Elizabeth Warren: 'End Electoral College'

We’ve outgrown the EC.

Look at what we have now . A handful of swing states get all the attention while 80% of the country is basically ignored .
Lol
With pure popular vote Rural America would be completely ignored

Why should some hillbilly have more of a vote?

Why should some hillbilly have two Senators when he lives in a state with a fifth of California's population and they only get two Senators as well?

The Senate no longer represents the states after the 17th amendment was passed. They represent special interest groups and themselves. The 17th amendment removed the states check on the federal government they created in the first place.

Well there seems to be the drumbeat of that again...

Getting rid of electoral college means rural America might as well not even vote, They would lose every single election.

States like California or Florida Texas and New York would dominate everything in this country…

There is a reason why they call this a republic not a shit eating democracy...

Uh-huh....You'd be singing a different tune if Hillary had won.
Stop being a hypocrite, it's bad enough with psycho-boy in office:

Donald J. Trump
✔@realDonaldTrump

The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy.

11:45 PM - Nov 6, 2012

Donald J. Trump on Twitter
LOL! Love making you Trumpanzees look like the idiots you are.
Point to the post where Rustic EVER agreed with that post by Trump. I dare you.

Then LIE to us and tell us you don't agree with that post by Trump.

The only person looking stupid here is YOU

Why not to agree with his quote? We are constitutional republic, not a democracy. Electoral college is preserving the republic, and IS disaster for democracy. In my book, that's a good thing.

The rest of us are still where we have always been, and we’re still carrying your debt-burdened, fear-driven, hate mongering selves along in spite of your best efforts to immolate the entire Republic.

I don't need to go through that lie filled screed. I'll just point this out

Those debt ridden blue states...are net PROVIDERS to the Federal coffers...while red states are net TAKERS

Sen. Elizabeth Warren said Monday that she fully supports abolishing the Electoral College and moving toward a national vote, the first time the 2020 presidential candidate has publicly taken the stance.

“My view is that every vote matters,” the Massachusetts Democrat said to roaring applause at her CNN presidential town hall at Jackson State University in Mississippi. “And the way we can make that happen is that we can have national voting, and that means get rid of the Electoral College.”

More: Elizabeth Warren Calls For Getting Rid Of The Electoral College

Amen! I couldn't agree more! Elections should be about people - not acreage! BTW, the rest of the link is worth reading.
The most unconstitutional thing I have ever heard of. States rights was always at the center of the Constitution and the convention that created it. California, New York, and Illinois have no right to run the executive branch.

What left think is that a few cities should rule over the rest of us. That we exist to serve Chicago, New York and Los Angeles, all bastions of statism? That they, because that’s where liberal chose to congregate should be our masters, while we grow their food, build their cars, and make their clothes, while they use tech to oversee us from the far, is that about it? Our founding fathers set us not as a democracy but as a representative republic and set up the electoral college precisely to prevent a few cities from becoming rulers of the nation.

We’ve outgrown the EC.

Look at what we have now . A handful of swing states get all the attention while 80% of the country is basically ignored .
Lol

Why should some hillbilly have two Senators when he lives in a state with a fifth of California's population and they only get two Senators as well?

The Senate no longer represents the states after the 17th amendment was passed. They represent special interest groups and themselves. The 17th amendment removed the states check on the federal government they created in the first place.
what? The 17th allowed voters (not state legislators) to chose the Senators that represent them.

You post makes no sense

What left think is that a few cities should rule over the rest of us

Nonsense. Red states have plenty of cities with plenty of votes.

You have heard of Dallas and Houston and Atlanta right?

Are you saying COWS should choose our President?

Sen. Elizabeth Warren said Monday that she fully supports abolishing the Electoral College and moving toward a national vote, the first time the 2020 presidential candidate has publicly taken the stance.

“My view is that every vote matters,” the Massachusetts Democrat said to roaring applause at her CNN presidential town hall at Jackson State University in Mississippi. “And the way we can make that happen is that we can have national voting, and that means get rid of the Electoral College.”

