ESPN Panelist Calls National Anthem A "War Anthem"

Yeah Kevin Blackstone should STFU and keep rooting the good old U.S of A and never ever give any opinions about how are the US is just bully around the world and fucks up 9/10 and treats its people like crap even those who wear the uniform of an Army,Marines,Air Force,Navy, and ect. He should just shut up and wear flag pin and drink his miller light and STFU right Mudwhistle
Read it. Know it. Live it.

The song is a war anthem, quite appropriate in most settings, and the journalist is wrong.

WTF???

Most of that is gibberish. What language is that?

It's the national anthem of the Soviet Union...

I'm not sure why I know that...

I wonder why it didn't translate to English. Some of the words are recognizable, and some of them translate from Czech, but most of them seem like gibberish.

Google translate said it was Czech but could offer no translation.

Wtf does it have to do with this thread?

Song title: Lift ev'ry voice and sing
Also known as: The Black National Anthem
Also known as: The Negro National Anthem

Lift ev'ry voice and sing,
Till earth and heaven ring.
Ring with the harmonies of Liberty;
Let our rejoicing rise,
High as the list'ning skies,
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us,
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us;
Facing the rising sun of our new day begun,
Let us march on till victory is won.

Stony the road we trod,
Bitter the chast'ning rod,
Felt in the days when hope unborn had died;
Yet with a steady beat,
Have not our weary feet,
Come to the place for which our fathers sighed?
We have come over a way that with tears has been watered,
We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered,
Out from the gloomy past,
Till now we stand at last
Where the white gleam of our bright star is cast.

God of our weary years,
God of our silent tears,
Thou who has brought us thus far on the way;
Thou who has by Thy might,
Led us into the light,
Keep us forever in the path, we pray.
Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met Thee,
Lest our hearts, drunk with the wine of the world, we forget Thee,
Shadowed beneath thy hand,
May we forever stand,
True to our God,
True to our native land.

Whether it's a war song or not, what is the case for playing national anthems before sports events anyway? Makes no sense. If we go see the St. Louis Cardinals play the Atlanta Braves, are we really not sure what country we're in?

:dunno:

blackistone_new.jpg

ESPN panelist decries pre-game national anthem as ‘war anthem’

A panelist who appeared on a segment of ESPN’s “Around the Horn” discussion said sports games would be a lot better if they didn’t open with the National Anthem.

University of Maryland professor Kevin Blackstone made the comments during discussion of the new football uniforms at Northwestern University that have images of blood-spattered American flags, in honor of Wounded Warriors, The Blaze reported.

He said the country should quit playing the “war anthem” before athletic events — and also said the NFL has only furthered the “mythology” of Pat Tillman, an ex-Arizona Cardinals player who gave up his sports career to join the military, The Blaze said. Mr. Tillman was killed during service.

Read more: ESPN panelist decries pre-game national anthem as ?war anthem? - Washington Times
Follow us: [MENTION=39892]Was[/MENTION]htimes on Twitter

he may be entitled to his opinion. but.....My opinion counts too.....Blackstone in an asshole.
And ESPN has gone from a sports producing service to the sporting world's liberal political arm.
I don't watch ANY of ESPN's shows. Just the live sporting events.
Sports are supposed to be an escape from the issues of the day. Not a forum for political debate.
Has anyone noticed how ESPN takes a story runs with it and runs it until is is beaten to death by the network's seemingly endless number of analysts and pundits looking to have their two cents worth.

Yeah Kevin Blackstone should STFU and keep rooting the good old U.S of A and never ever give any opinions about how are the US is just bully around the world and fucks up 9/10 and treats its people like crap even those who wear the uniform of an Army,Marines,Air Force,Navy, and ect. He should just shut up and wear flag pin and drink his miller light and STFU right Mudwhistle

Ahh fuck you. Move to another country. This one is too good for you.

he may be entitled to his opinion. but.....My opinion counts too.....Blackstone in an asshole.
And ESPN has gone from a sports producing service to the sporting world's liberal political arm.
I don't watch ANY of ESPN's shows. Just the live sporting events.
Sports are supposed to be an escape from the issues of the day. Not a forum for political debate.

Assuming that's true (and I agree it is), then why are we playing/singing national anthems before sports events? Wtf do they have to do with each other?

There are no firm rules as to when and where to play a national anthem. In fact, national anthems are basically a new form of nationalism. Flags were a necessity to identify the various sides in wars. The music and fanfares also transmitted orders. But, having a national song of praise is simply a form of pride in one's country.

I have long felt that America the Beautiful is a far more appropriate piece to extol the beauties of this land.

But, some things come along and it seems impossible to replace them. The American Bald Eagle is a perfect example. Why a predator and eater of carrion superior to other national fowl such as the Turkey which is far more peaceful and, after the Brits fattened them up for us, a great food source. That should be our national bird. And, why is the eagle also our National Animal? Why not the Bison?

I wonder why it didn't translate to English. Some of the words are recognizable, and some of them translate from Czech, but most of them seem like gibberish.

Something to do with the tame National Anthem we have in comparison the the Soviet Union's extremely Warlike Anthem.

