ESPN’s Adam Schefter is reporting Jon Gruden to coach the Oakland Raiders

Papageorgio

The Ultimate Winner
May 18, 2010
I am sorry to see DelRio leave but he went from 12-4 to 6-10, so I understand the firing.

Would Gruden be a good coach? He has been out of coaching for 16 years, I’m not sure he is the right guy but I hope so. The team has talent and they should challenge for the top spot in the AFC.

Gruden won a Super Bowl with what was in large part Dungy's team. After that, the Bucs were up and down each year, winning record to losing record, and he seemed to lose control of the players. I've long thought Gruden overrated.

That said, before he went to the Bucs, he found success with the Raiders, and he's going back to that team. It might work out. I do think Del Rio got fired a bit too fast, though. The Raiders were 12-4 last year, they have had injury troubles, and Hue Jackson was able to retain the Cleveland job after going 0-16. :p

I like how Gruden knows football so from the announcer aspect he wis very good at figuring out what the teams would and why.

Coaching wise, I’m not sure he is better or worse than DelRio, I hope he can win some games and get the Raiders back to the Super Bowl, that is all that matters, wins.

unpossible

Gruden is just waiting for the right time to coach the Tennessee Volunteers

Jon Gruden is expected to become the next head coach, though the Raiders weren’t thrilled that became common knowledge before the regular-season finale
What's standing in the way of Raiders' quest for Jon Gruden reunion

He would be a good fit for Carr. Did not surprise me in the least that the Raiders had the bad year they had this year.Come on Jack Del Rio is not that good a coach.Last year was just a fluke. I always thought to myself back then after he had a winning season last year -okay lets see you do it two years in a row.did not happen did it? LOL

I always questioned the Raiders choice in him as their head coach.when they first hired him i was scratching my head back then saying-Del Rio is the new coach? I dont get that.He has never done anything as a head coach.He was a total failure at Jacksonville.

That more than anything was why I questioned the hiring the fact he never did a single thing in Jacksonville.:D

The guy only had a couple of winning seasons in his 9 year career in Jacksonville.Big wow.LOL

Last edited:
On the Golic and Wingo Show, he said that if offered the Oakland job he'd probably take it.

I think the team is playing the interview game to appease the Rooney Rule.

They are talking of Gruden being the highest paid NFL coach, however the ownership incentive is no longer a part of the deal.

Looks like Gruden is to be announced as the Raiders next head coach on Tuesday.
$100 million over 10 years, this will make him the highest paid coach in the NFL.
I hope this big money contract leads to big wins in the future.

Looks like Gruden is to be announced as the Raiders next head coach on Tuesday.
$100 million over 10 years, this will make him the highest paid coach in the NFL.
I hope this big money contract leads to big wins in the future.
So he only got 30 or 40 million of the 100? Wow. I guess he has enough money to go off and never be a part of football ever again. Sort of reminds me of the owner of the Clipper's who was found out to be a racist and had to sell the team for $2 billion. That poor man. LOL

Forum List

Back