More: Elizabeth Warren Calls For Getting Rid Of The Electoral College

Amen! I couldn't agree more! Elections should be about people - not acreage! BTW, the rest of the link is worth reading.

Just burn the Constitution while you’re at it.

That's the goal, since constitution is the only thing that still prevents them to rule over us.

We’ve outgrown the EC.

Lol

what? The 17th allowed voters (not state legislators) to chose the Senators that represent them.

You post makes no sense
The voters depending in most states have less say as their state reps and state senators give them more power due to being elected in their areas of living and could be voted out of office. A check and balance like the EC. So we end up with a more corrupted branch of the federal government. Having the same Senators for forty years and more is disgusting.

A pure popular vote = mob rule
Stupid fucking Rabbit!

For the last month, I've struggled over the question of the Electoral Collage and its relevance today. I had to argue with myself about my long unwavering support of sustaining the EC based on 'Originality' grounds before my epiphany that the EC was part of the balancing compromise over representation for the lower populated white man dominated slave states.

The slave states are no longer holding slaves, and the 14th Amendment granted all former slaves citizenship...the first anchor babies for you knuckle dragging types...therefore that representation balancing of Article 1 is no longer needed and the EC has actually become moot for its intended purpose.

For the last 60 years I've held that the EC was original intent. But with the advent of 13th, 14th & 15th Amendments the demise of the Electoral Collage is long overdue. And with that, all the Gerrymandering shenanigan's pulled by the two major factions can be brought to a close!
With a pure popular vote rural America might as will not even vote... Because they would lose every single presidential election
With a pure popular vote rural America might as will not even vote... Because they would lose every single presidential election
Stupid fucking Rabbit!

Do you ever think before you start to type???? That was the same argument before the Virginia Compromise was struck in 1787, and why the "equalizing" 3/5ths rule was added to Article 1 but removed with the addition civil right amendments when the former slaves were freed and became US citizens ya fucking knob! We now have radio, TV, cell phones and the internet to say nothing about political parties! The Electoral College no longer has any real purpose to serve now!

Educate your dumb ass, fool!

Do YOU ever think before you start to type?

EC is as relevant today as it was back then. At the time of the Constitution was drafted, all states were slave states. A few had passed gradual emancipation but all had slaves. NY & NJ were still fully slave states. PA & CT didn’t free the last slaves until the late 1840s, NJ & NH not until 1865. The difference wasn’t slavery but the big cities and an emerging urban industrial economy in the north while the south was predominantly agrarian. In that light, the fear of regionalism was a real issue apart from slavery. It was issue back then, and it's issue today. EC protects us from that.

The rest of us are still where we have always been, and we’re still carrying your debt-burdened, fear-driven, hate mongering selves along in spite of your best efforts to immolate the entire Republic.

I don't need to go through that lie filled screed. I'll just point this out

Those debt ridden blue states...are net PROVIDERS to the Federal coffers...while red states are net TAKERS

That is mathematically true but it is the Independents and the Republicans who make it so in those states. They just don’t have a voice. Cali was a major red state until 1992. Now with a heavy dose of immigration it is certainly Blue. But you cannot have it both ways, Lesh. The Republicans are evil and rich so we must tax them is your mantra but then you must also admit that they are the reason this economy thrives. It is not the poor Democrats who always want free stuff.

I agree. I always thought america was a democracy...but when Bush Jr got elected we the citizens of the world were shocked. And that's when we found about the electoral college. It really gives the power to the crazy minority and that's why we have trump and his crazies....the US should join the democratic countries and abolish the EC.

That is your mistake because UNITED States of America has never been a Democracy and the President has been elected with the Electoral College all this time.

Funny how no one complained when Clinton and Obama won it twice but when Gore and Hillary lost all of a sudden it is a bad system.

