Ethnically challenged Americans........

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
Among the AFP set, reforming public schools usually means converting them into non-union, privately-run charter schools. Nationally, AFP is a vocal proponent of charters and "school choice." And at the Michigan citizens training, one of the featured speakers, Norm Hughes, a member of the North Oakland Tea Party Patriots, offered this take on charters:

Kids aren't going to charter schools if they're "A" students. They go to charter schools because they're failing students and, by and large, the charter schools have a higher percentage of poor families, ethnically challenged families…

Ethnically challenged? Hughes did not explain what he meant, but you won't find that take on charters anywhere in the AFP literature. (Listen here to the audio of Hughes' comment, grabbed by Progress Michigan, a liberal advocacy group.)

Michigan Tea Partier: Charter Schools Are for Kids From "Ethnically Challenged Families" | Mother Jones

Wow...................................

So, according to the Tea Party, if you're poor, you're also "ethnically challenged".

I thought race and income were two separate things.

So, you are stating that the phrase "ethnically challenged" some sort of profiling method? Maybe racist?

Or are you saying that there are no families who are "ethnically challenged", and therefore racism in the United States no longer exists?

So, you are stating that the phrase "ethnically challenged" some sort of profiling method? Maybe racist?

Or are you saying that there are no families who are "ethnically challenged", and therefore racism in the United States no longer exists?

I think this tea bagger was trying to figure out a way to bring race into it without being called a racist.

Ethnically challenged? Does this mean that you are handicapped because of your race?

Only with the tea baggers apparently.

When the pattern "'X'-challenged" is used, it generally suggests an absence or deficiency in 'X.' How could one be lacking in ethnicity?

Just out of curiosity, what are the demographics of Charter schools? Do they have to report them to any sort of oversight committee?

When I saw the topic title, an image of white people who can't dance sprang to mind. :lol:

Forum List

Back