The USSR's is basically, "Let's kill those rotten bastards and gut them all like fish, murder their family, and shoot their worthless dog......."

Sort of like that.

Ours mostly talks about our flag still standing after another episode of British aggression.

There are no firm rules as to when and where to play a national anthem. In fact, national anthems are basically a new form of nationalism. Flags were a necessity to identify the various sides in wars. The music and fanfares also transmitted orders. But, having a national song of praise is simply a form of pride in one's country.

I have long felt that America the Beautiful is a far more appropriate piece to extol the beauties of this land.

But, some things come along and it seems impossible to replace them. The American Bald Eagle is a perfect example. Why a predator and eater of carrion superior to other national fowl such as the Turkey which is far more peaceful and, after the Brits fattened them up for us, a great food source. That should be our national bird. And, why is the eagle also our National Animal? Why not the Bison?

Because an animal that is a food source isn't a very good mascot.

It would presume that we're ready to be eaten.

Something to do with the tame National Anthem we have in comparison the the Soviet Union's extremely Warlike Anthem.

The USSR's is basically, "Let's kill those rotten bastards and gut them all like fish, murder their family, and shoot their worthless dog......."

Sort of like that.

Ours mostly talks about our flag still standing after another episode of British aggression.

I dunno, comparing the two if the translation is accurate, ours looks more gory than Russia's -- it's the entire song.
More gory than most actually. Most anthems celebrate their land and people and heritage. IOW most countries' anthems are more like America the Beautiful.

Is that a significant difference? I'd say so. Just as most countries have nothing like our pledge of allegiance. :eusa_think:

Last edited:

Sort of like that.

I dunno, comparing the two if the translation is accurate, ours looks more gory than Russia's -- it's the entire song.
More gory than most actually. Most anthems celebrate their land and people and heritage. IOW most countries' anthems are more like America the Beautiful.

Is that a significant difference? I'd say so. Just as most countries have nothing like our pledge of allegiance. :eusa_think:

Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?​

I think you're wrong.

Our's talks about our flag still being there in the morning after a fireworks display courtesy of the British.

Then there's the Reds:

National Anthem of the Soviet Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An unbreakable union of free republics,
The Great Rus' has welded forever to stand.
Long live the creation of the will of the people,
The united, mighty Soviet Union!
CHORUS:Be glorious, our free motherland,A reliable stronghold of the peoples' friendship!Banner of the Soviets, Banner of the people,May it lead from victory to victory!
Through tempests the sun of freedom shone to us,
And the great Lenin illuminated our path,
We were raised by Stalin to be true to the people,
To labour and exploits he inspired us!
CHORUS:Be glorious, our free motherland,A reliable stronghold of the peoples' happiness!Banner of the Soviets, Banner of the people,May it lead from victory to victory!
We grew our army in battles,
We will sweep the vile invaders out of the way!
We shall in battle decide the fate of generations,
We shall lead to glory our Motherland!
CHORUS:Be glorious, our free motherland,A reliable stronghold of the peoples' glory!Banner of the Soviets, Banner of the people,May it lead from victory to victory!​

Sounds like aggression and oppression to me.

Sort of like that.

I think you're wrong.

Our's talks about our flag still being there in the morning after a fireworks display courtesy of the British.

Then there's the Reds:

CHORUS:Be glorious, our free motherland,A reliable stronghold of the peoples' friendship!Banner of the Soviets, Banner of the people,May it lead from victory to victory!
CHORUS:Be glorious, our free motherland,A reliable stronghold of the peoples' happiness!Banner of the Soviets, Banner of the people,May it lead from victory to victory!
CHORUS:Be glorious, our free motherland,A reliable stronghold of the peoples' glory!Banner of the Soviets, Banner of the people,May it lead from victory to victory!​

That's exactly what I mean -- theirs doesn't even get into battle until the third verse. We're in it on the first line (you don't have a reason to cite the flag waving without a battle).

As far as "oppression", there's no difference between an American fighting off an invader and a Russian fighting off an invader, so that's a wash. The only difference is ours has a specific reference.

In effect theirs is about the country, ours is about a specific battle and more specifically about a flag.
It's curious, this flag fetishism. No one else really has it.

Last edited:

I think you're wrong.

Then there's the Reds:

That's exactly what I mean -- theirs doesn't even get into battle until the third verse. We're in it on the first line (you don't have a reason to cite the flag waving without a battle).

As far as "oppression", there's no difference between an American fighting off an invader and a Russian fighting off an invader, so that's a wash. The only difference is ours has a specific reference.

In effect theirs is about the country, ours is about a specific battle and more specifically about a flag.
It's curious, this flag fetishism. No one else really has it.

Regardless, the song is about British oppression and how we stood up to it.

I imagine for most people they might appreciate that and give thanks that our forefathers stood up to them. We essentially had had enough of their abuse.

God Dammit, what's wrong with that????

WTF???

Most of that is gibberish. What language is that?

like a lot of languages translation of exact words are not possible, they require a study homogenization based on tone, implication phraseology....ask Hillary- "reset" vis a vis "overcharge'...:lol: ...

Forum List

Back