No matter what my opinion of Trump the fact is the Electoral College is a great system that allow the smaller states in our REPUBLIC to have a voice...
They point being dumbass...that Clinton and Obama won BOTH the popular vote and the electoral vote.

Bush the Lesser and Trump both LOST the popular vote...negating the will of the people.

"No matter what my opinion of Trump the fact is the Electoral College is a great system that allow the smaller states in our REPUBLIC to have a voice"

The fact is the EC is a FLAWED system that allowed smaller states an OUTSIZED voice in our NATION'S Presidential election and Supreme Court as a result

No, that's not true.

If you add NY and Cali together, they had (in the 2016 election) 84 electoral votes.

https://state.1keydata.com/state-electoral-votes.php

The lowest 9 populated states collectively had 28 electoral votes.

So how do you feel these lower populated states are overpowering the most populated states? Do you know how many lower populated states it would take to equal just NY and Cali yet alone overpower them? I don't have time right now to do all the math, but here is a list of states according to population, and combine that with the electoral votes those states get with the link above. If you have the time to add all this up, let me know how many of the lower populated states it takes to equal the two most populated. Edit: I count 19. To exceed their combined EC votes by just one, I count 20 states.

List of states and territories of the United States by population - Wikipedia
I'd say states have a s
I agree. I always thought america was a democracy...but when Bush Jr got elected we the citizens of the world were shocked. And that's when we found about the electoral college. It really gives the power to the crazy minority and that's why we have trump and his crazies....the US should join the democratic countries and abolish the EC.

Interesting concept...you want the US...with one of the longest standing democracies in world history to change the system that's given us that stability to mirror the rest of the world that sees coups and civil unrest as a matter of course? I'm guessing you don't have the faintest idea WHY the Electoral College was instituted in the first place...do you, Issa?
The US is not a democracy.
The US is a democracy...we choose to operate that democracy as a constitutional republic...which is a blend of power derived from democratic processes...power held by elected officials...and power held by a court system.

My point remains...do you really think the US should scrap a system that has worked for hundreds of years simply because the candidate you wanted didn't get elected in a Presidential race?
Worked likes shit, with the likes of Bush and trump two crazies voted in by the dumbest minority.

It was "dumb" to prefer Trump over Hillary Clinton? I hate to point out the obvious here, Issa but the left ran an odious candidate who managed to be corrupt, incompetent and seemed to feel entitled to the Oval Office simply because she was a woman. Trump wasn't elected because voters were dumb...he was elected because he was a better candidate than the other person on the ballot!

Issa never voted, then he bitches, the dumb one is Issa. He has no valid complaint,

The Electoral College is rooted in slavery. Abolish it.

The Electoral College polarized Americans from its inception. Created by the framers of the Constitution during the 1787 Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia, the College was put forth as a way to give citizens the opportunity to vote in presidential elections, with the added safeguard of a group of knowledgeable electors with final say on who would ultimately lead the country, another limit on the burgeoning nation’s democratic ideals.

The story of the Electoral College is also one of slavery—an institution central to the founding of American democracy. The bulk of the new nation’s citizenry resided in cities like Philadelphia and Boston in the North, leaving the South sparsely populated by farmers, plantation owners, other landholders, and, of course, enslaved laborers. This disparity in the population distribution became a core element of the legislative branch, and in turn, the Electoral College.

More: The Electoral College Has Been Divisive Since Day One | History | Smithsonian

What a load of crap. Everything left is trying to get, or to get rid of, they apply race card to it.

A few years ago the fringe left was bellowing how the 2nd Amendment was created to defend slave states. It was easily debunked, as is this latest foolishness. Yet that remains your go to answer: play the race card on everything.

Since the left is clearly too self absorbed to figure this out, nobody cares. Nobody buys the BS you keep trying to sell. Perhaps the left is collectively ignorant. Perhaps outright stupid. Either way, your historical revisionism is useless. Get some new material.

Why should a vote in Montana be worth more than a vote in Pennsylvania?

