Environment is Cleaner Than it's Been in More Than 100 Years

Cleaner than its been in the last 100 years?

No wonder conservatives want to abolish the EPA

If a corporation doesn't like the regulations, then move to China and contribute to the swill toxic water and air over there. Plus you don't have to pay the workers much of anything. Its a win win. I surely won't sit here and yearn for them to stay if they aren't willing to sacrifice a tiny tiny portion of profit to do things the right way. It is easily possible to have a clean environment and profitable businesses.

You really are incredibly stupid, aren't you?

Do you like paying higher prices for everything? Do you want a lower standard of living? This isn't about whether corporations are happy to comply with government regulations. It's about whether consumers want to pay the cost. The cost is already high enough, thank you.

If American corporations all moved their operations to China, then you would be out of a job, so I hardly think you're credibly when you claim you don't care. And this isn't about imposing some "tiny cost." Obama's new coal regulations are likely to double or triple the cost of electric power.

One thing is clear, environmental fascist wackos like you don't give a damn about the cost. That's the same as saying you don't give a damn about people.

All I know is I just bought a new Tahoe and due to these ridiculous CAFE standards, it has AFM which causes it to switch back and forth between 4 & 8 cylinders. The most annoying shit ever. I had to spend $200 on a device to disable that.

That's the stupid shit I want done away with.

Cleaner than its been in the last 100 years?

No wonder conservatives want to abolish the EPA

Yes, because we crave polluted air and water!!!!

Yeah, and we hate polar bears and baby seals.

I'd eat a baby if I could....

You want to join our baby eating club? We serve baby seal for lunch and puppy dogs for breakfast.

obama eats dog meat, what does that make him, a conservative?

"
You really are incredibly stupid, aren't you?
Do you like paying higher prices for everything? Do you want a lower standard of living? This isn't about whether corporations are happy to comply with government regulations. It's about whether consumers want to pay the cost. The cost is already high enough, thank you.
If American corporations all moved their operations to China, then you would be out of a job, so I hardly think you're credibly when you claim you don't care. And this isn't about imposing some "tiny cost." Obama's new coal regulations are likely to double or triple the cost of electric power.
One thing is clear, environmental fascist wackos like you don't give a damn about the cost. That's the same as saying you don't give a damn about people."

I won't be out of a job...I'm retired..no more pathetic rat race for me. Now my youngest son run s my business. I spend most of my time in the outdoors hunting or fishing. I am not talking about coal. I am talking about clean wat3er and clean air. Keep it clean. If you pollute it as a business then you need to be shut down..pretty simple. As for your labeling of environmentalist wacko... hunt, fish, cut wood and heat my home with it..no natural gas, no filthy oil. Outdoor furnace. You should try it. As a human its my right to have clean air and water. There can be both good profits and clean air and water and if a business can't comply then good bye we DONT WANT YOU HERE. Move to China, its already done environmentally. Past the point of no return. A cesspool. That's what happens with no regulations.Not every last thing needs to be about the almighty buck There can be common sense. As the right wingers say if you don't have enough to pay for your power then work more. Find another job. Even 2 more jobs. As far as caring for consumers, when did the GOP ever care about them? That's a new one. If you aren't big business they aren't interested.

I know this will drive the environmental wackos. "How dare anyone claim the environment is clean!"

Michigan s Environment is Cleaner than it s Been in More than 100 Years Michigan Capitol Confidential

Michigan's Environment is Cleaner Than it's Been in More Than 100 Years

Disease, contamination and pollutants are mostly in the past while

Many people view the relationship between humans and nature as a zero-sum game: Our progress comes at the direct expense of the environment. Actually, that’s not the case.

Recently, we’ve been able to dramatically improve our standard of living while simultaneously leaving behind a cleaner environment. In fact, Michigan’s environment is arguably cleaner than it has been in more than 100 years.

