unreasonable and/or reasonable government regulations, taxes and fees, (i.e. immunity from the minimum wage rate), Maytag would still have eventually been driven to leaving the USA. Mexico does not produce superior refrigerators and they do not produce them faster,

I would suppose that in cases where the condition of the production was good and had not become obsolete, Maytag relocated their machinery to Mexico and thus reduced the costs of relocating to Mexico.

USA’s official policy has always been to be of assistance and seeks to grant every conceivable tax benefit that further enables and encourages the relocation of USA production facilities and the outsourcing of jobs from our nation.

Capital is portable and unlike labor which is bond by national borders. USA‘s policies supports practices that are to the best immediate interests of commercial entities and are detrimental to our own GDP and median wage.

Eliminating the federal minimum wage laws would increase poverty of individuals and families; it would be an economically net detrimental to our nation. Those policies continue to decrease the economic gaps between the USA and poorer nations. It’s the race to the bottom.

Refer to the threads:
http://www.usmessageboard.com/econo...significantly-reduce-usa-s-trade-deficit.html

and to:
http://www.usmessageboard.com/econo...always-detrimental-to-their-nations-gdps.html

Respectfully, Supposn

We've had minimum wage laws for 70+ years now.

And yet somehow we've managed to survive.

Eliminating the federal minimum wage laws would increase poverty of individuals and families; it would be an economically net detrimental to our nation.

Lmao. no it wouldnt, If you think if we eliminated the minimum wage, all companys would pay their employees $2 bucks an hour? your a fool....And we already give low wage workers food stamps and aid. so whats the differance if we get rid of mw completely? and like I posted before, Union membership would rise if all companys started low balling employee wages.

We've had minimum wage laws for 70+ years now.

And yet somehow we've managed to survive.

I guess you refuse to look at the numbers at kids that cant find work, Your just being selfish. you do know the kids are the future right? I would rather seeing them working then spreading their legs to get on the government dole or selling drugs and stealing.

Last edited:
We need to get rid of the minimum wage, if these kids want to work for $5 bucks an hour, let them. It gives them a chance to pad their resume and move up.

For the past four and a half years, teen unemployment has exceeded 20%. As of April 2013, 24.1% of teens seeking jobs were unable to find work, according to a report released this week.
According to Employment Policies Institute (EPI) Research Director Michael Saltsman, the lack of teens with jobs does not just mean they are going to have less summer spending money. The trend also means that this generation is more likely to lack crucial job experience and connections that could help them in future employment.

Minimum wage and teenage job applicants.

Bear 513, the failures of USA’s educational systems are a separate issue. Any significant improvement of our schools would be reflected by no less significant benefits for our social and economic conditions.
The issues regarding employment of the less mentally or physically able are national issues. Eliminating the federal minimum wage laws would mitigate but not eliminate these problems. If it would possibly provide employment for our entire nation’s less able, it would not justify the severe reduction of our median wage’s purchasing powers.

I’m not irrevocably opposed to lesser minimum wage rates for training jobs but I wouldn’t want it to become an opportunity for employers to have a payroll of serfs rather than employees.

Unchecked all dead end jobs could be converted to training jobs that qualify for a lesser than FMW rate of compensation. I’m firmly opposed to that.
Those who would pretend to create jobs for teen agers by eliminating the minimum wage would reduce the lifetime incomes of the very people they claim to be helping.
More or less but certainly the federal minimum wage is of benefit to all employees. It is extremely significant beneficial to no less than the lowest earning fifth of our nation’s full time employees.

Respectfully, Supposn

Minimum wage and teenage job applicants.

Bear 513, the failures of USA’s educational systems are a separate issue. Any significant improvement of our schools would be reflected by no less significant benefits for our social and economic conditions.
The issues regarding employment of the less mentally or physically able are national issues. Eliminating the federal minimum wage laws would mitigate but not eliminate these problems. If it would possibly provide employment for our entire nation’s less able, it would not justify the severe reduction of our median wage’s purchasing powers.

I’m not irrevocably opposed to lesser minimum wage rates for training jobs but I wouldn’t want it to become an opportunity for employers to have a payroll of serfs rather than employees.

Unchecked all dead end jobs could be converted to training jobs that qualify for a lesser than FMW rate of compensation. I’m firmly opposed to that.
Those who would pretend to create jobs for teen agers by eliminating the minimum wage would reduce the lifetime incomes of the very people they claim to be helping.
More or less but certainly the federal minimum wage is of benefit to all employees. It is extremely significant beneficial to no less than the lowest earning fifth of our nation’s full time employees.

Respectfully, Supposn

Sir no its not, I have a budget at work, I take chances on hiring people at $12 bucks an hour. if they are going to show up for work or what ever. but their is so much work that I would love to take a chance on a couple of 18 year olds at $5 bucks an hour and let them learn and prove themselfs and if one of them cares I would boost them up to $12 bucks an hour.. and they keep learning from me after a few years they can go work for someone else in the plastic field at $16 to $23 bucks an hour. kids are like finding diamonds in the ruff.... Older folks that have experience have to much baggage... I found out.

No, bear, I did not know that.

Would you be good enough to list the unions whose pay rates are based on minimum wages?

Thanks in advance for educating us about this.

And btw I was a faliure at the Chicago educational system. I learned everything after. not rich, but someone gave me a chance, after high school and I worked my ass off (padded my resume got the connections, got job refferances) and today I can go anywhere to get a little $20 ~$30 dollar job. because some guy gave me a chance in 1983.....at $4 bucks an hour.

No, bear, I did not know that.

Would you be good enough to list the unions whose pay rates are based on minimum wages?

Thanks in advance for educating us about this.

those stats are hard to find out about. last I read 285 thousand workers contracts are tied to it.
Richard Berman: Why Unions Want a Higher Minimum Wage - WSJ.com

It seems to me that if almost 97% of hourly wage earners make more than minimum wage that we really don't need to be worried about it.

Forum List

Back