The nations elections should not be decided by America's urban centres, run by party hacks.
In other words, our elections should not be decided by voters. Just say it man! "Party hacks", whatever the hell that`s supposed to be should have just as much say in who wins an election as the toothless redneck who cooks meth in his trailer in West Virginia.

Or the opioid user that sits in their high rise in New York?

The number you used was 1992, true or false?

Moron!

You are so stupid you don't even realize you are stupid!

What's scary is that you claim to have a masters degree and educate our children.

No. What is really scary is that you are spreading stupid like it was fertilizer. Why can't you man up and admit you fucked up and salvage a little self respect?

Jesus, dumbass. You're so blind drunk with stupidity, you couldn't handle a simple arithmetic problem even after I spelled it out in plain English twice! So damned stupid you can't even read english that my math was ONE HUNDRED FUCKING PERCENT RIGHT that you're still after me to admit I was wrong apparently claiming that 27 + 4 DOESN'T equal 31! Go! Moron, Go! Master fucking degree MY ASS. Master ass picker you are.

Wow! I am impressed! You are working so hard to prove to the rest of the board that you flunked elementary math!

Then to make matters worse, you try to defend the indefensible!

Got any more words of profanity or personal attacks to throw at me, while the rest of board laughs at your sorry excuses?

Sure, jackass! If you are so smart, PROVE IT. Talk is cheap, fuckhead. POST the fucking post where I made the math error including the post number so we can all go back and verify it. SHOW us where I'm wrong. LAY OUT YOUR EVIDENCE. I've already reprinted my statement in question in bold text and STILL you crawl like a dog with lots of talk and smarmy accusations but with no backing. Why is it you're the only one who apparently caught my great math error? So if you're right, if 27+4 doesn't equal 31, prove it. SHOW US the GREAT ERROR I made in math that is so damned important to you as a MASTERS IN EDUCATION that you've made it a big fucking issue for more than ten posts now! I'm waiting, shithead. Bet you any money that you never follow through, because we all know you're a fucking liar. Then I'll test YOUR math. BTW, moron, I used to tutor people in trig and calculus. Hope you're up to it.

I already posted it once. If you can't find it, you are either drunk, high, or just incredibly stupid. I'm going with the latter.

So there's that. Republicans want to counter "the tyranny of the majority" with the "tyranny of the MINORITY"
1: No Clinton (or Gore) ever won a majority of the popular vote
2: The majority may be, as designed, subject to the will of the minority in several instances. Election of the President is one.

The Electoral College worked as intended, every time. You hate it because Hillary lost.
Your opinion doesn't matter.

Eliminate the Electoral College and disenfranchise 5/8th of the nation's voters.

Sounds like the Democrats have finally come up with a way to win back the White House.
Why should a vote in Montana be worth more than a vote in Pennsylvania?
If we went to a popular vote, the needs of Montana would be completely ignored by populist demagogues who would only campaign in urban centers.

That's why.

You're welcome.

Correct.

He's deluded… Electoral college was created to give smaller states at least some amount of influence in order not be overrun and abused by the tyranny of the majority. The issue today that makes the president being elected seem unfair to perhaps the majority vote, is that the fed has grown so much in size and usurped states rights that the presidential election means far more. Solution to that would be way smaller fed and return to states rights.

And California need to address the unconstitutional abuse of the assholes in Sacramento.

Amazing you could post this with a straight face after the previous post shot it down in flames six minutes before yours went up.

I'm replying to posts as I read them, and my yesterdays reply is to post from Tuesday, so please forgive me I couldn't foresee the future before I pressed the "reply" button.

Again...a popular vote majority is irrelevant

Both Gore and Clinton won the popular vote...and both Bush and Trump ONLY won the EC

That's the goal, since constitution is the only thing that still prevents them to rule over us.
Currently YOU (the minority) is ruling over US (the majority)
The majority did not vote for Hillary.
The majority may be, as designed, subject to the will of the minority in several instances. Election of the President is one.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back