Consider how clean our drinking water has become. In the early 20th century, waterborne infectious diseases such as cholera, dysentery and typhoid were leading causes of death, and typhoid epidemics annually sickened thousands in American cities. With technological leaps in filtration – now to the level of filtering microbes and chemical compounds, disinfection and water analysis – these waterborne illnesses have been practically eradicated in Michigan and the United States.

The water in our rivers, lakes and streams is also less contaminated than it used to be. Treated wastewater and storm water contain significantly lower levels of contaminants, as technology and control systems have advanced. Some wastewater treatment plants in Michigan discharge water of higher quality than their receiving streams. For example, the PARCC Side Clean Water Plant in Plainfield, Michigan discharges four million gallons of water per day into the Grand River that is of better quality than the river’s water. Other Michigan treatment plants can also produce effluents better than river water much of the time.

Wildlife habitats are improving, too. In a 2010 Detroit News article, Jim Lynch chronicled the repopulation of wildlife around Detroit, writing, “After decades of struggling to overcome the Detroit River’s polluted past, a variety of fish and bird species have re-established themselves ... [t]he budding osprey population is joined by increasing numbers of walleye, lake sturgeon and whitefish as well as bird species like the bald eagle and peregrine falcon.”

Ours is. China's isn't.

Watching people strive to be like China where they work for 50cents (USD) and hour in order to stay competitive globally and watching them have "Smog days" out of school should teach the weak minded, but.....

So those all the only two alternatives: regulate ourselves into bankruptcy or turn into China?

Do you turds understand why no one pays attention to your idiocies any longer?
Only you are saying regulate into bankruptcy.

Everyone else appears to understand the subject, while you have not a clue.

A robust economy and a clean, healthy environment are both possible.

OF course the environmental wacko fascists are never going to admit they intend to regulate this country into bankruptcy, but when we look at the regulations Obama has implemented, that's the only conclusion we can reasonably make.

We already have a clean environment. Any further regulations can only have the intent of destroying the economy.

Environmentalists don't admit to your straw man because, well, it's a straw man.

So why would you want to abolish the EPA and get rid of environmental laws?

So Mr. Businessman can save a few bucks and dump all his shit right into the river.
Nope. There are laws that prevent that. It is not rocket science to understand that laws such as that will result in a cleaner environment.

What we question now is WHY all of the NEW initiatives. What we have on the books is working. Additional ones are nothing more than base appeasing actions.
Wonder how many besides you have fallen for the OP's misdirection. The supportive link for this whole conversation is a report about one state. The OP took a report about Michigan improving it's air and water quality and presented it as some kind of determining national study. Lots of suckers have fallen for the ploy.

If Michigan's environment is cleaner, then so is the rest of the country. The same laws are in force in all 50 states.

The environment is cleaner in all 50 states. Thanks largely to environmental regulations that forced corporations to clean up their act. No one is denying this. Does that mean that there are no more dirty sites? Hell no. There are still plenty of sites that need attention. And more being created every day. Because some people just don't get it and continue to pollute despite the regulations. And when enforcement budgets get cut (something that Republicans have done several times in the past), they get away with it, and the taxpayer ends up paying the cost. There are also sites that have never been addressed, and sites we don't even know about yet. Those are being found nearly every day. Boo boo, just because the environment is cleaner than it used to be in the "good ole days" doesn't mean that we can become complacent. Because the moment we do become complacent about the environment, some asshole will build yet another cesspool right next to your house.

I know this will drive the environmental wackos. "How dare anyone claim the environment is clean!"

Michigan s Environment is Cleaner than it s Been in More than 100 Years Michigan Capitol Confidential

Michigan's Environment is Cleaner Than it's Been in More Than 100 Years

Disease, contamination and pollutants are mostly in the past while

Many people view the relationship between humans and nature as a zero-sum game: Our progress comes at the direct expense of the environment. Actually, that’s not the case.

Recently, we’ve been able to dramatically improve our standard of living while simultaneously leaving behind a cleaner environment. In fact, Michigan’s environment is arguably cleaner than it has been in more than 100 years.

Consider how clean our drinking water has become. In the early 20th century, waterborne infectious diseases such as cholera, dysentery and typhoid were leading causes of death, and typhoid epidemics annually sickened thousands in American cities. With technological leaps in filtration – now to the level of filtering microbes and chemical compounds, disinfection and water analysis – these waterborne illnesses have been practically eradicated in Michigan and the United States.

The water in our rivers, lakes and streams is also less contaminated than it used to be. Treated wastewater and storm water contain significantly lower levels of contaminants, as technology and control systems have advanced. Some wastewater treatment plants in Michigan discharge water of higher quality than their receiving streams. For example, the PARCC Side Clean Water Plant in Plainfield, Michigan discharges four million gallons of water per day into the Grand River that is of better quality than the river’s water. Other Michigan treatment plants can also produce effluents better than river water much of the time.

Wildlife habitats are improving, too. In a 2010 Detroit News article, Jim Lynch chronicled the repopulation of wildlife around Detroit, writing, “After decades of struggling to overcome the Detroit River’s polluted past, a variety of fish and bird species have re-established themselves ... [t]he budding osprey population is joined by increasing numbers of walleye, lake sturgeon and whitefish as well as bird species like the bald eagle and peregrine falcon.”

Ours is. China's isn't.

Watching people strive to be like China where they work for 50cents (USD) and hour in order to stay competitive globally and watching them have "Smog days" out of school should teach the weak minded, but.....

So those all the only two alternatives: regulate ourselves into bankruptcy or turn into China?

Do you turds understand why no one pays attention to your idiocies any longer?

Straw man argument. Try again.

Wrong, it's not a stawman argument. You obviously aren't capable of committing logic. No wonder you're an environmental wacko.

It is a strawman argument because the only one making that argument is you, not people like me. We can and have lived for quite some time with those environmental regulations with great success. Nissan, for example, recycles some 97% of its waste, waste that it is actually making money off of. They actually do more than is required by the regulations because it is a successful business model. In the 1990s The State of Kentucky imposed a moratorium on class 1 injection wells because they were damaging the environment. Dupont, which had been injecting raw HCL into fractured dolomite 3,000 feet below the City of Louisville filed for a restraining order, and lost. Then they 'magically' discovered that there was a process that could recover the waste HCL and turn it into a viable product. So they did that and made money off of what was once a waste product. The fact is that they were pumping a viable product into the ground for years because it was the easiest thing to do, and they weren't in the HCL business. Now they are.

The fact is that most corporations have found ways to offset the costs of environmental regulations and many even market how "green" they are. And so the ones who today are complaining the loudest about the regs are likely the ones causing the worst problems. And so perhaps they should be regulated more intensely. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, dude.

The answer is always simple. Give industry the environmental specs which they must meet, and it finds a way to make a profit, as revealed by orogenicman above.

The answer is always simple. Give industry the environmental specs which they must meet, and it finds a way to make a profit, as revealed by orogenicman above.

Sure. What difference does it make if the price of their product is 10 times what it was before the EPA issued its regulations, right asshole?

Yup. True entrepreneurs can establish their business environmentally sound. Those that can't shouldn't be up and running.

So why would you want to abolish the EPA and get rid of environmental laws?

Let's see, the abuse of power common to the cult of Leftism that populates it, comes to mind.

Remove the Left, remove all regulations which did not originate in Congress and presto.., the EPA is fine.

Sure. What difference does it make if the price of their product is 10 times what it was before the EPA issued its regulations, right asshole?
They could make products much cheaper if they were allowed to dump waste right into the river like they used to

Yup. True entrepreneurs can establish their business environmentally sound. Those that can't shouldn't be up and running.

That's ignores the point that environmental regulations drive up the cost of the product.

Forum List

Back